Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Vacation suggestions - July

Trying to figure out what I want to do re: vacation this summer - towards the end of next month probably (although August is open). Thinking international.

Sort of leaning towards a beach vacation - I've never actually done one as an adult, and the idea of kicking back on a beach in front of beautiful blue waters and just relaxing for a few days is appealing.

I know it's not the most common, but is it a horribly bad time to go to the Caribbean? If not, any suggestions for islands? I'm a bit mired in analysis-paralysis.

I could do some more of Europe, but then I'd probably do it in late August once the tourists have cleared out more, because mid-summer is a mess over there for the most part.

Any other thoughts?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mrs. A and I loved Kauai for our honeymoon. Lots of Hawaii/Beach stuff. But also great hiking/rainforest/etc. b/c of how much rain it gets.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I know it's not the most common, but is it a horribly bad time to go to the Caribbean? If not, any suggestions for islands? I'm a bit mired in analysis-paralysis.

Me and the wife are doing Jamaica in July - which is actually the 2nd lowest rainfall month there.

(Hey, book the Sandals Grande Rivieria for July 16th and you can meet Coffee and Mrs Warlord!)

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How about Cape Cod?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I was a single guy your age with some disposable income I would go to Hedonism.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really good time of the year to head to Canada. You could fly into Calgary and head over to Banff/Jasper National Park. Amazing scenery and really pleasant weather in July. Seeing Lake Louise and hiking up to the Valley of Seven Glaciers should be on everyone's bucket list.

If you want to go to an island in the Carribean, St. Maarten has always been my #1 favorite by a long shot. The island is split between France and the Netherlands. Fantastic little towns all over the place. Lots of fun outings as well. We participated in a race on former America's Cup boats and had a blast. Each person was assigned a task on the boat and we raced against other tourist-controlled boats.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sort of leaning towards a beach vacation - I've never actually done one as an adult, and the idea of kicking back on a beach in front of beautiful blue waters and just relaxing for a few days is appealing.

Its actually cheaper because of the misconception of tropical mayhem and outside of an actual weather event (which any reputable travel company will refund your money for) the weather is just as nice or nicer. Even when the weather forecast says rain all 7 days that isn't a Boston or St. Louis all day rain. It rains for like 10 minutes in the morning and it beautiful the rest of the day.

The wife and I are going to Iberostar in Punta Cana this July and I can't be more excited. We have done Jamaica and Mexico as well but it looks like the D.R. might be the best "bang for the buck". Are you looking for a party type atmosphere? A laid back adult only resort? Or a little bit cheaper one one open to everyone? I can definitely give you some advice but I have also found the travel agents do this kind of trip all the time you can give them a list of 20 things and they will pinpoint exactly what you want.

Also beware of thinking you can outdo the travel agent to save a few bucks. We had a trip on US Air with a layover in Miami and a week at Iberostar planned online and actually had an agent get us a direct charter to the same resort for cheaper. There is power in numbers with those guys.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Its actually cheaper because of the misconception of tropical mayhem and outside of an actual weather event (which any reputable travel company will refund your money for) the weather is just as nice or nicer. Even when the weather forecast says rain all 7 days that isn't a Boston or St. Louis all day rain. It rains for like 10 minutes in the morning and it beautiful the rest of the day.

The wife and I are going to Iberostar in Punta Cana this July and I can't be more excited. We have done Jamaica and Mexico as well but it looks like the D.R. might be the best "bang for the buck". Are you looking for a party type atmosphere? A laid back adult only resort? Or a little bit cheaper one one open to everyone? I can definitely give you some advice but I have also found the travel agents do this kind of trip all the time you can give them a list of 20 things and they will pinpoint exactly what you want.

Also beware of thinking you can outdo the travel agent to save a few bucks. We had a trip on US Air with a layover in Miami and a week at Iberostar planned online and actually had an agent get us a direct charter to the same resort for cheaper. There is power in numbers with those guys.

We have been to Punta Cana, I'll second it is really nice for a beach vacation
Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Tahiti.

Bora Bora
Moorea
For our honeymoon we did a place called Kia Ora Savauge. It was a small island on the Rangiroa atoll with just five bungaloes and a common building for meals. No power. How more relaxed can you get? It was really a cool experience. That of course was fifteen years ago. Some current research is probably in order.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Me and the wife are doing Jamaica in July - which is actually the 2nd lowest rainfall month there.

(Hey, book the Sandals Grande Rivieria for July 16th and you can meet Coffee and Mrs Warlord!)

I just might!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How about Cape Cod?

LMAO

Quote:
If I was a single guy your age with some disposable income I would go to Hedonism.

That's one possibility - although I mean...I'm not looking for like...a total partyfest.

Thinking more of a chill-cation. Relax...destress...that sort of thing.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Probably more laid back adult-only type.

Yeah, maybe I should talk to a travel agent instead of trying to analyze myself to death.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Be sure to not lose your Passport

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
McLovin
Mascot

Costa Rica...lots of sun and ladies....
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

Interesting idea.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to find something where I can stay at a nice resort-style place and get a high level of service and just be like...pampered for say 4 days. Totally relax and lie in a hammock on the beach and read a book and just kind of...release. Know what I mean? A total chill-cation.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd love to find something where I can stay at a nice resort-style place and get a high level of service and just be like...pampered for say 4 days. Totally relax and lie in a hammock on the beach and read a book and just kind of...release. Know what I mean? A total chill-cation.

Hey, my resort includes a personal butler.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, my resort includes a personal butler.

Exactly what I want. I saw some (Grace Bay I think was one) that include personal concierges/butlers, where they legit give you a cellphone when you get there to call your personal concierge. That's the level of pamper I'm hoping for (as ridiculous as it sounds).
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Which is exactly what I get (a cellphone for the guy).

http://www.sandals.com/main/ochorios...ler-villas.cfm

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-14-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Book it, then we can make our butlers have gladiator duels for our amusement.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I just might Robb Stark!!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I legit laughed at that for like a minute.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I legit laughed at that for like a minute.

And you're not even aware that we're both playing in the Game of Thrones WW-game. That adds a whole other level of hilarious to it.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #24
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It does get even more perversely awesome imagining Robb Stark and Lord Varys sitting drunk on a beach watching two servants fight each other.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It does get even more perversely awesome imagining Robb Stark and Lord Varys sitting drunk on a beach watching two servants fight each other.

I know, right!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
finketr
College Prospect

Vichayito
Mancora
Punta Sal
all in peru.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Vichayito
Mancora
Punta Sal
all in peru.

I <3 Peru
Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

Costa Rica was listed as the happiest country on earth the last two years running by some organization, I think. Friend of mine went there a week and a half a couple months ago and absolutely loved it.

Got no advice on the Caribbean thing. Only place I've been there is Vieques, P.R., which had awesome bioluminescent waters at night (one of the coolest things I've ever seen), but for that sort of chill-cation what DT's wanting, I'd be thinking to myself "Bar the personal butler, I could do this at home."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 06-14-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Costa Rica was listed as the happiest country on earth the last two years running by some organization, I think. Friend of mine went there a week and a half a couple months ago and absolutely loved it.

Got no advice on the Caribbean thing. Only place I've been there is Vieques, P.R., which had awesome bioluminescent waters at night (one of the coolest things I've ever seen), but for that sort of chill-cation what DT's wanting, I'd be thinking to myself "Bar the personal butler, I could do this at home."

Well bar the personal butler and the hammock and the white sand beaches and crystal clear water...yeah, I could just chill-cation at home.

Sort of want to get away though. Costa Rica is an interesting possibility.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Buy you a beer if you come to Ocho Rios.

...that is included in the all inclusive.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #31
britrock88
Pro Starter

If you're thinking international and next month, my main piece of advice would be to book pronto.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
Logan
Head Coach

Bermuda is a good option. A surprisingly short flight from NYC or Boston makes it cheap to get to, but it is fairly expensive once you're there. Beautiful though...we went last summer and had a great time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
If you're thinking international and next month, my main piece of advice would be to book pronto.

Yep - this is my plan. Gotta get it booked.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

All-Inclusive Vacations | America’s #1 Tour Operator | Apple Vacations

You can usually find a good "last minute deal" or specials.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
All-Inclusive Vacations | America’s #1 Tour Operator | Apple Vacations

You can usually find a good "last minute deal" or specials.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Book the damn Ocho Rios trip already!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hehe maybe.

Just found a sweet deal for Turks & Caicos though. Grace Bay Club (4 nights, 1500), or Seven Stars (5 nights, 1300). WITH airfare.

That's insanity. Grace Bay Club is like...phenomenal.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I'm sure it will be very romantic, just the 3 of you.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure it will be very romantic, just the 3 of you.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I love this suggestion

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Booked my vacation for July 23-28.

Turks and Caicos resort | The Somerset on Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos

Got a nice package on Orbitz...less expensive then I was budgeting for, so that's cool.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-02-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #42
finketr
College Prospect

seems nice.
i spent 5 days here: Hotel Royal Decameron Punta Sal - Peru

And it comes close to matching the pictures.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
seems nice.
i spent 5 days here: Hotel Royal Decameron Punta Sal - Peru

And it comes close to matching the pictures.

Beautiful. Wayyyyy up north there hmm?

Did you get out much, or basically just stay at the hotel?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
finketr
College Prospect

We walked from the resort in both directions along the beach for about 45 minutes in each direction. On another day, we took a taxi to Mancora to go souvenir shopping.

It's absolutely stunning location.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We walked from the resort in both directions along the beach for about 45 minutes in each direction. On another day, we took a taxi to Mancora to go souvenir shopping.

It's absolutely stunning location.

Cool - might have to check it out. Was just talking to my friend (who honeymooned in Peru) the other day and we were both saying we totally wanted to go back.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
Galaril
Pro Starter

Dude should of just gone to Thailand or the PI if single
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Dude should of just gone to Thailand or the PI if single

LOL

It's not a "pick up chicks" vacation though - I just want to relax. I want to lie on the beach and have my biggest concern be "where is the beach attendant with my next umbrella drink." Need to...de-stress.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
LOL

It's not a "pick up chicks" vacation though - I just want to relax. I want to lie on the beach and have my biggest concern be "where is the beach attendant with my next umbrella drink." Need to...de-stress.

Yes, it's way up north. We flew from Lima to Tumbes (90 minutes or so) and then a nice 90 minute bus ride down to the resort. We were lucky that her parents wanted to watch our son for the days we were away so we got a pleasant 5 day adult time with each other. we had considered Cusco but ~June 24 or so is a big festival called Inti Raymi (spelling) which is near to the same as Sol Invictus (i think it's called) in the Northern Hemisphere. I think our next trip to Peru assuming it's not the wet season in Cusco/Machu Picchu we will be headed there.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #49
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, it's way up north. We flew from Lima to Tumbes (90 minutes or so) and then a nice 90 minute bus ride down to the resort. We were lucky that her parents wanted to watch our son for the days we were away so we got a pleasant 5 day adult time with each other. we had considered Cusco but ~June 24 or so is a big festival called Inti Raymi (spelling) which is near to the same as Sol Invictus (i think it's called) in the Northern Hemisphere. I think our next trip to Peru assuming it's not the wet season in Cusco/Machu Picchu we will be headed there.

Yeah - I can't remember if we were down there in early June or early July, but I seem to recall Inti Raymi. I definitely recall some crazy big parade in Cusco when we were there.

Cusco/Machu Picchu is amazing. But then again, having a Peruvian wife you probably don't need me to tell you that!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #50
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

For those of you with more experience than I in Caribbean trips.

Obviously I'm bringing back a couple bags of coffee from Jamaica. On the way back, do I need to bother declaring them at customs or not?