Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Most traumatic scenes in movies (spoilers?)

Kindof as an offshoot of The Ring thread, what is the most jolting/traumatic scene in movies for you.

I think in Saving Private Ryan, where the two guys are fighting, and the one is slowly stabbing the other through the heart while he begs for mercy is perhaps the most traumatic scene I have ever watched. It haunted me for a long time afterward. Same with the guy who gets shot in the helmet, takes off the helmet to look at the hole and make sure he hasn't been hit, and then gets shot in the head. I remember thinking: "You idiot! Put your helmet back on!" right before he got shot. That movie was just full of moments like that.

Also, the jolt scene of the girl in the closet in The Ring was pretty shocking.

What scenes got to you?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

The beans and frank scene from "There's Something About Mary." I couldn't take a wiz for a week!

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

In the sixth sence when bruce willis discovers that he is actually dead. I totally did not see that comming.

From a looooong time ago, when Bambi's mom was killed.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

As a kid, I was pretty taken aback by the miniseries 'V', when there was a guy who was around some dry ice or frozen gas or something, had his arm frozen and then bumped into a railing, shattering his arm off.

On a similar note, I thought Bruce Willis blowing Jack Black's arm off in 'The Jackal' was a little much. Probably not horrible by today's standards, and not necessarily jolting, but pretty gruesome.

Oh, Emilio Estevez' demise in Mission Impossible didn't thrill me much either. And again, as a kid I didn't think it too cool in IJ & the Temple of Doom when they pulled the guy's heart out...

I guess I tend to like sex in my movies more than violence anyway
Old 05-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

There are tons of scenes in Schindler's List, but the one that stands out is of the little boy hiding in the outhouse. Oh man...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

I still can't enjoy "Stuck in the Middle With You" the same way after watching Reservoir Dogs. Grisly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

In Se7ev, when the body in the bed came to life, and you realize that he was still alive!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Opening scene in Saving Private Ryan put me in shock.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
In Se7ev, when the body in the bed came to life, and you realize that he was still alive!

That entire movie counts. Never before or since have I been in a theater were after the lights came on, everybody stood up silently and just kind of stared at each other with jaws dropped.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by stkelly52
In the sixth sence when bruce willis discovers that he is actually dead. I totally did not see that comming.

From a looooong time ago, when Bambi's mom was killed.

I have the unfortunate tendency to try to figure out movies if I know there is some sort of catch to them. When everyone was talking about Sixth Sense and how the ending came out of nowhere, I had to try to figure it out. After about 15 minutes I had, and everything else in the movie pretty much confirmed it for me. Good movie, but I think I ruined it for myself
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:31 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

yeah, that REALLY freaked me out when I first watched it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
That entire movie counts. Never before or since have I been in a theater were after the lights came on, everybody stood up silently and just kind of stared at each other with jaws dropped.

True, but I was trying to pick out the most shocking scene.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I have the unfortunate tendency to try to figure out movies if I know there is some sort of catch to them. When everyone was talking about Sixth Sense and how the ending came out of nowhere, I had to try to figure it out. After about 15 minutes I had, and everything else in the movie pretty much confirmed it for me. Good movie, but I think I ruined it for myself

Exactly. I saw the movie without knowing that there was a hook ending, so it really blew me away. I always prefer seeing a movie knowing as little as possible about it.

That's one of the things I really liked about Signs. The advertising of the film didn't tell you AT ALL what you were really going to see. That's why the scene at the birthday party freaked me out so much - it was totally unexpected. I wish more movies would keep their secrets out of the trailers.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Exactly. I saw the movie without knowing that there was a hook ending, so it really blew me away. I always prefer seeing a movie knowing as little as possible about it.

That's one of the things I really liked about Signs. The advertising of the film didn't tell you AT ALL what you were really going to see. That's why the scene at the birthday party freaked me out so much - it was totally unexpected. I wish more movies would keep their secrets out of the trailers.

this is easily the most alarming trend in movies today. Look at the trailer for the movie 'The Italian Job' (which I haven't seen yet).
I find out that 1. Ed Norton's character turns on them, 2. Ed Norton's character kills Donald Sutherland's character, 3. A huge revenge plot ensues.

Now if this movie were just pitched as some fancy heist (that of course being the Italian Job), wouldn't the movie have an aweomse twist when Ed Norton turned on his co-thieves? They could have marketed it as some sort of Oceans-11 like grand heist, rather than revealing ever detail.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:45 PM   #15
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

As a kid, I remember having nightmares after seeing the "Airport 77" flick. The scene where the dead people float by the windows gave me nightmares for weeks. Today, I'm sure it wouldn't even shock a 4 year old, but at the time, t.v. didn't show a lot of that stuff.

As an adult, I must admit that JAWS still creeps the shit out of me.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 05-05-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #16
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I saw Twilight Zone's Eye of the Beholder for the first time 35 years ago and I still get nightmares from it. I read recently that they are doing a remake of it.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #17
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Again I was a kid, but many of the scenes from Poltergeist freaked the living shit out of me. I'll give it to the tree trying to eat the boy.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:51 PM   #18
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by BoneGavel
As a kid, I remember having nightmares after seeing the "Airport 77" flick. The scene where the dead people float by the windows gave me nightmares for weeks. Today, I'm sure it wouldn't even shock a 4 year old, but at the time, t.v. didn't show a lot of that stuff.

There is something quite profound in that statement. But we can't complain because there is something "progressive" about de-sensitizing 4 yrs olds (or any other ages).
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Jack Black in his skivvies in "Orange County"

*shudder*
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Ditto that one. I never felt so claustrophobic in a movie theater, nor had such a visceral reaction to a film. Every part of my body wanted to "get the hell out of there". Haunted me for days and nights.

The other would be Wizard of Oz. When I was a kid, and the Wicked Witch showed up. See ya! I was out of there. Put me in bed, mommy! Took me about five years to make it through that part. Of course, that only got me to the part when those damn flying monkie things come dropping out of the sky. I've never gotten past that point. Still don't know how the movie ends.

Oh yeah, although I know some people thought the movie was stupid, I was so scared at the end of the Blair Witch Project that I was hypterventilating.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-05-2003 at 02:04 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #21
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

I think that's why I like that movie so much, there's tons of scenes like it. Even though you could guess what's in the box at the end, it's still something.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

The scene in American History X where Edward Norton's character tells his victim to "bite the curb". Mother of God, I had to stop the DVD for about 5 minutes before I could continue.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:06 PM   #23
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

You weren't one of those kiddies whose mommy and daddy took them to an R-rated WWII movie and then complained about how they had to leave the theater because of the violence, were you?

Last edited by Craptacular : 05-05-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:10 PM   #24
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ColtCrazy
I think that's why I like that movie so much, there's tons of scenes like it. Even though you could guess what's in the box at the end, it's still something.

True. At the end, I knew what was in the box and I was hollering at the TV (I saw it on video). "Don't open the box. Dammit, DON"T OPEN THE FREAKING BOX". Se7en is one of the few movies that drew me in hook-line and sinker.

For a shocking scene that hasn't been mentioned yet, how about the "Singing in the Rain" scene from A Clockwork Orange. Truly disturbing.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
The scene in American History X where Edward Norton's character tells his victim to "bite the curb". Mother of God, I had to stop the DVD for about 5 minutes before I could continue.

I turned my head. This is an excellent example of a really disturbing moment in a movie.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #26
Craptacular
College Starter

The scene in Payback where they hammer Mel Gibson's toes is nasty. Just thinking about the sound of the hammer hitting the concrete (through his toes) makes me cringe. I'm glad they didn't "show it".
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
You weren't one of those kiddies whose mommy and daddy took them to an R-rated WWII movie and then complained about how they had to leave the theater because of the violence, were you?

Heh, I remember when I went to see the SouthPark movie and right in front of us there was a woman with two kids who had to be around ten. Needless to say, after the opening scene (Shut your fucking face, uncle-fucker...) they were out of there...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #28
KWhit
Coordinator

That reminded me of the "hobbling" scene from Misery. Oh man.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #29
TroyF
Coordinator

I have a REALLY tough time watching any rape scene in a movie. The opening sequence of Eye for an Eye was horrible. Sally Field is on the phone and listens to her daughtered get raped and murdered. I had a really tough time with that one.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #30
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The scene in Payback where they hammer Mel Gibson's toes is nasty. Just thinking about the sound of the hammer hitting the concrete (through his toes) makes me cringe. I'm glad they didn't "show it".

Oooh, that just reminded me of the bed scene from Misery - ouch!

Of course, from what I've heard Kathy Bates was in an equally if not more disturbing scene recently
Old 05-05-2003, 02:25 PM   #31
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

heh, no.

edit: perhaps the movie should have been NC-17

I know I stopped breathing for a while and was completely immersed in the unfolding carnage. If the movie had not shifted to the view from the seawall I may have passed out.

Would have interesting to put a BP collar on.

Last edited by Fritz : 05-05-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

(ditto)Misery when Kathy Bates breaks James Caan's ankles. Ouch!

Also, a friend of mine called me before the Blair Witch Project was even mentioned on TV and told me he had a copy of it for the pc. We all watched it that night and the last scene freaked me out. About a week later I discovered it was all a hoax, but that scence still bugs me somewhat.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-05-2003 at 02:27 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I have a REALLY tough time watching any rape scene in a movie. The opening sequence of Eye for an Eye was horrible. Sally Field is on the phone and listens to her daughtered get raped and murdered. I had a really tough time with that one.

TroyF

Stay away from Rules of Attraction then, it's got the most god-awful rape scene ever right in the first 10 minutes.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #34
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Oooh, that just reminded me of the bed scene from Misery - ouch!

Of course, from what I've heard Kathy Bates was in an equally if not more disturbing scene recently

Hey, didn't I just say that?

Old 05-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #35
Pyser
Pro Rookie

requiem for a dream.

the whole movie shook me. bad. has ruined every other drug-themed movie for me ever. nothing compares.

but to stay with the specific scene theme....i guess id have to go with what jennifer connolly's character does at the end to score some more drugs. horribly degrading. and then her reaction after scoring the stuff.

come to think of it, everyones "fate" at the end of the movie shook me. damn. that movie plain messed me up.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #36
cuervo72
Head Coach

Whoops, guess you got there while I was writing it! My apologies KWhit.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 05-05-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #37
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Whoops, guess you got there while I was writing it! My apologies KWhit.

Just bustin' your balls, cuervo. I thought it was funny that we said the exact same thing.

Speaking of movies about drugs, the baby on the ceiling scene in Trainspotting was pretty traumatic. Not easy to watch at all.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 PM   #38
cuervo72
Head Coach

Strange movie but....

In 'Cemetary Man' (Dellamorte Dellamore), when Rupert Everett's character kills Anna Falchi's char, and you realize that she hadn't yet been dead before (the premise of the movie, if you haven't seen it, is that Everett works at an Italian cemetary where everyone comes back to life and has to be "killed" a second time, or they go around doing a Night of the Living dead act). A grim "D'OH" kind of moment.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:02 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Just bustin' your balls, cuervo. I thought it was funny that we said the exact same thing.

Speaking of movies about drugs, the baby on the ceiling scene in Trainspotting was pretty traumatic. Not easy to watch at all.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I think about my wording too much and I take an hour with my replies

If we're dealing with babies, that clip of Michael Jackson dangling "his" baby over the balcony was pretty traumatic too!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

I agree with the scene in American History X. Whenever I think of what he did...*shudders*...what a horrible way to go...

And I agree that I like to go into a movie not knowing anything. I did that with Se7en and it was great. Recently, I went to see Identity with no idea of what it was about. Going into a movie not knowing what it is about puts my "guard" down, so I'm not looking for any twists, and then I am pleasently surprised.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #41
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Jack Black in his skivvies in "Orange County"

*shudder*

nothing screams HOT like that did
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #42
Radii
Head Coach

I'm sure if I hadn't blocked most of the movie out of my mind, I could come up with something out of American Psycho.

But the first thing that came to my mind was the whole storming the beach opening to Saving Private Ryan. How long was that opening scene anyway? It was by far the most... intense experience I've ever had watching a movie.

Out of all of it the part where you see a guy looking around the beach aimlessly, and he picks up his own arm that had been blown off... that was the roughest part of it for me I think.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyser
requiem for a dream.

the whole movie shook me. bad. has ruined every other drug-themed movie for me ever. nothing compares.

but to stay with the specific scene theme....i guess id have to go with what jennifer connolly's character does at the end to score some more drugs. horribly degrading. and then her reaction after scoring the stuff.

come to think of it, everyones "fate" at the end of the movie shook me. damn. that movie plain messed me up.

I agree - that movie was deeply disturbing. I guess I wouldn't point out any one scene, but the depiction of the unhappy endings for each and every character we care about was very moving. For me, maybe the best scene in the film was the phone call - the guy calls his girl back home, and promises her that he's coming back to get her. It's amazing how powerful that movie was... I'm not sure I "liked" it, but it was seriously compelling.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #44
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

The boat sinking scene in White Squal gets to me too.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #45
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I agree - that movie was deeply disturbing. I guess I wouldn't point out any one scene, but the depiction of the unhappy endings for each and every character we care about was very moving. For me, maybe the best scene in the film was the phone call - the guy calls his girl back home, and promises her that he's coming back to get her. It's amazing how powerful that movie was... I'm not sure I "liked" it, but it was seriously compelling.

me and my friends just walked out of the theater like, "wow, how depressing." The movie was really moving. Yes Quik, the "ass to ass" scene at the end is pretty shocking for jennifer connelly's character, showing she's sunk as far as she possibly can. I definitely really liked the movie overall, it was very well done.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Several scenes popped into my head when I saw the thread title --

1) Opening sequence of "Beverly Hills Cop" of all things. Where Eddie's partner is executed via gunshot to the back of the head. As it struck me at the time (and I haven't watched the scene since), the camera angle gave you a quick profile silhouette of the victim and you see his face exploding outward. I can't think of any other film that uses that specific angle for a head shot and it really got to me.

2) "Reservoir Dogs" cop torture scene.

3) The end of "Blair Witch" is the most genuine terror I've ever felt in a theatre. My ass (nor any of the rest of me) will never go camping again. And I knew it wasn't a documentary when I watched it, the damned thing scared the crap out of me.

4) Manson-stops-the-prosecutors-watch scene in "Helter Skelter". It wasn't the watch stopping, it was the look of Manson's eyes at the end of the scene, I had nightmares about that for several years later. (Hey, I was young at the time)

And like somebody already mentioned, I'm pretty creeped out by rape scenes in general.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #47
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I remember a few scenes from movies that I saw when I was too young...

- the Russian Roulette scene from Deerhunter
- when they chopped off the foot in Roots
- the one that caused me the most trauma - by far, was The Great Santini. I have NO idea why I wanted to see this movie when it was on TV, but I was too young; there's a scene which a black man is attacked in his trailer by the local yokels, and it has always stuck with me. I had nightmares for several nights after that (followed by several days of "I told you so's" by my mother).

Ryan was the most overall haunting film I've seen - 5 of us went to see it, and none of us spoke for about 10 minutes on the drive home. I don't plan on seeing that again until I feel my son is old enough and is in need of a little direction in life.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One more that I forgot to mention would be several of the battle sequences in "We Were Soldiers". It's not gory, it's not particularly gruesome, it's just nerve-wracking. More intensity than I'm used to in a combat film (and I've seen a ton of 'em).

Unlike most war movies, which seem to turn the battle volume down at just the right moment so you can hear the key dialogue, "WWS" just let the bullets fly & let the dialogue compete with everything else. Created a noticeably different feel IMO.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:29 PM   #49
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69

This is by far the most traumatic scene for me too. As soon as I saw this thread that is what I thought of. When I saw it in the theater I almost lost it.

Another scene that affected was the recent rape scene from Irreversible - it is just off-the-charts bad, but at least I knew that before I saw it. I also was affected by Requim for a Dream, but the two parts most jarring for me where the walking refrigerator and the infected track mark on the arm. The Trainspotting scene where he is going cold turkey and sees the dead baby crawling on the ceiling is also really bad.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #50
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Couple of different ones..

Signs-The Brazilian Footage.. tempered with the sudden Music change when the alien appeared on camera

A Walk to Remember- Maybe not gruesome, but finding out what's wrong with Mandy Moore's character was quite a shock

White men can't jump-Rosie Perez naked.. i'm scarred for life

But the ones that really got me are already listed

Blair Witch Project-That ending was just.. You knew what was going to happen..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote