Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

FIFA 14

Any thoughts?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Any thoughts?

I'll get back to you tonight/this weekend with real detailed thoughts.

Seems like the Global Transfer Market is a good idea, but might take 1-2 more versions of FIFA to get really refined to be top-notch.

Game on the pitch is improved. Nothing mind-blowing, but just solid little improvements - player jostling, physical play, size+strength mattering, lots more realistic first touches and loose balls.

I'm playing with Orion's sliders, but I found that I didn't have anywhere near enough time on the ball to make decisions + weight passes. Two solutions for that being bandied about: (1) drop marking down into the low 40's, or (2) drop down from "World Class" to "Professional" and possibly tick on some of the passing assistance.

I went with #2 initially but will likely give #1 a try this weekend and see which I like better. AI on World Class is obviously more of a challenge defensively, but I have been having good games on "Pro." Won 3-2 against Lille last night in a friendly and followed that up with a lineup of roughly 75% backups losing 2-1 against Valenciennes in another friendly.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

As DT said, the gameplay is improved from past year but i keep having the same issue I have every year.

If i play on Professional, I can score as i should, but the CPU offense is very limited and easy to shut down so i win easily. If i play on World Class, the CPU offense gives me some troubles but their defense is way too good so i have low scoring games and lots of 0-0 overall.

My ideal difficulty level would be with the CPU playing Professional on Defense and World Class/Legendary on Offense.

I need to play with sliders now to see if i can find that middle point.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
As DT said, the gameplay is improved from past year but i keep having the same issue I have every year.

If i play on Professional, I can score as i should, but the CPU offense is very limited and easy to shut down so i win easily. If i play on World Class, the CPU offense gives me some troubles but their defense is way too good so i have low scoring games and lots of 0-0 overall.

My ideal difficulty level would be with the CPU playing Professional on Defense and World Class/Legendary on Offense.

I need to play with sliders now to see if i can find that middle point.

I'm the same as you Icy!

I'll keep you posted on what I do with the sliders. Right now I'm basically using Orion's on Professional with assisted passing. Still not getting what the guys on the message board are saying as far as 20+ shots a game though, so I don't know how I'll dial that up exactly to compensate.

Was just thinking, maybe "World Class" with reduced marking. That theoretically ought to give me the time I need on the ball that I get in Professional to pick out a pass (on World Class with his sliders before everyone was closed down on the SECOND they got the ball, which is unrealistic). That might enable me to build attacks and get some shots off.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-30-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
The Jackal
Coordinator

have found my favorite team online - dortmund
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

Would like to pick up FIFA this year (last version I bought was 11), but just no time in the video game catalog.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I did the 'create a pro' and started my career last night. Somehow I scored on a bicycle kick, and it was one of the most amazing video game moments I've ever had.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Orion's sliders make the game totally playable for me.

I need to up the difficulty from World Class to Legendary though, and/or turn passing to full manual (crossing/through balls already are).

I beat Inter 5-0 in a snow-game last night. The pitch looked beautiful, and Inter are terrible, but 5-0 is a bit excessive.

Going to toy with it tonight to figure out if Legendary or full-manual passing will be the best alteration.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
whomario
Pro Starter

Very happy with the game as well, still having a challenge on World Class. Using Gonira´s sliders with some adjustments.

And from early accounts, the patch that´s out for PC and due later this week for PS3/360 is a good one.

The one gameplay gripe i´m having is too many weird clearances by the CPU, especially their GK (basically the ball goes high in the air and travels like 20 yards at most) which is an issue since i play a high pressure game when playing with Dortmund (as IRL) and thus encounter this pretty frequently.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sweet garbage goal. Replay doesn't capture that at the very beginning the players are reacting to Coutinho putting the first attempted clear from the corner off the post. So he puts two off the post and then Eder finishes the second.

EA SPORTS Football Club - Media

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
whomario
Pro Starter

New Patch is out for the 360.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Very happy with the game as well, still having a challenge on World Class. Using Gonira´s sliders with some adjustments.

And from early accounts, the patch that´s out for PC and due later this week for PS3/360 is a good one.

The one gameplay gripe i´m having is too many weird clearances by the CPU, especially their GK (basically the ball goes high in the air and travels like 20 yards at most) which is an issue since i play a high pressure game when playing with Dortmund (as IRL) and thus encounter this pretty frequently.

Happening to me too.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought I'd revive this thread. Just bought the PS4 version of the game.

I do think I have a little work to do to play this game well. Started a season with Sporting KC. Most of the players are in the 60-71 range with a couple mid 70 range stars. Really having trouble scoring on Semi-Pro settings. I tend to lose the ball a lot in the final third. Also have a really tough time with shooting longer shots without blasting them over the goal. I'm learning slowly, but it's a challenge to be sure.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
. Also have a really tough time with shooting longer shots without blasting them over the goal. I'm learning slowly, but it's a challenge to be sure.

Same issue for me, first time playing the series and it is amazing on the PS4, but even tapping the O button I blast them over most of the time. Should I use finesse from long range, move the shooting error slider down?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Pretty cool so far - although shooting seems VERY hit/miss ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Any thoughts on how they will do the world cup stuff? Will it be dlc for FIFA or a stand alone game?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Typically, it's a standalone game.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Can someone explain to me the appeal of the 'Ultimate Team' thing - I created one and then it insisted I enter a tournament but none of the single player ones were compatible with the team it gave me so I simply closed it down confused ...

(I was also somewhat bemused that it gave me largely South American players considering I'm registered as an English person - I'd have thought they'd have biased the starting squad at least slightly by your profile - ie. English players ... and at least one from Brighton?)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

No tournament mode for this, is that correct? On PS4 I am talking.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm on the Xbox1 but I haven't seen one - that being said the Career mode is pretty cool (currently out on loan at UCD ).

Only thing which annoys me is that around 50-60% of my matches are 0-0, I can control things defensively but have 3-4 clear cut chances each match which the keeper saves ... then in other matches I'll win 4-x ... seems odd ...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Can someone explain to me the appeal of the 'Ultimate Team' thing

Sure, it's a free-to-play addition by EA to try and get more money out of you by making you buy decks. For example, in the first Madden iteration, you could easily play your team single player, but you never made enough to buy enough decks to extend your players, so I ended up unable to field a team after a little while because I refused to pay more for it.

Oh, wait, you wanted the appeal for YOU? Sorry, I haven't figured that one out yet. Something about getting to put together a team of awesome players, I guess, without having to use the player / team creators?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm on the Xbox1 but I haven't seen one - that being said the Career mode is pretty cool (currently out on loan at UCD ).

Only thing which annoys me is that around 50-60% of my matches are 0-0, I can control things defensively but have 3-4 clear cut chances each match which the keeper saves ... then in other matches I'll win 4-x ... seems odd ...

OK thanks,

I was reading people complaining about not having a tournament mode but personally all I am after is the career mode which it sounds like it has
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Oh, wait, you wanted the appeal for YOU? Sorry, I haven't figured that one out yet. Something about getting to put together a team of awesome players, I guess, without having to use the player / team creators?

Yeah I'm in the 'meh' boat for it myself - if they'd given me a base of players I had some interest in then it might have appealed more - but I've a 'core' of 5 Argentinian which is the only 'blend' I have going for me and only 2 English players in the entire team .... that combined with not actually being able to play a tournament leaves it dead for me.

(the only single player tournament open when I looked was for Serie A players, you needed 11 in your team I had ZERO in my starting team, how hard would it have been to have single player just give you the ye-old tournament setup which most FIFA style games use to have)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-28-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
OK thanks,

I was reading people complaining about not having a tournament mode but personally all I am after is the career mode which it sounds like it has

Yeah, career mode (both as individual and as a manager) are both good stuff. I'm still learning a bit about the scouting/transfers/etc., but the season play itself is great. I'm playing in the Korean league and liking it a lot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, career mode (both as individual and as a manager) are both good stuff. I'm still learning a bit about the scouting/transfers/etc., but the season play itself is great. I'm playing in the Korean league and liking it a lot.

Yeah I'm really enjoying mine - although I wish it'd 'default' to selecting me controlling the entire team, at least once every 15-20 games I accidentally click on controlling just my player and then end up chasing the ball all game

PS - What sort of player did you make - I made mine look like me (ie. huge) and placed him in midfield.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This game is awesome on next gen. It just takes it to that next level closer to realistic.

Couple sweet goals I scored as I was playing all afternoon over here. Both by the same player (Jese Rodriguez signed from Real Madrid) in the same game, vs. Livorno.

Long Range Bomb:

Sweet Volley

Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Playing this on PS4 still and it's freaking great. The Ignite engine definitely makes it feel more "true to life." Will try to link over a couple of the goals I've scored from my FB page for you guys today.

Had a great couple games last night that I wanted to share which made me resurrect this thread.

CL Quarterfinals - Me (Juventus obviously) gets drawn against BAYERN.

FML. Okay.

First game is the away leg.

We each surrender a couple of bad early goals on defender errors (coughing up the ball to attackers). Bayern scores a second in the first half. Damnit!!

Second half, I score to knot the game. Feeling pretty good. F*cking Bayern get another goal somewhere around the 75th minute to take the 3-2 win.

Still, I figure I have 2 away goals on them...all I need is a 1-0 home victory.

Lo an behold...the return leg...I'm pounding on the door all game long, a TON of great chances, and really keeping them from pretty much any chances. Finally manage to crack them and score around the 60th minute, and miss a couple more relatively makeable chances to ice the game before I just start hoofing the ball up-field around the 80th minute to clear it out, but end up holding out for the 1-0 win and going through. Literally jumped off my sofa shouting in happiness.

Loving it still!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.