Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi, we hardly knew ye.......

Surprised that this one hasn't been posted yet. This guy took the console video game market to an all-new level. Without him, the video game world might be a much different place.......

Nintendo's Yamauchi dies aged 85 - Yahoo News

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Certainly a pioneer. Honestly, I didn't realize he was still alive

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

An interesting character for sure. He was talked into saving the Mariners back in '92 when Jeff Smulyan had one foot out the door for Tampa Bay, and while he and his deputies certainly had an impact on how the franchise was run (there's no doubt the influx of Japanese players with the M's was tied to his ownership), he never once attended a game - even last year when they opened the season in Japan - and only granted one interview in his time as owner.

The "we hardly knew ye" convention is especially appropriate in this circumstance.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I want to say that was when Nintendo found itself in the crosshairs of the anti-Japanese company sentiment on Capitol Hill in the early '90s; the purchase of the Mariners was intended as "hey, let's help the community keep their baseball team," and got painted by certain elements as THERE GO THOSE JAPANESE AGAIN TRYING TO BUY MOM AND APPLE PIE

Fascinating dude.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

There was definitely some unfortunate xenophobia that surrounded that purchase. I believe MLB insisted on local representation for that ownership group which is what resulted in Howard Lincoln taking on such a prominent role with the club.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
There was definitely some unfortunate xenophobia that surrounded that purchase. I believe MLB insisted on local representation for that ownership group which is what resulted in Howard Lincoln taking on such a prominent role with the club.

Well, Howard Lincoln was the #2 man with Nintendo of America anyway. The #1 was also Japanese, so Lincoln was literally the highest-ranked face in Nintendo who might have been acceptable to the xenophobes.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have spent some time researching and admiring Shigeru Miyamoto, but I had completely overlooked Yamauchi. RIP
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Well, Howard Lincoln was the #2 man with Nintendo of America anyway. The #1 was also Japanese, so Lincoln was literally the highest-ranked face in Nintendo who might have been acceptable to the xenophobes.
Exactly. John Ellis was prominent early on due to his years of public work in the Seattle area, but the Nintendo ownership manifested itself pretty early on as Lincoln quickly superseded Ellis as the primary face of the franchise.