Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
JeffNights
College Prospect

Brad Banks not drafted

I was shocked, the guy finishes second in the heisman, and doesnt even ger drafted.....an ex qb Drew henson gets drafted in the sixth, but yet the Runner-up in the Heisman trophy voting...hmmm makes a lot of sense...

this is just ridiculous on how much teams base thier picks on size, so what if he's ONLY 5'11???

HELLO? GAME FILM ANYONE???

JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Well, maybe Spurrier will make something of him.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah that surprised me too. I thought they generally changed the rules as far as height when a QB was mobile. I think he definately has a better chance in the league than someone like dorsey. Im glad he didnt get drafted though because he makes for a nice UDFA signing by my skins
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
tucker342
Pro Starter

it really pissed me off. At least now he will get a chance to go where he wants to
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
it really pissed me off. At least now he will get a chance to go where he wants to

FYI he signed with the Redskins. He'll have to beat out their 7th round pick to make the regular roster. Otherwise it looks like practice squad for him.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
FYI he signed with the Redskins. He'll have to beat out their 7th round pick to make the regular roster. Otherwise it looks like practice squad for him.

Hey... don't underestimate him... Redskins #2 QB is Rob Johnson.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Not sure why there is this degree of surprise. I'm the other way, I'm shocked anyone bothered taking Wallace.

I think there were more questions about Banks than his size. There were questions about his accuracy which he never answered in his workouts.

Size, clearly did play a part. He's closer to 5'10" than 6'. Face it, there aren't many successful QB's under that mark. Flutie was 5'10, but never led a high powered offensive machine in the NFL. He also had accuracy issues throughout his career.

I'm cheering for the kid, but am not surprised or upset he didn't get drafted. He'll get his chance.

TroyF

PS: Remember, there was game film on Eric Zeir as well

Last edited by TroyF : 04-28-2003 at 07:19 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:25 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

What does finishing second for the Heisman have to do with it? Charlie Ward won the heisman and he wasn't drafted.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

hey Primy if memory servers me correctly I think he already said he was going to play basketball.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by detroit_fan
hey Primy if memory servers me correctly I think he already said he was going to play basketball.

I didn't remember that, but that might have been the case.

Even so it just doesn't shock me all that much. Gino Torretta won the heisman in 92 and was just a handful of picks away from being undrafted. He went in the very late 7th round. Flutie won the Heisman in 84 and was drafted in the 11th round.

Eric Crouch wouldn't have been drafted as a QB etc etc. And these are guys that won the heisman not finished runner up. I guess my point is a guy like Brad Banks has the body and skills that are built for college football. He doesn't look like he would make much of a pro qb to me so it doesn't shock me he wasn't drafted.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:45 AM   #11
oykib
College Starter

What I don't get is why teams don't use a seventh rounder on guys with insane success in college. Even if they don't have the pro body type, you have to figure that at least a few of them would be able to translate some of that success to the pros.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:11 AM   #12
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
What I don't get is why teams don't use a seventh rounder on guys with insane success in college. Even if they don't have the pro body type, you have to figure that at least a few of them would be able to translate some of that success to the pros.

I totally agree. I wasnt really suprised about Banks though. Guesser not being drafted was the bigger shock. Although my Titans picked him up so it turned out alright in the end.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is there really all that much difference between being drafted in late round seven, and being signed by a team within the day or two right after the draft? I live near enough to Washington, and have heard the talk radio nitwits blather on about how stupid it was that the Redskins took some (very) unknown QB with their 7th round pick instead of Brad Banks. At this moment, Brad Banks has already been signed by the Redskins, since nobody took him in the draft.

What's the big deal? They have both guys!

Same thing here, to some degree. What wouudl really be different if Tennessee had used their 6th or 7th round pick on Jason Gesser. No news story, I guess... but other than that, not much. The undrafted guy has a different kind of leverage, I suppose, but that's really nibbling around the edges.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:26 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

I figure Banks is lucky he didn't get drafted. Going to play for Spurrier will give him his best chance to actually make a team and get playing time.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
Bishop
Mascot

Atleast this way he'll get to start... week one will be Ramsey, week two will be Johnson and by week three he'll be starting... if not by the second quarter of week two....
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

Just read an article in the Washington Post that said the Redskins were the only team to contact Banks after the draft. That's quite surprising, I figured quite a few teams would want to bring him in and take a close look. *shurg*
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:03 PM   #17
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im happy that the 49ers got Dorsey ....gives him a chance to prove the critics wrong .
Old 04-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #18
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Question . . . did Banks and Wallace both fell because of their heights? Or were there something else [like, the inaccuracies that Troy mentioned]?

. . . . .

Ward went to basketball when it was fairly apparent he had approximately zero chance of being drafted or ever being given a chance. I really thought he had a chance to be a good QB in the appropriate scheme [lots of shotguns and rollouts].
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #19
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Oh yeah, and I think Dorsey will make some people look incredibly stupid eventually. This whole business with arm strength every year seems insane.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:37 PM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

Weak arm strength isn't necessarily a total crutch... heck, Brad Johnson has what is considered a weak arm, and he's done alright... in contrast, a strong arm is no guarantee of success in the NFL, either (see: George, Jeff; Leaf, Ryan)

Basically, the personnel guys for NFL teams have their jobs on the line with every pick, and they have to play the percentages... there are more successful tall, cannon-armed QB's than not... and that's what they're going to invest in. It's really nothing personal.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:49 PM   #21
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

brad johnson has a marginal arm for a pro QB. Dorsey has a weak arm for a college QB. Big difference. I will agree with you that arm strength is overrated. I laugh when people get all worked up about how strong an arm someone like George has and they completely overlook how completely inadeqaute he is in all other ways as a QB. Still in what i have seen of dorsey he has only thrown wobbly floaters. You dont need a cannon arm to have succes but you need more than hes got.

BTW - My predictions for cannon armed busts this year: Chris Simms and Kyle Boller. I guess with where simms was drafted he cant really be cinsidered a bust if he doesnt become a good QB but Boller will flop. I dont understand how scout get so worked up in these workouts and forget that boller never played all that well when he was only faced with collgiate competition.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #22
oykib
College Starter

Actually, the scouts in that organiztion liked Leftwich. hey took Boller because Billick pushed it through.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #23
Bishop
Mascot

Supposedly Dorsey put on some weight and was throwing the ball a little bit harder when he did his last work out for about 6 teams thus why San Fran drafted him....
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:26 PM   #24
tucker342
Pro Starter

Simms is going to be a very crappy pro, no doubt about that.

Height was a big factor for Banks... I don't know about Wallace.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 PM   #25
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I hate Texas and can't stand Simms, but I think he'll do well. He'll finally get good coaching.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:56 AM   #26
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I think Dorsey will be a good pro, but I think with The Niners going vertical, his arm strenght will hurt him
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #27
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

[quote]Originally posted by daedalus
[b]Question . . . did Banks and Wallace both fell because of their heights? Or were there something else [like, the inaccuracies that Troy mentioned]?

The knock on wallace was he has no field vision. Does not isolate the safeties on his reads, does not find his passing lanes, which is crutial given his size. Also he locks on to his number one receiver.

Banks-Misses alot of open receivers, can not throw to spots which is all NFL QB's do and he is not very good at reading defenses. Lastly he does not lead receivers very well, receivers must consistantly break stride to catch passes.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:27 AM   #28
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceberg
I dont understand how scout get so worked up in these workouts and forget that boller never played all that well when he was only faced with collgiate competition.

He may have been facing collegiate competition, but until this past season he had a high-school caliber offensive line. Let's just say that he and David Carr probably coulda formed a mutual appreciation society.

Somehow, I don't think the Ravens' offensive line is going to be quite that, well...offensive. Dunno if he'll start this year or not; if he does, I'd say his success is gonna be contingent upon how sure-handed his receivers are. Rams '99 they ain't, but I'd put money on the Ravens having a respectable offense this year if Boller starts.

Josh
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote