Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

When is it no longer acceptable to wear a jersey?

I had this conversation with a couple of folks today. We were in a town hosting a Monday Night Football game tonight and there were a ton of folks walking around wearing jerseys of the two teams involved. So the question is, at what ages is it appropriate for to wear a jersey?

There are offshoots of this question:

a) which sports are acceptable for you to wear a jersey?

b) does being at the game matter?

c) does gender matter?

I have definitive thoughts but will wait before opining.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Once you are out of high school.
None...but baseball would be the most acceptable, but still unacceptable
No
Neither of the above applies to females, and hot females are encouraged to wear strategically fitting football jerseys.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

I don't see myself ever stopping wearing a Bengals jersey on football Sundays.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

Do what you want. It's a free country.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, the old Andy Pollin question. He's of the mind that no adult should. I disagree.

/wearing cheap #10 jersey right now

eta: I won't usually wear one outside of the house. Exceptions are if there is a "jersey Friday" at work or if I'm playing in a neighborhood game. Most of the time I'm wearing one is if I'm slumming around at home in sweats.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

But for real? I'm 42 and only wear a jersey to the game or around the house for away games.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh, the old Andy Pollin question. He's of the mind that no adult should. I disagree.

/wearing cheap #10 jersey right now

Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Do what you want. It's a free country.

This, but I do think it is considerably tougher to pull off a basketball jersey past ... maybe 25? ... than baseball/football/hockey.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Game day, and/or at the stadium.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Danny
Head Coach

Anywhere anytime for any situation you would also wear a tshirt

Last edited by Danny : 09-09-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Anywhere anytime for any situation yiu would also where a tshirt
That's an appropriate standard for me. It is odd to say, considering a t-shirt might be $5 and these jerseys can be more than $100. Given the cost, you should be able to wear them to a wedding.

I have far more of an issue with the name and the number of the jersey. A big guy like myself should never wear a quarterback jersey -- the only jersey I own is a #96 Ziggy Hood Steelers jersey that I got for a ridiculous low price. It's a cool Mizzou tie-in, and something I can wear to Mizzou games given the color without feeling out of place. The number should match the body type. Nothing is funnier than seeing somebody like myself wearing a #12 or some little guy wearing #96.

I'm not a big fan of putting your own name on the jersey, so I turn my nose at #12 Packers jerseys with "Baker" on the back. I'm also not a fan of the ridiculously out of date or bizarre choice jersey. At Chiefs training camp this year I saw a Tamarick Vanover jersey and a guy wear a Damon Huard jersey. Both belong in a box somewhere.

But it's a free country so do what feels good. Just be ready to be mocked.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

When the player hasnt been a member of the team in a few years
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

For those of you that still wear a jersey and paint your face to go to a football game, remember that the next time you laugh a someone dressed as a wookie at a Star Wars opening night.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Dola

That said, I think people can and should wear whatever they want. I think it is better if you wear a current jersey*, but I also know people cannot afford to always stay up to date.

*Vintage/obscure jerseys are also cool in my mind. Brett Favre Falcons jersey is obscure and cool. Carson Palmer Raiders jersey should probably be in a box.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
a) which sports are acceptable for you to wear a jersey?

Any of them. Jersey-wearing is a part of the sports fandom experience. That said, if you're trying to have some style on top of it, as somebody else said, basketball jerseys are very difficult to pull off. Baseball jerseys look the sharpest.

Quote:
b) does being at the game matter?

No. That said, I would say that the only times wearing a jersey is socially acceptable in public is when you're going to the game or when you're watching the game. Or, to partially answer the age question, if you're a traditional college student - so say, 25 or younger can still pull off jerseys as every day wear. Once you get above that, though, it starts getting awfully dicey.

Quote:
c) does gender matter?

No, other than that girls look damned sexy in jerseys, as do the specific types of girls who can pull off hoodies.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I have an O's jersey that I've only really worn when I attend the games. That being said, I had Mike Boddicker's name and number put on it as he was my favorite player growing up and was part of the O's last championship season. I've actually gotten quite a few compliments about it at the games.

I actually prefer getting names of favorite players from the past - it's like you bought the jersey with no expiration date (nor do you have to be fearful of the guy being traded or anything).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

My jersey rules.

If you wear the jersey of a player and said player is playing for another team than the jersey you are wearing, you're a fucking moron. Example, Colts fans it is not acceptable to wear a Colts Manning jersey. Once said player retires, it becomes acceptable again.

If you wear a jersey to a game and the team represented by said jersey isn't playing in the game you are attending, you're a fucking moron.

If you wear a jersey with your own name on the back, you're a fucking moron.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't do any baseball jerseys any more, but I still will wear Falcons jerseys on game day Sundays. We have a weekly football watching party with various friends in the area, and since almost none of us are native Massachusetts, we all come with various team jerseys that we support which I think is pretty cool. I only wear my jersey for this weekly party for football, and when football season is over, they go back in the closet until the next year. I don't wear jerseys of traded players or players on other teams though. ie: I wear my Matt Ryan jersey, but don't wear my Michael Vick Falcons jersey any longer. What I would love but haven't been able to find at a reasonable price is a vintage Steve Bartkowski Falcons jersey though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm like most others here, I'll wear one on gameday and occasionaly the day after a big victory for football. Baseball if I am going to the game.

One thing that makes me insane is when people go to a game and wear a jersey for a team that isn't even playing. Nothing annoys me more than some clown wearling a Yanees jersey at a Reds game.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
My jersey rules.

If you wear the jersey of a player and said player is playing for another team than the jersey you are wearing, you're a fucking moron. Example, Colts fans it is not acceptable to wear a Colts Manning jersey. Once said player retires, it becomes acceptable again.

If you wear a jersey to a game and the team represented by said jersey isn't playing in the game you are attending, you're a fucking moron.

This.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

I haven't worn a jersey in well over a decade, nor have I worn any rock band tee shirts. Guess I'm old, but I think they look silly on adults.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I have never worn a jersey in my entire life unless I was the one actually in the game. I don't care if anybody else wears one. I just won't wear one. I think they look ridiculous.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I actually prefer getting names of favorite players from the past - it's like you bought the jersey with no expiration date (nor do you have to be fearful of the guy being traded or anything).

I agree on this. I think there's a span where when a player has left the team it's not a good idea to wear the jersey, but past a certain point it's fine. Like McNabb. When he was traded to the Redskins, or was still trying to cling to a job with the Vikings? Shelve the jersey. Now that he's retired? Ok, it's fine again. Jaws throwback? Gold.

OTOH, I don't know if you want to get too obscure with players. I still have a Flyers jersey for Mike Bullard. Mike Fucking Bullard (a friend of a friend actually started referring to me as "Mike Fucking" bc of this jersey). Probably wasn't a wise choice.

ETA: yeah, I guess spleen covered this line of thinking. I'm with him.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-10-2013 at 07:47 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

Game day only, unless I had a hot body like cuervo's. Then all the time.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know the answer to this question but whatever age the board agrees on should also apply to backwards hats, sunglasses on the head, and beer t-shirts.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Game day only, unless I had a hot body like cuervo's. Then all the time.

I think we can all agree on this.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Technically, in hockey, they are sweaters, so they're safe.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I believe that this became acceptable with the advent of free agency, with the caveat that if you can buy a jersey with no number or name, you should probably go that route (for example, I have a no name / no number Carolina Hurricanes jersey).

But forcing people to buy it with a player who may be gone next season is just a rip-off.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

I've been sporting a Yuniesky Betancourt t-shirt jersey this season.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
For those of you that still wear a jersey and paint your face to go to a football game, remember that the next time you laugh a someone dressed as a wookie at a Star Wars opening night.

I do not laugh at all. Wear what you want. The only time I will criticize someones clothing is when it is not appropriate for the situation. Coming to me for a job interview wearing a jersey or a wife beater is not going to get you the job.

You want to dress up like Spock to go shopping? Good for. You, I am glad you are doing something that makes you happy.

I wear. A jersey on game days at the house.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #31
TroyF
Coordinator

Oh and as for "the rules" screw that. Life is too damned short. You want to rock the Vannover sjersey or Manning as a Colts fan? Do it. You want to have your name on the back of the jersey? Do it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
I agree on this. I think there's a span where when a player has left the team it's not a good idea to wear the jersey, but past a certain point it's fine. Like McNabb. When he was traded to the Redskins, or was still trying to cling to a job with the Vikings? Shelve the jersey. Now that he's retired? Ok, it's fine again. Jaws throwback? Gold.

I agree with this agreement.

Quote:
OTOH, I don't know if you want to get too obscure with players. I still have a Flyers jersey for Mike Bullard. Mike Fucking Bullard (a friend of a friend actually started referring to me as "Mike Fucking" bc of this jersey). Probably wasn't a wise choice.

But I don't agree with this (sort of). I love going to a game and seeing an obscure jersey that I know only a couple of hard-core fans of the team "get". An Ickey Woods jersey probably counts. A Bengals James Brooks or David Fulcher jersey surely counts. Danny White or Randy White or Ron Springs Dallas jersey counts. For me, the more obscure, the better but it's certainly diminishing returns for the jersey wearer/purchaser.

I can dig a guy wearing a 20-year old jersey of an obscure player but I get an even bigger kick out of a guy wearing a new jersey of a dude that played 20 years ago. You know this guy is into his team.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I think football and baseball jerseys are acceptable. Soccer jerseys are completely fine as well as long as you aren't 400 lbs wearing horizontal stripes.
Basketball jerseys? My son wears them. I know my limits. I agree with someone that says once you pass 25, basketball jerseys become a bit silly.

I don't own many Colts jerseys. My GF of college got me a personalized one with my name on it. Cool to look at and dream, but I've never worn it.

I have a Manning jersey. I've worn it only once since he left. It's long since retired now, waiting to be signed when he goes into the HOF. I have a Reggie Wayne jersey I wear on casual Fridays or to Colts games. I prefer Colts polos if I'm just going to run around town.

I own a ton of soccer jerseys I get when I'm overseas. I have the big teams like Man U, Arsenal, and Bayern, but I buy obscure ones a lot from Soccer Direct when I'm there. I have a Romania, Belgium, Hearts, and FC Koln. My favorite is the Celtic jersey I have.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

I have far more of an issue with the name and the number of the jersey. A big guy like myself should never wear a quarterback jersey -- the only jersey I own is a #96 Ziggy Hood Steelers jersey that I got for a ridiculous low price. It's a cool Mizzou tie-in, and something I can wear to Mizzou games given the color without feeling out of place. The number should match the body type. Nothing is funnier than seeing somebody like myself wearing a #12 or some little guy wearing #96.

This. 100% agree, be position appropriate. Wear it on gamedays. Don't tuck it in.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Subby
lolzcat

Basketball jerseys on adult males are never, ever acceptable. Ever.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not even if they are basketball players?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I wear soccer shirts fairly constantly* - as far as I'm concerned wear what makes you feel comfortable whenever you want to (so long as its not offensive to reasonable people).

*I collect soccer shirts, what can I say I'm a sad case and my wife has near enough given up on me ever attaining any fashion sense ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have like 20 Jaguars jerseys, and most are of classic folks - Tony Boselli, Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, etc. I also have some solid contributors from way back, and I even have a Steve Buerlein jersey. I don't wear the Leftwich jersey anymore, but I'm okay with the David Garrard one for some reason. I never bought a Gabbert one, never felt him. I have a Jones-Drew and Marcesles Lewis ones too.

But do I wear a Tony Brackens one? What about my Aaron Beasley one? Or my Donovan Darius one. Most people in the places I work wont know the names of three Jaguars who aren't McCardell, Smith, Taylor, Boselli or Brunell from the glory years or Jones-Drew from right now.

So I just wear whichever jersey I like, and say screw it. If I lived in Jacksonville, people would know who some of my more obscure folks are, and it wouldnt be an issue anyway.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not even if they are basketball players?
Probably depends on the player.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So does that mean my Bears Rex Grossman jersey needs to stay locked away?
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #41
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I do not laugh at all. Wear what you want. The only time I will criticize someones clothing is when it is not appropriate for the situation. Coming to me for a job interview wearing a jersey or a wife beater is not going to get you the job.

The ironic thing is in my line of work you're more likely to make a good impression wearing a sports shirt than a suit

(we try hard to not discriminate and have hired suit wearers before - but we do recommend they dress DOWN when they actually start work )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #42
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So does that mean my Bears Rex Grossman jersey needs to stay locked away?

Break it out when he retires.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #43
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
An Ickey Woods jersey probably counts. A Bengals James Brooks or David Fulcher jersey surely counts. Danny White or Randy White or Ron Springs Dallas jersey counts. For me, the more obscure, the better but it's certainly diminishing returns for the jersey wearer/purchaser

I guess. Though I would say that none of the players mentioned above are "obscure." Hell, Randy White is in the HoF.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I've been sporting a Yuniesky Betancourt t-shirt jersey this season.

I don't think it's even appropriate for his mom to wear his shirt or jersey. About the only use for those is to burn in effigy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
molson
General Manager

After the player depicted commits even one murder, but at LEAST after he is suspected in 3 or 4.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #46
Buccaneer
Head Coach

To the original question, 14 maybe 16, imo.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Schmidty
Coordinator

Fuck all of your rules.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thank you for that thoughtful reply!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #49
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I don't wear jerseys. A hat is enough. Too expensive, and they look dumb to me
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #50
Galaxy
Coordinator

What about those who get the jerseys with their own names of them instead of the real player?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote