Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
FOFC's Sub-superpowers thread

Lets face it.

Many of us here are gifted in a variety of ways across many different fields. Some here are scholarly, some brawny, some just complete freaks of nature.

Alas, we dont have gifts like the ability to fly, go back in time, or x-ray vision. Those rare and glorious superpowers are hard to come by and are reserved for immortals and comic book heroes. However, we do have unique traits and uncommon gifts that dont go unnoticed. While they may not be quite as glamorous and flashy as whats in the movies, they're real and undeniable.

This is the thread where we claim our Sub-superpowers! (SSP)

They are limitless really. It could be something work related or not. Could involve interactions with other people or animals or neither. Whether its mechanical, physical, psychological or completely something else - the only stipulation is that it has some sort of benefit and its rare that say only 1-5% of the population at most would be able to say the same thing. Ive found that most people have one really good SSP, but some of us have 2-3 lesser ones.

Heres mine:

Temperature insensitive. Im pretty much good from about 55-90 degrees. Pants, shorts, whatevers. Anything outside of that range is something that I notice but its no big deal. Living in the south at this time of year I checked the thermostat in the house and it was 86 and that was after 6pm. Not even breaking a sweat. On the other end of the scale if its below 60 then I will find some socks to put on. Sleeping in any of that temp range is a non issue.

B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

I'm always right. Or I think I am.

So I have Super-Self-Delusion Power!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have the ability to talk jittery squirrels down from trees.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i assume everything is pr.

i'm super cynical-man!
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I used to be able to give nicknames that stuck.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My GF subscribes to the theory that every one of us has at least one superpower like this.

She thinks my superpower is the ability to function effectively for long periods of time on little to no sleep.

While it is true, I remain rather effective, it doesn't feel very good to be up that long.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Bad-example
College Starter

I lost my power in this world
'cause I did not use it.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I lost my power in this world
'cause I did not use it.

That's a bad example.

I have the ability to see an actor that you don't remember their name in something and tell you something else they were in that you probably don't remember.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
That's a bad example.

Well, I do have the power to go insane
like I always do
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

When I'm training or helping anyone with any type of electrical device or computer and they tell me it doesn't work, I walk over to where they are and it magically starts working without me doing anything. It's a running joke in training classes.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I can tell within 30 seconds if a guy is a douche bag or not.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I have feline empathy

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

I trust everybody....until they fuck me over.....twice.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

I can almost always recognize celebrity (even obscure ones) voices in ads or if they are in animated shows.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

What a quirky thread.

I have two to speak of. One is the amazing ability to BS any situation. My wife will specifically have me handle people because of this ability. I've written letters for colleagues because they want to make sure they got their point across. I'm the only teacher in the building who likes talking to angry parents because I'll attack them with big words until they give up and go home.

My second is my internal clock. This is really more of a curse. I will wake up within 10 minutes of an alarm at least 90% of the time (only if I'm sick or extremely tired will I miss it). My wife will change the alarm on me without telling me....doesn't matter. I'll still wake up within 10 minutes of it. It still surprises me that I can do this. I would have thought I'd lose it when I work overseas. Nope, I do it there too.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I trust everybody....until they fuck me over.....twice.

I've been meaning to write you. I am a prince in my country but civil unrest has forced me to leave. I have 20 million dollars which I would gladly split with you but I need to find a way to get it into the country. If I can transfer that to your bank we will be able to make this work....

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I have the super ability to pick up the absolute most annoying sound and fixate on it. If you are in the front row of the theater snapping gum and I'm up in the last row, I'll hear you.

I also have the ability to rub my squeaky eye and gross people out. (I asked a doctor what caused it and he just looked at me and said "Please don't do that")
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I also have the ability to rub my squeaky eye and gross people out.

I've never heard someone call it that, but to each his own. Careful, you can get arrested doing that in public.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I've been meaning to write you. I am a prince in my country but civil unrest has forced me to leave. I have 20 million dollars which I would gladly split with you but I need to find a way to get it into the country. If I can transfer that to your bank we will be able to make this work....

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #20
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I also have the ability to rub my squeaky eye and gross people out. (I asked a doctor what caused it and he just looked at me and said "Please don't do that")

I almost forgot...

If I hold my nose I can blow air out of my tear ducts. If I do it around women they squirm even more than they do with me just being withing 10 ft of them. Found this ability when I sneezed once & had a giant snot bubble blow up in front of my eye.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

My second is my internal clock. This is really more of a curse. I will wake up within 10 minutes of an alarm at least 90% of the time (only if I'm sick or extremely tired will I miss it). My wife will change the alarm on me without telling me....doesn't matter. I'll still wake up within 10 minutes of it. It still surprises me that I can do this. I would have thought I'd lose it when I work overseas. Nope, I do it there too.

I have that one too. You must have also spent time as Rooster Man's sidekick, Hatchling.

I can also figure out out the even splitting of a group check with amazing accuracy, without need of a calculator.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Before someone calls or texts me I usually think of the person. I actually was able to show this to some people this semester much to their surprise.

I am also pretty good at reading people, but I owe that to a book I read on human tells.

Last edited by Noop : 05-27-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #23
Autumn
Head Coach

My power is to absorb the powers of those around me. Ha ha, suckers.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
My power is to absorb the powers of those around me. Ha ha, suckers.

My power is that I fail at everything I do. Have fun with that one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #25
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
My power is that I fail at everything I do. Have fun with that one.

Well then, I've failed at acquiring your superpower, which means I don't fail at everything, which means I've acquired your superpower, which means ... oh damn.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

2 super powers:
1) The ability to predict what song will play on the radio just by thinking about it

2) Know all the lyrics to some songs and sing the wrong lyrics to the rest.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
2 super powers:
1) The ability to predict what song will play on the radio just by thinking about it

I'm able to predict what the next song on my pc/mp3 player, with what seems like well beyond normal accuracy. I've wondered if that was a result of the subconscious 'decoding' the (not-so) random algorithm that drives those things, over time.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Been thinking about this for awhile and I can only think of

1) Ability to make friends anywhere...It helps in the field I am in, Sales. I am able to talk and relate to anyone in almost any situation and make it work to my advantage.

2) Being blunt without fear. It's been a handy trait to have in the business world. Ability to call people out, or point things out and even say I screwed up without worry. I have called out C level executives, my bosses other employees and point out the screwups and tell people no. In my entire time, I have had 1 c level executive look at me and say, tell us how you really feel. I looked at her and said, I thought I just did and smiled. We both laughed, the issues I pointed out were fixed and we moved on.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
revrew
Team Chaplain

I find lost contact lenses.

You know, when people are all standing around looking at the ground, holding their arms out so no one walks near ... I just bend down and point to the thing.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #30
revrew
Team Chaplain

Oh, I also had a superhero nickname in college: Mr. Fertility.

Ha! If they only knew how well that one has stuck.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #31
Comey
College Starter

Hmmm...two things, I guess:

1) I can hold a camera really steady at a concert...for a long time. I've gotten *quite* good at that.
2) I've never been lost. Ever. Three cross-country trips, forty states...never once.

One bonus one...I'm really good at making people think about my joke, or say, "What?" before laughing. It's a blessing and a curse; the latter usually happens on an only date.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm an animal magnet - we have cats, dogs, pigs, goats - you name it if its within an acre of me and I stand around for more than a minute its close to me, if I sit down its on top of me asking for attention .....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote