Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Best Damn Sexual Harassment Case Period

Fox sports show personnel sued for alleged sexual harassment

LOS ANGELES -A lawsuit filed by a hairstylist for Fox Sports Network's "Best Damn Sports Show Period" alleges sexual harassment against host John Salley and some others involved with the show.

Lisa Brescher, 29, began working for the show in August 2001 and from the first day "was subjected to an environment of unrestrained sexual harassment," according to a Superior Court lawsuit filed Wednesday.

Fox Sports Networks said in a statement Thursday that an internal investigation could corroborate none of Brescher's allegations.

"Unfortunately, this is a case where a disgruntled worker thinks that there is money to be made by making outlandish accusations against a high-profile company and its stars," Fox spokesman Lou D'Ermilio said in a statement.

Brescher left the show on a disability claim in February, the lawsuit said. She is seeking unspecified damages. It wasn't immediately known whether the disability was due to the alleged harassment or some other injury.

A telephone number for Salley's agent provided by Fox Sports Network rang unanswered several times Thursday. A call placed to another number for the agent, Susan Haber, was not immediately returned.

Besides Salley, the lawsuit named News Corp., Fox Entertainment Group, Fox Sports Net and producer and co-host Tom Arnold.

It alleges that Salley, who played for the Chicago Bulls, the Los Angeles Lakers and the Detroit Pistons, made unwelcome sexual advances.

When Arnold learned of the allegations, he allegedly replied that he "didn't care," the lawsuit said.

Arnold allegedly branded Brescher "a troublemaker" and claimed Arnold banned her from the set, causing her "extreme anguish, severe humiliation, embarrassment and emotional distress," the suit stated.

Arnold insisted Brescher was not allowed on the set because of her "continued arguing and excessive talking with other staff members," his publicist, Staci Wolfe, said Thursday.

"The retaliation claims against (Arnold) are specious and without merit, and he has not engaged in any wrongful conduct with respect to this individual," Wolfe said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a slimy money making scheme to me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Re: Best Damn Sexual Harassment Case Period

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Fox sports show personnel sued for alleged sexual harassment

Sounds like a slimy money making scheme to me...

I would not jump to this conclusion. Sexual harassment is real, and goes on a lot more than people hear about, particularly in testosterone charged places where a limited number of women work with a large number of men (which describes this show to a T).

I am married to a woman who has turned in three people I know of, in two workplaces, for harassment and frankly, all three had it coming in spades. Did she sue? No, those matters were handled internally, because the employer in those cases knew what would happen, and was smart enough to do something about it, which doesn't sound like it was the case here.

As a manager, I've also terminated/reprimanded people over the issue, so I can tell you it does happen, and boy can it make a workplace uncomfortable for the folks subjected to it in a real hurry.

And frankly, Tom Arnold is enough of a pig I could see him doing/saying exactly that.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:15 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

I hate Tom Arnold.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

Should be interesting to see how this is played out.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Emotional distress caused by her being banned from the set?

Can I sue for being fired?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

We live in America! The land where you can sue anyone for anything!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

But don't forget to throw your disability claim in there too. You never know, the lawsuit may get thrown out so you'll need a back-up plan for quick cash...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:21 AM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

Man, am I glad that the goats I herd for a living can't retain legal counsel.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

Classic - that belongs in QOTM
Old 05-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Fritz says to the Lisa Brescher's of the world:

Suck it up
Old 05-04-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

john spider salley agrees with fritz
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:00 PM   #12
AgPete
College Prospect

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if either side was right. She may be a trouble maker trying to get back at her employers but I see how they treat Lisa "whatshername" on the set and I can definitely sense some apprehension in her. It's not very difficult to see Tom Arnold or John Salley crossing the line.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:15 PM   #13
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble

hahaha, CLASSIC QUOTE
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

AgPete, I agree that they both could be right. My problem would be, why say something now? If it had been going on, she should have said something back when it happened. Not after she's had some time on medical leave....

I wonder if she found out how great it is to not work and still get paid and thought she might try to cash in....just a though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #15
AgPete
College Prospect

I agree with ya Sabotai. Like I said, I could see it being a scam on her part as much as the real thing. I've worked in offices where women were treated like shit and the men would probably respond the exact same way Tom Arnold did in that quote so I can see her point of view too. You never know with Hollywood.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote