Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Vacation Mobile Phone Questions

This thread could just as easily be labeled panerd amateur hour questions. . So I don't get out of the country ever and the wife and I are taking a trip to Punta Cana. I was wondering about my iPhone...

1) Is there any way to get cheaper than $2 a minute? We have a young child here and would love to stay in touch more personally than email. Any apps that I would ignore otherwise that would be useful for this? We are crossing our fingers for FaceTime but don't know what the wifi situation/speed will be like. Other suggestions welcome. (Actually is FaceTime even free internationally?)

2) If someone calls or texts me do I get charged or do I have to answer to be charged? (Thinking specifically about the text preview box)

3). If I was wanting to play some games on the plane how do I know if they connect to the Internet?

I realize these are probably dumb questions but any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by panerd : 07-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
This thread could just as easily be labeled panerd amateur hour questions. . So I don't get out of the country ever and the wife and I are taking a trip to Punta Cana. I was wondering about my iPhone...

1) Is there any way to get cheaper than $2 a minute? We have a young child here and would love to stay in touch more personally than email. Any apps that I would ignore otherwise that would be useful for this? We are crossing our fingers for FaceTime but don't know what the wifi situation/speed will be like. Other suggestions welcome.

2) If someone calls or texts me do I get charged or do I have to answer to be charged? (Thinking specifically about the text preview box)

3). If I was wanting to play some games on the plane how do I know if they connect to the Internet?

I realize these are probably dumb questions but any help would be appreciated!

I can't answer all of these questions, but when I went to Spain I switched my iPhone to "airplane mode" and had no problems. By doing so, the only data you are ever going to receive is through a wifi connection and, thus, get none of the additional charges through a foreign carrier.

This won't solve your problem of trying to use your iPhone to communicate with your child or sending/receiving tests. Maybe Skype would work for calling your child or FaceTime?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't answer all of these questions, but when I went to Spain I switched my iPhone to "airplane mode" and had no problems. By doing so, the only data you are ever going to receive is through a wifi connection and, thus, get none of the additional charges through a foreign carrier.

This won't solve your problem of trying to use your iPhone to communicate with your child or sending/receiving tests. Maybe Skype would work for calling your child or FaceTime?

Will def remember to go airplane mode. I know my wife's mom facetimed from Africa last year but she doesn't really care that much about spending money so I don't know if it was free or quite costly.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What carrier do you use?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
What carrier do you use?

AT&T
Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
finketr
College Prospect

facetime works internationally in that I can facetime with my australian colleague without paying. I also have AT&T

I would use Skype on a wifi connection if you can get one. I've used skype to keep in touch with my wife and child from Singapore.

we (the wife) uses skype on her iphone/pad and pc to do video conference so that the grandparents can see their only grandchild.

Last edited by finketr : 07-12-2013 at 04:50 PM.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They have an international plan where you can sign up for a minimum of one month. It is $30 and you get 80 minutes, and if you go over that, it is $.50/min. That is just for voice. Data is separate.

edit 1: Oops, looks like that is just Canada/Mexico, and you are heading to D.R. Lemme check again

edit 2: Yeah, looks like DR is in the $2/min plan.

Last edited by cartman : 07-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
facetime works internationally, but I would use Skype on a wifi connection if you can get one.

we (the wife) uses skype on her iphone/pad and pc to do video conference so that the grandparents can see their only grandchild..

I've used skype to keep in touch with my wife and child from Singapore

Yes I would prefer Skype but it does require in tutorial for my mother-in-law (and installation on her computer ) that wouldn't be needed for FaceTime. Hopefully the resort has high speed Internet and we may have no problems at all. Glad to hear they are free, thanks for the response!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, if they have WiFi at the resort, that is the way to go. Use Skype or FaceTime.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They have an international plan where you can sign up for a minimum of one month. It is $30 and you get 80 minutes, and if you go over that, it is $.50/min. That is just for voice. Data is separate.

edit 1: Oops, looks like that is just Canada/Mexico, and you are heading to D.R. Lemme check again

edit 2: Yeah, looks like DR is in the $2/min plan.

Yeah I've been told the DR is one of the most expensive in the world to the United States.