Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

2016 Presidential Candidates

So now that we got 2012 out the way, who's on deck?

I'd say the Republicans are easier to identify than the Democrats, as we just went through scouting the talent. Chris Christie is probably at the top of the food chain (pun intended!)

For the Dems, who is in the farm system that might get a call up to the big league? I can't see Joe Biden getting the nod. Hillary Clinton would probably be up if she wouldn't turn 70 less than a year after the election. So what young talent is out there?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

I really hope Pumpy makes a run at it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think John Edwards should get another chance.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

If Hilary Clinton wants the nomination, she gets it. After what Bill did (ps - anyone surprised that Obama didn't have a shoutout to him in his speech?), Obama owes him, and unless Biden has crazy ideas, I expect the Dems to line up behind Hilary, who will be formidable. Other Dems I think are worth watching - Andrew Cuomo (who has 70% approval ratings with Republicans! in NY) and Martin O'Malley.

For the GOP - Marco Rubio is numero uno, followed by the likes of Paul Ryan (GOP history on next in line), Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal et all. Rob Portman excites no one but is probably good.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Chris Christie has no shot in the primary after his Obama praise during the hurricane.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Clinton vs. Jeb Bush
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
If Hilary Clinton wants the nomination, she gets it. After what Bill did (ps - anyone surprised that Obama didn't have a shoutout to him in his speech?), Obama owes him, and unless Biden has crazy ideas, I expect the Dems to line up behind Hilary, who will be formidable. Other Dems I think are worth watching - Andrew Cuomo (who has 70% approval ratings with Republicans! in NY) and Martin O'Malley.

For the GOP - Marco Rubio is numero uno, followed by the likes of Paul Ryan (GOP history on next in line), Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal et all. Rob Portman excites no one but is probably good.

Apparently Obama's first phone call, after the one to Romney, was to Clinton. Aa shout-out to Clinton would have undermined the themes of Obama's victory speech -- unity and nonpartisanship,
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If Hilary wants the nomination, she better tell Mark Penn to stay as far away from her campaign as possible.

Another future star for Dems may be Cory Booker, but I don't think he'll be in position by 2016.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
bronconick
College Starter

Scott Walker if he survives the next election in Wisconsin.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
fortheglory
Mascot

Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio

I think it will be an total unknown on the Democratic ticket
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
fortheglory
Mascot

Chris Christie has no chance...if for any reason because he's fat.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Chris Christie has no shot in the primary after his Obama praise during the hurricane.

You forget how quickly the echo chamber forgives and forgets. If he looks like the best candidate out there in 2016, he'll have the full faith and credit of the Murdoch empire.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Memories are short in politics. I still think he's the best candidate for the GOP going into 2016. One of the few people in politics who you can tell really cares.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tempted to run for congress myself next time, with our immortal Republican representative Judy Biggart being ousted. Vote Rob: I'll fuck you less.

"Hi, I'm your local congressman. Let's face it. We exist to fuck you over for our benefit and/or amusement. Well, I'm here to tell you I'll do it just a littttttle bit less than my opponents. Come November, vote for the one who will fuck you less."

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

I wouldn't discount Elizabeth Warren for the Dems, either.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Scott Walker if he survives the next election in Wisconsin.

Assuming the Democrats don't run a complete zero, I don't see this happening. The recall election was more about voting against the use of the recall than it was an endorsement of Walker. There were plenty of people who voted not to boot Walker, but won't vote to reelect him if they have a decent option.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Memories are short in politics. I still think he's the best candidate for the GOP going into 2016. One of the few people in politics who you can tell really cares.

But if Booker runs for governor Christie could lose and then he would have almost no shot. Lots of things will happen before the 2016 candidates are clear.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Assuming the Democrats don't run a complete zero, I don't see this happening. The recall election was more about voting against the use of the recall than it was an endorsement of Walker. There were plenty of people who voted not to boot Walker, but won't vote to reelect him if they have a decent option.

This.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Condoleeza Rice would be an amazing choice for the GOP. Would put the social issue on the backburner and she can hold her own with just about anyone intellectually.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Rubio/Paul(Rand) vs Clinton/McCaskill
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post

I pretty much agree with this, appearance matters way too much in the popularity contest that are national elections these days. FOFC is a pretty accepting bunch, and even people that like him here can't go more than two or three posts without adding on something they think is funny like "if he doesn't keel over from a heart attack before 2016" or something about eating his opposition. He doesn't have a chance in hell.

