Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
whomario
Pro Starter

The 2013 NBA Playoffs

Playoff Seeding (thanks to Korme for compiling it )

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. Miami Heat (66-16)
8. Milwaukee Bucks (38-44)

4. Brooklyn Nets (49-33)
5. Chicago Bulls (45-37)

3. Indiana Pacers (49-32)
6. Atlanta Hawks (44-38)

2. New York Knicks (54-28)
7. Boston Celtics (41-40)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Oklahoma City Thunder (60-22)
8. Houston Rockets (45-37)

4. Los Angeles Clippers (56-26)
5. Memphis Grizzlies (56-26)

3. Denver Nuggets (57-25)
6. Golden State (47-35)

2. San Antonio Spurs (58-24)
7. Los Angeles Lakers (45-37)

Carmelo Anthony (after averaging 37/10 his last 8 games in the RS) off to a quick start with 10 points on 4-4 shooting.

Looking forward to the Denver-Golden State Series, all 4 West Series have great potential (although it´s likely most people will not like both the GS/Den and the Mem/LAC series, considering how vastly different those games will likely be played )
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I have the Nuggets at 40-1 to win the title so I am hoping for a quick Denver sweep. I didn't middle my bet this round.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

David Lee is out for the playoffs...

Twitter / KBergCBS: David Lee tore his right hip ...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Such a disappointment. Dude plays zero defense, but is a good rebounder and can score. Going to be difficult to go anywhere without him.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
whomario
Pro Starter

Paul George is badly exposing the Hawks defense. Has become a really good player, but there´s no excuse to let him get to the rim like that time after time.
Only 2-9 from the field, but 16-16 from the FT line (and not much to argue there imo, he´s literally been at the rim every posession and simply hacked a ton). His previous season high was 12 ... Also has 10 assist due to the Hawks having to send help every time he blows past his man.
(8 boards too, so a TD is looking likely)

On the other end, the Hawks only shoot jumpers and even when they drive, they don´t go past the FT line and rather set up an open long 2 pointer than attack the rim (and are actually hitting them, but without many 3s or FTs ...)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Danny
Head Coach

Indiana is a fun team to root for I imagine. Shame Granger has the injury bug the way he does.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
lungs
Pro Rookie

Bucks in 6
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I remember when the Tigers went 35-5 to start the season. Miami ended at 37-2. That's just ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Kobe / Phil Jackson tweeting regarding Mike D'antoni.

Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson make things awkward for Mike D'Antoni in Game 1 - SBNation.com
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

Milwaukee are particularly poorly equipped to play these Heat.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Yikes. I don't rate D'antoni as a coach and I'm sure Kobe was right in saying what he did about working the freakin' ball inside (didn't watch the game), but this still rates as a very, very uncool thing to broadcast to the twitterverse.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quality win for the Clips last night. It will be very hard for Memphis to take this series now. The all time series record for teams that win the first two games at home is something like 200-12.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Not likely, but losing Lee may be a boom for the Warriors, at least against Denver. Force them to go smaller ad quicker, abuse the fact that Denver defends the three really poorly.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Not likely, but losing Lee may be a boom for the Warriors, at least against Denver. Force them to go smaller ad quicker, abuse the fact that Denver defends the three really poorly.

Lee´s ability to score inside, his passing ability (from postups and even after a drible or 2) were a huge reason the Warriors got open looks from 3 though.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Bogut can do that. He hasn't been the offensive presence since the injury, but he can. And the W's want to break it down to a half court game so the Nuggets can't run.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Bogut can do that. He hasn't been the offensive presence since the injury, but he can. And the W's want to break it down to a half court game so the Nuggets can't run.

What's going to be most interesting is who starts at the 4 spot for them. I think they're better off playing Barnes at the 4 and keep Landry as 6th/7th man.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

So glad I stayed up to watch Clips/Grizz last night. What a finish, hell of a game.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
nol
Banned

Quote:

Hopefully you were able to make some money off that prediction!
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Zero idea what's happened to the Celtics in the 2nd half of the last 2 games, and I don't particularly want to rehash it. I do however want to nail Doc Rivers to the metaphorical cross for playing any lineup with Jordan Crawford and Jason Terry together when Courtney Lee is collecting dust on the bench. It's inexplicable. (I also wouldn't mind Shavlik playing more over Brandon Bass, but Bass actually did ok rebounding tonight, and certainly wasn't the reason they lost.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Hopefully you were able to make some money off that prediction!

Apparently I should have put my money where my mouth is
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

To be fair to David Lee, Warriors shot the ball incredibly well, but I think for this matchup having Barnes playing the 4 spot does not have a lot of disadvantages, especially with Faried still rusty. Barnes is also pretty good at vanishing for 3-4 games in a row after having a decent night though, so let’s see what happens in game 3…
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #22
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
To be fair to David Lee, Warriors shot the ball incredibly well, but I think for this matchup having Barnes playing the 4 spot does not have a lot of disadvantages, especially with Faried still rusty. Barnes is also pretty good at vanishing for 3-4 games in a row after having a decent night though, so let’s see what happens in game 3…

I agree. Shooting 64.5% from the field isn't how I envisioned them winning. There's no way they keep that up. That being said, they've been stronger on the boards in both games, and have played pretty amazing defense as well (Lee being out is actually helping the defense a pretty good amount...he's really that bad). Now they've taken home court and get to play two in a row at home, with a ridiculously raucous crowd behind them. If they can hold home court, the Nuggets are in huge trouble.

That's a very big if...but that's why they play the games.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-24-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

I see no reason why the Warriors couldn't take it out. I always thought it would be the best series of the round, and it's a tough call for me as far as who to cheer for because I like both teams. They both play a fun style of basketball and have a lot of guys on their rosters that I like a bunch, but having big Bogut in the middle puts me in the Warriors camp.

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-24-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #24
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Now they've taken home court and get to play two in a row at home, with a ridiculously raucous crowd behind them.
I remember how awesome watching those 2007? 2008? games were when they upset the Mavs. I just wish game 3 was Thursday or 2 hours earlier on Friday (I know - it'll be a fun distraction at the bars, but you don't get to hear the crowd there.)
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Zero idea what's happened to the Celtics in the 2nd half of the last 2 games, and I don't particularly want to rehash it. I do however want to nail Doc Rivers to the metaphorical cross for playing any lineup with Jordan Crawford and Jason Terry together when Courtney Lee is collecting dust on the bench. It's inexplicable. (I also wouldn't mind Shavlik playing more over Brandon Bass, but Bass actually did ok rebounding tonight, and certainly wasn't the reason they lost.)

They just aren't that skilled offensively. Run into the same problem the Bulls do where they'll have stretches where they just can't find any way to score.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They just aren't that skilled offensively. Run into the same problem the Bulls do where they'll have stretches where they just can't find any way to score.
I know we're not good on offense, but the 1st/2nd half splits are ridiculous

Game 1: 53/25
Game 2: 48/23

Game 1 set a franchise low for points in a half... and we "beat" it in game 2. I actually can't comment on what's going wrong since I was busy coaching my own team that can't space out correctly or finish during game one, and my friend's cable was (thankfully?) going out due to rain for game two's second half, but Jeff Green bullrushing at the hoop or Paul Pierce shooting fadeaways for the whole quarter should result in more points than that. (And the fact we're sucking that much on offense only reinforces my belief that Courtney Lee and AB should be playing every available minute over Terry and Crawford. We can suck at scoring without your horrific attempts at defense.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-24-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In hindsight betting the under in the Denver game was a bad call.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Shocked how the Rockets have hung in this game so far with Lin out.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Close but not enough and there was some home cooking down the stretch until the too late makeup calls.

Well, I'll be at Game 3 in Houston on Saturday night

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-24-2013 at 09:16 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #30
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Lakers would be such a better team without MWP. He's not even an impact defender any more to the naked eye
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

Did the NBA pass a memo that all playoff teams with home alts must wear them in Round 1?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Did the NBA pass a memo that all playoff teams with home alts must wear them in Round 1?

Not all of them. The Spurs just don't want to get their home uniforms dirty until they face some real competition, so they're going with those practice jerseys until then
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #33
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I actually like the two contrasting color in most games. Never been a fan of white jerseys. Seems like every time I look up a team in MLB is doing the same now. Also just wait until next year when the "pride" jerseys come out in the NBA. Some teams, including one in purple tonight will have five different jerseys next year (including Xmas day game jersey)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #34
whomario
Pro Starter

Manu with 2 great games, if he plays that way the Spurs will be tough to beat.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
korme
Go Reds

Westbrook tears miniscus, has surgery, probably will miss the rest of the Playoffs. Really opens up the West. Too bad.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I feel like the Westbrook thing has Ewing Theory written all over it though, I see Durant going into some ridiculous mode we can't even conceive of for a few weeks. But then they'll still lose to Miami.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Westbrook tears miniscus, has surgery, probably will miss the rest of the Playoffs. Really opens up the West. Too bad.

Keep in mind that Metta World Peace tore his meniscus and was back in two weeks or so.

Also makes that physical play by Beverly look a little different IMO. Not as cute as it had been made out to be by some in the media before knowledge of the injury surfaced.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 04-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

really... Watch the nuggets blow my ticket now with Westbrook gone.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #39
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

God I hate the NBA playoff schedule. 3 days off here, 2 days here. I know for tv they don't want to compress the schedules down any but it just wrecks the intrigue for me.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
whomario
Pro Starter

I for one am happy that at least during the playoffs Teams actually get the rest needed to play hard every game.
Not saying they are doing it for that reason, but i´m happy about the side effect at least.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
God I hate the NBA playoff schedule. 3 days off here, 2 days here. I know for tv they don't want to compress the schedules down any but it just wrecks the intrigue for me.

Agreed. I wish it was more like baseball playoffs: pretty much the only days off are travel days.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #42
kingfc22
Head Coach

Oracle is ROCKING tonight. Amazing atmosphere.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #43
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Great to pull out the win, especially after that second quarter. That being said...

...the last two minutes of that game was some of the most atrocious basketball I've ever seen from two teams. Just absolutely terrible on both sides. Denver not fouling, the Warriors shooting (poor shot selection, as well) with tons of time left on the clock, throwing the ball away with the lead and under a minute to play, failing to inbound the ball...jeez. That was a harrowing end of the game that should have been a much more comfortable win. If I'm Mark Jackson, I'm absolutely tearing the team up in the locker room after that end of game performance.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #44
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I for one am happy that at least during the playoffs Teams actually get the rest needed to play hard every game.
Not saying they are doing it for that reason, but i´m happy about the side effect at least.

This. The length of time between is not the problem. Teams averaged approximately 3.4 games a week over the regular season. Most if not all will have played four games in he first week of the playoffs. Smashing together back to backs, three games in four days, four in five (though it would be funny to see if Pop sat his starters in that last game) just hurts the game.

That being said, if we get the first round back to the 3 of 5 format, that would be wonderful.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #45
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

No Kobe, No Title
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #46
heybrad
Norm!!!

Not just No Kobe... No Guards.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #47
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 04-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know if I should be more impressed with Noah with the way he is fighting through the foot injury or less impressed with Brook Lopez's overall game.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
Cuckoo
College Starter

Westbrook had surgery to repair it - definitely out for the playoffs...
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
miami_fan
Coordinator

That is what I get for switching to baseball. Tie game