Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Anyone use Final Cut Pro X?

Quick background: I submitted a fanedit to fanedit.org that combined the Star Wars prequels into one movie. The idea had been done before, but I thought I had some interesting story ideas that would be fun to try out. The moderators on that site got through a whole 26 minutes of my movie before declaring unwatchable due to all the rough cuts I had. I didn't think it was that bad. Perhaps I am delusional. Anyway...

Are there any other nuanced ways to edit clips together besides the blade tool? That is basically the only tool I used to go from scene to scene. Every once in a while I would do a dissolve or a wipe, but usually those look too cheesy. I am looking for a tool that would allow my movie to go smoothly from scene to scene. I would be forever grateful if somebody had tips on how to do this.

Good thing I didn't quit my day job.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

Use either transitions (when they make sense) or make better cuts or combine the two. Not being harsh, but, one of the biggest mistakes that people make that have little to no experience editing is, not knowing when and where to make the cut or add a transition. Plus, how does everything fit together? Some things just don't, no matter what you do.

I'd like to look at your edit, it would be easier to give you feed back seeing what you have.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 04-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Thanks for the feed back jedikooter! The advice you gave me is already 1000 times better than the people at fanedit.org. They were dismissive and condescending which really shocked me. I don't mind criticism. In fact, I welcome it because that's how to get better, but they didn't give one shred of advice. Not even pointing me to a website.

I'll send you a pm of the movie link. What I have been told by friends is that technically it isn't very sound, but they really liked the changes to the story.

And since I am pretty sure you are somewhat familiar with the story and industry ( ) your opinion and technical advice would be helpful and mean a lot.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
chadritt
High School Varsity

Also chiming in here with one tip. Audio edits are as important as picture edits so they should be as smooth or smoother. Small pops are easy to take care of, 2 frame dissolves work wonders.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Is it possible to do good audio editing in final cut pro or should i get a different program for the mac?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
chadritt
High School Varsity

It should be possible to do good enough audio editing. Im not talking down to the millisecond here but just make it so its not incredibly jarring at the cuts. I dont know how fancy fan edits are supposed to be but i would imagine its fine. FCPX isnt that far removed from a professional level program.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote