Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Fantasy / Strat-O-Matic League Advice

I just want to get the pulse of you guys here on what I should do. Yesterday in my Strat-o-Matic league (just think Fantasy it's the same context). One of the owners came out saying he wanted to trade his 1st pick 5th overall in the upcoming 2012 draft. I offered to trade him my 1st in 2014 and something else but he wasn't interested in that.

I told him I'm interested in moving up from my current spots in 2012 at 1.7 and 2.1. Maybe we can work something out?

He said he would be interested in a 2nd and a 3rd.

So I responded with saying, "Do they have to be from this year? I have mine and your 2nds and 3rds for 2013, and I'd be willing to move one of each of them (a 2nd and a 3rd)."

He accepted with a response of "Your second and my third and good with it"

So I finalized the trade as, "Ok, SC 2013 2nd and DV 2013 3rd for the 2012 1.5 you have. Sounds great to me."

And he posted it to the league.

Now 30 hours later he emails me asking for clarification on the trade that he accepted and posted to the league. I write him back exactly what I proposed and he accepted, "Pick 5 for this draft for my 2nd in 2013 and your 3rd in 2013 that I have. Both picks are next years."

And he emails me, Not what I thought I totally screwed up I thought all picks were this years. I even uploaded the trade that way (with the correct 2013 years). lol I would never trade a top 5 pick for this year for 2 picks next year. Not your fault at all just I was mistaken as to the years. what do u want to do? If u don't want to shift the picks to this year we can void it i guess. Its not your fault so it is up to you.

----

I'm not really sure what I should do here, I was being very upfront on the picks I was willing to trade, he even confirmed everything with me and I stressed the years of the picks but here he is coming back saying he made as mistake. Part of me wants to be the nice guy and offer to cancel the trade, but the other part of me thinks he is trying to just back out an already accepted trade. It's frustrating because I did everything I could to confirm the trade...

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I couldn't even follow the conversation about what years you guys were talking about but i obvoiusly got the vibe he wantewd this year only and you wanted future years only. I would let him revoke and work something else out.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If you sent:

Quote:
Ok, SC 2013 2nd and DV 2013 3rd for the 2012 1.5 you have. Sounds great to me

I don't see how he can argue. FWIW, this is why WOOF has a standard trade format:

Quote:
Team 1 Sends:

SC 2013 2nd
DV 2013 3rd

Team 2 Sends:

2012 1.5

You can't get any clearer than that, and someone can't claim that wasn't what they meant after accepting. You were just as clear, he shouldn't have been drinking when he made the trade.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If you sent:

I don't see how he can argue. FWIW, this is why WOOF has a standard trade format:

You can't get any clearer than that, and someone can't claim that wasn't what they meant after accepting. You were just as clear, he shouldn't have been drinking when he made the trade.

Exactly. We have something like that too, on our website you have to specifically select the picks you are trading. There is a drop list and the picks are listed he specifically picked the 2013 picks that we agreed upon and submitted it.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I couldn't even follow the conversation about what years you guys were talking about but i obvoiusly got the vibe he wantewd this year only and you wanted future years only. I would let him revoke and work something else out.

He actually never once said he wanted my picks from 2012.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

actually looking closer it looiks like he's being a douche
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

The other fishy thing is that the Strat-o-Matic stats came out yesterday so what I'm thinking is he thought he didn't want anyone and then after he made the trade realized that stats were out and looked through them and now realized he screwed up...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

I went ahead and reworked the deal with him. Instead of the agreed upon deal this is the trade now.

I send him my 2012 2.1 pick and the 2013 DV 3rd round pick
and I receive the 2012 1.5 pick

Not really what I wanted to do since I really wanted 4 picks in the first 13 but I will be fine and get the guy I want at 1.5 (Dustin Ackley).
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Good job settling it like a gentleman. I see a lot of these types of issues get posted in the primary fantasy football board I read. It usually comes down to one of two things:

1) You are within your rights to say that the other person willfully accepted the deal, the details were clear, and (absent a specific rule allowing it) any partner to the deal can't try to back out once it's proposed/accepted on the league site.

2) You feel like being a nice guy and for the betterment of the league, you either rework the deal or just void it and start fresh.

My opinion is that either approach is perfectly acceptable, but if I'm in an internet league where I don't know the other owners and there may be significant money in play, I'm going with option 1. If it's a group of friends, a casual league, fairly low stakes, better to go with option 2. There's no need to let something like this cause a rift in the league, get people upset, or ruin the fun of it, even if there's some money involved.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

My opinion is that either approach is perfectly acceptable, but if I'm in an internet league where I don't know the other owners and there may be significant money in play, I'm going with option 1. If it's a group of friends, a casual league, fairly low stakes, better to go with option 2. There's no need to let something like this cause a rift in the league, get people upset, or ruin the fun of it, even if there's some money involved.

That ultimately is what the decision was based on. This is a friendly league with no money, and we play the strat games face to face in person, so I'd rather there be no rift, especially since I still feel like one of the new guys (I've been in the league for 2 years but the league has been around for 30).