College Prospect

NCAA 12 or NBA2K12?

Bugs vs. Bugs
Glitches vs. Glitches
Gameplay vs. Gameplay
Dynasty vs. Franchise mode
Functionality
Miscellaneous

I'm a MUCH bigger football fan than basketball, but want a good game. I enjoyed NCAA 11 and only couldn't stand how sim games had way too many OL pancakes. I got through about 4 seasons and as a picky sim gamer, I thought that was telling.

I also had NBA2K11 and got through a few seasons (mostly simming) and was impressed. My only beef with 11, and the 2K series, is that I suck at the game and can't dedicate the time probably necessary...or am I overestimating the learning curve? I wanna slash lol

Help me out! I expect a lot of "get NBA...NCAA is garbage" but is it that clear-cut?

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Funny - I was just gonna come on and ask the same question about NBA vs. NHL.

Figured I only maybe had time for one of the two of them.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

I can't offer a comparison, but I will say with the right sliders NCAA 12 is very run. I am still playing this version which is the first time it has carried over into a new year since probably 2006. Some nice improvements in the tackling and run blocking and things don't get ridiculous in terms of talent as you get into all fictional players like 2011 did.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Even with the unpatched PC version, NBA 2K12 is the best non-text sim sports game I've played. The constant trading in My Player mode is annoying (but fixed on consoles?), but I'm having a blast with the dynasty mode.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Icy
Pro Starter

I guess you are talking about consoles, if so, NBA2k12 was patched and most of the issues fixed, including the constant trading by AI teams.

The last NCAA i played was 09, haven't purchased it since then because the bugs, so i'll only talk about NBA2k12.

There are only two big bugs in NBA2k12 right now.

- Team stats glitch: When you look at your team stats, the amount of assists and another stat that i can't remember right now, is incorrect. Your individual player stats are fine. Not a game killer for me.

- No double teams glitch: The AI doesn't double team inside, so you can abuse it with a top post player as he won't be double teamed most of the time in the paint and you will once have to face one defender.

There are some awesome roster sets and custom draft classes right now that also improve the gameplay experience a lot.

Franchise is pretty much bug free besides those two, the AI roster decisions can be a bit weird sometimes, but not worse than in any other console sport game, and if you have the patience, you can run a 30 teams franchise to control every team rotations, lineups, FA signups and drafts, or to delegate some of those tasks.

MyPlayer is really fun if you are into those modes as I am. You are interviewed by teams, get drafted, answer post game press questions that affect your chemistry with your team mates and your fan popularity, can request trades, have realistic contracts, sponsorship deals, etc.

You can also play with historic teams and players.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm a much bigger fan of college football than the NBA, but I own NBA2K12 and play it every day. It's one of the best console sports games I've played.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

And Mizzou, you're a NCAA football player aren't you? Is the silence speaking volumes this time?!?!?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I see Wal-Mart is selling 360 version for $40...PS3 is still $60. Any clue as to when PS3 follows suit? I might as well wait for that I guess eh?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I just realized they haven't done a college basketball game for a while.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
And Mizzou, you're a NCAA football player aren't you? Is the silence speaking volumes this time?!?!?

If you don't have anything good to say........say the good thing only.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Amazon also has NBA 2K12 at $39.96.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Icy
Pro Starter

Just discovered the 2k12 MyPlayer game killing bug, at least imho. It's both in Ps3 and 360, not sure about PC.

The draft order after the first season is just alphabetical, so the 76ers get always the 1st pick and Wizards the 30th. After a few seasons the 76 obviously become powerhorses.

Thankfully it doesn't happen in Franchise, but it has killed all my interest on MyPlayer mode, that was my favourite until now

How can a bug like that pass through testing and even worse, not to be fixed after several patches.

Last edited by Icy : 01-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Just discovered the 2k12 MyPlayer game killing bug, at least imho. It's both in Ps3 and 360, not sure about PC.

The draft order after the first season is just alphabetical, so the 76ers get always the 1st pick and Wizards the 30th. After a few seasons the 76 obviously become powerhorses.

Thankfully it doesn't happen in Franchise, but it has killed all my interest on MyPlayer mode, that was my favourite until now

How can a bug like that pass through testing and even worse, not to be fixed after several patches.
Be sure to report it. I don't know if they're done with patches yet. Surprised it got through this long, though.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

What if I through FIFA into the mix? Is there a new one coming out, or is 12 already out?!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Never noticed it per say, but did always seem to question how the Celtics and Bulls GM were savvy enough to keep grabbing high draft picks. Guess I better ask the Trail Blazers to trade me
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Because I think the core audience is more concerned with what color socks Kevin Durant is wearing and whether they got Kobe's sneakers right instead of things like that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
What if I through FIFA into the mix? Is there a new one coming out, or is 12 already out?!

FIFA is hands-down awesome. IMO it's the best version of FIFA in the last half-dozen years, hands-down.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Because I think the core audience is more concerned with what color socks Kevin Durant is wearing and whether they got Kobe's sneakers right instead of things like that.
Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how many people get livid over how many shoes are available in the game, or whether a guy can wear his headband upside down, but don't push for fixes to gameplay, AI, or other issues that directly affect the balance of the game.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Any closing remarks? I'm planning on picking up FIFA 12 after work today.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Autumn
Head Coach

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this thread! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a guy on a forum defending a major video gaming company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in your computer room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must choose one of these games! The defense rests.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this thread? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this thread! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a guy on a forum defending a major video gaming company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in your computer room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must choose one of these games! The defense rests.

When did Chewbacca ever even suggest that he wanted to live on Endor? Ladies and gentlemen, this whole argument is moot. Ladies and gentlement, please ignor everything the distinguished gentleman from Maine said. I move to strike.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
Autumn
Head Coach

Why would I say Chewbacca wanted to live on Endor if Chewbacca didn't want to live on Endor? It doesn't make sense. I don't make sense. Does that make sense? No, no sense. So while you're deciding between NCAA '12 and NBA2K12, ask yourself, does this make any sense? Does that make any sense? Does Honolulu Blue make any sense?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

SORRY FOR DERAILING THIS GOOD TOPIC
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
SORRY FOR DERAILING THIS GOOD TOPIC

Apology accepted, Pumpy Tudors

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
King of New York
High School Varsity

I've got NBA 2K12, NCAA 12, and NHL--I enjoy them all, but if I had to pick one over all the others, I would pick NHL. The gameplay is just fantastic, and quite a bit improved (especially in front of the net) over the last version. I would rank NCAA 12 second--it is not all that different than NCAA 11, but as I liked NCAA 11 a lot, that's not a problem for me.

NBA 2K12 is enjoyable and certainly worth getting if you have the cash, but there is an inbounding glitch that was not there in 2K11 (or, at least, I think it is a glitch). It can be annoying and really detract from the gameplay. I wasn't aware of the draft glitch until now. Also, the AI still (just as in 2K11) has a tendency not to run plays correctly if a screen is not set in precisely the right spot--the ballhandler will just dribble until there is a second on the shot clock and then heave up a brick.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Apology accepted, Pumpy Tudors

Nice, but could have been epic if you had photoshopped Pumpy's face on the victim.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Nice, but could have been epic if you had photoshopped Pumpy's face on the victim.

I had the same exact thought. Sadly, I have neither photoshop or any photoshop skillz.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for the topic... I loved NBA 2K11. I don't like basketball generally or the NBA, but thought NBA 2K11 was one of the best sports games I've ever played on a console.

I assume NBA 2K12 is equally as good.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
I've got NBA 2K12, NCAA 12, and NHL--I enjoy them all, but if I had to pick one over all the others, I would pick NHL. The gameplay is just fantastic, and quite a bit improved (especially in front of the net) over the last version. I would rank NCAA 12 second--it is not all that different than NCAA 11, but as I liked NCAA 11 a lot, that's not a problem for me.

NBA 2K12 is enjoyable and certainly worth getting if you have the cash, but there is an inbounding glitch that was not there in 2K11 (or, at least, I think it is a glitch). It can be annoying and really detract from the gameplay. I wasn't aware of the draft glitch until now. Also, the AI still (just as in 2K11) has a tendency not to run plays correctly if a screen is not set in precisely the right spot--the ballhandler will just dribble until there is a second on the shot clock and then heave up a brick.

Fuck you - now I want to grab NHL - especially because I feel like in-front-of-net could use improvement. May do that on the way home.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fuck you - now I want to grab NHL - especially because I feel like in-front-of-net could use improvement. May do that on the way home.

You're welcome
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
You're welcome
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yeah, agreed. Although I'm not sure we need more black on black crime around these parts.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, agreed. Although I'm not sure we need more black on black crime around these parts.