Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Work for a rich family as an "assistant manager"

Assistant Manager for Family

Don't you love this job posting? An "assistant" manager for a rich family...$52k/year and a week of paid vacation, not to mention all of the other benefits. They sound like great parents and great bosses.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

That doesn't seem like a good salary for all the work involved and the hours involved. And just 1 week of vacation? I'll pass.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quibbles
- If they're running 3 businesses from their home, are any of them really "successful?" If there was one that was "SUCCESSFUL" then they'd be doing that all the time. Sounds more like they're running 3 in order to have enough cash to get by.
-"Possibly projects for any of the businesses, as directed" - what do you want to bet that's a MASSIVE time-sink.
-"Do our Christmas planning and shopping for us so we don't even have to think about it." That's ridiculous - those kids will love finding that out when they're grown up.
-Doesn't sound like they really want to be parents - maybe they ought to give them up for adoption.
-Partial gasoline and cell bill reimbursement? Gee, that's generous - NOT.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sod off - that job isn't all its cracked up to be by a long shot ...

Basically they're buying your life, if you're managing the household to the level they want plus babysitting their kids constantly AND helping with their businesses then exactly what time of your own would you have?

(similarly the bonus for 'report cards' - thats like only paying teachers if their students happen to be clever, you've no idea if the kids are capable of getting good report cards or 'nice but dim' ... and indeed what exactly is a good report card, thats a vague statement)

Finally ...

Quote:
.you have to be cool and thick-skinned.
That sounds very much like a way of saying 'we your employers will treat you like shit and expect you to suck it up' ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This sounds like a terrible job for people who are likely very unappreciative. Some people just shouldn't have children, they arent meant to be treated like an inconvenience.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, the number of people who would kill for a $52k/yr job is not insubstantial.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Sod off - that job isn't all its cracked up to be by a long shot ...

Basically they're buying your life, if you're managing the household to the level they want plus babysitting their kids constantly AND helping with their businesses then exactly what time of your own would you have?

(similarly the bonus for 'report cards' - thats like only paying teachers if their students happen to be clever, you've no idea if the kids are capable of getting good report cards or 'nice but dim' ... and indeed what exactly is a good report card, thats a vague statement)

Finally ...

That sounds very much like a way of saying 'we your employers will treat you like shit and expect you to suck it up' ....

Good point - I didn't even highlight that list bit, but you're absolutely right Marc.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This sounds like a terrible job for people who are likely very unappreciative. Some people just shouldn't have children, they arent meant to be treated like an inconvenience.

My thoughts exactly.

Then again - it's Westchester, so why am I not surprised.

*Disclaimer: My mother grew up in Westchester (Larchmont, Mamaroneck).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On the other hand, the number of people who would kill for a $52k/yr job is not insubstantial.

How many that would qualify? And where are they living/what is their cost of living?
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If this is in NYC, how far will that really get you in NYC when your rent probably eats up at least half of that, if not more, just to get close enough to be able to cater to this family's whims? If it's not NYC, disregard.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

$17/hr (assuming the hours really are 60 per week - I'm skeptical it will be that low) to essentially raise their kids and manage their life. Yeah, that's on the low side IMO.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

It's a suburb of NYC, Westchester County.

To live somewhere you could afford, let's say your commute is probably about an hour.

edit: I suppose White Plains might have cheaper housing.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 09-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love this one:
" ➕Must have an undergraduate degree from a reputable university"

SI

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I concur there are lots of people who will probably apply for that position - however the person they 'want' is obviously educated (ie. able to assist with homework at a good standard, able to do accounts) and both organized and cool under pressure ...

People who are all of the above are also likely to be wise enough to see that job for what it is (i.e. a lot of work with no real chance of promotion at all and very little substance to put on a resume going forward - which is what the most likely candidate (i.e. college graduate looking for first job) would want).

The 'employer' at best is going to end up with a series of short-term people out of college who do it as a short-term stop gap before finding a job in their area, at worst they'll hire people who are ill suited to that kind of responsibility or pressure ...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Then again - it's Westchester, so why am I not surprised.

*Disclaimer: My mother grew up in Westchester (Larchmont, Mamaroneck).

I hadn't clicked the link before reading this thread, and only did so after seeing your disclaimer.

I doubt overall that the post is real, but for argument's sake let's say it is. There isn't a chance in hell they are finding someone to do all that work at that salary. My brother's family is in Larchmont and he's got two girls, ages 7 and 4. They have a really great regular babysitter who will watch the girls after school in a pinch, or for a few random hours here and there, but mostly weekend nights when they want to go out. They pay her $15/hour (cash, not on the books like these people are paying) and she will play with them for a bit, get them ready for bed, and then hang around waiting for my brother and his wife to get home...so your basic suburban babysitting duties. But these people think they can get all of that for $16/hour, pre-tax? HA.

All that would likely cost double.

It almost seems like this is one of those "I'm a stay at home mom, but it's more of a real job than anything you people do" type posts you see on Facebook every now and then.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{shrug} I'm not saying the job doesn't/wouldn't suck. I'm just saying that there's a helluva lot of people doing suckier jobs for a lot less.

I can see this having particular appeal to a recent grad with no real family ties of their own and disappointing current career prospects for whatever reason.

edit to add: Location/cost of living will likely make this tougher, but if you drop the same offer into most areas then I figure you could get a solid pool of applicants.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
{shrug} I'm not saying the job doesn't/wouldn't suck. I'm just saying that there's a helluva lot of people doing suckier jobs for a lot less.

I can see this having particular appeal to a recent grad with no real family ties of their own and disappointing current career prospects for whatever reason.

edit to add: Location/cost of living will likely make this tougher, but if you drop the same offer into most areas then I figure you could get a solid pool of applicants.

I could even see it if the family is in a field you have upper management aspirations in where you think you could make a lot of higher level contacts. Not the prescribed way to do it but not totally out of left field, either.

SI

Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I hadn't clicked the link before reading this thread, and only did so after seeing your disclaimer.

I doubt overall that the post is real, but for argument's sake let's say it is. There isn't a chance in hell they are finding someone to do all that work at that salary. My brother's family is in Larchmont and he's got two girls, ages 7 and 4. They have a really great regular babysitter who will watch the girls after school in a pinch, or for a few random hours here and there, but mostly weekend nights when they want to go out. They pay her $15/hour (cash, not on the books like these people are paying) and she will play with them for a bit, get them ready for bed, and then hang around waiting for my brother and his wife to get home...so your basic suburban babysitting duties. But these people think they can get all of that for $16/hour, pre-tax? HA.

All that would likely cost double.

It almost seems like this is one of those "I'm a stay at home mom, but it's more of a real job than anything you people do" type posts you see on Facebook every now and then.

My mother's family is oldddd Larchmont. Going back into the 1800s. Strangely enough, they've basically all left the area now, although I think there's still 1 or 2 people who maintain memberships at the LYC.

OMG...so in googling to try to figure out something about their old family house...I just found the story about my grandparent's wedding in the Annapolis Capital (the marriage was down there b/c grandma was in school I guess?) from 1949. So adorable.

Throwing the link here more for myself so that I can show my parents later then because I expect anyone to read it...lol
http://newspaperarchive.com/annapoli...9-02-26/page-5

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Easy Mac

The book deal you could get when you write about the nutjob family after you're done will probably make up for the low salary.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

They planned for that - note the non-disclosure they want you to sign, too.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-09-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

My mother's family is oldddd Larchmont. Going back into the 1800s. Strangely enough, they've basically all left the area now, although I think there's still 1 or 2 people who maintain memberships at the LYC.

For your sake, I hope they kept some of the real estate in the family.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I was surprised this wasn't an 'accommodation rolled in' position - it'd make it far more appealing to the employee and also ensure the employee was easily on tap as required (and lets face it the job reads like you're on their beck and call).
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, this is basically a live-in nanny / surrogate parent position.

But from the sound of this posting, these people are more than likely a piece of work.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For your sake, I hope they kept some of the real estate in the family.

Unfortunately not .

The old family compound was out on Edgewater Point. The stories my grandfather tells just...blow my mind. Servants...chauffeurs, etc. He grew up in a different world.

My great-grandfather was something like the largest wholesale fishmonger in the country or something? Something like that. But that was all back before the Depression, so we're definitely talking ancient history. One of his brothers I guess was President of Union Pacific Railroad...etc.

Very hard-working "do it yourself" type family though. To my knowledge, the sons didn't really get anything passed down to them and were sent out into the world (with the backing of their educations of course) to make their own way. All did alright for themselves, some better than others, but we're not sitting on millions of dollars in inherited wealth or anything.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

Quote:
To my knowledge, the sons didn't really get anything passed down to them and were sent out into the world (with the backing of their educations of course) to make their own way.

That seems kind of strange. Maybe the depression wiped out the wealth, or maybe the estate tax combined with some poor financial planning did, but you gotta wonder if there's some knocked up stripper somewhere who ended up with the DT family fortune. Ah well.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I love this one:
" ➕Must have an undergraduate degree from a reputable university"

SI

Because people graduating from respectable universities that carry creed are going to want to be an assistant manager/slave for a family.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That seems kind of strange. Maybe the depression wiped out the wealth, or maybe the estate tax combined with some poor financial planning did, but you gotta wonder if there's some knocked up stripper somewhere who ended up with the DT family fortune. Ah well.

Depression was a part of it for sure AFAIK. Not sure about the rest.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #29
SteveMax58
College Starter

LOL....love the first one...
Quote:
Intense supervision of the 2 grade school-aged kids

Or in other words....our kids are little monsters that we have been too busy to properly raise & require "intense" supervision by somebody that actually has a backbone and/or knows wtf they are doing with kids.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Problem is if you show too much of a backbone little Jonny and Suzy will go running to Mom & Dad and you'll be fucked.

Showed this to my mom last night - she started off thinking it had to be a fake, but ended thinking that it was quite likely real.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

I'm still leaning towards fake. I'm going to email them and investigate further.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm still leaning towards fake. I'm going to email them and investigate further.

You totally should!!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Aw, hell, create your own fake gmail account, linked in account, etc and go for it hook, line, and sinker

SI

Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

I'm a little short on time for all that, but will start with a fake gmail. I have an old Yahoo account that I never use, but it displays my name when I send an email and I don't know how to get rid of that.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #35
TroyF
Coordinator

I had never heard of speed school before. learn something new everyday
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I had never heard of speed school before. learn something new everyday

NYC law firms call that the summer internship program.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

lawyers *shudders*
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #38
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Shit, at least one NYC law firm is looking for law grads willing to work for $10/hour - $52k/year probably sounds pretty good for more people than we'd think.

Full-time attorney needed for 3-6 month project; Flex/Home OK ($10/hr)

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

$16.67 an hour for baby sitting?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #40
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
LOL....love the first one...

Or in other words....our kids are little monsters that we have been too busy to properly raise & require "intense" supervision by somebody that actually has a backbone and/or knows wtf they are doing with kids.

The hell of it is that too many parents don't understand that Johnny and Suzy may get upset if someone actually holds them accountable for their actions.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #41
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

And doing their accounts and cleaning the house and whatever else they want done for their businesses ... 12 hours a day, 6 days a week .... 51 weeks of the year.

Quote:
Shit, at least one NYC law firm is looking for law grads willing to work for $10/hour - $52k/year probably sounds pretty good for more people than we'd think.

So in that job you get experience which will undoubtably help you gain a job in your profession - in the first you're being paid in a job which will be worth squat when applying for your next step in your career (unless you want to be a nanny your entire life).
Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #42
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Full-time attorney needed for 3-6 month project; Flex/Home OK ($10/hr)

Why do that if you might soon be able to make $15 flipping burgers?

:trollface:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Bargain.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #44
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Based on the job duties and pay, I would think most of the applicants would indeed be people who have killed before and may do it again.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #45
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Didn't BigJohn&theLions try something like this once?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So in that job you get experience which will undoubtably help you gain a job in your profession - in the first you're being paid in a job which will be worth squat when applying for your next step in your career (unless you want to be a nanny your entire life).

That's what that law firm will claim, but whoever takes that $10/hour job probably will never make a living in law. I mean, generally you're right, but the legal field is such an extreme example, where something like less than 50% of new law school graduates will ever find full time, permanent work in law. So those people get prayed on to do monkey work for low pay, with the promise of gaining "experience." Things are really grim for new grads in a lot of fields right now, I can see that money looking pretty darn good.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Showed this to my mom last night - she started off thinking it had to be a fake, but ended thinking that it was quite likely real.

I'm with your mom. Kids seem to be nothing be but "accessories" and "friends," today to a lot of parents, regardless or income level.

Quote:
And doing their accounts and cleaning the house and whatever else they want done for their businesses ... 12 hours a day, 6 days a week .... 51 weeks of the year.

And you got that required "respectable" bachelors degree to pay back for...and if you have a respectable university on your degree, I would imagine you could get a lot more on the market.

Quote:
That's what that law firm will claim, but whoever takes that $10/hour job probably will never make a living in law. I mean, generally you're right, but the legal field is such an extreme example, where something like less than 50% of new law school graduates will ever find full time, permanent work in law. So those people get prayed on to do monkey work for low pay, with the promise of gaining "experience." Things are really grim for new grads in a lot of fields right now, I can see that money looking pretty darn good.

And outsourcing legal work to India is becoming more and more common.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #48
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Bargain.

Yeah same thing I was thinking. The only cheaper I can get is having the grandparents watch ours...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
and if you have a respectable university on your degree, I would imagine you could get a lot more on the market.

Is that really true anymore? I think we're disproportionately skilled/gainfully employed at FOFC, but there's a LOT of people with bachelors degrees from respectful universities who aren't getting anywhere close to that right out of school, or even many years out of school. And they're not all working stepping-stone type-jobs towards greater success either. There's a lot of decently educated waiters and retail employees and nannies right now.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we're disproportionately skilled/gainfully employed at FOFC, but there's a LOT of people with bachelors degrees from respectful universities who aren't getting anywhere close to that right out of school, or even many years out of school. And they're not all working stepping-stone type-jobs towards greater success either. There's a lot of decently educated waiters and retail employees and nannies right now.

And secretaries and library aides and ...