Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My Experience with co-owning a Racehorse - RL Dynasty

His name is GoldandSilver, a 3 year old, whose grandfather is Seattle Slew. Some friends and I purchased him as a yearling. He will not run for the triple crown. But, he will run. Details coming up, but the video below is from his race last night at Sam Houston in Houston.

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
chesapeake
College Starter

It comes out a little fuzzy on my screen, but that sure looks like an incredible stretch run from your horse.

What's the full pedigree?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Senator

http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/F...year=&breeder=
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Senator

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I only understand about half of that but it's still awesome. Nice race.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Keep us posted, interesting stuff.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Don't see many 4x4 crosses to POKER. Despite thin dam line, the bloodlines look okay here, and I'm a total mark for Silver Charm.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome Senator, the wife and I have often thought about joining in with some friends to buy a horse. Looking forward to this, big time!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Senator

This experience really began in October of 2009. No, that is not correct. It really began in my childhood. While I struggled to find common ground with my father, one thing we always could discuss without much disagreement was horse racing. I knew my father loved it, and so I began to love it as well. We spent every vacation of my life in one place. Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Here, when he was young and I was younger, he purchased 2 lots and began building his dream cabin getaway.

Every summer for two weeks, we would drive a pickup loaded with lumber and head west, to the mountains of New Mexico. There were five of us in my family. Besides my father, mother, there was myself and younger sister and brother. Because I was the oldest, I was the prime free labor force.
The first week consisted of hauling the lumber up the side of the mountain. Sheet by sheet, board by board. Looking back, I don’t know how I did it 10 hours a day at 6,7,8,9 years old. And I don’t remember much of the drudgery. But, my mom does. She used to cry for me, but I tell her I am the better man for it. But, on Saturday, we would head to Ruidoso Downs and watch the races.

We received the Quarter horse magazine, and I had, for reasons I don’t even know, in the middle of the night before leaving for the trip, copied all the unraced two year old speed indexes into a spiral notebook. Our uncle and his family met us at the track, and when he and my father were going over betting strategies, I mentioned, while looking at my spiral, that one of the horses in the upcoming race had the fastest speed index of any of the others listed. I can still remember the face of my uncle. It was like an alien landed in the chair next to him. How could this tow headed, useless kid know that? It was the first time I remember seeing real pride in my father’s eyes, and I remember feeling like the king of the world. The horse lost, but I was onto something. This was my avenue into their world, so I studied harder.

Last edited by Senator : 03-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Senator

As the years went by, and I grew older and left for school, I made sure I was home or on the phone with my father during the Triple Crown races. It was a tradition we always held, no matter the situation. It was our common bond, and it always felt good to talk to him about his picks.

So, I go back to the start of this thread. October 22, 2009 I was headed to coach football practice, and my cell phone rang. My father was calling to tell me some bad news. He had been diagnosed with leukemia and was given 9 months to live without a transplant. I couldn’t believe it. Only a few months earlier, he had come to my house to watch the Kentucky Derby and to celebrate his retirement. 65 years old and finally free from the daily grind. It was a happy day.

It was then that I plotted an idea that I had had for a long time. I wanted to give him hope, and to fight the disease. I talked it over with my wife, and she graciously stamped off on my plan to purchase my dad a share in a racehorse. I talked this over with a co-worker who I thought might be interested, and he agreed. Then, I began to investigate what was possible to do this.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Senator

In January of 2010, my dad found a donor for his bone barrow transplant, his brother. Secondarily, the 500,000 dollar procedure would be covered by his insurance and supplemental insurance. We all breathed a sigh of relief, while I continued looking for the right horse to present him.

In March, he began to fall ill, and progressively got worse. They told us he had host vs. graft disease and would need to come back to the hospital for treatment. In mid-April he entered the Sammons Cancer Center in Dallas, Texas. Even the same floor Mickey Mantle had been. It’s important to know my dad was built internally and externally like John Wayne. They gave me dire predictions about days he had left, but he kept hanging on in a slow gradual decline that was difficult to watch, and I can only imagine the pain and exhaustion he had in those months.

In August, a contact notified me he believed he found a horse to co-purchase. It was an unraced thoroughbred named GoldandSilver, and was being broke by a well known trainer named Danny Pish. A racing club that had horses all over the United States owned him, and it was possible to purchase a large share in him because he had not yet raced. I saw that his bloodline included Seattle Slew and Silver Charm, two of my dad’s favorite horses of all-time, so we pulled the trigger and grabbed him.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Senator

I wish I could tell you dad understood when I told him about it, but I know he didn’t. And my head knew he wasn’t getting out of there, but my heart was telling me to keep doing what he could for him, and his toughness would overcome this somehow, someway. By buying the horse, I was buying hope, and with every bill that came in, I felt like it would be worth it if my father could see him run one time.

On Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 9:18am, I received a phone call from the hospital telling me that my father was in a coma from developing pneumonia and would be gone by the evening. After arriving at the hospital and confirming the doctor’s analysis, I began my phone calls. I did not call my brother, who was coaching his first game of the football season the next night. He was in Houston, and there was nothing he could do.

My dad lasted through Thursday, and Thursday night. Friday morning came, and he lasted. Friday night came and he lasted. My brother called at 10pm to tell me the team won. I had to tell him to come home. He arrived at 5am on Saturday morning. Dad lasted until 7:45am Monday morning, August 31, 2010. The doctors had stopped speculating because he kept outlasting them. He was 66 years old.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Senator

The horse continued to progress through the winter and the following spring. Time was spent getting back to a world without a father. Without calling him in May when the Kentucky Derby ran. It was the first one I missed since I was born.

But in the fall, I get an email telling me that his trainer is ready for GoldandSilver to make his maiden race. It was set for September 17, 2010 at Retama Park in San Antonio. All I could think of was how excited my dad would have been.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Senator

GAS as a baby.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Senator

GAS as a 1 yr old.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
Senator

GAS' Daddy Gold Legend.

Last edited by Senator : 03-12-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
Senator

And of course, his grand-daddy

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Senator

Race #1

6th RACE. (C3) Post 8:59PM MAIDEN
PURSE $17,000 (Plus up to $1,360 from ATBOIA) 6 Furlongs
FOR MAIDENS, TWO YEARS OLD.
1 CAT SOUND IT R2 Eliott, R Chapa, I 117
2 CALYPSO CAT (L) R5 Wisdom, L Ruiz, E *112
3 KOOL SOLDIER (L) R4 Eoff, T Figueroa, J 117
4 E PLURIBUS UNUM (L1) P5 Haddock, D Valdez-Jiminez, E *112
5 KIT'S HALO (L1) 0 Willis, M Collier, J 117
6 DEAD CAT BOUNCE (L) P5 Elmegreen, D Contreras, A 117
7 ORIENT DANCER (L1) 0 Knox, M Puello, N 117
8 GOLDANDSILVER (L1) 0 Pish, D Taylor, L 117
9 BONFIRE ROMANCE (L) 0 Garza, J Mora, G *112
10 GENERAL COUNTDOWN (L) R5 Rivera, J Guerra, R *112

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Senator

AND THE HORSES ARE IN THE GATE:

Last edited by Senator : 03-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is this at the racetrack at Belt 8 and 249?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

Senator that's a touching story. It gives extra meaning to watching these races. Your horse looks like he has a pretty good last kick.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

As PM said, very touching story. Looking forward to following this, you definitely have many compelling life stories to share.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #23
Senator

After only a weeks rest, it was felt he could compete in the 100,000 dollar My Dandy Stakes race.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #25
MIJB#19
Coordinator

(As a complete noob about horseracing)
Am I reading that right that GoldandSilver is a bit of a slow starter with a trong finish (at least in the above posted race recap)?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 04-14-2012 at 04:30 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
Senator

In all races. That is why the trainer thinks it might be a good idea to try him in the mile in the next race. I am against it, especially since we are headed to Oklahoma, and I am not sure how he will like the new track and longer distance. I am think 7-8 furlongs might be his range.

But, he raced well in the previous race against good competition and he should get better if we take care not to mess with him. That is why the mile for his 3rd race is a risky move.

Last edited by Senator : 04-14-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Senator, I live in the land of OTBs and Simulcasts. When is Gold and Silver's next race? I would love to throw some symbolic support behind him by picking up a win ticket.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Senator

That was a complete disaster. GAS seems off and not to like either the state, the new track, and the new jockey.

I hope this does not mess with his confidence too much and we have just ruined this horse. We race him one week after his maiden start and win, in a 100k stakes race against stiff competition. The we ship him off to Oklahoma to run in a mile with a new jockey. I think we have managed him poorly, and I feel pretty about being talked into things.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Hey Senator, I live in the land of OTBs and Simulcasts. When is Gold and Silver's next race? I would love to throw some symbolic support behind him by picking up a win ticket.

I think in Lone Star in a few weeks. I am updating this thread now, and at the end of it will explain his upcoming race.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Senator

Still in Oklahoma for a November 11, 2011 race. This one is a 6 furlongs with the jockey I am not fond of. He suggests taking him out on the lead if he can get it, to see what he can do from the front.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #32
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
Senator

Let's get the hell out of Oklahoma. Going to Houston for race #5. GAS form is in poor form and his confidence seems shattered. Boo on us. He is a closer, run him that way in the right distance before its too late.

Last edited by Senator : 04-14-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #34
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Awesome!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #35
Senator

We get the jockey we like in Larry Taylor, but the distance is too short. He will close but might not have enough room. Want to get him out of Claiming races as soon as possible, as I think he will get better, but they are the only choices right now.

Sam Houston Park in Houston, January 29, 2012.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #37
Senator

Well, no shit. He went 4 wide at the top of the stretch, then came charging down the lane. Another 2 furlongs and we win this race. There should be no argument, no indecision, no confusion about where this horse should be slotted from this point on. 6 furlongs to 8 furlongs. PERIOD.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
Senator

Sam Houston, February 17, 2012.

Six Furlongs on the dirt. Turns out his first muddy, sloppy, raining run.

Not much payout here, as we want to try and get some confidence into his form.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #39
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #40
Senator

A place ticket as GAS finally hits the board again. He was gaining hard again. Missed it by a stride taking the race. Feel good about the distance. Now, just get him some graduated competition in heavier races and find the sweet spot for the next 44 races of his career.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #41
Senator

March 4, 2012

Last race in Houston for the season.

Field Goal, who beat GAS in the 100k stakes race in September of last year is the favorite. People still continually bet GAS as one of the favorites in every race. After one great maiden, decent second showing in the stakes race, and then 3 duds of the ownerships fault, he seems to be doing better in training. Tonight he is only going 5 1/2 furlongs. Too short again. But the purse is light, and the competition palatable. Plus last shot in Houston, which he has enjoyed.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #42
Senator

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #43
Senator

And so after 7 races, GAS sits at: in about 7 months of racing.

7-2-1-0

Earnings: $22,968

Last edited by Senator : 04-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #44
Senator

We initially had him entered into a race tonight at Lone Star, but it was a 10k claimer, and we felt he would be grabbed, so we scratched him. So, we are going for a perhaps an Allowance level or face older in a few weeks to see if he can handle the higher level. If he seems not to take, I am afraid we will exist in the land of claiming races until we lose him.

Last edited by Senator : 04-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
Senator

GAS worked a good half mile in :49 4/5 this morning. We're hoping to run in the $20,000 NW3 next Friday. Hopefully it draws enough horses to get used.

Last edited by Senator : 04-20-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #46
Senator

GAS ran sixth tonight at Lone Star in Texas, beaten 13 lengths this afternoon in a disappointing effort. No apparent excuses. He settled in near the back of the pack, dropped back to last down the backside, came wide to begin a rally but had no punch down the stretch in a dull effort.

I don't think these horses were too tough for him. He was a legitimate 9-2 at the window. Perhaps the distance was too far, but an eighth of a mile from home he wasn't in any better position.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

So coming off the last race, where does he go from here? What kind of race was that last one, another claiming? Is that a rough outing to try and bounce back from?

Like Steam?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #48
Senator

GAS came out of his last race in good shape. After talking with the trainer today, we think that the combination of distance, class and perhaps the timing of his run during the race added up to a poor effort. When the jockey hit the pedal, GAS accelerated and ran past a couple horses but then hung. He's dead fit, so it's not a matter of conditioning as much as it's likely a sign that he's simply better coming off the pace at 5 1/2 or 6 furlongs.

We'll take advantage of this poor finish to take a class drop, cut back in distance and look for him to explode down the lane the next time with a move at the quarter pole.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #49
Senator

Race time tomorrow night:

Lone Star Park
2nd race, 7:03pm CST
6 furlongs
pp 5 of 6
8-5 on the morning line

Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #50
chesapeake
College Starter

Is this a claiming race?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote