Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Laptop woes

Having trouble with my Gateway laptop. More often than not, when my computer enters sleep mode it then shuts down incorrectly, and on restart it gives me that notification, and I restart windows normally.

As an aside I started noticing on startup that a little DOS command that says sdrc.exe would open for half a millisec and then close. I googled it, and its some sort of virus. I was going to try to troubleshoot it but I hadnt gotten around to it (I know..)

But last night the story was different. I hit the power button on my laptop, the power light came on, the fans started...then stopped and I was left with a big, blank screen. I got around this last night by completely removing the battery and unplugging. Once I reassembled everything, I was back in action.

Tonight there has been no luck. The same thing happens that happened last night, except pulling thepower iisn't fixing it.

So before I hand over my coins to Geek Squad.... any ideas or insight for a guy that knows very little about troubleshooting a laptop?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Any ideas? Last bump before I hand it over to GS
Old 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

From just the couple of minutes of looking into it, I don't know that the file that you are associating has anything to do with viruses. It sounds more like a corrupted windows file somewhere that is screwing things up. Is the laptop dead or does it power up and run normally, but just have problems shutting down?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
finketr
College Prospect

boot into safe mode? Operating system?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

The laptop isn't dead per se. The red light signifying power lights on when plugged in, but when I hit the power button the fans start but after about 2 seconds stop, and nothing happens. Could it be a driver issue?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

I can't even boot into safe mode as I get no notification of any kind on the screen
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Needless to say I realize how computer addicted I am. Browsing websites on my cell phone blows. How do people without computers live?