Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

My son and Down Syndrome

I posted the exiting birth story of my son Henry a little over a month and wanted to share with you the news we received a few days after he was born. Henry is diagnosed with Down's syndrome, also known as trisomy 21. The doctors had suspicions after seeing some common physical traits of DS. One was his webbed toes, and the other were his ears (they were small and lower than "normal"). They took blood samples to run a chromosome test and told us it could take 5-10 days for the results. After four days the results came in - and it was confirmed, Henry has three of the chromosome 21.

I'm the first one to say that I am not very good at describing my feeling in writing. I can't even describe to you all the feelings I had leading up to the conformation because my emotions were so up and down. All I know, I had to be there for my wife. She was a wreck! Being strong for her helped me through the grieving stages.

Fast-forward to today... after a few weeks of the grieving, shock, and about 1,000,000 different emotions - we have a completely different aspect to having a child with special needs. You see, I (we) have never been around anyone who has special needs. The more we read, watch, and listen to other people talk about their lives with special needs, the more I feel blessed we have Henry in our life. I wouldn't change who he is for anything. I am very grateful for our family and friends - they have been so supportive. I know it seems obvious - but it's amazing how much support has helped and will continue to help.

Thank you for reading - I'm sure I'll be updating the post many times throughout the years

[IMG] photo 066.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 048.jpg[/IMG]

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Beautiful boy!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

He is very cute. Congratulations on the birth of your son and my best wishes for many many years of happiness.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I dated a girl for three years in high school who had a brother with cerebral palsy. While obviously not the same diagnosis here, those three years around him taught me a lot about how much you can learn from special needs kids. They'll make you a better person and teach you a lot about how to enjoy life. Not always easy, but very rewarding.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
finketr
College Prospect

cute kid! digging the trees onesie.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Congratulations. And, like EF27 said, best wishes for many great years together.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I dated a girl for three years in high school who had a brother with cerebral palsy. While obviously not the same diagnosis here, those three years around him taught me a lot about how much you can learn from special needs kids. They'll make you a better person and teach you a lot about how to enjoy life. Not always easy, but very rewarding.

This.

He's blessed to be with you and your wife CleBrownsfan.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

Having a child with special needs is sort of like ordering a hot fudge sundae and getting a cheesecake instead (or replace two other desserts you really like). It may not be what you expect, but what once you start eating it, it is wonderful and brings joy to your life .
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Having a child with special needs is sort of like ordering a hot fudge sundae and getting a cheesecake instead (or replace two other desserts you really like). It may not be what you expect, but what once you start eating it, it is wonderful and brings joy to your life .

I love the analogy

Reminds me of this amazing piece someone wrote about the experience of raising a child with a disability:

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

He is adorable and you definitely should feel blessed to have him Best of luck to you and your family in the future!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

What a terrific looking young man (even for a future Browns fan). Best of luck to you as you move forward and this is a community that will be here to celebrate the successes and help you through any stumbles.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I should add on a funny experience over the weekend. We were at a wine and food festival doing tastings of our wine. A guy around 30 years of age with Down Syndrome came over with one of his relatives to do a tasting. I kid you not, this guy knew more about wine than 75% of the people I served that day. Talked with him for 15 minutes about wines, food, etc. Really impressed and it was obvious how big of an impact his family had on his development and how much they allow him to be his own person.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I should add on a funny experience over the weekend. We were at a wine and food festival doing tastings of our wine. A guy around 30 years of age with Down Syndrome came over with one of his relatives to do a tasting. I kid you not, this guy knew more about wine than 75% of the people I served that day. Talked with him for 15 minutes about wines, food, etc. Really impressed and it was obvious how big of an impact his family had on his development and how much they allow him to be his own person.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

cute kid!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wow, cute kid! You are blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

My 12 year-old has Down syndrome. Anything you need to know or want to talk about, pm me. Anytime.

Your son is beautiful.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Congrats (may have missed the announcement)!

I have read the Italy/Holland piece before and think it is great.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
BigDPW
College Prospect

He is adorable and will bring you lots of joy.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Awwww, he's adorable! I'm very much looking forward to updates.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

He's a sweet looking boy. Good luck.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Congrats and all the best! Our elder one has some special needs as well so it will be tough but we wouldn't change anything
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

He's blessed to be with you and your wife CleBrownsfan.

He is indeed!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

He is absolutely adorable and blessed to have you as parents, as you are to have him as your child.

Wishing you many, many years of happiness!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #24
Icy
Pro Starter

It's totally understandable that you went through 1,000,000 different feelings at first, but your final thought is the right way to see it, and shows you will be the perfect parents for him, big congrats for realizing it!

One of my best friends, who is also the bassist of my rock band, is a psychologist that specialized in Down syndrome kids. He started a non profit organization 15 years ago to help them and the parents to integrate in the society and specially forming and helping them to find a job. He is doing a damn fine job, the kids and the parents love him because his not standard approach to their problems and integration, giving them way more freedom than what most of us ignorant people would think they could assume.

I remember the first time he took a group of the kids (teens and older) in a bus and brought them to one of our live rock shows. Our initial (and ignorant) reaction was to feel weird about it and sorry about them, and to talk to them like if they younger or dumb or like if we could offend them with any comment we made.

On the other hand, he talked to them like you do to any other teen, even making jokes with them about their limitations and they also made fun of him like any other teen do to their buddies. You should have seen their faces, they were so happy of being in a rock live show with hundreds of other teens, totally integrated with other people of the same age group. Since then, he repeated the experience a lot of times and it was great for the kids, their parents and for the rest of us that learned how special they are and how ignorant and full of prejudices most of us are about the down syndrome.

He gave us a big lesson, It opened our eyes a lot, and changed the way we see down syndrome kids. They ARE special, they KNOW it, and they ACCEPT it, for the good and the bad, and it's stupid to feel sorry about them or to feel weird, and specially to show that to them. It is the first step to have them integrated in the society and to feel like any other person without that problem, with the good and bad situations every person has to deal with daily.

That is the first thing he teaches to down syndrome parents, to not to feel sorry, sad and to hide or to over protect them that could be the first reaction, but to teach them to know their limitations and to get over them and to enjoy that process, that while probably harder than for any other parent, it's always way more rewarding. You have already realized this by yourself, says a lot about you.

Btw, there are probably a lot of good professionals around you, and he lives here in Spain and barely speak English, but if you ever have any doubt or want to know anything, just PM me and i'll help with translations.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Great story Icy - thank you for sharing...

Also, thank you for everyone's kind words - they do mean a lot to me!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Galaxy
Coordinator

Adorable boy! Love and joy comes in all different kinds of unexpected packages.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

I was also going to share something along the lines of what Icy said...there are likely multiple organizations around Cleveland (check associations with hospitals and colleges) that serve as resources for families of children with special needs. It's great that you have support from family and friends but definitely don't overlook what else is out there!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Logan - you're correct. We have a state run and non-profit organization in our area that we have been in contact with. We're looking forward to meeting parents with kids who have special needs as well.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FWIW.....would love to see regular updates going forward if you have the time.