Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
StLee
High School Varsity

Food aversions

Just wondering if anyone else is like me on this:

I love food. I love it TOO much. I will try just about anything, and I will probably enjoy it.

Unfortunately, with my love of food comes a very real, very frustrating addendum. When it comes to eating, I need variety in meals or I go insane.

For example: It's breakfast, and I decide I am in the mood for an egg sandwich. Let's go simple with this one. Egg and cheese on a slice of bread with lettuce and a tomato slice.

For the rest of the day, I do NOT want any of those ingredients in my food unless it is prepared in a much different way, say a cheesy sauce or a different kind of bread (definitely no sandwich, though).

More: I LOVE leftovers. I HATE leftovers. Makes sense? It doesn't to me, either. I can eat leftovers, but not in any kind of consecutive meal or twice in a day. If I eat something for lunch, I cannot eat it for dinner, but I can have it for lunch or dinner the next day.

More: I am married to a wonderful Korean woman who has a wonderful mother who stays with us during the week to watch our child while we're at work. Many times she does us a huge favor and cooks dinner so that we don't have to do it when we get home from work. Unfortunately, she cooks the same two or three dishes, and she always cooks a LOT of it. Therefore, I must thank her for her cooking but reject her meals often because I just can't eat what she cooked for the 8th time in the month. In fact, I can no longer enjoy what was once one of my favorite Korean dishes.

I definitely have food aversions, right? I think it started when I was a kid. My mother usually varied food, except for one thing. She would cook spaghetti at least once a week or once every other week. However, she would cook so much of it that it became leftovers for half a week. To this day, I never crave spaghetti and will pass it over for almost anything else. My mother's spaghetti was delicious, but I remember summers, especially, at home being forced to eat it two meals a day for three or four straight days. It makes me a bit ill just typing it here.

So, am I alone in this? Anyone else here similar to me?

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736

StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hate cheese with a passion. Cannot stand the stuff. Cheeseburgers, lasagna, cottage cheese, doesn't matter. But I'll eat the hell out of pizza. Doesn't make much sense.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

I hate peas

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I hate cheese with a passion. Cannot stand the stuff. Cheeseburgers, lasagna, cottage cheese, doesn't matter. But I'll eat the hell out of pizza. Doesn't make much sense.

I'm fairly close to this. Try to avoid cheese, except for feta or mozzarella, but will deal with it if I accidentally come across it.

And, StLee, I hear you on getting sick of a dish. Salmon, spaghetti, and pasta salads are dishes that I had too much of in my childhood to enjoy fully now.

As for you MIL's Korean cooking, though--send it my way?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm generally described as the pickiest eater on the planet. A list of things I can't stand:

- eggs. Dear god, eggs. When people are eating an omelette next to me, I scoot over because the smell makes me nauseous

- mushrooms. Fungal spawns of satan.

- Meat - I decided to become a vegetarian about 4 years ago, so meat is off the table. I don't hate it or anything, but don't eat it anymore.

- Oatmeal/Porridge - like eggs, in the makes me nauseous category

- Select vegetables: peas, broccoli, bean sprouts, cauliflower, etc etc etc

The list goes on - this is the short version.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I hate eggplant. It's vile.

I don't like tomatoes either. Though I make an exception for a caprese salad and I don't mind tomatoes in sauce form.

I don't like fruit in bread, though I will make an exception for apple pie. It's always quite depressing whenever I see a delicious looking cake and find out there is some sort of fruit in or cinnamon rolls with raisins. Those are the worst.

I don't like fruit and chocolate combined in any way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm with Crapshoot on the nauseous nature of eggs and omelettes, yet for whatever reason I have no problem eating food with eggs in them so long as I can't see, taste, or smell the egg in it.

Also with him and tarcone on hating peas. The texture and taste are both gag-inducing.

I used to not like tomatoes but over the years I've gotten to like them cooked just fine. A raw tomato though, and I'll still peel it off whatever food item it's on.

And yeah, I'm a picky eater, too, though I used to be even worse than what I am now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

I understand a lot of what people are saying in this thread.

Except the OP. He's completely fucking insane.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sea cucumber.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Texture is huge with me. The list of foods I cannot stand are usually related to the feel and texture of the foods. I love apples but cannot stand apple pie, applesauce, jelly or anything like that.

Pretty much anything that is lumpy or slimy is a no-go. No mushrooms, no cooked pudding, no orange juice with pulp. Love mashed potatoes but they have to be lump free.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Despise mashed potatoes.

Biggest oddity has gotta be my Thing With Lettuce. Salads? Great. No problem. Lettuce on burgers or sandwiches, or pretty much anywhere but in a salad? No way. Same deal with tomatoes. Love them by themselves, keep them away from things placed between bread.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

bananas. just the sight or smell of them used to make me nauseous. Now I can handle them if the kids want them or something, but I'm not going to eat one. ever.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
AnalBumCover
College Starter

You can keep your raisins, thank you.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Raisins. Nope, nope, nope.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am pretty much OK with anything that doesn't include Lima Beans.

Those things are the foulest edible things on the earth AFAIC....
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

List of foods I won't consume:
Liver
Sweet Potato (esp. with marshmallows on - what is wrong with you people?)

Foods I don't really enjoy but will eat:
Spaghetti

List of foods I will merrily overeat:
Everything else (and yes I include such things as black pudding in this)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Despise mashed potatoes.

Same here. And it's not like I don't like them. Pretty much the same as with what StLee talked about. I had them so much growing up that I just stand them anymore. I like potatoes in just about any other form, but I just can't do the mashed potatoes anymore.

And candied sweet potatoes is the greatest invention ever (but never had them with the marshmallows on, just a giant dose of brown sugar and butter)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Nothing. The only thing I actively dislike is coconut. Other than that, I eat anything, and look down upon the rest of you as a bunch of picky uptight fancy lads.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Nothing. The only thing I actively dislike is coconut. Other than that, I eat anything, and look down upon the rest of you as a bunch of picky uptight fancy lads.

Have you ever tried sea cucumber??
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The list of things I won't eat has three items on it:

Coffee
Cooked Mushrooms (fluffy white ones on veggie platters or salads are amazing)
Coconut (though Coconut milk is ok)

That's it. I've tried, over and over and over again, to like sauteed mushrooms...and I just can't. I want to, but good god they're awful and terrible and so disgusting it's gross.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #21
mckerney
Coordinator

Peanut butter is one of the most vile substances in existence.
I dislike most fish though I do like catfish, sushi and almost all other seafood.
I've never eaten meatloaf because I was told it was bad as a child.
I think turkey is one off the worst foods for a holiday dinner, it's just so bland, dry and flavorless. Thanksgiving is much better when I go and have dinner with my friends family that makes a bunch of Taiwanese food. Yams, sweet potatoes and cranberries are pretty bad as well.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

tomatoes are poison.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pickles, Olives, and Raisins are great on their own. Pickles and Olives in something...meh. Raisins in something? Bleh!

My wife hates warm tomatoes. She also hates long pasta like Angel Hair, Linguini, and Fettucine, but the bowties, rigatoni et al are fine. She also hates fish, except Tuna for sandwiches and fish and chips. The most fishy tasting foods.

I hate Zucinni. Way to watered down and mushy for my taste.

My brother hates cherries. Cherry Slurpees, Cherry Coke, Cherry anything.

I used to hate Onions, Bell Peppers, and Mushrooms, but as I matured, I outgrew the aversion to delicious foods

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh and spotted dick is a no-no
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
mckerney
Coordinator

Oh, and turkey for Christmas dinner is pretty much the worst think ever. It's alwayw a feeling of, "Ugh, didn't we just so this? Couldn't we actually try to have something good instead?"
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Coffee

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Oh, and turkey for Christmas dinner is pretty much the worst think ever. It's alwayw a feeling of, "Ugh, didn't we just so this? Couldn't we actually try to have something good instead?"

There are people who do that? That would suck, I agree. Growing up, we had turkey for Thanksgiving (which I never liked until my cousin grew old enough to cook the turkey and he does an excellent job of it), and ham for Christmas.

Oh, that reminds me of another food aversion I have - I hate leftovers as a general rule. I even hate the word itself and always politely decline them when offered. The only leftovers I can think of liking off the top of my head is pizza - cold pizza for breakfast rocks. Reheated pizza? Nope.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Im not a huge fan of turkey, but I can't eat beef or pork so I do what I can. My dad makes a pretty good one though and I usually douse it in gravy.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #29
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I understand a lot of what people are saying in this thread.

Except the OP. He's completely fucking insane.

Ayep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Coffee
Cooked Mushrooms (fluffy white ones on veggie platters or salads are amazing)
Coconut (though Coconut milk is ok)

That's it. I've tried, over and over and over again, to like sauteed mushrooms...and I just can't. I want to, but good god they're awful and terrible and so disgusting it's gross.

Yeah, mushrooms.. yuck.

now, having said that, I put them in my red spaghetti sauces ground up and/or stick blended as long as I can't see 'em.. sauteed mushrooms make me nauseous.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Yeah, I'm strange. Don't mind the smell at all, a brewing pot of coffee is pretty awesome to the olfactory sensors.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-04-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm the same way. I don't drink coffee (never tried it, to be honest) but I love the smell of it (candles, coffee shops, etc)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Cooked peas for me. Tomatoes plain..

Spaghetti i will eat if i have to but avoid making it at all costs.

I love mushrooms, the varieties and flavors are amazing if done right.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Olives - I have a visceral reaction to the smell and taste.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My father has a huge issue with eating... he eats about five meals:

-Spaghetti (his way only... noodles, hamburger and campbells tomato soup...)
-Hamburger and Beans
-Mac n Cheese w/hotdogs sliced in
-Pizza (cheeseburger pizza only)
-Hamburgers n fries
-Cereal (laced in sugar)

Yeah, a real broad diet he has. When he watched our kid for a week at our house he literally ate the same meal for lunch and dinner three days in a row (hamb n beans).
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
My father has a huge issue with eating... he eats about five meals:

-Spaghetti (his way only... noodles, hamburger and campbells tomato soup...)
-Hamburger and Beans
-Mac n Cheese w/hotdogs sliced in
-Pizza (cheeseburger pizza only)
-Hamburgers n fries
-Cereal (laced in sugar)

Yeah, a real broad diet he has. When he watched our kid for a week at our house he literally ate the same meal for lunch and dinner three days in a row (hamb n beans).

And close to zero fruits or veggies...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
More: I LOVE leftovers. I HATE leftovers. Makes sense? It doesn't to me, either. I can eat leftovers, but not in any kind of consecutive meal or twice in a day. If I eat something for lunch, I cannot eat it for dinner, but I can have it for lunch or dinner the next day.

More: I am married to a wonderful Korean woman who has a wonderful mother who stays with us during the week to watch our child while we're at work. Many times she does us a huge favor and cooks dinner so that we don't have to do it when we get home from work. Unfortunately, she cooks the same two or three dishes, and she always cooks a LOT of it. Therefore, I must thank her for her cooking but reject her meals often because I just can't eat what she cooked for the 8th time in the month. In fact, I can no longer enjoy what was once one of my favorite Korean dishes.

I definitely have food aversions, right? I think it started when I was a kid. My mother usually varied food, except for one thing. She would cook spaghetti at least once a week or once every other week. However, she would cook so much of it that it became leftovers for half a week. To this day, I never crave spaghetti and will pass it over for almost anything else. My mother's spaghetti was delicious, but I remember summers, especially, at home being forced to eat it two meals a day for three or four straight days. It makes me a bit ill just typing it here.

So, am I alone in this? Anyone else here similar to me?

I get the repetitive leftovers thing. I'm mostly like that- I try to get a variety in my food so I'm not eating the same thing over and over again.

On that note, I had a roommate who went through food cycles. He would binge on something and then get sick of it, only to binge on the next thing and the cycle would repeat itself. So, for instance, he would eat cereal for 3 meals a day for a week and then get soured on it. Then it was PB&J for every meal for a week. Then it would be no breakfast but mac and cheese for a week. Then it would be oatmeal for a week. Then he would go back to cereal again. This is a bit of an exaggeration but not much.

There are some things I'm not a fan of but I actively hate onions. I don't like the taste. I don't like the texture. I don't like them cooked and I hate them raw. I do not like them, Sam I Am, I do not like them! I think I'm just overly sensitive to them as my mom is allergic to them. If I have ones- unless they're really overcooked (like in cheap, crappy spaghetti sauce in small quantities), I will be tasting them on my breath for a couple of days. Even in the exception noted about, I'll still taste them- just for only a day. So, I especially love people who know this and try to sneak them into foods. JUST STOP ALREADY! I know them by their trademark crunch when I bit into them and I will be tasting them for days no matter how great your grandma's mac and cheese recipe is, I won't like it. And who puts onions in that anyway? (/rant off)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #37
BillyNYC
High School JV

I can't eat or really even smell broccoli. Won't voluntarily eat mushrooms.

Yet I'd be dangerous on Fear Factor, having willingly chowed down on brains, intestines, whale, armadillo, and other things. Wish I understood my limited (and almost all vegetable-related) aversions. I preach food-openmindedness...but you couldn't pay me to eat a stalk of broccoli.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #38
Danny
Head Coach

Just onions, hate them, especially raw. Cant stand the texture / Crunch.

Last edited by Danny : 05-06-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #39
Danny
Head Coach

Oh but I actually like onion rings / awesome blossom
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gluten.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #41
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Olives - I have a visceral reaction to the smell and taste.

This.

Love olive oil though.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #42
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Canned mushrooms and similarly slimy foods bother me.

Fresh mushrooms are awesome on the other hand.

And don't you ever offer me anything but Heinz ketchup. There's a difference, and it matters too much to me. I'll kill someone if they pull some shit like this.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think lettuce is the only green food I'll eat.

I cannot stand even a hint of coconut or malt (y'know, the stuff in malted milk balls).

If a green pepper even gets near pizza I can't deal with it, that's all I can taste ... but I'll pick around 'em & eat something like green pepper chicken from a chinese buffet.

I'm very texture averse, the notion of eating something seedy or stringy, ack.

My wife takes the prize in our house though.
She is absolutely disgusted by mayo ... except on a BLT, where it's a must.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #44
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Oysters (especially raw) are a no no for me. Bleargh.

Squid is another no no unless it's fried calamari (in which case I'm pretty much eating batter anyways).
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Canned mushrooms and similarly slimy foods bother me.

Fresh mushrooms are awesome on the other hand.

And don't you ever offer me anything but Heinz ketchup. There's a difference, and it matters too much to me. I'll kill someone if they pull some shit like this.

Ketchup of any brand is vile.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No ketchup on fries.
No mayo on burgers.
No ice in drinks for the most part.
I dislike creamy things and the idea of Alfredo sauce grosses me out.
I dunno I can't even think of all of my food quieks, because I have too many.
I don't like dishes like cassaroles with all sorts of shit baked in a pan either.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #47
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mustard and mayo are two more no-nos on my list. If I get a burger, it has to be dry (no condiments) unless A1 is an option.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #48
saldana
Pro Starter

my sister flat out refuses to eat anything that is the color blue...her logic is that there is no food she has ever seen that is naturally blue...it goes so far that if a cake has blue icing on it, she will scrape the icing off, and she picks the blue m&m's out of the bag and throws them away.

and even though this isnt exactly the same as the theme of the thread, she also does not let each item on her plate touch the other items and lets say she has 3 things on the plate...she will eat the first one entirely before she starts the second...she wont switch back and forth between the items.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
my sister flat out refuses to eat anything that is the color blue...her logic is that there is no food she has ever seen that is naturally blue...it goes so far that if a cake has blue icing on it, she will scrape the icing off, and she picks the blue m&m's out of the bag and throws them away.

Blueberries?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #50
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My wife takes the prize in our house though.
She is absolutely disgusted by mayo ... except on a BLT, where it's a must.

I hate mayo as well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote