Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Havok
College Starter

Jirov vs Toney fight.....

If anyone is gonna watch it tonight keep me updated. Im a huge boxing nut but i dont have cable right now cause im moving in 3 days

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Will try to keep ya updated!

Antonio Tarver just won by decison over Griffin. He won every round on all cards.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Jirov took the 1st round. Threw lots of combinations. Toney landed two hard punches that didnt seem to affect Jirov. Jirov was much more active. 10-9 Jirov

Jirov takes round 2 with more combinations again. A slew of body shots by both fighters. Jirov had Toney in the corner for almost 30 seconds. Toney is starting to look annoyed(whats new) with Jirov's combinations. 20-18 Jirov

Low blow to start the round by Jirov. It was VERY low. No point deduction this time. Toney took about 1 minute to recover. Jirov continues to throw combinations. Toney is relying on a jab and right hoook/cross this round. Toney's best round so far. Jirov MAY have swelling above an eye. Toney takes the round, close though. 29-28 Jirov *edit* Harold Lederman has it 29-28 Toney, with Toney winning the 1st.

Slowest round thus far. Jirov looks a little cautious. Toney is playing to the crowd a little bit, winking and nodding his head after he is hit. Toney only threw one good punch in the round, with a few seconds left. Jirov probably wins the round by being more active. 39-37 Jirov by my card, Lederman has it 38-38.

Jirov takes some hard shots mid round 5. His face is definitely swelling. Still Jirov is quite active. 7-8 connections for Jirov, 7-8 for Toney. Jirov's nose is bleeding slightly. Jirov's body shots back Toney up. Toney wins because of the hard shots in the middle of the round, snapped Jirov's head back 3 times in a row. 48-47 Jirov by my card. Lederman has it 48-47 Toney.

Toney opens with a few hard shots. The stance he uses is forcing Jirov to hit Toney's shoulder over and over. Toney continues to taunt Jirov. Jirov continues to intitate the fight(as their styles would dictate). Very good round! Toney in the corner again for 30-40 seconds. "Not an easy fight to score" HBO announcers say. Jirov slight edge this round. VERY close rounds in a very close fight. 58-56 Jirov by my card, 57-57 on Ledermans.

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 04-26-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:07 PM   #4
Havok
College Starter

thanx for the updates!!!!!! keep them coming
Old 04-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Havok
College Starter

go Toney!!!

gotta pull for the american
Old 04-26-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

New post for the 2nd half of the fight

Toney continues to fight out of a corner. His stamina appears to be waning. Speaking of waning, Jirov is throwing punches with little behind them, or so it appears. His conditioning is also in question. Jirov absorbs head shots, Toney body shots. Jirov again with a small edge(if only this fight happened a few years back). 68-65 on my card.

Low blow to start the round, Toney is back to fighting within 30 seconds. Jirov loses a point for the low blows. Jirov's face will look like a watermelon tomorrow, Toney wont be able to get out of bed, yet both keep swinging. Jirov had a good round, aside from the low blow. 77-74 Jirov. 9 point round for both, Lederman has it 76-75 Jirov.

Toney slips early in the round, no knockdown. The fight stays in the center of the ring for awhile, two tired warriors, keeping with their strategies. Jirov puts Toney against the ropes for the last minute or so. Neither fighter seems willing to give an inch. Rarely does a fighter absorb 3 body shots to throw a good head shot, Toney is doing it every round. Quality fight. Jirov takes the round again by activity. Toney needs to put some pop behind his shots soon. 87-83 Jirov.

Toney appeared to hurt Jirov for a second. Jirov quickly regained his legs. Toney lands the best power combination of the fight, middle of the ring, halfway through the round. Runs out of stamina, stops throwing. Jirov is simply leaning in at this point. 15 seconds of no activity. Jirov starts to fight back some. Toney has taken the round, Jirov is standing by sheer will(and a helluva chin). Toney takes the round. 96-93 on my card.

Both fighters have something left. The break helped Jirov, his legs are ok now. Toney continues to throw at Jirovs head, with a little pop in it. Jirov continues to throw but there isnt anything left. Toney almost went down, body shot it appeared stunned him. Jirov takes the round. Great round! I hope there is a 2nd fight here, they both deserve it. 106-102 Jirov. Toneys corner tells him that he has to put Jirov on his ass.

Last edited by bosshogg23 : 04-26-2003 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #7
Havok
College Starter

i agree.... a 32 year old Toney would rip Jirov to peices.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:35 PM   #8
Havok
College Starter

come on toney!!!! finish him!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Lederman had it 105-103 Jirov coming into the round. "Fight of the Year" Lampley says coming into the 12th. Both fighters stun each other within seconds. The 12th round is a slugfest. Jirov is badly hurt. 1 minute left. Jirov was standing on LITERALLY one leg and one point. You can hear Toneys corner yelling HE IS HURT. Jirov goes down!!! Gets up on 8. Round over, 10-8 Toney. I have Jirov winning 114-112 over Toney. Lederman has it even 113-113.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #10
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Great, great fight. Something the divison hasnt seen in a long long time. The score cards will be interesting. I wont be suprised as long as its close.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #11
Havok
College Starter

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I MISSED THIS FIGHT!!!! GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:43 PM   #12
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Toney wins, 117-109, 116-110, 117-109. WOW!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:43 PM   #13
Havok
College Starter

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 10:43 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Vernon Forrest, Lou Duva loudly complaining at ringside, they had Jirov winning. Lampley seems to think Jirov won.

The 12th round was the best round of the year.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
Havok
College Starter

Thanx for the updates Bosshogg. I gotta make sure and watch the replay.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:45 PM   #16
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Toney jokingly tells Chris Byrd he will take him right now. Toney says he will definitely give Jirov a rematch, "no doubt" as he says. I hope so, VERY close fight.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #17
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

No prob!

Hope you get to see it, I know its being replayed tomorrow morning and probably on the PPV card next week.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #18
Havok
College Starter

hmmm i dont think Toney wants to see Byrd, Chris is a defensive genius. He;d be the Crusierwieght champian if he wanted to.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #19
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I agree totally. Toney isnt the fighter he used to be and Byrd is the best pure boxer I have seen in awhile. I think Byrd beats Jones but that is another debate
Old 04-26-2003, 10:57 PM   #20
Havok
College Starter

If only Byrd was 3 inchs taller and 15 pounds heavier

He'd be the best Heavywieght since Tyson in 1988.

I respect Byrd for staying in the Heavywieght divison but he would just drop down to Crusierwieght he would be a STUD!!!

but i hope Byrd and Roy fight before Jones retires. That will be one hell of a fight. But of course R.J. would win
Old 04-27-2003, 12:26 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

I saw this fight. It was great. I actually yelled at the TV in the 12 th round. "Finish him! Come on, knock him down!" And then he did.

It was one of those fights were most o fthe rounds were close, but apparently in the judges eyes, Toney just came away with the rounds.

I had Toney winning the fight 115-111. I thought he won 7 rounds to 5 (115-113) and with the 2 point deductions (1 for low blow, one for getting knocked on his ass) it comes out to 115-111.

A couple of things I saw.

Jirov THREW a lot of punches and combinations, but he wasn't LANDING them. According to the compubox stats, Jirov threw over 1000 punchs, but only landed around 250, while Toney threw around 800 and landed about 380. The numbers were somewhere around there. The percentages I do remember, Jirov landed 24%, Toney landed 47%.

Jirov held a lot. Twice he did it bad and apparently the ref did not see it. When you look at the replay (I forget which rounds) but twice Jirov grabed Toneys arm while they were not against the ropes, and punched him while pushing him against the ropes. He did it, and tried to, repeatedly through the fight, but there were two occasions where it was really bad and he should have been penalized for it. So when I saw him do this, I made a mental note ("The only reason Jirov landed those was because he was holding and hitting, so I won't count those" type of thing which may be why I had Toney winning while others had Jirov winning).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote