Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

travelling to europe

so i have never been to europe before, so i am pretty excited about the fact that my company is sending me to Kiev and Cardiff for 3 days each next month,

i am also a little bit worried about being in Ukraine, the state department website doesnt really paint a pretty picture for how they treat foreigners, so i was wondering if any FOFCers have any experience with Kiev...any suggestions about things i need to take with me, things to avoid/be aware of, etc?

Wales i am not so worried about, as i will be visiting my companies sister facility, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Just don't play a game of "Risk" on public transportation and you should be fine.

http://youtu.be/fzLtF_PxbYw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd be very curious what you find out when there. We've been considering going to Kiev as well as Moscow and St Petersburg next year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just don't play a game of "Risk" on public transportation and you should be fine.

http://youtu.be/fzLtF_PxbYw

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd be more worried about Cardiff if you're out on the streets late on a saturday night

More seriously I'm afraid I don't know much about Ukraine - there are a few tips for visitors here though - Ukraine Travel Guide. Useful Tips for Foreigners.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'd be more worried about Cardiff if you're out on the streets late on a saturday night

Yeah, and if you see a blue police box, run the other way

SI

Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I have not been to Ukraine so I cannot comment. And I don't mean to thread-jack but...

sterlingice, I have been to Russia 5 times. St Petersburgh is a really nice city and is tourist friendly (for Russia). I would go back again and I would recommend it to anyone. I describe it as a European city that happens to be in Russia. The rest of Russia is COMPLETELY different.

Moscow is 'eh'. Red Square and the Kremlin are interesting and pretty. There isn't a lot else. The Metro is incredible but is intimidating at first. Bring fist-fulls of money. A coffee will run you $8.00 US. A western hotel room? $500/night and up. I paid $1000 for one night once. After the Olympics in 2006, I saw the sweatshirts the Russian team wore at the opening ceremony. $250.

Been as far east as Siberia.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Again, I have not been to Ukraine so this a complete assumption based on what I know of Russia: Don't even THINK about driving.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In Cardiff, be on the look out for Torchwood.

In Kiev, my understanding is that you could arrange a meeting with some wonderful potential brides at various online web sites.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

My usual source for places I don't really know much about, is Wikitravel - has places to see, etc as well as general advice for what to do and what not to do. You can check the same site for Cardiff as well if you want.

Kiev travel guide - Wikitravel
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

excellent...thanks all (i will make sure not to take my "pocket risk")
Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
I have not been to Ukraine so I cannot comment. And I don't mean to thread-jack but...

sterlingice, I have been to Russia 5 times. St Petersburgh is a really nice city and is tourist friendly (for Russia). I would go back again and I would recommend it to anyone. I describe it as a European city that happens to be in Russia. The rest of Russia is COMPLETELY different.

Moscow is 'eh'. Red Square and the Kremlin are interesting and pretty. There isn't a lot else. The Metro is incredible but is intimidating at first. Bring fist-fulls of money. A coffee will run you $8.00 US. A western hotel room? $500/night and up. I paid $1000 for one night once. After the Olympics in 2006, I saw the sweatshirts the Russian team wore at the opening ceremony. $250.

Been as far east as Siberia.

Thanks for the tips and I'm trying not to threadjack too much.

It's still in the exploratory phases and I've been lining up the airline miles and hotel points to pay for the trip over the past couple of years. Familiar with the exorbitant costs of Moscow. From all I've read, it's like a slightly amped up NYC for prices.

But, again, still in the feeling out phases for the trip as I need some things at work to settle.

SI

Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
saldana
Pro Starter

SI, threadjack all you want, my next trip will likely be to Moscow, so any info on there is more than welcome
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Don't act like a typical tourist. Don't fall asleep in the metro or train, unless you have no issue with being lighter by a wallet or watch or other stuff. Pubs are fun but if you hit on someone expect a possible confrontation with some drunk lunkhead. Learn some Ukrainian before going.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
bob
College Starter

I'm jealous - on my business trip next week, my company is sending me to Hagerstown, Maryland. It seems to be in the middle of freaking nowhere. Should be wildly exciting.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
saldana
Pro Starter

has anyone ever taken a flight on either Aeroflot or KLM?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
has anyone ever taken a flight on either Aeroflot or KLM?
KLM is a normal, western, international airline. The equivalent of a Delta/United/etc.

The Aeroflot experience is all over the place. The international flights tend to be better than the domestic flights but the international flights range from the equivalent of a Delta/United/etc to god-awful. It just depends on your luck. I flew from JFK to Moscow one time and the flight attendants were surly and unhelpful. The plane was full of hard-drinking Russians and one puked 3 rows behind me. The flight attendants would not clean it up. We got one cup of beverage for the entire 11 hr (?) flight. The in-flight movie was broken and the bathrooms had no toilet paper. But I have been on good flights, too. Just luck.

The domestic experience is generally less than international. The international flights tend to be on western, modern aircraft. The domestic flights are on older, soviet aircraft. Overhead compartments are VERY small. Nothing larger than a woman's handbag. More things (seats/overhead compartments/window shades/etc) tend to be broken. One flight had cargo-netting instead of normal overhead bins. If you are flying domestic, pack light. Baggage weight limits are low and overweight fees are high. And they check. Aeroflot seems to be on the higher end of quality for the domestic airlines.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Within Russia, travel by train. Check.

SI

Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
KLM is a normal, western, international airline. The equivalent of a Delta/United/etc.

The Aeroflot experience is all over the place. The international flights tend to be better than the domestic flights but the international flights range from the equivalent of a Delta/United/etc to god-awful. It just depends on your luck. I flew from JFK to Moscow one time and the flight attendants were surly and unhelpful. The plane was full of hard-drinking Russians and one puked 3 rows behind me. The flight attendants would not clean it up. We got one cup of beverage for the entire 11 hr (?) flight. The in-flight movie was broken and the bathrooms had no toilet paper. But I have been on good flights, too. Just luck.

The domestic experience is generally less than international. The international flights tend to be on western, modern aircraft. The domestic flights are on older, soviet aircraft. Overhead compartments are VERY small. Nothing larger than a woman's handbag. More things (seats/overhead compartments/window shades/etc) tend to be broken. One flight had cargo-netting instead of normal overhead bins. If you are flying domestic, pack light. Baggage weight limits are low and overweight fees are high. And they check. Aeroflot seems to be on the higher end of quality for the domestic airlines.

great...i have Aeroflot from JFK to Moscow, and then Moscow to Kiev...should be an interesting crap shoot, lol
Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was looking at an oddball nonstop flight from Houston to Moscow on Singapore Air (wtf?)

SI

Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was looking at an oddball nonstop flight from Houston to Moscow on Singapore Air (wtf?)

SI

Do it. Singapore Air is great.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-19-2012 at 09:37 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
great...i have Aeroflot from JFK to Moscow, and then Moscow to Kiev...should be an interesting crap shoot, lol

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Aeroflop, eh? Bring your life preserver.......

Fly Lufthansa and for the love of all that is good and holy do not fly United....I had nothing but trouble the last three times on United.

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 09-19-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Heh... It looks like Аэрофлот has retired it's Tupolev fleet. The 'older, soviet aircraft' I referred to above was often this plane:
Tupolev Tu-154 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Looks like it's almost entirely (modern) Airbus now.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh... It looks like Аэрофлот has retired it's Tupolev fleet. The 'older, soviet aircraft' I referred to above was often this plane:

I think they kinda had to after that crash that killed the Russian hockey team last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #26
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

the flight to moscow is an airbus 330-300 andthe one from there to kiev is an airbus A321
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Always liked the Tu-104 but it was a fuel hog
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Moved here:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=85104

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Day trip out to Chernobyl and do one of the newfangled tours there?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I'm thinking of splitting my own thing out into its own thread so it's not too much threadcrapping

EDIT: done and done

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2012 at 11:04 PM.