Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The FOFC Community

So I was wanting to load up City of Heroes a couple of months ago. But I couldn't. That game is dead - it closed down in late 2012. I thought sadly about that. All of the time and effort and now there is nothing but memories.

I have that fear when Ultima Online or the first Guild Wars close down, games that I have put hundreds and hundreds of hours into will disappear into the aether. What will I have gained? In the last year, I have loved and invested heavily into Pokefarm and Marvel Avengers Alliance. Eventually, those will close down too.

And then my melancholy moves to FOFC. I have been here for more than 20000 posts and ten years of my life. I have run countless games, dynasties, and been involved in people;' lives to a way that is so deep and meaningful. I truly do love you. FOFC is more than just a simple message board.

It's irreplaceable.

And yet, some day, I will be unable to continue. Or slowly, member after member leaves and we have left the ghost of what FOFC once was. Or it closes down spontaneously and we do not create another board somewhere.

And all of the time, effort and more than a decade of my life, and all of my things like Alzar, Werewolf, BattleTech, drafts, CK and more will all be gone. Snap of the finger and gone.

Is this our end? To have our works vanish into this depths of cyberspace, never to be known again? To not live past our board?

But I receive solace, because that is what all of us get from this life. Few of us will be known past the lives of our children and grandchildren. How many of the World War II generation are still alive? How many are known? Our living memory is washed away in the tears of time. Our children, who are half us, will become just one quarter, then one eighth, then one sixteenth and soon just a drop of blood will remain. Our accumulated wealth, property, money will be divided up. What was it all worth?

From dust we came, and to dust we return.

All of the games and dynasties and posts come to nothing. But neither is anything else. Everything is insubstantial vapor. All is vanity.

So enjoy the time we have with those we love, which includes each other here on FOFC. That is our reward under the sun.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
So enjoy the time we have with those we love, which includes each other here on FOFC. That is our reward under the sun.

Exactly, live for today.

Time washes away all. It is the ultimate solvent and all things, you, me, our lives and memories, our spot on this Earth, this Earth itself and all of humanity, the sun, the solar system, the galaxy, the universe, all inevitably slips away as time goes by.

Live for now and for making an impact on both your own life and the lives of others.

I used to get sad thinking about that, but then I just accepted it as being what is. We only get one life. Better make the best of it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

As a software developer, this is something that I'm always reminded of. You devote thousands of hours creating something that you know no one will use in 10 years, possibly 2 years, possibly ever.

I've spent 3000+ hours building the software I'm currently working on at work (lead developer on a 1.5 man team) and I know all this effort, creativity, thoughtful design, etc will essentially not exist in a few years.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I loaded up Star Chamber today only to find out that it had been shut down some time ago and is no more. I totally missed the news. That was a bad hit. One of my top 30 games of all time from my dynasty and I can never play it again. Ever.

Wow, I am reeling right now. My heart is pounding and I'm having difficulty breathing.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's scary to think about sometimes, but very true. Great post Abe.

Also, try not to look at your steam profile which shows all the hours played - 820 hours played in just Team Fortress 2? Ye gods.

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-29-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote