Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should we delete the cool images thread?
Ja! 18 17.14%
Nein! 68 64.76%
Trout! 19 18.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

POLL: Should we delete the cool images thread?

This might help sway the mods to not delete a popular FOFC thread.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

Delete it! The Reddit FOFC is going to totally take off and be successful anyway.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 04-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I selected Trout! only because I can't read Arabic.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Maybe just move it to its own sub-forum and loosen up the rules a bit so it's not such a distraction/lightning rod/means of losing posters/origin of unnecessary hostility. Assign a dedicated mod (possibly from the group of people that think it's incredibly easy to consistently apply criteria to these things), and let them review every photo for content. They would also be in charge of drafting criteria for posted images, which of course would have to be consistent with any OS.com policies. People who hate the thread or who are getting in trouble at work over it never have to think about it again. Everybody else can check out a FOFC-themed sampling of internet photos there. I imagine as soon as more tasteful hot chick picks are OK, the volume of posted hot chick picks will go down immediately. By trying to keep us all safe, the mods have only made things worse and have really turned that thread into a hot chick thread. If they just backed off things would be fine.

Last edited by molson : 04-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Good idea, I vote we call this new forum the "Off-topic" forum.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

It is the most popular thread by far by views. It has more views than the next 3 threads combined.

I read somewhere that 20 posts have been reported in that thread, or 0.1% of all posts.

But yea, kill it, first make sure it floats.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trout the mods.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I would be in favor of FOFC moving to a subreddit.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

You can delete it but you can't defeat it. You could try to eatin it but that would only sweeten it. The point of the thing is to embrace it, not to erase it, showing nice boobs is gracing it, not defacing it. Raise your voice and rejoice, show the powers that be that it's your choice, there's no better way to stop tyranny than with some artistic hey nanny nanny. Mods are not gods and they shouldn't infringe on our rods. Hell no, pics wont go. Hell no, pics wont go. Hell no, pics wont go. Hell no, pics wont go.

Or just delete it, whatever.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I would be in favor of FOFC moving to a subreddit.

Speak english.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Delete it! The Reddit FOFC is going to totally take off and be successful anyway.

Didn't know that was a thing....I'm now subscriber #8 i think.

Now how do we find jbmagic and Hell Atlantic to get in on that?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Speak english.

hmm. not sure if criticizing poor grammar or commenting on unfamiliarity with subreddit.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
This might help sway the mods to not delete a popular FOFC thread.

you assume they will read this thread
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
finketr
College Prospect

People will lose post!

OMG!

Panic!
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
hmm. not sure if criticizing poor grammar or commenting on unfamiliarity with subreddit.

I don't even know what reddit is, let alone a sub reddit.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
you assume they will read this thread

Now they'll read it.

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't always have better judgment, so I'll post here.

I know it's frustrating when friends get boxed. I don't always agree with Ben. But I think he's done an enormous amount for this community, and not just with his leadership with multi-player leagues.

It's very difficult to run a forum. I've tried it myself, and I suck at it. I even tried here for a short time a long time ago and made a thorough mess of it.

Ben's one of those people who, if you know him, you come to think of him as somewhat superhuman. He touches people's lives with his generosity and with his caring. When he passes, which I hope is not for many decades, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a thousand people at his service.

I am so happy for him that he and his wife have another beautiful daughter to love and teach. The world needs more Lewises.

On a personal note, when things became pretty bad for me, I reached out to Ben and he was there for me. Most people weren't. He listened, even knowing that where I was wasn't a good place for the future of Front Office Football.

So I hope people here continue to give him the benefit of the doubt about what it takes to lead a community. He is a natural leader, and that sometimes means he pisses individuals off. I wish those of you who are momentarily angry with him would see the bigger picture (and you can find nice, big pictures of hot women with large breasts in any number of places).

As for the future of Front Office Football, there will be a new version some day. I don't know when because I'm not the same insane 100-hour-a-week person I was 15 years ago, but I'm getting a lot of good work done these days. I'd like to have a lot of FOFC people ready to vote when it comes time to get Steam involved. And I can't imagine FOFC without Ben here.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

As for the future of Front Office Football, there will be a new version some day. I don't know when because I'm not the same insane 100-hour-a-week person I was 15 years ago, but I'm getting a lot of good work done these days. I'd like to have a lot of FOFC people ready to vote when it comes time to get Steam involved. And I can't imagine FOFC without Ben here.

A new FOF ??? I'd given up hope ! This is good news .

And. I hate Steam.

edit : I hate Steam is vague. I hate that Steam makes me update my games (and then numerous mods if necessary), if I'm perfectly happy with the current version of the game I'm playing. I also don't see any benefit to Steam (as a user).

Last edited by DougW : 04-09-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
A new FOF ??? I'd given up hope ! This is good news .

And. I hate Steam.

