Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

I support the second amendment...unless it's a %^&$ing smartgun

Maryland dealer, under pressure from gun-rights activists, drops plan to sell smart gun - The Washington Post
Quote:
A Rockville gun store owner who said he would sell the nation’s first smart gun — even after a California gun store removed the weapon from its shelves to placate angry gun-rights activists — backed down late Thursday night after enduring a day of protests and death threats.

Andy Raymond, the co-owner of Engage Armament, a store known for its custom assault rifles, had said earlier this week that offering the Armatix iP1 handgun was a “really tough decision” after what happened to the Oak Tree Gun Club near Los Angeles. Oak Tree was lambasted by gun owners and National Rifle Association members who fear the new technology will be mandated and will encroach on Second Amendment rights.

Electronic chips in the gun communicate with a watch that can be bought separately. The gun cannot be fired without the watch.
Are hardcore supporters of the second amendment just delaying the inevitable when they protest the sale of smart guns? At some point these are going on sale somewhere, right?

I kind of agree with the store owner in a weird way. You want to be able to buy any kind of gun? Then why are you keeping me from buying *this* gun? I realize that once one is sold, a NJ law will kick in mandating all gun sales be smart guns - although I don't know how that stands up to a legal challenge.

Anyway - pretty interesting, particularly from a technological perspective.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wonder how much longer it is going to be until gun safes and trigger locks are deemed to be infringing on 2nd Amendment rights.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Seems like a business decision rather some patriotic gesture or constitutional argument.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Seems like a business decision rather some patriotic gesture or constitutional argument.

By the owner not offering it? "after enduring a day of protests and death threats" doesn't sound like a business decision

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I wonder how much longer it is going to be until gun safes and trigger locks are deemed to be infringing on 2nd Amendment rights.

I guess it depends.

Do the gunsafes and trigger locks you speak of include the ability to remotely lock their rightful owners out through electronic signal? If so id sya they infringe pretty heavily.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
By the owner not offering it? "after enduring a day of protests and death threats" doesn't sound like a business decision

SI

Oh ya, I think I had that backwards and failed to read effectively (you'd think I'd have the hang of it by now).

Last edited by molson : 05-02-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I guess it depends.

Do the gunsafes and trigger locks you speak of include the ability to remotely lock their rightful owners out through electronic signal? If so id sya they infringe pretty heavily.
LOOKOUT ONSTAR!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Easy Mac

Quote:
I guess it depends.

I don't see mention of electronics in the constitution.

Stupid founders... how could they not think this far ahead...
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I don't see mention of electronics in the constitution.

Stupid founders... how could they not think this far ahead...

Come on.
Dont be obtuse.

There is legislation that has been introduced in the House (and failed) twice to REQUIRE this technology on all new guns purchased.

Its not even a slippery slope from this technology being on the market to being required.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
LOOKOUT ONSTAR!

I am sorry. When did GM advertise "One of the great features is the ability for law enforcement selectively disable your car."

Yes I know they can do that but they were at least smart enough not to make it their advertising campaign.

And a key to the entire 2nd ammendment is the well regulated militia and free state part. The enitre premise of a federal government being able to disarm all its citizens effortlessly is kind of against the spirit of it, don't ya think.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

I am shocked that they are hypocrites. Just shocked.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
And a key to the entire 2nd ammendment is the well regulated militia and free state part. The enitre premise of a federal government being able to disarm all its citizens effortlessly is kind of against the spirit of it, don't ya think.
You are taking some pretty big leaps there. The federal government is not some monolithic rights taker that can disable all of the planes and guns and cars with the push of a button. I wish it was that efficient.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I am sorry. When did GM advertise "One of the great features is the ability for law enforcement selectively disable your car."

Yes I know they can do that but they were at least smart enough not to make it their advertising campaign.

But the government can do it as part of a punitive action, i.e. built-in breathalyzers for repeat DUI offenders. However, driving is not a Constitutionally protected right, so I am not sure about the precedent here.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
But the government can do it as part of a punitive action, i.e. built-in breathalyzers for repeat DUI offenders. However, driving is not a Constitutionally protected right, so I am not sure about the precedent here.

They already ban people convicted of certain crimes from owning firearms.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
You are taking some pretty big leaps there. The federal government is not some monolithic rights taker that can disable all of the planes and guns and cars with the push of a button. I wish it was that efficient.

That is precisiely the issue here, inmy opinion.
Part of the precipice of this technology is a centralized database registered and owned by the ATF.

Literally eye in the sky disables the weapon.

Take it a step further from our benevolent government so many trust more than I.

Let's say we find ourselves in serious war and we have enemy soldiers on American Soil. Whats to stop a cyber hack from disarming a large portion of society should this technology become widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Right. So you would be ok with goiverment mandating On Star in all new vehicles. Even given its not a constitutional right, you still would be Ok with that being a mandate?

Quote:
They already ban people convicted of certain crimes from owning firearms.

Taking away a right WITH CAUSE is not an issue, so far as I am concerned. taking it away on a lark is a much greater issue.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Taking away a right WITH CAUSE is not an issue, so far as I am concerned. taking it away on a lark is a much greater issue.

But just because the possibility exists doesn't make it unconstitutional. If there was a way to electronically block these devices from functioning, that in itself isn't unconstitutional. There are many things that exist that have the ability to impede other constitutional rights.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But just because the possibility exists doesn't make it unconstitutional. If there was a way to electronically block these devices from functioning, that in itself isn't unconstitutional. There are many things that exist that have the ability to impede other constitutional rights.

understood and agreed.

I am not arguing that these devices should be illegal.
I am trying to say (albeit poorly) that one can be Pro 2A and anti smart gun and not be hypocritical.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
understood and agreed.

I am not arguing that these devices should be illegal.
I am trying to say (albeit poorly) that one can be Pro 2A and anti smart gun and not be hypocritical.

Disagree. All the pro gun owners yell from the skies about how responsible they are. Well if that's so true they shouldn't need to worry abou this technology.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
The Jackal
Coordinator

wtf is a smart gun
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I see both sides of this issue.

But, man, a LOT of damage is done in our inner cities by criminals with stolen guns. If we have the technology to make those guns useless, that is a really really good thing.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

I wouldn't support the technology if there was a global kill switch. I think we can have them without that.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

But, man, a LOT of damage is done in our inner cities by criminals with stolen guns. If we have the technology to make those guns useless, that is a really really good thing.

Beause when you steal the gun you wouldnt steal the "watch"?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #23
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Disagree. All the pro gun owners yell from the skies about how responsible they are. Well if that's so true they shouldn't need to worry abou this technology.

Huh

It's 2AM someone just kicked in my door. My pistol is on the nightstand beside my bed. I grab it as the burglar walks into my room. When it gets 12" away from the "watch/bracelet" it wont fire....

This isnt about responsible gun ownership this is about surrendering your right to use your firearm to a third party....

That doesnt even consider a dead battery rendering the "e-key" dead and you gun a handy rock to throw at someone.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I see I am in the super minority amongst this community. I respect that. And I feel very strongly about 2A issues. In fact forced to choose, I'd willingly surrender every other right granted by the bill of rights before the right to bear arms.

It is what makes all the other rights enforceable to the people.

That said I a never likely to convince someone whom firearms arent an integral part of their life to share my views.

The only material posessions in this world I cherish are all guns. Nearly every fond memory I have of family involves guns and outdoor sporting activities of some sort. I have a gun on my person every day of my life.

I live in a very rural area. The nearest police station is 20 miles away and we have 1 county deputy assigned to about a 25mile radius near where I live. I cant count on others to protect me. I do it myself.

Again its an essential part of my existence. For those here who have met me IRL rest assured I was armed when we met. Wherever we were.

With that I'll bow out before this goes down a path I dont feel like engaging.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

So you are for the right to bear arms but not if it comes with an optional accessory that some might use for their own safety.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I see I am in the super minority amongst this community. I respect that. And I feel very strongly about 2A issues. In fact forced to choose, I'd willingly surrender every other right granted by the bill of rights before the right to bear arms.

Do you honestly think if the government wanted to turn us into North Korea you and everyone else in this country who owns a gun, smart or not, would have any power to stop it?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
Drake
assmaster

I don't understand pistols for home defense.

I mean, that's why God invented the short-barrel 12-gauge pump shotgun. Even fits in the nightstand (if you've got a big nightstand).

ETA: I don't worry about smartgun technology. An 18 year old kid figured out how to write software that brought the music industry to its knees twenty years ago. How long would it really take to circumvent a smartgun chip in the event that it *did* become mandated?

Last edited by Drake : 05-02-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Drake
assmaster

dola...

For the record, if guns became universally illegal tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them. They're not part of my day-to-day life, so I wouldn't really notice their absence -- well, except for the fact that I'd have two clear afternoons a year where I wouldn't have to take out my shotgun and clean it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #29
Shepp
High School Varsity

What I don't understand is that there are already laws in place against injuring or killing someone, with a gun or any other weapon. The penalties for committing these crimes, in some places, includes death. If these laws don't deter someone from committing assault or murder, what makes anyone think that outlawing the individual weapon would be any more effective?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
chadritt
High School Varsity

because there are places, with admittedly different histories of gun glorification, where its worked quite well?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
Shepp
High School Varsity

Outlawing guns has eliminated assault and murder? Where has this happened?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #32
chadritt
High School Varsity

Well if you want to reduce assault and murder to zero then no, if you want to talk about helping then its a different story.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
Shepp
High School Varsity

How big of a reduction counts as "helping"? If I had made up my mind that I am going to kill someone, despite the possible penalty of death here in GA. Why would a 1 to 5 year prison sentence for illegally possessing a weapon deter me?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
How big of a reduction counts as "helping"? If I had made up my mind that I am going to kill someone, despite the possible penalty of death here in GA. Why would a 1 to 5 year prison sentence for illegally possessing a weapon deter me?

Well if the death penalty isn't going to stop you from murdering someone, then no penalty will, so let's get rid of all penalties for murder.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #35
chadritt
High School Varsity

Lets put it this way: Im from GA, my whole family is from GA...except my father and his family who now live in Australia where they used to have guns until they basically got rid of them with strict regulation. They feel quite adamant about the fact my little brother is MUCH safer where he is now to the point my father can no longer believe we dont attempt what they did. Nobodys saying all guns went away, nobodys saying all assault went away, what they ARE saying is that reducing the guns on the streets has been proven to keep people safer. Since you feel like just making it about gun deaths then you should acknowledge that there are one third as many gun deaths there as there were roughly ten years ago, if you go back to the 70s its almost one fourth. From 1990 to 2011, the stats i have on hand, homicide rates in total dropped to less than half.

Last edited by chadritt : 05-02-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If the gun nuts don't want a smart gun, don't f*cking buy a smart gun. Simple solution.

Also, the government is not going to turn into an oppressive dictatorship; no matter how loud the conspiracy lunatics are.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #37
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Well if the death penalty isn't going to stop you from murdering someone, then no penalty will, so let's get rid of all penalties for murder.

You're missing my point. I am not saying that we shouldn't have any laws. I'm saying that adding additional laws, that overlap with existing laws, isn't going to give you any better results than just sticking with the original laws.

Last edited by Shepp : 05-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #39
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Lets put it this way: Im from GA, my whole family is from GA...except my father and his family who now live in Australia where they used to have guns until they basically got rid of them with strict regulation. They feel quite adamant about the fact my little brother is MUCH safer where he is now to the point my father can no longer believe we dont attempt what they did. Nobodys saying all guns went away, nobodys saying all assault went away, what they ARE saying is that reducing the guns on the streets has been proven to keep people safer. Since you feel like just making it about gun deaths then you should acknowledge that there are one third as many gun deaths there as there were roughly ten years ago, if you go back to the 70s its almost one fourth. From 1990 to 2011, the stats i have on hand, homicide rates in total dropped to less than half.

You are aware that US statistics follow a similar pattern (though not as dramatic) during the same time line, right?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-02-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #40
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
You are aware that US statistics follow a similar pattern (though not as dramatic) during the same time line, right?

Actually the decline in the murder rate in the USA since 1990 is as dramatic:

http://static4.businessinsider.com/i...arly-1980s.jpg
Old 05-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #41
miked
College Starter

Quote:

That said I a never likely to convince someone whom firearms arent an integral part of their life to share my views.

The only material posessions in this world I cherish are all guns. Nearly every fond memory I have of family involves guns and outdoor sporting activities of some sort. I have a gun on my person every day of my life.

I live in a very rural area. The nearest police station is 20 miles away and we have 1 county deputy assigned to about a 25mile radius near where I live. I cant count on others to protect me. I do it myself.

Again its an essential part of my existence. For those here who have met me IRL rest assured I was armed when we met. Wherever we were.

With that I'll bow out before this goes down a path I dont feel like engaging.

Free speech and voting aren't quite as useful as a pistol?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Also, could you imagine if the watch had built-in GPS that sends the location of the owner and the gun back to the FBI or city police? That would be very helpful in proactive law enforcement. If a guy who lives predominately in the southeast side of town suddenly crosses the railroad tracks with his gun, we could send a car over to either arrest, survey, or at least do a search and seizure....drug checks, whatever. Why not? The technology exists, after all, to do it. Think of the lives we could save by strictly enforcing strong laws against ourselves.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #43
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Also, could you imagine if the watch had built-in GPS that sends the location of the owner and the gun back to the FBI or city police? That would be very helpful in proactive law enforcement. If a guy who lives predominately in the southeast side of town suddenly crosses the railroad tracks with his gun, we could send a car over to either arrest, survey, or at least do a search and seizure....drug checks, whatever. Why not? The technology exists, after all, to do it. Think of the lives we could save by strictly enforcing strong laws against ourselves.

I would be very against this and I am all for more government involvement when it comes to gun ownership. This presumes someone is guilty when they could have been going to visit their cousin.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #44
molson
General Manager

To see the perspective of the gun side here, imagine a proposal that the government puts microchips into every citizen so we can track where they are at all times. That's about what some of the the broader smart-gun tracking ideas feel like to them. If you don't have guns, don't value them, don't value the right to own then, then of course, who cares if and how then guns are tracked. But if they're a part of your life, then it starts to get scary. To them, it sounds like the equivalent of when someone might say, "well hey, if you don't have drugs in your car, then who cares if the police search it?" You don't have to agree with the perspective yourself, but I think if the gun control side makes the effort to try to understand that other perspective, there's a better chance at compromises.

Last edited by molson : 05-03-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To see the perspective of the gun side here, imagine a proposal that the government puts microchips into every citizen so we can track where they are at all times. That's about what some of the the broader smart-gun tracking ideas feel like to them. If you don't have guns, don't value them, don't value the right to own then, then of course, who cares if and how then guns are tracked. But if they're a part of your life, then it starts to get scary. To them, it sounds like the equivalent of when someone might say, "well hey, if you don't have drugs in your car, then who cares if the police search it?" You don't have to agree with the perspective yourself, but I think if the gun control side makes the effort to try to understand that other perspective, there's a better chance at compromises.

I really wish we could see the firmware specs and guarantee that it had no tracking capability. Actually, we should be able to tell if it has a transmitter or not by taking it apart. I don't support something that has a GPS or transmitter in it. But I do support it strongly if it is just a simple logic chip that checks your fingerprint or whatever before you can fire it. I don't have a gun, don't think I'll ever own a gun, but I also share the concerns of those who want something where you can tell where a gun is at all time or can disable it at any time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would be very much opposed to a government mandated kill switch, but this isn't that. If a company wants to make these guns and another company wants to sell them, and individuals want to buy them, they should be free to do so.

The logic of the fear of this gun has to go something like this:

If this company sells these,

People will buy them,

When people buy them they will become popular,

When they are popular lots of gun stores will sell them,

When lots of gun stores sell them the government will mandate the technology,

When the technology is mandated the government will create a universal kill switch,

When the kill switch is created the government will become tyrannical,

When the government becomes tyrannical the people will rise up in opposition,

But they can't rise up because this gun shop started selling this gun.

We're nowhere close to that point and there is no reason to believe we will ever get to that point. Hell, we can't even get background checks at gun shows, but we really need to fear the government getting the power to control all guns?

I doubt this gun would sell much anyway, so why all the paranoid fuss?

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #47
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would be very against this and I am all for more government involvement when it comes to gun ownership. This presumes someone is guilty when they could have been going to visit their cousin.

You would not be in favor of saving thousands of lives every year?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #48
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Do you people not have f*cking phones? Worried about being tracked by having a gun...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #49
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'll make it known that I don't support the government using precogs to arrest people before they commit a crime.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #50
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Do you people not have f*cking phones? Worried about being tracked by having a gun...

I think a lot of people are concerned these days about the government collecting data from their email and phone activities. If you value that technology, it's a problem.. If you value gun ownership, then such theoretical tracking or data collection (and I understand this is at the more theoretical end at this point) would also be a problem. In this instance, the extra dynamic is that so many people just don't like or look down upon people who value their gun rights, so I think a lot of them WANT those people to be tracked, regardless of criminal activity.