Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Who's had it worse? Cubs fans or ANYONE ELSE?

I'm open to ideas....

..no, seriously.

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'm open to ideas....

..no, seriously.

Cleveland Browns? They lose their team, only to watch it become a Superbowl winner and they get new ownership that is now being investigated for criminal activity, a crazy management (Joe Banner was insane in Philly) and they are now placing their hopes on Manziel.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'll toss out one for each major sport...

Vikings fans?
Marlins fans?
Jazz fans?
Maple Leafs fans?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Timberwolves
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Marlins fans got 2 World Series to enjoy - nope
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Being a Viking fan I would say them or Buffalo, but at least we got to the big game a few times in recent history.

Hard to say anybody had it worse than the Cubs, especially as much as much as they have teased their fans over the years. (1969, 1984, 2003)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Browns and Lions
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Those fans at that match in Hillsborough definitely had it worse.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'd expand Cleveland Browns to say the city of Cleveland. At least Chicago has the Bulls and Blackhawks.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Kansas City __________ fans????
Old 06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, I'd expand Cleveland Browns to say the city of Cleveland. At least Chicago has the Bulls and Blackhawks.

If its expanded to cities its absolutely Cleveland. With individual teams its harder to say because all other teams discussed have been to championship games in our parents' lifetimes, if not ours (for the bills and some vikings fans). At some point though that becomes irrelevant. I'm not going to try to argue with any Lions fan under say 60 years old that they don't have it as bad as me as a Cubs fan.

Until Blake Griffin I would have made a case for the Clippers, I'm not sure now, though they still haven't won anything and still have spent decades with Donald Sterling as their owner. That's worth something in this discussion.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

If not for the Twins '87 and '91 titles the Twin Cities would really be the worst sports history for fans in a region.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-09-2014 at 01:14 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Those fans at that match in Hillsborough definitely had it worse.

Yeah, I'll throw my hat behind this. We're all still alive.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
Shepp
High School Varsity

No mention of Pirates fans?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I'll toss out one for each major sport...

Vikings fans?
Marlins fans?
Jazz fans?
Maple Leafs fans?

Looking at major sports

Professional football in Ohio (Browns we know about but Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 23 years). A 21 year old kid can drink but hasn't been alive for a Bengals playoff victory. I see why he would need to drink now. The Bengals also have the longest conference title appearance drought.

Royals in baseball? 28 years without one playoff game is an awfully long time. Even Cubs fans have been given some hope. You would think with the expanded playoffs they could have gotten out of the horrible central at least once.

Clippers or Hawks in the NBA? 44 years and neither team has played in a conference final(started in 1970). That's a long time...

All I know about hockey is that Canada is on a long drought lifting the Cup.

I think Atlanta is given a pass too often on a horrible town to root for your home team.

Braves have the only title in town I think and at least made the World Series but besides that... Baseball was great if you like being teased... but the other 3 sports...

The NHL teams sucked (Thrashers went 0-4 lifetime in games and the Flames were 2-16 in 6 playoff series for a great 2-20 all time in games). Name the best Thrasher/Flames player... Ugh...

Hawks have never made the conference finals since they were created in 1970 (so you are 0-0 in semifinal/final NBA games). You had 'Nique and... DYK Jon Koncak is 5th all time in games played in an Atlanta hawks uniform. Think about that...

The Falcons have won 7 playoff games since 1966. The Browns/Lions have had players with great careers there at least. The Falcons all-time leading rusher is Gerald Riggs. Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Gerald Riggs... Ugh... If I asked most for the most famous Falcon I would assume Vick would be named. He played less games in a Falcons uniform than Tony Gonzales.

The only other 4 sport city I can think of with nothing to cheer about is Phoenix. DBacks have the only title I think.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

After living in Atlanta for 15 years my takeaway was that Atlanta really isn't a pro sports city and doesn't count in the discussion, despite the number of teams they have.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd say those people who have to listen to fans rail about how their team has had it worse have had it worse.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
After living in Atlanta for 15 years my takeaway was that Atlanta really isn't a pro sports city and doesn't count in the discussion, despite the number of teams they have.

Not sure about others there, but nearly 40 years of bad teams have had quite an effect on my apathy for sports as an Atlanta fan.

The Hawks were not that bad in the mid-80s, but not that bad was just good enough to be slaughtered by the 76ers then the Celtics , the Pistons and finally the Bulls every year through that decade.

The Falcons were horrific however in the 80s, but haven't been that bad the last few seasons (well other than last year of course). However once again, not that bad was just good enough to get a bad draft pick and a late tee time.

I had moved away before the Thrashers came to town, but the Flames were just horrible when they were there.

The Braves had been the only shining glimmer of hope for the last 20 years, and even with them if not for the one championship they finally did get they were commonly called the Buffalo Bills of Baseball prior to that.

That one title is the only thing that prevented Atlanta from going since 1967 (the approximate year most of their teams started up) without anything to show for it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That and the record 15(? 14? 16?) straight division titles that led to apathy for getting playoff tickets in the city. Success is not measured solely by championships.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
Klinglerware
College Starter

Well, the Cubs are going to win it all next year (if "Back to the Future Part II" is to be believed)...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Expos
Lions
Jets maybe the Panthers although they did have that rat run (NHL)
Raptors
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
cody8200
High School Varsity

The Cubs fans - including myself - have it far worse. Entire generations are dying, having watched the Cubs their entire lives, without seeing them win a WS. My grandpa is 91, been watching/listening the Cubs since he was 5 years old - 100 games per season. It seems unlikely he'll see it happen and it sucks.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Well, the Cubs are going to win it all next year (if "Back to the Future Part II" is to be believed)...

I'm waiting for MLB to announce Miami is moving to the AL. Then all the stars would be perfectly aligned.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

On the way out of the stadium last night we stopped and pissed on a couple Cubs fans just so they could have a really horrible experience at the game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
The Cubs fans - including myself - have it far worse. Entire generations are dying, having watched the Cubs their entire lives, without seeing them win a WS. My grandpa is 91, been watching/listening the Cubs since he was 5 years old - 100 games per season. It seems unlikely he'll see it happen and it sucks.

I think Seattle Mariners fans can make a run at it although they don't quite get there -- only because they haven't been around as long.

37 years, no World Series appearances and only 2 league championship appearances. This team had 3 of the best players of their generation -- Ken Griffey, Jr., Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez -- all at the same time! 2 first ballot HOFers + A Rod, who would be one if he hadn't been a juicer. Not even an ALCS appearance with that crew.

The Cubbies at least made the World Series the season when they won 116 games. Seattle did a face plant against the Yankees. Then all the steroids in the world couldn't prop up their aging roster, and they have been completely irrelevant in the decade since.

Seattle may come out ahead if you factor in the futility of the Seattle Pilots/Milwaukee Brewers. That would bring them up to 80+ years with only one WS appearance. The Seattle taint lingers.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #26
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Padres fans?
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #27
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
Padres fans?

Only slightly older than the Mariners but with 2 WS appearances. I think Seattle has you beat.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote