Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 2 Thread

We move on to the second week of games. Here are the match-ups of Top 25 teams this week:

South Carolina at Georgia
Notre Dame at Michigan

The first games of the week are on Thursday night.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And BYU will welcome Texas to Provo.
If the BYU that showed up to play against Virginia is at the game on Sat. We get our asses handed to us.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
And BYU will welcome Texas to Provo.
If the BYU that showed up to play against Virginia is at the game on Sat. We get our asses handed to us.

And it depends on which Texas team shows up. If it is the one that was there for the first 25 minutes of the game against New Mexico State, things will be interesting. I hope the team that shows up is the one that was there for the second half, and set a school record for most yards in a game.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I have no clue who will win between Michigan and ND. Gardner played subpar against lower competition, but it is mostly being in shotgun versus being behind the center issue. He's proven he is better than that so I don't read too much into it. Michigan's running game was more about depth and overall talent versus how well it played. It will be interesting to see how well it does against a far better defense. Their OL is still young. Michigan's backup RB torn his ACL but considering that moved up Derrick Green, that might not be that bad of a thing. Michigan's D has the potential to be stellar this year so this will be a better test of that. Hoke is undefeated at home, but this is definitely one of the games that could break that streak.

Considering how pedestrian 'Bama's offense was last week, I figure the paint on the wall will be a heavy underdog to Saban and the rest of the coaching staff during the bye week. It feels weird to have 'Bama getting the bye week before the big game with the other team playing.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And it depends on which Texas team shows up. If it is the one that was there for the first 25 minutes of the game against New Mexico State, things will be interesting. I hope the team that shows up is the one that was there for the second half, and set a school record for most yards in a game.

You going to Utah for the game?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Unfortunately, no. Wasn't able to get away for the weekend.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering how pedestrian 'Bama's offense was last week, I figure the paint on the wall will be a heavy underdog to Saban and the rest of the coaching staff during the bye week. It feels weird to have 'Bama getting the bye week before the big game with the other team playing.

Not to look 2 weeks ahead , but . . .

As an Aggie, one of the best things that could have happened to us last year happened when LSU/Bama went to OT the week before our game. And that slugfest was a physical, grown man's game. I have no doubt that that fact contributed to our blistering start and allowed us to eventually hang on at the end. One of the first things I looked at when the schedules were announced were the weeks before the big game. While we have Sam Houston (a game that we should be up by 40 at the half), Bama will be at home, prepping and putting in real gameplans. Shit. Like Bama did against an inferior VT opponent, I expect us to keep it very vanilla and boring, yet do enough to get our starters out before the 4th quarter.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Not many people talked about the 'Bama/A&M game beforehand last year as I thought it deserved. 'Bama was in a brutal series of games and A&M could put up points. It being at 'Bama was the only thing that kept it from being a perfect storm of a game. That game and the LSU game were two times where the QB seemed to play as perfectly as one could which obviously was frustrating as hell to watch. I do think 'Bama's line needs to be significantly better but that's as much of a game I'm looking forward to outside Michigan/OSU and 'Bama in a possible SEC and national title game. I would have to check, but I think only Florida with Meyer has beaten 'Bama with Saban twice in a row. Beating them once is hell enough.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
, but I think only Florida with Meyer has beaten 'Bama with Saban twice in a row. Beating them once is hell enough.

LSU, 2010 and 2011
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosts Missouri State. This one should be a confidence builder.
Played No. Ill. tough and our QB played very well. AND IOWA THREW A PASS LONGER THE 6 YARDS.
Yes, thats what I said. We went verical.
Ruddock still needs to get comfortable. He is a RS Sophomore. And he did stare receivers down and was late releasing the ball on some throws. But I like what i see.

D Line may be a concern. O Line will be awesome by season end.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not many people talked about the 'Bama/A&M game beforehand last year as I thought it deserved. 'Bama was in a brutal series of games and A&M could put up points. It being at 'Bama was the only thing that kept it from being a perfect storm of a game. That game and the LSU game were two times where the QB seemed to play as perfectly as one could which obviously was frustrating as hell to watch. I do think 'Bama's line needs to be significantly better but that's as much of a game I'm looking forward to outside Michigan/OSU and 'Bama in a possible SEC and national title game. I would have to check, but I think only Florida with Meyer has beaten 'Bama with Saban twice in a row. Beating them once is hell enough.

My desire to see Alabama lose is outweighed by my desire to see Johnny Football brought down to size.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I wish Johnny Football didn't have the attitude he did then I might actually enjoy watching him play.

AFter listening to Winston last night it makes you wonder WTH is wrong with Manziel.. oh, well they all can't be well spoken with a good head on their shoulders.

Last edited by mauchow : 09-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Who is Winston?

And while I am no doubt biased, the media vilification (hi E!SPN. oh and finebaum you are showing your ass) on JF is getting damn tiring. Is he an asshat? Yep. Is he a rich asshat? Yep. But what has he really done to make him so hated? Did he punch a girl in the face? Was he apart of a drunken co-ed rape? His biggest transgressions are he likes football, beer, and hot chicks. No stone thrown from me here Oh, and he likes his f'ng social media shit. The last one is probably the biggest reason as to why he is seen so negatively. It is something that this generation is going to have to learn how to live with - hey young'ns, no one gives a shit what you had for f'ng breakfast or whose girlfriend you want to bang.

Having said that, the personal foul penalty against Rice royally pissed me off and I got tired of seeing him yapping with Rice defenders. He better be able to handle this kind of stuff more gracefully because its only going to get worse from here on out.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He behaves as if the rules don't apply to him. In any walk of life that's a repellent quality.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice touch by Arizona State.....

http://thenosebleeds.com/pat-tillman...d-this-season/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He behaves as if the rules don't apply to him. In any walk of life that's a repellent quality.

Well said.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I just got the chills looking at this. I would be ready to leave it all on the field every week with this image guiding me out there and if I ever wanted to give up, just looking towards that tunnel, would knock it out of me.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I just got the chills looking at this. I would be ready to leave it all on the field every week with this image guiding me out there and if I ever wanted to give up, just looking towards that tunnel, would knock it out of me.

Tillman is a true hero. He gave up a lucrative career and personal glory for the love of his country. We need more people like him. I remember some jackass DE (Simeon Rice?) for the Bucs made fun of him and said he couldn't cut it in the NFL.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

Watching the ECU-Florida Atlantic game on Fox Sports 1, I'm convinced that Petros Papadakis had naked pics of Fox Sports execs. It is the only explanation as to why he is on air. His voice makes me want to hear Joe Buck read stock market numbers. He makes Gilbert Gottfried sound like Vin Scully or the late Pat Summerall.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Watching the ECU-Florida Atlantic game on Fox Sports 1, I'm convinced that Petros Papadakis had naked pics of Fox Sports execs. It is the only explanation as to why he is on air. His voice makes me want to hear Joe Buck read stock market numbers. He makes Gilbert Gottfried sound like Vin Scully or the late Pat Summerall.
I'm with you - his voice is really hard to listen to. If you can believe it, I think he's got a radio slot in the LA market.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. Wasn't able to get away for the weekend.

Quote:
Texas has won 11 straight non-conference road games since a 27-24 loss at Stanford on Sept. 16, 2000.

I was at that Stanford game. So maybe it is for the best I wasn't able to make it to Provo for this one.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm with you - his voice is really hard to listen to. If you can believe it, I think he's got a radio slot in the LA market.

A nationally syndicated radio show. They used to have the Petros and Money show on the radio here in Detroit. Not sure if it's still on.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Petros and Money on Fox Sports Radio. It's an odd show.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Petros is great. He needs to do more games in the booth, not less
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Petros's voice does take some getting used to, as well as his over the top delivery. But once you get used to it, he's got good stuff to say and he's pretty intelligent with it, too.

If there's a guy I can't listen to because of his awful voice, it's Mike North. Good gawd.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Petros's voice does take some getting used to, as well as his over the top delivery. But once you get used to it, he's got good stuff to say and he's pretty intelligent with it, too.

If there's a guy I can't listen to because of his awful voice, it's Mike North. Good gawd.

Really like that show as well, Petros is the only one to date I heard that challenged the SEC this year stating top teams all have some weakness.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great story out of Old Miss. Kid gives up his scholarship money so another walk-on can get a full ride his final year of school....

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...nclick_check=1

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-06-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

College GameDay is crazy here in the Arbs. Traffic issues for a while yesterday driving by as everything was set up.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
britrock88
Pro Starter

Wait, since when are you in A2?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since a month ago I moved back to the area after finishing my degree at King of Prussia's Palmer Seminary. Looking for jobs elsewhere tough.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

One of the greatest College GameDay signs ever:

Old 09-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Goodness gracious. WKU at Tennessee. Hilltoppers QB has thrown INT's on three consecutive passes, and they've turned the ball over 5 times in their last six snaps. The second quarter just started. (24-3 Vols, courtesy of two pick six's)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #33
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU has completed 4 passes for 6 yards. Of there 57 yards rushing, 42 of them have come on two plays. I don't care how good that defense is, this offense is barely above non-existent.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A blocked punt before the half & it's now just 31-17 Tennessee. The offense has been abysmal -- fewer completions (3) than defensive interceptions (4). And Worley is probably the closest thing to a viable QB they've got right now.

A bad roster, questionable staff ... once again I suspect they're not much more than an decent HS team.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Canes offense has struggled today except for one good drive, but the defense has come up huge in key situations. Forced two fumbles, an INT, and a 4th down stop. Hoping they can hold this 14-9 lead for one more quarter. This would be a huge win.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #36
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, Petros is over the top, but he's one of the more intelligent guys in sports radio. I haven't heard him call any games, so I don't know how he is as a broadcaster, but as a radio host? Solid.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Canes offense has struggled today except for one good drive, but the defense has come up huge in key situations. Forced two fumbles, an INT, and a 4th down stop. Hoping they can hold this 14-9 lead for one more quarter. This would be a huge win.

The defense is doing all it can. I really don't know they can hold up without a first down or two at some point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

I want to think that this Canes-Florida game is great defense, but I think it's more ineptitude on both parts.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yessssss!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I want to think that this Canes-Florida game is great defense, but I think it's more ineptitude on both parts.

Yup - both offenses are interesting to say the least.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #41
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So far this season: MSU's offense, 12. MSU's defense, 28.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is barely a MAC team. And Im talking our coaching staff.
Our safeties are terrible. A couple slow guys with no athleticism.
I hope our QB can carry us and win despite the coaching staff.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #43
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Come watch Michigan State-USF!

I don't know if it's just that only the good spread teams get on TV (or stick with it), but it seems like the spread teams are much better than pro-style offenses early in the season.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
tarcone
Coordinator

If you guys want some funny radio. Listen to Sound Off. It is on about 2 hours after an Iowa football game. Its a fan call-in show about Iowa.
After this game, it should be really good.
I find it really fun when the drunk guys get on the show.

1040 WHO - News Radio 1040, WHO | iHeartRadio

Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #45
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Braxton Miller knee injury.

Edit - Calling it a sprain, but sitting him out.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #46
tarcone
Coordinator

Watching Mizzou.

Let me get this straight. A spread team like Mizzou can punch it inthe end zone, up the middle, from the one They could have been 5 yards out). But Iowa, a running team, Cant punch it in on 4th and 2 from the 2 against a FCS team?

Gonna be a long season.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #47
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Come watch Michigan State-USF!

I don't know if it's just that only the good spread teams get on TV (or stick with it), but it seems like the spread teams are much better than pro-style offenses early in the season.

I'm guessing spread teams are more likely to handle break downs and those will happen more often earlier in the season.

Also, MSU's usual starter was demoted to 3rd string. The QBs in front of him played so well, he's back playing again.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #48
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wisconsin has pitched two shutouts to open up the season against really bad competition but still impressive regardless. Even more impressive is back to back weeks of three different running backs tallying up 100+ yards and a TD each. The crazy thing is; the senior starting RB James White is the worst of the three and he's still pretty good.

One of the better games of the week in the country next week with Wisconsin traveling to Arizona St. Huge, huge, huge for both teams.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm guessing spread teams are more likely to handle break downs and those will happen more often earlier in the season.

Also, MSU's usual starter was demoted to 3rd string. The QBs in front of him played so well, he's back playing again.
Yeah, when you can't run a real offense, get your athletes 1 on 1 in space and hope they can make plays.

I'm just shocked that, what, 5 QB's have played today and BJ Daniels hasn't been one of them. For the last couple years it was how I knew college football was back - when I flipped to a random USF game and wondered how he still had eligibility. Then watched 5 minutes and wondered how he hadn't gotten any better.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #50
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Wisconsin has pitched two shutouts to open up the season against really bad competition but still impressive regardless.
Calling UMass really bad might be overselling them. I know 90% of the 2-deep is freshmen and sophomores, but it's embarrassing. We're now losing 24-7 to Maine in the 3rd quarter. They're not even ranked in FCS, and they've outgained us 409-195.