Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

LinkedIn: Do you use it?

I have a profile on LinkedIn, a small group of contacts (people I know or have chatted with quite a bit before adding them)...I get the concept and it certainly has some value, but two things bug me: 1) "The pay-to-play" walls at time. 2) Randomly contacting strangers.

Am I alone in finding it to be a bit over-hyped?

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Desnudo
Coordinator

What industry do you work in? I get job interest all the time through linkedin. It's also a great way to keep tabs on what former co-workers are up to. You shouldn't have to randomly contact strangers. That's the point. The premium part has never interested me. It might if I was looking for work.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Have a profile and connect with business contacts...but thats about it.
Cant remember that Ive ever posted much if anything and rarely read much either.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I've been on about a year but don't use it much. It's starting to pick up in my company some though.

Last edited by vex : 03-30-2014 at 09:54 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, heavily. For recruiting and networking.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've never been a fan personally, see it quite frequently mentioned in my industry, I'm just not inclined to get/be involved.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I've actually started using it more the past month, reconnecting with former colleagues. I had one review a resume I was submitting for a position more in her area of experience. That's been the only tangible benefit to date. If I were looking for a job, I can definitely see the value there as well.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

One person updated her resume and got three calls for interviews within a week. Of course, she was updating it since she just got a job.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I've been contacted a few times by recruiters so I think it has its place.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Yes, it definitely has a place and potential employers do check to see if you have a profile.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

I've been contacted many, many times by recruiters but most of them are so irrelevant to the skills I have listed right there in my profile, or just a blatant attempt to get my resume on file that I've stopped responding. Had one semi-serious phone conversation that didn't go anywhere because of location, other than that replying seems like a complete waste of my time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #12
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

ive been on it for years, and have a huge network... but i only sign in every 6 months. Im not looking for a job, and if I was the gov doesnt care about connections.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

I have a profile, but have never been contacted by a recruiter.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have it, I use it daily for work.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've found it to be quite useful to a) keep up with former colleagues, b) for recruiting (when I was a people manager) and c) for networking / getting hired.

I rarely post anything, like one would do on Facebook, but I'll send comments to folks who have new jobs, promotions, etc....

I do get a lot of random invites, but I decline a fair bit too, as my own personal preference is to only link up with people for whom I'd feel fine vouching in a professional capacity.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yup
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Somewhat, but my field isn't one that really gets recruited out of.

I felt more compelled to post because my brother is joining the company in Sept.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
chesapeake
College Starter

When I was out of work last year, I used it a lot to follow up on job applications. Every time I applied somewhere -- and that includes the Federal government -- I'd see who I knew that knew someone that could help. DC being the small town that it is, I usually had a couple of folks I could ask to make a call on my behalf. I've been told by the folks that hired me that those calls really helped me to separate enough from the pack to get me the first interview.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am on it and have many "linked in" friends or contacts or whatever you call them.

Beyond that and looking up former colleagues or friends, I really don't use it.

About a year ago, right before I started my new job, I had a recruiter reach out to me for another potential job and said he found me on linked in, so it seems to have some merit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #20
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I do work at a sales oriented company in the technology field, so I imagine I'm right in the sweet spot.

I identify events, heavily recruit, swap business opportunities with old contacts, promote my company and my team, etc. I meet a lot of people on a daily basis that would otherwise get lost to time. It's nice being able to reach out to someone at a targeted company or someone that specializes in a targeted technology that I shook hands with years back.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nope, but given that I'm graduating in May, I may have to set something up.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I originally set mine up about 18 months ago. I put some basics out there, made a couple connections, and that was it.

In the last month or so, I finally went back and updated to add my complete work history, added some skills and a couple recommendations. Hoping it ends up being worthwhile.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I like to say that the aerospace industry is small and inbred. There's definitely a 6-degrees thing that goes on with it, and it's typically "no more than 2 degrees of separation."

I find it useful to keep tabs on colleagues and keep options open. But I'm not sure that it's as useful for others as it is for me.

The "endorsing" thing seems over-hyped/weirdly done. I find myself endorsing colleagues on a fairly limited basis, but I get some weird endorsements that don't make sense. Like a guy who's worked only tangentially with me endorsing my skills in something they haven't seen me do or worked with me on...that part is weird.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #24
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
At least in aerospace, you seem to be able to get more information, more links, by paying for the full version. When some of my colleagues have been looking to move, that has definitely helped at least 2 of them (their interviewer credited it as part of the reason they got the foot in the door).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'll add a little more.

In 2012 I hired 50 people into my department (not all ended up reporting to me, the size of the department was about 300 people).

I found LinkedIn invaluable for this process, for many reasons.

Aside from offering me a way to be contacted by candidates, and a way of potentially asking my contacts who knew them, the key thing it did for a lot of folks was allow them to bypass the front-end HR process.

This was a relatively big company, so if you applied to one of my positions off the Interweb, you'd have to make it through a couple of HR filters before I even saw your resume. Now, my HR people were pretty decent, but nothing quite replaces a hiring manager looking at your resume.

Those folks who were able to contact me through LinkedIn (going through one of my own contacts who I knew and trusted) got their resumes immediately to my desk, and almost always got at least one in-person interview. In today's job market, that's a huge advantage.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I like to say that the aerospace industry is small and inbred. There's definitely a 6-degrees thing that goes on with it, and it's typically "no more than 2 degrees of separation."

I find it useful to keep tabs on colleagues and keep options open. But I'm not sure that it's as useful for others as it is for me.

The "endorsing" thing seems over-hyped/weirdly done. I find myself endorsing colleagues on a fairly limited basis, but I get some weird endorsements that don't make sense. Like a guy who's worked only tangentially with me endorsing my skills in something they haven't seen me do or worked with me on...that part is weird.

/tk

+1

The things I've been endorsed on, and by whom, just makes me laugh.

I have a bunch of accounting/finance skills listed, along with a good amount of Excel skills.

My sister, an elementary school teacher, endorsed me on pivot tables. I asked her about it, she said LinkedIn prompted her to endorse me on them, so she did. No clue what a pivot table was, but she knows I'm darn good at them!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, endorsements are worthless and are people picking the defaults when recommended to endorse someone.

If anything the quantity of them can be seen as some insight into the value of that person in their network. Which probably doesn't matter for most.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

I think my use of LinkedIn to thank my now director after my interview with her last year helped a lot. I like LinkedIn as a networking tool and think it is a great way to keep tabs on your former cowokers that you don't want to talk to or communicate with on Facebook.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote