Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SB Party/beer question

I'll pose this as a straight up question rather than trying to convolute it into a poll format. Here's the deal:

Tou're going to a small SB party, your only assignment is to bring along a 12 pack of beer. You know little about the people attending, certainly don't know their beverage preference, just that they're all aged 35-54. What do you take?

FWIW, my personal beer preference goes something like Guinness, then other stouts/darks, then basically don't care much for it. I'll drink a Coors regular in the hottest part of summer maybe twice a year, otherwise I'm pretty meh about anything outside of my wheelhouse.

My eventual decision is here
Spoiler

JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'd go Stella artois. It's palatable enough for any woman that might want a beer, but not bmc that will draw ire of the growing legion of beer snobs
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'd go Stella artois. It's palatable enough for any woman that might want a beer, but not bmc that will draw ire of the growing legion of beer snobs

Well damn, my hand lingered over Stella when I was picking last night. I honestly didn't know what it's exact perception was in the general public.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'd say you did well to cover bases. I don't you really see you hanging out with somebody that would complain about not having some beer from some obscure brewery.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, you done good. I would have said a twelver of a domestic light beer, just because you'll know it will get drunk. But the six-and-six is a good call.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Def agree on the Miller Lite. I think you did well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

If I don't know what the crowd is going to be is usually grab a twelve of Summit Extra Pale Ale. Not expensive, from a popular local brewery, people who don't drink craft beers typically don't hate it and most IPA drinking snobs won't refuse to drink it.

Not something available everywhere as far as recommendations go. Would try finding regional equivalent elsewhere in the country, though if I had to go with national beer I'd probably end up with something from Sam Adams

Last edited by mckerney : 02-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I would go XX for the same reason Karlifornia said stella, but stella is a good choice too

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
britrock88
Pro Starter

The mix-and-match was a solid bet.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree with the mix and match, no one likes snobby beer guy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

I always think Sam Adams is a safe choice. Not in the bad range but not in the real fancy range.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I always think Sam Adams is a safe choice. Not in the bad range but not in the real fancy range.

+1
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Would try finding regional equivalent elsewhere in the country

I considering doing a variety pack from (Athens-based) Terrapin for that reason ... that just felt soooooo trendy though
Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I considering doing a variety pack from (Athens-based) Terrapin for that reason ... that just felt soooooo trendy though

Summit is hardly trendy when it comes to breweries in Minnesota. It opened 28 years ago which makes in ancient when compared to the 40 or so breweries that have opened since the start of 2011 in the state (and their could be around a dozen more opening next year).
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I would have definitely gone 6 pack american light, 6 pack import, so i think you succeeded.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Summit is hardly trendy when it comes to breweries in Minnesota. It opened 28 years ago which makes in ancient when compared to the 40 or so breweries that have opened since the start of 2011 in the state (and their could be around a dozen more opening next year).

Well, I was pretty much talking about Terrapin, not familiar enough with Summit to call it trendy or not.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
Subby
lolzcat

12 pack of Guinness. Fuck those pussies if they don't drink it. More for you!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #18
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
12 pack of Guinness. Fuck those pussies if they don't drink it. More for you!
+12
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW, my personal beer preference goes something like Guinness, then other stouts/darks, then basically don't care much for it. I'll drink a Coors regular in the hottest part of summer maybe twice a year, otherwise I'm pretty meh about anything outside of my wheelhouse.
Do people really like Guinness in a can? If you're gonna drink 1-2 I can see it, but 3-4 or more and I can't stomach Guinness - its just like drinking a loaf of bread.

If you're splitting into 2 6's, I think you hit it nearly right - get a very drinkable 6 pack (Blue Moon, UFO White, Stella), and then go for a 6-pack with a little more flavor, whether that's a dark beer, a winter seasonal, or a flavor pack or whatever. Up here, I usually go Harpoon/Shipyard/Wachusett/Sea Dog, but every region has it's own whether it's Shiner Bock, Ommegang, 21st Amendment, BBC etc. If I'm feeling fancy and want to throw down the extra $5 I might even go for the 4-pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute - imo that's the one mass-produced kraft beer that's consistently a notch above.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-02-2014 at 11:43 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Do people really like Guinness in a can?

Bottles baby, bottles.

I'll do the cans in a bar setting where that's the only way they have it (happens occasionally) but that's about it.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Guinness cans are way better than they have any right to be, but they still pale in comparison to a bottle. Draft is by far the best way, but bottles aren't bad.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I would have done what you did, Jon.

So, considering the history between the two of us, I expect you to start second guessing yourself in anguish right about now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mike's Hard Lemonade!

Okay, well, that's what my dad drinks.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #24
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Makes me wonder if the 12 was for everyone..

Currently Im on a health kick and going on 6 weeks without a beer. Otherwise I am a pseudo beer snob, in that I love crafts (especially a good IPA) but will also enjoy a cold Bud lite or natural light as well..

All in all you did good.
Though if Guiness is your BOC I would have brought a 6er of that and a 6er of cheap macro...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. My theory goes, Bring Beer You Will Drink.

A twelver of Guinness woulda been just peachy.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #26
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Late to the "party" here. My only question would be to ask "how small?" If it's small enough that you're the only one bringing beer, then I think you pretty much nailed it. However, if there might be 3 or 4 people bringing 12-packs, then I'd go with something like 6 Guinness and 6 Miller Lite. (And yes, I realize that my definition of "small" may be different from yours, which is why I brought up the question. )
Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As far as I can tell, everyone loves Terrapin - even folks that don't drink fancy stuff - as long as you don't get Hopsecutioner or whatnot.

Heck, Sweetwater 420 would be a choice that would work for everyone, I'd imagine.

Also, I'll echo Sam Adams as a beer that appeals to all sorts. Beer snobs won't turn their noses at it and regular guys will be familiar with it as well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-03-2014 at 09:43 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

When I drink beer, it's the crappy stuff. Miller or Bud - whichever happens to be on sale.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I weep for your alien taste buds.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-03-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Late to the "party" here. My only question would be to ask "how small?" If it's small enough that you're the only one bringing beer, then I think you pretty much nailed it. However, if there might be 3 or 4 people bringing 12-packs, then I'd go with something like 6 Guinness and 6 Miller Lite. (And yes, I realize that my definition of "small" may be different from yours, which is why I brought up the question. )

Turned out to be very very very small

(As in, bless their hearts, the hosts pretty much got stiffed by everybody but us for one reason or another)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh, just for the record, the host said that for future reference his favorite type of beer was ... cold.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Bottles baby, bottles.

I'll do the cans in a bar setting where that's the only way they have it (happens occasionally) but that's about it.

Seriously...who still buys beer in cans??

I like Guinness, but I know dark beer isn't for everyone. I typically will restock when my in-laws are around, and my FIL is one of those. He does seem to like Hefeweisens though, and our beer store usually has some variety of that available (Paulaner, Spaten, etc). So I'll get a 6-pack of that and maybe a variety 12-pack of something like Sam Adams. Or Fat Tire, or whatever. Occasionally I'll buy some cider (wife doesn't like beer as much, but likes cider). So I'd probably put together some mix of the three to come up with 12. Or I'd just bring more than 12. What the hell, bringing extra won't kill me.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

It may sound weird, but some microbrews are going to canned beer - 21st Amendment is one.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It may sound weird, but some microbrews are going to canned beer - 21st Amendment is one.

Stupid hipster beers...
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Guinness is better from a can than from a bottle. The little widget thing that makes it draught-like does the business.

Last edited by Critch : 02-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Guinness is better from a can than from a bottle. The little widget thing that makes it draught-like does the business.

Yeah I was confused by that too. I thought that was the only reason they put it in cans in the first place.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #37
boberot
High School Varsity

FWIW,

I also prefer Guinness in a can rather than bottle.
[As you said, draft being the clear #1 option.]

I brought Yuengling Bock to a SB party yesterday -- dark but very drinkable and not terribly snobby / expensive.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #38
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it also helps with penetration into liquor stores. Unless they do a weird setup, 12-packs of beer bottles are usually on the bottom couple shelves while 12-packs of cans are higher and more prevalent. I've started to see a lot of Blue Moon/Wachusett Blueberry/UFO White etc in 12-packs of cans now when I only remember seeing them in bottles until a couple years ago. Maybe that's a quirk of the area though - Somerville/Cambridge tend to be more hipster-ish (not a perfect comparison, but think the Brooklyn of Boston) and the liquor stores try to stock a lot of different beers in small stores, so every little bit of space helps. Plus when I worked in one we'd always have customers dropping and breaking bottles in the cooler, but never had that problem with cans.

It is interesting to see what's put on draft in other parts of the country. When I was in Charlotte I'd see Yuengling and Sam Adams everywhere, which I used to associate with Pittsburgh and Boston respectively (although now Sam Adams is getting dropped from a number of Boston bars because they charge more than similar beers and don't have that local cachet anymore.)
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Forbes apparently had a article on this last year:

Craft Beers Say Hello Cans, Goodbye Bottles: An Aluminum Revolution - Forbes

Quote:
Even before the “Sam Can,” today’s technology is a world apart from what I grew up with in the day when canned beer was seen as unequivocally inferior. Today’s aluminum is coated inside so there is no metallic taste transfer, and some craft beer fans argue that the can is actually superior to the glass bottle, mainly because it does a much better job of negating both oxygen and light exchange, fatal flaws in preserving beer flavor and shelf life. It can also be chilled faster. An article on the Brewer’s Association website explains that in addition to doing a better job of protecting against both light and air damage, cans are cheaper and don’t require a separate labeling machine, which may be a boon to small, cash craft brewers. On the other hands, the aluminum has to be pre-printed so minimum orders are larger, and cans are more subject than glass to ambient temperature fluctuation, so there are pros and cons. CraftCans.com says that more than 150 craft brewers currently put their beer in cans, and there is even an annual canned craft beer festival in Scottsdale, AZ, now in its third year, with more than 50 participants.

There is little doubt that canned beer has some very practical advantages: it’s more portable and doesn’t break. It can be taken places glass is prohibited. It is also much lighter and thus cheaper and greener to ship and distribute. I can’t say cans are better, but I’m betting we will soon see a whole lot more of them.

I guess I can see it. Not worrying about broken glass is a good thing, esp if one can take away the metal taste.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #40
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Forbes apparently had a article on this last year:

Craft Beers Say Hello Cans, Goodbye Bottles: An Aluminum Revolution - Forbes

I guess I can see it. Not worrying about broken glass is a good thing, esp if one can take away the metal taste.
You see this with mid to upper level wines too. Now that the technology has improved, a decent number are using twist-off caps instead of cork, even with the snobs still turning their noses up at them.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #41
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Gotta have cans when you are tubing down the river.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #42
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Bear in mind, though, you're meant to pour the Guinness from the can into a glass to drink, even with the widget.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Bear in mind, though, you're meant to pour the Guinness from the can into a glass to drink, even with the widget.

Yeah. I pretty much always pour my beers into a glass when I'm at home, can or bottle.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #44
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
You see this with mid to upper level wines too. Now that the technology has improved, a decent number are using twist-off caps instead of cork, even with the snobs still turning their noses up at them.

The bummer about this is that you can't use cork v. twist-off and real cork v. synthetic as an easy indicator of quality anymore.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote