Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
JediKooter
Coordinator

Possible Trip to Rio in February

So, I've been invited to go on a trip to Rio during Carnival next year. Never been there. Heck, never been south of the equator.

Has anyone been there and if so, what recommendations can you think of?

Things I already know:
1. Crime is relatively high there
2. That might not really be a woman
3. Stay away from the favelas

Things I'd like to know:
1. Safe places to stay
2. Said place, can expect my belongings to still be there after being out for awhile?
3. Where NOT to go
4. Any touristy scams to be wary of (scamming taxi drivers, fake tours, etc...)
5. Any places that are a must see

The group will be my best friend and I think a couple of his friends that I'm friends with through him. So, it's really going to be a party trip is what it sounds like.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So, I've been invited to go on a trip to Rio during Carnival next year. Never been there. Heck, never been south of the equator.

Has anyone been there and if so, what recommendations can you think of?

Things I already know:
1. Crime is relatively high there
2. That might not really be a woman
3. Stay away from the favelas

Things I'd like to know:
1. Safe places to stay
2. Said place, can expect my belongings to still be there after being out for awhile?
3. Where NOT to go

The group will be my best friend and I think a couple of his friends that I'm friends with through him. So, it's really going to be a party trip is what it sounds like.

I'll ask my sister - she went a couple years back.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I should put you in touch with my friend Ruben (you might see him posting borderline SFW things on my FB every now and again). He spent 8 of the last 12ish months there and is going back in November for another 6 months.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'll ask my sister - she went a couple years back.

Excellent. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I should put you in touch with my friend Ruben (you might see him posting borderline SFW things on my FB every now and again). He spent 8 of the last 12ish months there and is going back in November for another 6 months.

/tk

Oh awesome! He should have a pretty good idea of things then for sure.

Thank you DT & TK

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watch City of God
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

And if you really get stuck, Blame It On Rio.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Dude...the things I did to this girl I met there a couple years ago...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
21C
College Prospect

I went there earlier this year and spent about a week in Rio. It has become a much safer place due to the soccer World Cup coming in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016.

I felt safe moving around the city during the day. To me it was no different than any other major city. You obviously avoid the favelas on your own and you watch your personal belongings like you would in most places that you are not familiar with.

I stayed for most of my time in Flamenco Beach (quieter) but also had a couple of days in Copacabana (more touristy). You can't go wrong with either place. Most of the action will center on Copacabana for Carnaval - and obviously more of the potential problems.

Definitely check out Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer statue). There are more sights and descriptions at Rio de Janeiro - Wikitravel which also has a section on Staying Safe and tourist scams.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Be sure to dance on the sand.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Fluzao
n00b

I've lived in Rio for a year, so I'll try to help. If you got any more questions feel free to ask!

Quote:
Things I'd like to know:
1. Safe places to stay

Crime happens everywhere in Rio. The favelas are in some ways safer than most middle/higher class neighbourhoods. The police have also occupied quite a large number of favelas in the city, that has decreased the violence and thefts in the surrounding areas atleast a bit.

But the southern part of Rio (Zona Sul) is the part to stay in. Mostly for pure logistical reasons.

Lots of hotels there, from very expensive to old semi derelict ones. Whatever standard you like basically. There are quite a few different neighbourhoods that make up Zona Sul, but you should aim for:

Leblon - Basically anywhere in this neighbourhood is good. The only dodgy place is a ex-favela (now comunal housing) behind Shopping Leblon (good shopping) but I doubt there's any hotels nearby.

Ipanema - Almost the same as Leblon. The eastern part of the neighbourhood (on the border to Copacabana) has a pretty big favela complex though. I'd avoid any hotels that are directly on one of the entrances to the favela.

Copacabana - This is an "older" neighbourhood than Ipanema or Leblon. Lots more small apartments and giant apartment blocks. Way more favelas also. Usually very heavily policed on the beach though. Especially during Carnaval. I'd avoid any hotel on Avenida Nossa Senhora da Copacabana, the traffic is quite relentless at times. I'd also avoid the area around Rua Djalma Ulrich. Its close to a favela and there used to be a big nightclub (actually it was the center of prostitution for tourists) that attracted quite a bit of robberies.

Other neighbourhoods that can be good, but are a bit more distant:
Botafogo, Flamengo, Jardim Botanico, Gavea, Urca.

I'd avoid Barra da Tijuca. Its a nice place to live, but a long way away for tourists. Unless you don't mind paying lots for taxis.

Quote:

In the Hotels? Yes, as much as you can in any other hotel in the world.

Quote:
3. Where NOT to go

I'd avoid entering favelas without a guide, as you probably wont know if there's a war between the various drug factions going on or if the police is about to make a raid.

Don't walk in tunnels. Even if it looks like a short walk. Take the buss or a cab. Especially the eastern tunnel between Copacabana and Botafogo.

I'd avoid the city center after 19:00. Unless you got a guide or can speak portuguese.

Quote:

Taxi drivers will obviously take a long ride around if you're going anywhere a bit distant. Taxis are not that expensive though, so it doesnt matter much.

They still do have this thing where girls put knockout pills in your drinks I think.

Quote:

Corcovado obviously.

Pao de Acucar.

Santa Teresa is a nice neighbourhood on a mountain side. Full of artist and events. Could be a bit dodgy at night. During the day its no problem though.

Lapa is the place for bohemian bars and nightclubs. Its VERY full during Carnaval, but its a fun place to hangout. Take the buss or taxi there though, as there's a big park on the entrance usually full with transvestites and robbers.

Parque da Tijuca. Its a big park/preserved forest. You can take tours and hike to the peaks. Brilliant views of all the city.

And lots lots more.
Fluzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watch City of God

Which one? There's two. One came out in 2011 and the other in 2002. I'm assuming it's the one from 2002 since the one that came out in 2011 is a Bollywood film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
And if you really get stuck, Blame It On Rio.

I should dress like Michael Cain when I go down there. Maybe I'll run into a hot Demi Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Dude...the things I did to this girl I met there a couple years ago...

If this isn't a quote from a movie...spill it mister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
I went there earlier this year and spent about a week in Rio. It has become a much safer place due to the soccer World Cup coming in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016.

I felt safe moving around the city during the day. To me it was no different than any other major city. You obviously avoid the favelas on your own and you watch your personal belongings like you would in most places that you are not familiar with.

I stayed for most of my time in Flamenco Beach (quieter) but also had a couple of days in Copacabana (more touristy). You can't go wrong with either place. Most of the action will center on Copacabana for Carnaval - and obviously more of the potential problems.

Definitely check out Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer statue). There are more sights and descriptions at Rio de Janeiro - Wikitravel which also has a section on Staying Safe and tourist scams.

Thanks 21C! I also need to get a sense of what the rest of the group expects to do as well, so that will help narrow things down. Definitely staying away from the favelas. I have no business being there anyway and I'm not going there on a humanitarian expedition.

I would imagine for Carnaval is much like Mardi Gras, but, crazier and with hotter women. I do want to check out Copacabana and Ipanema, just for the history of those two places. Ok, will definitely check out the wikitravel site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia

Ok, I tried, but, I can't figure out the reference here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluzao
I've lived in Rio for a year, so I'll try to help. If you got any more questions feel free to ask!

Crime happens everywhere in Rio. The favelas are in some ways safer than most middle/higher class neighbourhoods. The police have also occupied quite a large number of favelas in the city, that has decreased the violence and thefts in the surrounding areas atleast a bit.

That is really interesting about the favelas. I'm sure being a pasty white guy though, I'd pretty much stick out like a sore thumb and just being a stranger is probably not a good mixture.

Quote:
But the southern part of Rio (Zona Sul) is the part to stay in. Mostly for pure logistical reasons.

Lots of hotels there, from very expensive to old semi derelict ones. Whatever standard you like basically. There are quite a few different neighbourhoods that make up Zona Sul, but you should aim for:

Leblon - Basically anywhere in this neighbourhood is good. The only dodgy place is a ex-favela (now comunal housing) behind Shopping Leblon (good shopping) but I doubt there's any hotels nearby.

Ipanema - Almost the same as Leblon. The eastern part of the neighbourhood (on the border to Copacabana) has a pretty big favela complex though. I'd avoid any hotels that are directly on one of the entrances to the favela.

Copacabana - This is an "older" neighbourhood than Ipanema or Leblon. Lots more small apartments and giant apartment blocks. Way more favelas also. Usually very heavily policed on the beach though. Especially during Carnaval. I'd avoid any hotel on Avenida Nossa Senhora da Copacabana, the traffic is quite relentless at times. I'd also avoid the area around Rua Djalma Ulrich. Its close to a favela and there used to be a big nightclub (actually it was the center of prostitution for tourists) that attracted quite a bit of robberies.

Other neighbourhoods that can be good, but are a bit more distant:
Botafogo, Flamengo, Jardim Botanico, Gavea, Urca.

I'd avoid Barra da Tijuca. Its a nice place to live, but a long way away for tourists. Unless you don't mind paying lots for taxis.

Sounds like Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana are the places to stay. If it's the friends that I'm thinking of, then I know they'll want the night life to probably be as close to possible.

Quote:

In the Hotels? Yes, as much as you can in any other hotel in the world.

Ok cool. That is very good to know.

Quote:
3. Where NOT to go

I'd avoid entering favelas without a guide, as you probably wont know if there's a war between the various drug factions going on or if the police is about to make a raid.

Don't walk in tunnels. Even if it looks like a short walk. Take the buss or a cab. Especially the eastern tunnel between Copacabana and Botafogo.

I'd avoid the city center after 19:00. Unless you got a guide or can speak portuguese.

Definitely have no plans or desires to visit a favela unless for some reason I make a wrong turn and need to get out of there. What's the deal with tunnels? Pinch point for robbers? And what happens in the city center after 1900?

Quote:

Taxi drivers will obviously take a long ride around if you're going anywhere a bit distant. Taxis are not that expensive though, so it doesnt matter much.

They still do have this thing where girls put knockout pills in your drinks I think.

Ok cool. As long as they aren't too expensive I won't worry about it too much then. These knockout pills, do you wake up the next day missing a kidney?

Quote:

Corcovado obviously.

Pao de Acucar.

Santa Teresa is a nice neighbourhood on a mountain side. Full of artist and events. Could be a bit dodgy at night. During the day its no problem though.

Lapa is the place for bohemian bars and nightclubs. Its VERY full during Carnaval, but its a fun place to hangout. Take the buss or taxi there though, as there's a big park on the entrance usually full with transvestites and robbers.

Parque da Tijuca. Its a big park/preserved forest. You can take tours and hike to the peaks. Brilliant views of all the city.

And lots lots more.

Sounds like there's a ton of places to see there. Probably pretty difficult to try and see most things in about a week I'm guessing. Are these transvestites also robbers? I think the big thing the guys I'm going with is going to be where do the women hang out and how receptive are they to Americans there?

Lots of great info Fluzao! I really appreciate it big time (and everyone else), it is really helpful. I'm sure as I find out more information and what exactly everyone wants to do, I'll have some more questions.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Is February when your baby smiles at you?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

I'm fat, not pregnant.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

Look out for aggressive monkeys. They look cute, but they'll claw your eyes out and then eat them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Look out for aggressive monkeys. They look cute, but they'll claw your eyes out and then eat them.

I'm usually not a sucker for monkeys unless they are dressed up in cowboy outfits. So as long as that doesn't happen, I should be ok.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

I saw a documentary about Rio recently and it turns out that the girls there have gone wild. So be on the lookout for that.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I saw a documentary about Rio recently and it turns out that the girls there have gone wild. So be on the lookout for that.

Wild as in feral or wild as in, 'lets party!!'? Oh and were they really women that were born as women? Not trying to discriminate against any transvestites, but, they are not my type. Eddie Murphy's maybe, but not Jedikooter's.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Bad-example
College Starter

I'm not sure I'd like to go to Rio. I'm not the kind of person with a passion or persuasion for dancin', or romancin'.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Definitely not a dancer myself. I've only got one good knee left and I'm saving that for later.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
bionicgrov
n00b

I was in Rio about a month and a half ago for work.

First of all, go to Corcovado. Easily the most awe inspiring man made structure I have ever seen.

Second, drink caiprinha's. They are amazing. Or if you drink beer, drink Bohemia. The local beer that is only sold in Brazil.

Third, the airport is a dump. Well, most of the buildings look like they could use a good scrubbing.

Fourth, have a lot of fun!! The place was awesome!!
bionicgrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicgrov View Post
I was in Rio about a month and a half ago for work.

First of all, go to Corcovado. Easily the most awe inspiring man made structure I have ever seen.

Second, drink caiprinha's. They are amazing. Or if you drink beer, drink Bohemia. The local beer that is only sold in Brazil.

Third, the airport is a dump. Well, most of the buildings look like they could use a good scrubbing.

Fourth, have a lot of fun!! The place was awesome!!

Excellent bionicgrov! I definitely drink beer, so that is going on my list. As long as they don't lose my luggage, I'm cool. Fun is at the top of the list for sure. Any scouting reports on the women there?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

A couple of explanations that I believe went above most heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Quote:

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicgrov View Post
Second, drink caiprinha's. They are amazing.

A very tasty drink indeed.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
Fluzao
n00b

Quote:
That is really interesting about the favelas. I'm sure being a pasty white guy though, I'd pretty much stick out like a sore thumb and just being a stranger is probably not a good mixture.

You'll always stand out as a tourist, even if you're black or latino. Your clothes and the way you walk/talk will give it away.

Favelas are usually controlled by:

One of the drug factions.
They need the favela to be "quiet" to attract customers for their drug business. Any sort of crime inside the favela is punished, unless the faction is in on it.

The milita (Actually there are more than one milita faction)
The milita is mostly made up of active or former police officers, firemen and penal officers. They take the favelas from the drug factions and "tax" the population for protection. Crime and drug use inside these favelas are prohibited.

Police
Lots of favelas have been occupied by the police for the upcoming World Cup and Olympics.

The problem in the favelas occur when there's a war for control. Then stray bullets fly all over the place.

If you want to visit a favela thats safe, there's one in Botafogo thats pretty touristy and occupied by the police. Its called Santa Marta. They even have a new build trolley that rides up the mountainside.

Quote:
Definitely have no plans or desires to visit a favela unless for some reason I make a wrong turn and need to get out of there. What's the deal with tunnels? Pinch point for robbers? And what happens in the city center after 1900?

Yes. Robbers use the tunnels as "ambush spots".

The city center is just business and government buildings. After working hours the streets can become deserted. Quite a few robberies there.

Quote:
Ok cool. As long as they aren't too expensive I won't worry about it too much then. These knockout pills, do you wake up the next day missing a kidney?

Haha, most likely just your money, computer and phone.

Quote:
Sounds like there's a ton of places to see there. Probably pretty difficult to try and see most things in about a week I'm guessing. Are these transvestites also robbers? I think the big thing the guys I'm going with is going to be where do the women hang out and how receptive are they to Americans there?

Yeah, transvestites and normal prostitutes are of course not to be trusted at all and their presence usually attracts criminals who prey on their customers.

Brazilians are generally quite open to foreigners, but there's somewhat a stigma for girls from the middle and upper class to hang out with tourists as they could be perceived as prostitutes. But you'll have no problem finding women to hang out with. Especially during Carnaval. Go to Lapa and you'll find tons of fun people to hang out and drink with!
Fluzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My old manager at Starbucks has been married twice, to two different Brazillian women (one of whom at least, was fairly well-off). He claims that Brazillian women LOVE pasty-pale white guys.

Probably tongue-in-cheek, but amusing still.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Based on my buddies who have gone there, they also love dark Indian guys.

I think they just love to get down. God bless.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
JediKooter
Coordinator

So I had this nice response post all typed up and just about done when Firefox decided to crap out. Anyway...

MGB: Duran Duran, I probably would have eventually got that one. However, the Pablo Cruise one, not in a million years.

Fluzao: Sounds like good advice! I think I'll just admire the favelas from afar though. Looked up Lapa and I will be putting that on my list of places to go for sure.

DT & Logan: All I have to say is this:

4354.jpg

Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
finketr
College Prospect

JediKooter:

Just so you are aware you need to have a visa in your passport to travel to brazil. Cai parinha's are indeed awesome as is a shot called pingha (spelling is atrocious).
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
JediKooter:

Just so you are aware you need to have a visa in your passport to travel to brazil. Cai parinha's are indeed awesome as is a shot called pingha (spelling is atrocious).

Ah ok. Well, I don't even have my tickets yet, so can't quite do the Visa yet. Thank you for mentioning that or I would have been totally clueless and probably SOL.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Ah ok. Well, I don't even have my tickets yet, so can't quite do the Visa yet. Thank you for mentioning that or I would have been totally clueless and probably SOL.

It's my favorite page in my current passport...and the only separate visa I have.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
It's my favorite page in my current passport...and the only separate visa I have.

Oh realllllyyy? Do tell...if you can.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
finketr
College Prospect

lots of stamps for singapore, europe, and Peru.. just the fact they took up 2 whole pages in my passport and now i need extra pages... though the state department recommended just renewing my passport since it's only valid for 4 more years.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #33
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

My recollection from Ruben is that the Visa process takes a LOOOONG time so I'd get going on it. He had to go for work and work ended up getting him the wrong type, so his trip for on-site customer support was delayed a good bit.

Side note related to favorite visas: I love my Ruissian one. It is my only one that's a dedicated page. And I love seeing my name in the Russian (Cyrillic?) writing.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

I have visas for Russia and Spain.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
My recollection from Ruben is that the Visa process takes a LOOOONG time so I'd get going on it. He had to go for work and work ended up getting him the wrong type, so his trip for on-site customer support was delayed a good bit.

Side note related to favorite visas: I love my Ruissian one. It is my only one that's a dedicated page. And I love seeing my name in the Russian (Cyrillic?) writing.

/tk

Cyrillic it is, TK. well done. Yes, i had to get a business travel visa and my employer had to do all sets of invitations stuff, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

I found this cd in storage about a month after this post and it has been getting a lot of play ever since. Serendipity rules.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

Try not to stab any futbol players while you're there. Fans may not take kindly to that, it seems.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

Or, maybe you will get a bump in your street cred above the normal 0 that tourists have.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote