Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Baseball HOF Predictions

Anyone want to take a stab on predicting the outcome of the HOF votes due out Monday...

I think Larkin and only Larkin gets in...

I think Morris jumps up to the mid 60% range and gets in striking distance of making it in...

I think Trammell and Raines increase in votes, but are still a ways away...

I think all of the newcomers to the ballot fail to get the 5% needed to stay on the ballot for 2013 except Bernie Williams...he'll be back on it again.

I think no one else makes any significant change....

Last edited by Breeze : 01-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't even know who was nominated, but I predict that the player with the highest WAR will not get in, and people are going to lose their freakin' minds.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't even know who was nominated, but I predict that the player with the highest WAR will not get in, and people are going to lose their freakin' minds.

2012 Baseball Hall of Fame Hopefuls
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think you're right on the money, Larkin gets in and no one else. Bagwell might get closer but not in. Next year is more interesting- Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Biggio, Schiling, Sosa on for the 1st time.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
oykib
College Starter

I think Larkin gets in. The more interesting question is whether Morris or Raines gets into the 65+% range. The writers are going to feel pressure to push one of them through because of the aforementioned, controversial powerhouse class next year.

I think Raines gets into the mid-60s. Morris is looking worse and worse compared to the guys who came after him in much bigger hitting eras. Schilling, for instance, absolutely blows him away. I think he finishes within a few points of last years 53.5%.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am not even sure how many of the the first year nominees get the 5% they need to stay on the ballot. (If I had to be generous... 3?)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sixto Lezcano

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Next year is more interesting- Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Biggio, Schiling, Sosa on for the 1st time.

It's interesting how that's considered a "powerhouse class", but at the same time, I don't think any of them are slam dunk. I don't think Bonds, Clemens, or Sosa get in, based on the votes McGwire got (McGwire doesn't have the credentials of those 3, but damn, he was just killed by the voters.) Biggio has the numbers but not the fame. He's not a big part of baseball history, and he was never an MVP, or even top-3 in MVP voting. Schilling is kind of the opposite deal - he doesn't have the numbers but he's got a ton of huge moments, he's a big part of baseball history. Piazza seemed like a slam dunk at one point in his career, but now I have no idea.

Last edited by molson : 01-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's interesting how that's considered a "powerhouse class", but at the same time, I don't think any of them are slam dunk. I don't think Bonds, Clemens, or Sosa get in, based on the votes McGwire got (McGwire doesn't have the credentials of those 3, but damn, he was just killed by the voters.) Biggio has the numbers but not the fame. He's not a big part of baseball history, and he was never an MVP, or even top-3 in MVP voting. Schilling is kind of the opposite deal - he doesn't have the numbers but he's got a ton of huge moments, he's a big part of baseball history. Piazza seemed like a slam dunk at one point in his career, but now I have no idea.

I think Piazza is a lock. Biggio will be interesting since he should get in, but I wouldn't be surprised if he falls short his first year. I think Schilling gets in on his first try.

Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa don't have a chance. I've explained on here before that I believe Sosa's case is iffy even without the steroid cloud.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

I think Schilling is way overrated for a guy that didn't win 220 games, and never won a Cy Young.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I think Schilling is way overrated for a guy that didn't win 220 games, and never won a Cy Young.

He did finish 2nd 3 times in 4 years. His peak was pretty good. And in the playoffs he's 11-2, 2.23 ERA, 0.968 WHIP, and he was in 3 World Series in which he won a game for the winning team. Certainly a lot of sizzle that might make up for the career stats.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
He did finish 2nd 3 times in 4 years. His peak was pretty good. And in the playoffs he's 11-2, 2.23 ERA, 0.968 WHIP, and he was in 3 World Series in which he won a game for the winning team. Certainly a lot of sizzle that might make up for the career stats.

I don't disagree. His peak was pretty good. I just don't see him as a lock. I guess it's me.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I thought Mattingly was better than that.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

and am I missing something? What's so great about Larkin?

(And I was even a Cincinnatian during their WOrld Series run and at his peak)
Old 01-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I thought Mattingly was better than that.

I thought Dale Murphy was better than that too. There was a bunch of guys in the 80s that seemed like HOFs when they were playing, and then just faded somehow. Their power numbers just don't look the same anymore.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
and am I missing something? What's so great about Larkin?

(And I was even a Cincinnatian during their WOrld Series run and at his peak)

He was a multiple gold glove SS with an MVP and 9 silver sluggers. His OPS+ was 116 and he had a 30-30 season (which wasn't even his MVP year). Overall, he stole 379 bases and was only caught 77 times (83%). He ranks 67th all-time in offensive WAR (Baseball Reference). A very good to excellenty fielding SS who is the 67th best offensive player in MLB history should have been a first-ballot inductee.

Code:
19 Seasons 2180 9057 7937 1329 2340 441 76 198 960 379 77 939 817 .295 .371 .444 .815 116 3527 178 55 59 67 66 162 Game Avg. 162 673 590 99 174 33 6 15 71 28 6 70 61 .295 .371 .444 .815 116 262 13 4 4 5 5 G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB

Last edited by oykib : 01-07-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
He was a multiple gold glove SS with an MVP and 9 silver sluggers. His OPS+ was 116 and he had a 30-30 season (which wasn't even his MVP year). Overall, he stole 379 bases and was only caught 77 times (83%). He ranks 66th all-time in offensive WAR (Baseball Reference). A very good to excellenty fielding SS who is the 66th best offensive player in MLB history should have been a first-ballot inductee.

Code:
19 Seasons 2180 9057 7937 1329 2340 441 76 198 960 379 77 939 817 .295 .371 .444 .815 116 3527 178 55 59 67 66 162 Game Avg. 162 673 590 99 174 33 6 15 71 28 6 70 61 .295 .371 .444 .815 116 262 13 4 4 5 5 G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB

good answer
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
good answer

I think another reason why he doesn't stand out like he should it the emergence of SS like AROD, Jeter, Garciaparra, and Tejada at the end of his career (this hurts Trammell too). Before the influx of these offensive SS the only one that was better offensive in Larkin's/Trammell's time was arguably Ripken. Put back in context of his peers, he was far superior.

I think Mattingly and Murphy suffer a bit - the marginalizing of the homerun in the Steriod Era makes their accomplishments seem less compelling. But the bigger issue is both were dominating in their peak but washed up quickly. Had either had a couple more good seasons (I don't think they even needed to be great, just good) they are probably in.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-07-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
good answer

The only knock I think people can make against Larkin is his health. He missed a TON of games over the course of his career. Probably a conservative estimate at 750 games missed due to injuries which is around 4.5-5 seasons worth of games. He would have ended up with 3000 hits pretty easily.

That's not to say durability shouldn't count. It just puts into perspective that he really was an outstanding shortstop. I think it was a real shame that he and Alomar both didn't go in on their first tries. They both were worthy enough.

I find it even more of shame though that Alomar got in on his second and Larkin didn't. It's unbelievable how close their numbers are, both great defensive players at their positions -- with Larkin playing the tougher position.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The only knock I think people can make against Larkin is his health. He missed a TON of games over the course of his career. Probably a conservative estimate at 750 games missed due to injuries which is around 4.5-5 seasons worth of games. He would have ended up with 3000 hits pretty easily.

That's not to say durability shouldn't count. It just puts into perspective that he really was an outstanding shortstop. I think it was a real shame that he and Alomar both didn't go in on their first tries. They both were worthy enough.

I find it even more of shame though that Alomar got in on his second and Larkin didn't. It's unbelievable how close their numbers are, both great defensive players at their positions -- with Larkin playing the tougher position.

If you think Alomar and Larkin's number are similar...look at Trammell's and Larkin's. Much closer than many would expect.

I think it is a shame Trammell isn't getting more support...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

didn't ozzie smith primarily get in on his defense and longetivity? I don't recall Ozzie having outstanding offense overall.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
If you think Alomar and Larkin's number are similar...look at Trammell's and Larkin's. Much closer than many would expect.

I think it is a shame Trammell isn't getting more support...

I think Trammell loses support because he's tied to Whitaker. Fairly, or unfairly, people see those two as a duo and if one goes in, they know the screams will be for the other to go. So, I think guys vote to keep them both out because they don't believe Whitaker should get in.

Another thing about Trammell is he was probably not ever the best SS in the AL because of Ripken. Larkin was the best SS in the NL for a period of 5-7 years.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
didn't ozzie smith primarily get in on his defense and longetivity? I don't recall Ozzie having outstanding offense overall.

Yeah...Ozzie's offense was pretty pedestrian. I haven't looked it up, but I think he was south of 30 HR for a career and his lifetime BA was around .265. I think the only offensive category that he could be considered a + was SB...
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think Trammell loses support because he's tied to Whitaker. Fairly, or unfairly, people see those two as a duo and if one goes in, they know the screams will be for the other to go. So, I think guys vote to keep them both out because they don't believe Whitaker should get in.

Another thing about Trammell is he was probably not ever the best SS in the AL because of Ripken. Larkin was the best SS in the NL for a period of 5-7 years.

Agreed. Plus the there was a short time that Fernandez was arguably better in the AL as well...
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So why don't we whip up a quick HOF vote ourselves and see how WE would vote?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
So why don't we whip up a quick HOF vote ourselves and see how WE would vote?
shitstorm warning in effect for fofc county
Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
korme
Go Reds

My favorite player of all-time, any sport. I'm pumped!

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #28
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

20 minutes til announecment!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

4 minutes!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

MLB.com/LIVE | The Baseball Channel | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

thanks for the link
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

Grats Barry Larkin!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
oykib
College Starter

Congratulations to Barry Larkin!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

YAYYYYY!!!!! Pity Morris and Raines didn't get in.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #35
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I want a pimp hat like Eric Davis.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Larkin is a great call. He's an all time great at SS.

Others:

- why on earth do people keep voting for Jack Morris? He's an above average pitcher, but Dave Steib is more of a HOF than Morris ever will be. All this BS about "pitching to the score" is just that

- Tim Raines and Jeff Bagwell, are no-doubt HOF's by any rational metric - shocking to see them out, because voters are either playing chickenshit (in Bagwell's case) or just unaware of Raines. Raines wasn't Rickey Henderson, but no one else was - Rickey is inner-circle HOF.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

FUCKING AWESOME. Barry Larkin totally deserves it.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Others:

- why on earth do people keep voting for Jack Morris? He's an above average pitcher, but Dave Steib is more of a HOF than Morris ever will be. All this BS about "pitching to the score" is just that

- Tim Raines and Jeff Bagwell, are no-doubt HOF's by any rational metric - shocking to see them out, because voters are either playing chickenshit (in Bagwell's case) or just unaware of Raines. Raines wasn't Rickey Henderson, but no one else was - Rickey is inner-circle HOF.
Quoted for truth.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #39
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

I totally agree on these points. There was an article about Bagwell's situation a little while ago.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Next year I think Bagwell, Schilling get in.

Biggio and Piazza will get in later.

The rest never.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-09-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It will probably take close to the maximum time on the ballot, but I think Edgar will eventually get in. His results are tracking reasonably well in that regard, and he's the type of candidate that is likely helped by the continuing SABR-metric evolution of the HOF voting base.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Others:

Most definitely this.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #43
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Dave Steib is more of a HOF than Morris ever will be.
I actually kind of want Morris to get in just so I can get all indignant about this indisputable fact.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Sixto Lezcano

This is bullshit he didn't make it!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

I'm always fascinated by the guys at the bottom that, someone, somewhere, thinks is HOF worthy:

Tim Salmon 5 0.9%
Bill Mueller 4 0.7%
Brad Radke 2 0.3%
Javy López 1 0.2%
Eric Young 1 0.2%

It was last year or the year before that some ESPN writer cast the single for somebody - it was Benito Santiago or maybe david Segui. He had this whole explanation that I couldn't follow.

Edit: ESPN's Pedro Gomez voted for Bill Mueller. Interesting to hear him defend it on Twitter (he calls it a "favored son" vote to honor someone who won't be on the ballot again), but kind of disturbing how so many people are freaking out over it, like the vote is a greater sin then molesting little boys. It is amusing though. Last year, ESPN's Barry Stanton voted for B.J. Surhoff and Tino Martinez, but not Roberto Alomar.

Last edited by molson : 01-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #46
korme
Go Reds

Man all my Cincinnati childhood friends are so stoked about it on Facebook. Universally everyone's favorite. It's really a storybook tale, the guy was born & raised in the city that drafted him and he stayed for his entire career, opting for retirement over a few extra paychecks (in Washington) at the end.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Last year, ESPN's Barry Stanton voted for B.J. Surhoff and Tino Martinez, but not Roberto Alomar.

If you're a baseball editor at ESPN, how do you literally not consider that grounds for firing?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #48
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I actually kind of want Morris to get in just so I can get all indignant about this indisputable fact.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here - but I'm not being facetious about it. Steib was a significantly better pitcher than Morris with a significantly better peak (4 6WAR+ seasons - Morris didn't even have one), significantly higher career value despite 900 less innings (53 WAR vs 380), and just all around better. Steib's 5th best season is probably better than any single season that Morris had.

Hell even using old fashioned stats, Morris never had an ERA below 3 in his career - not once, in a significantly lower run scoring environment. His career high in ERA+ is 133, and that was in a year where he pitched less than 200 innings.

This mystique of Morris bit is the ultimate in "I'll vote for the guy first, justify it later" bit - he made 5 AS games in his career, which is low for someone who they now assure us was considered as one of the "best pitchers in the game."

Last edited by Crapshoot : 01-09-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #49
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
I know I'm preaching to the choir here - but I'm not being facetious about it. Steib was a significantly better pitcher than Morris with a significantly better peak (4 6WAR+ seasons - Morris didn't even have one), significantly higher career value despite 900 less innings (53 WAR vs 380), and just all around better. Steib's 5th best season is probably better than any single season that Morris had.

Hell even using old fashioned stats, Morris never had an ERA below 3 in his career - not once, in a significantly lower run scoring environment. His career high in ERA+ is 133, and that was in a year where he pitched less than 200 innings.

This mystique of Morris bit is the ultimate in "I'll vote for the guy first, justify it later" bit - he made 5 AS games in his career, which is low for someone who they now assure us was considered as one of the "best pitchers in the game."

Morris had a career ERA+ of 105. A current day comparison with a career ERA+ of 105 - AJ Burnett.

Mike Mussina better get in when he comes up in 2 years if they're gonna give Jack Morris 66%. He most likely will not get in on the 1st ballot but Mussina pitched during the steroid era and in the AL East his whole career and still has better numbers.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 01-09-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #50
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

internet fight! great article

The Worst Thing Ever Written About Barry Larkin - Baseball Nation