Why? I've tried it myself and it seems to be very smooth. And it gets your product in front of a lot of people.

Is there something I should know about it? Is there a good alternative? ViaTech has been very good for me, but the problems with their software on Vista and later turn customers off and there's no marketing aspect.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Why? I've tried it myself and it seems to be very smooth. And it gets your product in front of a lot of people.

Is there something I should know about it? Is there a good alternative? ViaTech has been very good for me, but the problems with their software on Vista and later turn customers off and there's no marketing aspect.

No, there's isn't a good alternative to steam. Getting the game through their Green Light program would be fantastic for marketing as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
DougW
High School Varsity

haha, sorry I was editing in what i knew was about to be asked.

From the user end, it's always just been an extra (unnecessary) step to me. I just want to download a game and play it. I don't want to have to log into Steam download it from them, or log into Steam to play it. Like I said, from the user chair - it does nothing for me. I'm quite capable of downloading an update IF I WANT TO.

But, I can also understand that it is good for a company to be seen - and from that end may earn more money, and in turn make the game better for me in the long run.

edit : My distaste for Steam comes from being forced an update for a game, then having the 30 mods I have for the game crash - and having to spend hours getting it running again... when I was perfectly happy before the update.

Last edited by DougW : 04-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
edit : I hate Steam is vague. I hate that Steam makes me update my games (and then numerous mods if necessary), if I'm perfectly happy with the current version of the game I'm playing. I also don't see any benefit to Steam (as a user).

Why do you have Steam on-line??? Always keep it in off-line mode. When there is an update to your game, then go on-line, let it run and then take back off-line where it belongs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

At this point I don't buy games that aren't on Steam. So I'm all for it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
haha, sorry I was editing in what i knew was about to be asked.

From the user end, it's always just been an extra (unnecessary) step to me. I just want to download a game and play it. I don't want to have to log into Steam download it from them, or log into Steam to play it. Like I said, from the user chair - it does nothing for me. I'm quite capable of downloading an update IF I WANT TO.

But, I can also understand that it is good for a company to be seen - and from that end may earn more money, and in turn make the game better for me in the long run.

edit : My distaste for Steam comes from being forced an update for a game, then having the 30 mods I have for the game crash - and having to spend hours getting it running again... when I was perfectly happy before the update.

Um... No. Steam is the easiest, most user friendly game distribution site there is.

I couldn't disagree more with your statement.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm in the DougW column re: Steam.

I find dealing with it annoying. The convenience of buying via Steam is okay with me, the irritation of dealing with the interminable wait for updates to d'load & install (particularly for the Steam software itself) is more the issue for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Why do you have Steam on-line??? Always keep it in off-line mode. When there is an update to your game, then go on-line, let it run and then take back off-line where it belongs.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have (numerous times) clicked the Go Offline from the Steam menu. It seems to work for a while, but somehow (maybe something stupid I do) it comes on, and I end up downloading stuff I don't want to. Both NBA2k and Skyrim pop Steam up b4 I play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Um... No. Steam is the easiest, most user friendly game distribution site there is.

I couldn't disagree more with your statement.

Except I didn't say that Steam wasn't the easiest, user friendly .... I said I'd rather go to a company and download their product and install it myself.

It isn't any harder to download it from a FOF than it would be to DL it from Steam.

Just my .02. I know alot of folks love Steam, and as I said, i can see the benefit from the company perspective. It just does nothing advantageous from my seat.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

And, (sorry to keep posting) .. My response to that is .. Why should I have to ?

This is exactly what I'm talking about, as far as Steam just adds unnecessary steps to my gaming. I don't want to have to worry about turning Steam on and off to download stuff or whatever. I don't want to have to worry about whether my single player game is set to Offline or not. I don't want to have to worry about getting an update when I don't want it. I just want to simply download the game, and play it when I want.

It's all just extra steps for the user, with no benefit.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just harder to organize, I like having everything under one portal, one click away from download and install.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #29
DougW
High School Varsity

(And, fwiw, after all my Anti-Steam rambliings) ..

If FOF2k13 was on Steam, I'd still for sure buy it. I'd just be mumbling to myself how I hate Steam as it downloads
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
And, (sorry to keep posting) .. My response to that is .. Why should I have to ?

This is exactly what I'm talking about, as far as Steam just adds unnecessary steps to my gaming. I don't want to have to worry about turning Steam on and off to download stuff or whatever. I don't want to have to worry about whether my single player game is set to Offline or not. I don't want to have to worry about getting an update when I don't want it. I just want to simply download the game, and play it when I want.

It's all just extra steps for the user, with no benefit.

I understand but the great benefit is that you control updates to your game, just like back when when we got floppies in the mail or a download link on a gamer's site. In Civ5, for example, you don't want to automatically update if you have a current game in progress. I'm sure other games are like that. Admittedly, I do not believe that the computer/phone/etc. should be doing anything automatically that is not under your control, knowledge and schedule. So while I always love the convenience of downloading games and software online (I was doing it since the mid-1990s), I cannot accept software that runs on your computer needing to have an online connection for anything. So that's why I believe Steam should be offline by default and online when you want to buy/update.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Steam has an option to tell it to not download updates but you have to set it for each game individually. I'd be interested to see what it takes to get a text sim on Steam. It seems that they tried with OOTP 13 but didn't make it. Maybe if we found a way to add zombies to text sims it would be easier to get through lol.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This is one of the best threadjacks ever.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

+1
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #34
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I think FOFC would make a great iPad app. Have you thought of going in that direction? I would love to play fofc on planes, lying in bed, etc..
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

All hail Steam!!!!

Sorry, have become a serious fanboy. It's just so convenient when going to a new laptop to install Steam and then pick what I want to install and play from the list instead of having to worry about finding disks or hoping that I can find my license to a game.

Doug must be assimilated....

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #36
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Steam has an option to tell it to not download updates but you have to set it for each game individually. I'd be interested to see what it takes to get a text sim on Steam. It seems that they tried with OOTP 13 but didn't make it. Maybe if we found a way to add zombies to text sims it would be easier to get through lol.

OOTP didn't make it?

Huh. I'm not sure what I have that OOTP doesn't have. It's bigger, prettier, and much more popular. There might not be any point in trying that route, since it costs a little bit of money and, more importantly, time.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes, yes, dear god yes.... FOF on Steam would ROCK!!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I think FOFC would make a great iPad app. Have you thought of going in that direction? I would love to play fofc on planes, lying in bed, etc..

I have. But since I have not gone the smart phone route myself, even, and have no need for portable mini-computers, it's not native to me.

I think it's a great idea, but a long way down the road if at all.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Steam is fine. I would gladly use whatever distribution mode you choose when a new FOF is out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post

There is at least one text sim on Steam - that woeful World Basketball Manager or whatever it's called. I don't know what Steam's requirements are however. I'm sure it would take time and money to get a game Steam-worthy, but at the same time I would think it may well be worth it given the increased audience. Worst case, I think "Zombie bite" would make a great FBB injury.

As for Steam itself, I don't mind the always-online aspect of it because I'm always online anyway. If there was a game I really wanted to play and it's stuck downloading a 15GB update then yeah, that can be annoying, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #41
RedKingGold
College Starter

Great threadjack, but to answer the original question, yes.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I have. But since I have not gone the smart phone route myself, even, and have no need for portable mini-computers, it's not native to me.

Bummer
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

OOTP has been on Steam before.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17600

At one point Markus said that Steam did not produce enough revenue to make it worth it for him

OOTP 10 available on Steam? - OOTP Developments Forums

I don't visit that community often anymore, so I don't know if the view has changed since then. If you have a relationship with Markus, it might be worth it to get into contact with him and see his current thoughts.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 04-09-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #44
korme
Go Reds

If that link to that thread is OOTP10, the last version tried there? If so he might want to revisit. Steam seems much more popular now than it was 3 years ago.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #45
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I should have been more clear in my post. OOTP was on Steam for V9, which I believe was 2008. Markus' post that I linked was made in April of 2009. And I agree with you, Markus should probably revisit Steam if he hasn't done so already.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #46
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Great threadjack, but to answer the original question, yes.

Agreed. If I would've known this was all it took to get Jim to start communicating again, I would've dethroned Kodos as pollster years ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #47
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Yeah, I should have been more clear in my post. OOTP was on Steam for V9, which I believe was 2008. Markus' post that I linked was made in April of 2009. And I agree with you, Markus should probably revisit Steam if he hasn't done so already.

New game comes out on the 15th so kind of late for this version.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #48
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Just wait until HR releases FBPB3 by posting a screencap of a live download link in the Cool Images thread.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #49
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
OOTP didn't make it?

Huh. I'm not sure what I have that OOTP doesn't have. It's bigger, prettier, and much more popular. There might not be any point in trying that route, since it costs a little bit of money and, more importantly, time.

They put it up on Greenlight in October. No clue how close they got maybe Markus will share if anyone knows him well enough to ask. I've also seen it mentioned that they might go away from Greenlight to a more open distribution. Link: Gamasutra - News - Let's talk about Steam opening up

It all very interesting to me as I really need to move off of VB6. I'd like to open up my job prospects a bit as they are pretty non existent for programming. Access to Steam would help push that move along.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #50
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

very excited to read in this thread (of all places!) that fof is being worked on at all. there havent been many confirmations that ive seen.

that said, jim, please look to the future! smart phones and tablets is the way to go. ignoring them for the next version seems short-sighted

that said, ive bought every fof version made, and will buy the next version on day 1, no questions asked

but id pay MORE to get it on my phone or ipad.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote