Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Buying a new Wireless Router - Need Help

Okay as many of you know I am not the most tech savy person. The current router has been having issues of late dropping out multiple times during the day. Rather than go through and try to trouble shoot the issues I would like to replace the router. I am currently using a Linksys WRT 320N. I have the following usage at any giving time. Four laptops using the wireless connection with one of them streaming Netflix, one desktop playing League of Legends and another playing some other online game. The two desktops connect directly to the router as we have our house wired with CAt5.

I really do not want to spend a fortune and have been looking at some dual band routers along with some that are not dual band. How about a little help from you techies out there. Thanks in advance.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

My router is a Netgear. Think it's the N600 but not sure - might be the one just below that. Wouldn't use any brand other than Netgear TBH.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

We have had this thing for years and not one issue...
WRT54G Support | Wireless-G BroadBand Router
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
My router is a Netgear. Think it's the N600 but not sure - might be the one just below that. Wouldn't use any brand other than Netgear TBH.

Speaking of which, it was interesting for me to discover that my new AT&T-supplied "Netgear" modem was actually made by Westel. The only thing Netgear about it is the nameplate based on what I've read.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
We have had this thing for years and not one issue...
WRT54G Support | Wireless-G BroadBand Router

I can second this router for sure. We picked it up maybe five years ago and we haven't had one issue with it.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My old NetGear was fantastic. I upgraded to a newer model a few years back, and have been completely un impressed. It seems to require rebooting from time to time, and oh the horror, you can't reboot it from the onboard menu. I have to physically go turn it off at the device. I have identified a new "Must Have" feature.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I am also a fan of Netgear. I currently have the N600 (WNDR3700) and have had no problems. My previous router was also a Netgear, also with no issues.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
cougarfreak
College Starter

I bought the new Apple Aiport Base Station Express for myself. It was a bit pricey, but had some extra bells and whistles. I just purchased the Apple Extreme for my in laws. I was shocked at how good the range was, and the ease of set up. And it was only $99. It's about the size of a Roku player for reference, and works with all operating systems.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I am also a fan of Netgear. I currently have the N600 (WNDR3700) and have had no problems. My previous router was also a Netgear, also with no issues.

I purchased a Netgear WNDR4300 from Amazon. It died 2 days later, hence my above purchases. I know they are a little more expensive, but check out the star ratings on Amazon between Apple and the other products. I switched, and am shocked at the quality difference, and the ease of use/setup, and range.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just got this one a few months ago:

Amazon.com: ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

I wanted an AC router for future proofing, but ASUS also has an N router which is a bit cheaper. Great routers.