Last edited by Radii : 11-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

Any murmurs of what Russ Feingold is up to?

SI

Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Weird VP picks.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I can see the other 3 but how do you figure McCaskill? Wasn't she one "legitimate rape" comment away from losing in a landslide?

SI

Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
RainMaker
General Manager

Isn't the Rubio pick tricky considering there is a part of that party who doesn't think he's constitutionally eligible to be President?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Weird VP picks.

Actual tea party views for Paul. McCaskill just because she's local and seems like a rising star in the Democratic party. (Plus I like both of them, she a Mizzou grad. )
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I pretty much agree with this, appearance matters way too much in the popularity contest that are national elections these days. FOFC is a pretty accepting bunch, and even people that like him here can't go more than two or three posts without adding on something they think is funny like "if he doesn't keel over from a heart attack before 2016" or something about eating his opposition. He doesn't have a chance in hell.

He could spend the next 4 years on some sort of weight loss program and would win the American electorate over in a landslide. "I don't know his views but he lost 200 lbs on Biggest Loser. OMG!!!"
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #28
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Long time away, things change, but still wish Mitch Daniels would reconsider for 2016.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I can see the other 3 but how do you figure McCaskill? Wasn't she one "legitimate rape" comment away from losing in a landslide?

SI

I don't know that Akin was super popular. His views became national with the rape stuff but locally (St. Louis at least) everyone kind of already knew him as a religious right guy.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Not a chance in hell. Her focus on the problems with Wall Street will doom her ability to raise enough money to be a serious candidate. She'll be a darling to the Left and a significant voice, but she's not nearly centrist enough to be a valid national candidate.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #31
chesapeake
College Starter

Currently, Hillary Clinton means it when she says she doesn't want to run in 2016. Certainly, that could change.

A lot of Dem insiders like MD Governor Martin O'Malley. His speech at the convention was less than hoped for, but so was Bill Clinton's big address to the '88 DNC.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheglory View Post

I think that his enormety doesn't help, but it probably doesn't hurt as much as you might think. Look across this land. There's a lot of fat fucks that if you go after him too hard might put the Diet Coke down for two seconds and notice he looks like a slimmer version of themselves.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Any murmurs of what Russ Feingold is up to?

SI

I haven't heard much about him lately. There was talk about trying to get him to run against Walker in the recall election, but he didn't seem to have any interest. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the had interest in the Presidential race in 2016. He has a very strong following in Wisconsin and lost his Senate race in 2010 partly due to Wisconsin's desire to "clean house" that year. If he were to run again for Senate, he would have a very good shot of winning. Having him on the big ticket in 2016 would almost guarantee that Wisconsin would stay Blue.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the fat thing is overblown. He would probably need to lose some and would, but it's also part of his charm. It hasn't held him back from getting elected in New Jersey either.

It feels to me like a lot of these rules we setup years ago about who is and isn't electable are being thrown out the door.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It's too far off to guess. But I think both Clinton and Biden will be too old to be viable candidates in the general election. And I say this as someone who likes both of them.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

She'd have to become a MUCH better campaigner to have a reasonable shot. She walked and talked herself into trouble a lot in this campaign. In a more competitive state, I'm not sure she would have won.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Currently, Hillary Clinton means it when she says she doesn't want to run in 2016. Certainly, that could change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Long time away, things change, but still wish Mitch Daniels would reconsider for 2016.

There's lots of time to flip flop between now and 2016 for all candidates

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
A lot of Dem insiders like MD Governor Martin O'Malley. His speech at the convention was less than hoped for, but so was Bill Clinton's big address to the '88 DNC.

I don't get the O'Malley love. I've seen him a couple of times and doesn't seem to be all that charismatic. I looked up some articles yesterday looking up 2016 folks and his name was mentioned a lot. But the only thing I could gather is that he really wants to run for President but there doesn't seem to be a reason why anyone would actually vote for him running for President.

SI

Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Isn't the Rubio pick tricky considering there is a part of that party who doesn't think he's constitutionally eligible to be President?

Is he from Kenya, too?

(I kid, I kid)

SI

Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
RainMaker
General Manager

When he was floated as a VP, there were a bunch of blogs/sites going apeshit because he didn't meet their definition of "naturalized citizen".
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #41
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Howard Dean, back again?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd put a spin on the Christie thing. I'd agree with some of the comment above that he's unelectable at his current weight. Nothing looks more out of control than an overweight person.

With that said, there are few things that would be more attractive than a candidate who admits his failings and does something about it. If he focused over the next couple of years on dropping 100-150 pounds, he'd be a VERY good candidate. Losing weight is hard work and he'd prove that he is up for any challenge by doing something like that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Howard Dean, back again?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #44
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Apparently Obama's first phone call, after the one to Romney, was to Clinton. Aa shout-out to Clinton would have undermined the themes of Obama's victory speech -- unity and nonpartisanship,

Good to know, thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #45
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Not a chance in hell. Her focus on the problems with Wall Street will doom her ability to raise enough money to be a serious candidate. She'll be a darling to the Left and a significant voice, but she's not nearly centrist enough to be a valid national candidate.

Raised $30M+. She's a Dem fundraising star - more than any other Senator. I don't think she'll be the candidate (she's horribly inarticulate), but fundraising won't be the reason.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #46
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rand Paul will definitely run in 2016-and hopefully someone will roll out the by then old news reports of him and his SuperPac supporting Todd Akin after his "legitimate rape" comments.

Hilary Clinton will be interesting-there has been talk here and there that she will resign as Secretary of State-If she does I think it will be to rest up for 2016. And its pretty much game over Republicans in 2016 if she does run depending on how much the country/world has changed in the next four years.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #47
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Both sides have very depleted benches right now. I'm sure some leftovers from 2012 on the GOP side will jump in like Bachmann and Santorum. I'm sure a Paul will run. Those folks have no chance.

Christie will be the hot pick. GOP anger at him will subside, and he's done nothing but build his moderate credentials. By all accounts Jeb is the best and brightest of the Bushes, but I think we may be Bushed out. Paul Ryan did nothing to lose the election, but I've seen nothing from him that makes me think he's presidential material. He's a charismatic Tim Pawlenty.

Mitch Daniels and Rob Portman will be another GOP fave, but I have doubts. Bobby Jindal and Marco Rubio will get buzz.

I think a lot of Democratic governors will toss their hat in the ring. Joke in Missouri that Jay Nixon's primary campaign starts today. Lot of people will want Andrew Cuomo. Martin O'Malley and Brian Schweitzer are being mentioned too. John Hickenlooper is interesting. For Democrats who want to capitalize on their Latino success, Julian Castro and Antonio Villaraigosa have fans, but I think they should target governor offices before presidential runs.

I'd have a hard time making a case for a 69-year-old Hillary or Biden in 2016. Obama has done the same thing for the Democrats that Bush did for the GOP -- no natural successor to the presidency.

Hard to believe Michael Bloomberg will be 74 in 2016 or now would be the time.

If I had to bet right now, it would be Cuomo vs. Christie. Which guarantees it won't be either one.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #48
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd put a spin on the Christie thing. I'd agree with some of the comment above that he's unelectable at his current weight. Nothing looks more out of control than an overweight person.

With that said, there are few things that would be more attractive than a candidate who admits his failings and does something about it. If he focused over the next couple of years on dropping 100-150 pounds, he'd be a VERY good candidate. Losing weight is hard work and he'd prove that he is up for any challenge by doing something like that.
I'm a big guy myself, but I joked this morning that Chris Christie was good lap-band procedure away from being the GOP frontrunner. Aside from the fact that it's hard to look good on TV and in public as a big guy, I think the campaign would be too grueling for him.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How old will Chelsea be in 2016? Think maybe she runs for Senate in two years, then president in four (ala Bobby Kennedy)?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'm a big guy myself, but I joked this morning that Chris Christie was good lap-band procedure away from being the GOP frontrunner. Aside from the fact that it's hard to look good on TV and in public as a big guy, I think the campaign would be too grueling for him.

When he was touring with Obama a week ago, it was obvious that he was getting really tired and doing quite a bit of open-mouth breathing. That's not a presidential look. That may pass in Jersey, but it won't fly when you're running for the most powerful office in the land.