Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Interview with Arlie re: Total Pro Football (formerly Football.NET)

http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...233#post285233

ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

So, we can or cannot coach or CALL the plays ourselves? IE. head to head game playing.

EI: Will the user be able to rely on the offensive and defensive coordinators to make the calls as well as calling the plays himself?

AR: The plan is to allow the coach to set the plays in his playbook, but that the coordinators will actually call the physical plays. There will be ways for the coach to impact the types of plays they call in certain situations though.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

My initial worthless opinions

1. Play-calling is vastly overrated but nice to have for the few who does use it

2. TPF can be a game that can appeal to a much audience and interests than the limited scope and inflexibility of FOF. Will that make it a better game though? Maybe, maybe not but it would be a game that will be more interesting and fun, I believe.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #4
Senator

The guys in my career league play Action PC head to head every season. We are looking for a replacement, and I guess this may not be it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 05-02-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The plan for calling plays is to allow your coordinators to physically call them, but that you can create the playbook they have to work with and include %s for running certain plays in certain situations. Make sense?
Old 05-02-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Arles
The plan for calling plays is to allow your coordinators to physically call them, but that you can create the playbook they have to work with and include %s for running certain plays in certain situations. Make sense?

I prefer seeing something like this and spending more time on other parts of the game than playcalling. JMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I prefer seeing something like this and spending more time on other parts of the game than playcalling. JMO.

I prefer it also.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:08 PM   #8
Senator

And that is fine, I was just looking for an alternative to what we have and this won't work. We play the games over the internet against each other. We call the plays against each other. I want to run a sweep, they want to run a line stuff, we call it; then the results come over the PBP. That way we cannot blame our losses on what someone else called. We find it alot of fun, we are a 16 team league in its 11th year.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

There are some very promising thoughts from Arlie on this. I hope this turns out better than I think it will.

If they pull off the ability to make the draft more "dynamic," I will be genuinely impressed. I also hope that events like the combine effect scouting and impressions in some way rather than simply being more eye candy.

One of the more intriguing thoughts is the owner profile. It would definitely be interesting to work for an owner who is stingy with the bonus money and won't let you spend a lot on draft picks. It could actually simulate what it's like to work for Mike Brown of Bill Bidwell. If you like that sort of thing.

Play calling isn't necessarily a big deal. Based on .400's track record for in-game play, we're better of without it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:55 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Looks like theyre using the OOTP engine .Is it gonna be as immersive though?
Old 05-02-2003, 11:11 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

I really like the owner profile thing, and also the combine idea, if they impliment(sp?) it correctly...
Old 05-02-2003, 11:27 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
EI: Will there be trading of picks, and what kind of valuation will the AI have?

AR: Yes, there will be the ability to trade picks and the AI will have a standard algorithm for evaluating the value of each pick. Once the draft begins, those picks may either gain or lose value depending on who is available at that spot.

EI: How many rounds will the draft be, 7 like in the NFL, and/or will be it customizable?

AR: The current plan is to have a 7-round draft. But, we would be open to making it more customizable. We would need to gauge the interest in this and see if it is worth the effort though.

EI: Will the players be accumulating college stats similar to the High School stats for the TDCB recruits?

AR: The plan is to have the draft pool visible from the first game of the season. So, as the season goes on, you will be able to view the progress of college players in their seasons.

EI: Will there be a scouting combine, where players can have their stock rise or fall prior to the draft?

AR: Yes, the combine will be a key part of the draft process, just like in real life.

Sounds quite a bit like WigFL.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:05 PM   #13
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
And that is fine, I was just looking for an alternative to what we have and this won't work. We play the games over the internet against each other. We call the plays against each other. I want to run a sweep, they want to run a line stuff, we call it; then the results come over the PBP. That way we cannot blame our losses on what someone else called. We find it alot of fun, we are a 16 team league in its 11th year.

Senator, I know that calling plays in your football games are important. I believe you "may" have found the replacement you have been looking for. Arlie has cleared some things up about play calling in the game. In the interview he had it didn't sound as if the game would allow us (the user) to call plays but that is not correct. WE WILL be able to call plays. Arlie has released some more info on this. Here is the link:

http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...threadid=33677

Alot of people misunderstood what was going on. This will clear it all up.

Last edited by vulcan : 05-04-2003 at 05:07 PM.
vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #14
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

...oh and by the way, this option can be toggled on & off for those who prefer to not use it....
Old 05-04-2003, 09:39 PM   #15
Crushem54
n00b

Damn vulcan....where the hell have you been I have sent some emails to ya but got no response dude!

I really think this game will be a great one. It will be fully customizable and friendly to 3rd party utilities...which is what we need. Stat tracking will be deeper then even FOF (I hear OOTP depth). Like I said, I really think this will be a great one.......FBpro may be back (in a way).
Crushem54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:49 PM   #16
Senator

This is great news!!

I would not care much, except that playing each other is the whole purpose of our league.

"I can out coach you on the field!" is where we determine if all our trades, and draft choices were correct moves.

In Action PC! we have a list of plays - offense and defense. We do not set up a playbook, everyone has the same plays. The game begins, we are online at the same time. I call my play, my opponent calls theirs, and we are off!

The fact that we can set up a playbook ALL OUR OWN, is just fantastic! That will surely shake things up.

When I am playing solo, its not a big deal to call my own plays. I don't on FOF4. But for the league I am playing in; well that's what its' all about.

We play a game a week during the season, and then spend the next week bragging or whining. Just simming wouldn't cut it.

This is a relief. Thanks vulcan and Arles for clearing this up.

Old 05-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

Vulcan, your game sounds pretty promising...

If you don't mind me asking, what language are you writing it in?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #18
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
Vulcan, your game sounds pretty promising...

If you don't mind me asking, what language are you writing it in?

LoL...Tucker, I could only "wish" I could program a game. I guy by the name of Arlie Rahn is doing it. I believe it is written in visualbasic.net BUT I can not confirm this. Tucker, you should check it out. Here is the link;

http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...?s=&forumid=52

I thin you will find it most exciting. This game is going to be awsome

Later Tucker
Old 05-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #19
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
This is great news!!

I would not care much, except that playing each other is the whole purpose of our league.

"I can out coach you on the field!" is where we determine if all our trades, and draft choices were correct moves.

In Action PC! we have a list of plays - offense and defense. We do not set up a playbook, everyone has the same plays. The game begins, we are online at the same time. I call my play, my opponent calls theirs, and we are off!

The fact that we can set up a playbook ALL OUR OWN, is just fantastic! That will surely shake things up.

When I am playing solo, its not a big deal to call my own plays. I don't on FOF4. But for the league I am playing in; well that's what its' all about.

We play a game a week during the season, and then spend the next week bragging or whining. Just simming wouldn't cut it.

This is a relief. Thanks vulcan and Arles for clearing this up.

No problem man. I was worried too but Arlie quickly...and I mean quickly cleared this up. That in itself is great because it shows that he watches the board and listens to the gamers. Even if we were'nt able to call plays in the game (which we are able to), I would still be impressed by his devotion he is showing.......
Old 05-04-2003, 11:03 PM   #20
sabotai
General Manager

Just a thought (for Senator), it sounds like you play games head to head. Although Arlie has stated that you can call plays in the game, I'm not sure if it will be possible to call plays, head to head, in the game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #21
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Just a thought (for Senator), it sounds like you play games head to head. Although Arlie has stated that you can call plays in the game, I'm not sure if it will be possible to call plays, head to head, in the game.

Elaborate on this. Im alittle lost by what you mean.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Arlie stated that play calling will be in the game. But what I am wondering is if there will be a way for two players to connect over the internet and play a game against each other (which is what it sounds like Senator does)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:13 AM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Crushem54
Damn vulcan....where the hell have you been I have sent some emails to ya but got no response dude!

I really think this game will be a great one. It will be fully customizable and friendly to 3rd party utilities...which is what we need. Stat tracking will be deeper then even FOF (I hear OOTP depth). Like I said, I really think this will be a great one.......FBpro may be back (in a way).

i been thunkin the same thing!

i emailed vulcan like 2 months ago but got no reply.. i thought he was gone forever!

what have you been up to, vulcan?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:10 AM   #24
RawIsDan
High School JV

Quote:
Arlie stated that play calling will be in the game. But what I am wondering is if there will be a way for two players to connect over the internet and play a game against each other (which is what it sounds like Senator does)

I can't phantom them not allowing playcalling in head to head play. From what I've read over there you'll have the option of calling your own plays or turning it over to a offensive/defensive coordinator.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:17 AM   #25
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
i been thunkin the same thing!

i emailed vulcan like 2 months ago but got no reply.. i thought he was gone forever!

what have you been up to, vulcan?

Heya shorty....

Well, I had soem issues with my health for awhile but that has been all cleared. Im 28 yrs old and its funny how life seems so short once you are face to face with something that can kill ya.

That email addy must have been closed that is why I didn't get them (from you to crushem). Those free email services do that (some of them) if you don't use them.....I guess.

I was kinda helping out on another football sim but that game seems to have been stalled as well. So, I started looking around for a sim football game to give ideas to and I founf TPB. Although I am not involved in the procees in any way, at least I am on the forum board giving ideas. 400 software studios really has the people in place to make great sims.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:22 AM   #26
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:

Oh, I understand now. Ya, I think that head to head play calling will be in the game. I can not see why that would be implemented into the single player and not the online leagues. After reading everything on the forums, it sounds very much that it will be somewhat like OOTP in terms of online playing. I wouldn't be concered at all Senator (if you have read this part of the post) because if Arlie had plans for no head to head play calling then he would have mentioned it. He spoke of play calling represneting the 2 sides of play (online and offline).