Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quitting Smoking

I've been smoking a pack a day for the past five years.

As a birthday resolution on my 30th, I went cold turkey last Sunday.

Currently on day 2 and struggling mightily.

Can someone please say that things are going to get better?

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 06-05-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Things are going to get better.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

It'll take about a week or two for the cravings to really start to lessen significantly if my own experiences are any indication.

I got through the first few days by reading smoking-related cancer horror stories online.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Things are going to get better.

Thank you.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It'll take about a week or two for the cravings to really start to lessen significantly if my own experiences are any indication.

I got through the first few days by reading smoking-related cancer horror stories online.

That's not a bad idea.

I've already gone through 40 sticks of gum today. It's not good.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've never read it, but Im thinking about giving it a shot for my next attempt. I'm not one for self-help books, either, but I've read enough praise about this book to probably give it a shot.

Amazon.com: The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Non-Smokers Using Allen Carr's Easyway Method (9781402718618): Allen Carr: Books

But keep trucking, man. I quit twice for a few months at a time. It's a good feeling when you do and you realize how much your life revolved around smoking when you are finally free.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 06-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm still working on it. Cut my nicotine intake by 65% a day so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

I really believe this is a mind over matter issue. I quit smoking cold turkey on January 17, 2007. I wanted to quit and was determined to quit.

Whenever you run into a craving, just remind yourself this is what you want. You want to live a healthier life.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

DOLA,

You can do it.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

My mom just recently quit after 40 years. If she can do it, anybody can do it. Just have to think about doing it one day at a time. Don't focus on the long time but focus on the short time. You can do one day each day until you just don't need it anymore.

The other thing would be to make sure you're doing something. Don't just sit around doing nothing. Otherwise, your mind will wander to it constantly.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

Those commercials where people are talking out of holes in their throats and other sick stuff like that are mighty effective at making me not want to smoke.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

Things will get better, but I hate to say it...even after 25 years, I still want a cig sometimes.

It doesn't work for everyone, but there was one thing that worked for me. I just absolutely refused, under any circumstances, to buy another pack of cigarettes. I just wouldn't do it. I could bum off of anyone for as long as I wanted, but I couldn't purchase another pack. And I stuck to that. So my cigarette intake got more and more sporadic - it all depended on if anyone was around with one and would give me one - and that kind of broke my pattern of smoking when I first got up, right after dinner, etc.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

It takes 3 days to break the physical nicotine addiction so you are almost there. The harder part for me was the psychological addiction and just the pattern of smoking. What I actually did was go to a tobacco shop that had nicotine free herbal cigs and I bought 2 packs or so of those. They taste kinda crappy and are made out of dandelions or something but it was something. That way when I just could not take it anymore and had to have something to smoke I could smoke those and not restart the physical side of the addiction. After about a week I dropped those as well and that was about 5 years ago. I basically never think about smoking anymore now and the smell has actually gotten gross to me as well as the price.

Last edited by -apoc- : 06-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Neither my wife or I are smokers (I'm addicted to cola), but evidently Chantix is so successful her company actually pays the cost of prescriptions for anyone who is trying to quit.

Bot whatever path you choose, I hope you're able to kick the habit.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just look at a picture of your kid every time you want to have a smoke. You can continue to smoke or you can see your kid graduate college, get married, and meet your grand kids.

Choice is yours.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I never smoked, but I have friends who did. When they wanted to quit what they did was take the money they would have used to buy cigarettes and put it in a jar. IT put it into perspective to them how much they were spending.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You can do it Neon!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Is this the official Quitting Smoking thread? If it is, I'd like to participate. I refrained from buying a pack this morning. I usually smoke 3-4 cigs a day, nowhere near the pack-a-day camp. But an addiction is an addiction, and I hope to put a stop to it starting right now.

Those commercials and advertisement posters at the metro station are pretty effective.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Is this the official Quitting Smoking thread? If it is, I'd like to participate. I refrained from buying a pack this morning. I usually smoke 3-4 cigs a day, nowhere near the pack-a-day camp. But an addiction is an addiction, and I hope to put a stop to it starting right now.

Those commercials and advertisement posters at the metro station are pretty effective.

Stay strong ABC!!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
britrock88
Pro Starter

You can do it.
Get a stress ball to keep your hands busy.

I can also post a great desktop BG, but I don't know how to resize it to less than a million by a million.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just look at a picture of your kid every time you want to have a smoke. You can continue to smoke or you can see your kid graduate college, get married, and meet your grand kids.

Choice is yours.

That's a strong message.

Good luck Neon & others ! Is a tough thing to do.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'll attach a shrunken version of it for a preview, and leave the link below.

http://static.star.me/service/ashow/...sDesktopBG.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdsDesktopBG (1).jpg (234.1 KB, 74 views)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have tried to quit several times. Unfortunately I have not yet been successful. Things that seems to help me include sunflower seeds and Pretzel Rods. I really hope that you are able to kick it Neon. I plan on attempting it again very soon.

I tried Chantix, but it really made me depressed, so I stopped using that. I am apparently not alone, as the FAA has banned pilots and air traffic controllers from using the drug.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Drink a lot of beer.

No wait, wrong addiction...sorry.

Play lots of video games that require two hands at all times.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
MikaV84
n00b

Not trying to be an asshole by any means, but it may sound like it, but here it goes anyway:

Just fucking quit. No fanfare, no parade, no crazy tricks, no nicotine gum, no books, dvd's, videos, nothing.

Just. Fucking. Do. It.

Here's the thing. You have full control of your hands, mouth and lungs. Dont buy them, dont light em up, and dont inhale em.

It really is that fucking simple. People make it to be this grandiose event that needs months of preparation and a shitload of effort - and those people never seem to quit smoking, mind you - when in reality, it's the simplest goddamned thing on this planet. Just dont smoke. Thats. It. You'll feel shitty for a while, sure, but thats life. Your bound to feel shitty time to time.

And yeah, after 7 years of pack-a-day, i quit. I have a friend who wholeheartedly agrees with my method, two packs a day for almost ten - quit. A third one, who actually was the catalyst to our quitting, ten years, pack and a half a day. It's been, shit, i guess over 6 years for me, 4 for my friend and almost 7 for the first guy. None of us did anything more than... Just. Stopped. Smoking. It was and is the simplest, easiest thing in the world - if you wanna quit.

If you dont wanna quit, and think that some fancy trick's gonna fix you, it's not gonna happen. Enjoy that smoke, until you have the desire to do it, and when you do...

Just. Stop.
MikaV84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

“It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times.” - Mark Twain
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote