Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Windows 8 - love it or hate it?

I just posted in 'I want a new laptop' thread about windows 8 and it started me thinking ... are there people out there who like that OS and is it just that I haven't used it enough to adapt to it?

(its got to the stage now when I use my Mac for most things and only use Win8 when I NEED to debug something on windows, frankly the opposite situation to a few years ago)

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Once I found Windows-s gets me to a search prompt, which is all I ever used the start menu for, I was fine with it. Wouldn't say I love it, but I don't have the animosity towards it that others have.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Love it. I mean it doesn't take long to figure it all out and I find it to be pretty intuitive (albeit I do most of my stuff on the 'Desktop', but I can easily find what I need on the Start screen).
Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Once I found Windows-s gets me to a search prompt, which is all I ever used the start menu for, I was fine with it. Wouldn't say I love it, but I don't have the animosity towards it that others have.

Though you don't even really need Windows-s... Windows button and then start typing - search automatically comes up.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love it. I have a Surface Pro 2 and it is bees knees.

Counterpoint: my wife hates it. About once a week she threatens to throw the SP2 through a window.

So I guess to each their own?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Don't get the hate either. I haven't had any issues running old apps. It seems like people are hard-wired to the good/bad releases of Windows, and since Windows 7 was 'good', the only option for Windows 8 is 'bad'. I get that some folks might not like the Metro interface, but once you make one click you are back to the old familiar desktop.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 05-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Though you don't even really need Windows-s... Windows button and then start typing - search automatically comes up.

Last time I tried that it brought me to metro interface. Maybe they'vessince changed it? Either way, no big deal.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's fine. Unoffensive.

Now a touch-screen laptop - that's some freaky shit I haven't yet wrapped my mind around.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Still haven't used it. I have a Mac at home and while my work laptop will surely get upgraded at some ti... hahahahahahahaha....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hate it. If I wanted a tablet I would have bought one.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

I prefer Windows 7 but know its me.

My wife has it on her desktop and I can't get the hang of it yet. Its because I don't use it a lot.

Thinking I just need to make the change and (re)learn where to find things.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Seems pointless - they layered on an interface that actually makes it harder to locate and perform basic windows tasks. I have a touchscreen ultra book.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I still don't know how to do certain things in it, but it is alright. I still prefer Windows 7.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

It's a steaming pile of shit.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
General Mike
Pro Starter

It's ok. I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 and the only reason I'm on 8 is because I bought a new laptop.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm happy with it with Start 8 installed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't care one way or the other. XP is still my favorite Windows operating system ever.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Eh, one click to get to desktop, and then I get to enjoy the other performance benefits. Love it, but not enough to force it on the wife's and kids' machines yet.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm on 7, with no reason to move to 8. There's not a single 'feature' of 8 that I have any use for, and most reviews state that 8.1 is negligible at best for gaming performance over 7.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

I think the initial release was pretty poor and I think the decision to include all of these horrible, horrible apps that no one likes on the default main screen hurt them pretty badly as that gets lumped in with the "CHANGE IS SCARY" complaints (not only is change scary but it appears like they're trying to force me to change to use some awful crap). But I think its in a fine, usable state now and I'm pleased with it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I bought a gaming pc with Win 8.1....Turned it on, got confused, unplugged and went back to my Win7 beast even though it is barely functioning and is wheezing its last breaths....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I've had no troubles(compatibility or otherwise) with 8. Took some getting use to, but I actually like it now.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
Ryan S
Quarterback

With Start 8 it is basically Windows 7 with better performance and a few new features. I would advise anyone to buy whichever OS is cheaper.

I have been using Windows 8 daily for almost 18 months, and I have not seen the metro screen for months, so it is easy to avoid.

I don't think I could go back to Windows 7 on my home PC. I think I would miss the sub 10 second boot up.

Last edited by Ryan S : 05-02-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #24
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Eh, one click to get to desktop, and then I get to enjoy the other performance benefits. Love it, but not enough to force it on the wife's and kids' machines yet.

Just to check something - the people who say this sort of thing; do you ever need to get to the 'innards' of the computer to do things - ie. configuration changes, drivers, command line tools ... anything above the basic stuff (ie. internet, email, games etc.).
Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Just to check something - the people who say this sort of thing; do you ever need to get to the 'innards' of the computer to do things - ie. configuration changes, drivers, command line tools ... anything above the basic stuff (ie. internet, email, games etc.).

Yep. Control Panel, regedit, Computer Management and all of that stuff are still there in the same places they have always been.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, those aren't all the difficult either. Either right click on the bottom left hand corner or pull up the Control Panel from the right hand side menu.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #27
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yep. Control Panel, regedit, Computer Management and all of that stuff are still there in the same places they have always been.

All seemed to have changed substantially for me whenever I try and configure something I feel like I'm 'breaking the law' or something as it all seems horribly hidden away trying to get down to looking for the raw driver information or IP addresses etc.

Some of this might be because I'm working remotely these days though so do this sort of thing more rarely than I once did ...
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What is this "Start 8" thing? Is it a separate patch/program I have to download/enable?

I like the sound of it, since 99.99% of the time I just click-thru to the desktop and do what I want to do from there anyways.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

I hate it with every fiber of my being. If I want a tablet I will use a tablet.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

It seems like there are many people that don't realize you aren't locked into the Metro interface.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #31
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What is this "Start 8" thing? Is it a separate patch/program I have to download/enable?

Yeah, its a $5 3rd party program to give you the old desktop feel. Can trial it for a month for free I believe. I've been told with 8.1 a lot less people feel the need to use start type programs but I already had it myself so I haven't bothered to try.

Start8 Start menu for Windows 8. Bring the Windows 8 Start menu back.

There are other alternatives to Start8 that do similar things, that's the one I use though.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems like there are many people that don't realize you aren't locked into the Metro interface.

I realized it, but just haven't taken the time to correct it, since you can get past it so quickly. I mean literally, it's clicking "Desktop" the one time you see the Metro screen.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #33
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I realized it, but just haven't taken the time to correct it, since you can get past it so quickly. I mean literally, it's clicking "Desktop" the one time you see the Metro screen.

Yep. But some people seem to be saying that they are only using the Metro interface. At least that's how I interpret all of the tablet sentiments.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yeah, its a $5 3rd party program to give you the old desktop feel. Can trial it for a month for free I believe. I've been told with 8.1 a lot less people feel the need to use start type programs but I already had it myself so I haven't bothered to try.

If you decide to buy Start8 there is a 10% discount coupon which will save you about 50 cents. When I bought it, there was a 20% coupon at the end of the trial period, but that was back in 2012.

S8-MNPS-XJLA-AHHY

Start8 (or any of the free start menu apps) is a better option than the standard 8.1 menu, which is a weird hybrid of the old start menu and the metro icons.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It sucks, especially since 8.1 update. If I leave it unattended for a couple minutes it completely locks up, except for still allowing me to move the mouse cursor around. I tried everything that I was told may fix it but nothing works. I just shutdown if I am leaving the room for a few minutes. Because of this I haven't used the laptop much anymore.

Looks like this has been a relatively common issue based upon the number of threads that I found on it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #36
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

DT, you can also check out Classic Shell for free to see if that suits ya. It's what i use.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-02-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #37
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
With Start 8 it is basically Windows 7 with better performance and a few new features. I would advise anyone to buy whichever OS is cheaper.

I have been using Windows 8 daily for almost 18 months, and I have not seen the metro screen for months, so it is easy to avoid.

I don't think I could go back to Windows 7 on my home PC. I think I would miss the sub 10 second boot up.

This has been my experience (though I've only been using it for about 3 months). I dig the performance boost...and I actually feel like I've got more control over my PC now than I did with Windows 7. I use the Metro bit for the things I used to have RSS feeds for (checking box scores, latest news stories, weather forecasts), but otherwise jump straight to desktop.

Running vanilla 8.1, all of the same sorts of tools I needed access to from the start menu in 7 are a right-click away.

I'm running 8.1 Enterprise edition, though, so that might make a difference from the home version.

I don't have a touchscreen (and don't want one on my laptop -- if I want a touchscreen, I'll use my phone or my iPad), but I don't have any issues finding the things I need quickly with a mouse and keyboard.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I hate it with every fiber of my being. If I want a tablet I will use a tablet.

My thoughts exactly...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #39
Dutch
"Dutch"

I use Windows 8 in desktop mode almost exclusively because I am not a fan of the tablet experience...even on my tablet! I definitely see the desire for that to exist with a multitude of platforms in which MS wants their OS to be available on.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-03-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

Honestly, the only reason to not use 8 is if you already have 7.

I've been using 8 and while it takes some getting used to, it's not nearly as bad as people say. I almost never use Metro, but I do use it. I don't use the apps at all.

Aside from that it's pretty much 7. Not worth the trouble to mess with it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

With or without the Metro interface the normal "desktop" and the way it works is annoying. I shouldn't have to install some 3rd party software to make something work as it should have out of the box. Microsoft has admitted as much especially since their next major update to the OS will make it perform like Windows 7.

I have seen no significant improvements to performance with the use of Windows 8. So I'm not sure where any of you are getting that from.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #42
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I was fine with it until 8.1, which seems quite unstable in the Metro mode. But it was fun creating the big icons for FOF7.

The big problem is that you really should go with the more expensive version just for the codecs. Every time I want to do something with media, it's a nightmare.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-03-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #43
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

More fun. Can't use my laptop today as it is in an eternal update fail loop. Windows 8 blows.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #44
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

On the bright side, rage posting from my phone seemed to be the final key for the laptop to stop the cycle after 2 and a half hours.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

There's things I don't like about it, mainly the fact I can't quickly/easily access programs like I would in my start menu. Also the default pdf/image viewer programs are awful and I have to alt-tab to get out/back in to them.

Minor quibbles though, really. Yeah, I'm being forced to use a tablet GUI on a PC, but after a few months I'm used to it, and I think it runs pretty well to be honest. I had no issues with Windows 7 either, though. Having to use iOS for work reasons recently, I definitely prefer the current generations of the Microsoft OS.