Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Which historical culture would you want to live in?

So last night wife and I are watching a Frontline on Afghanistan. She asked me why anyone would want to live as 12th century community. Then she asked me what culture I would want to live in (no America at any time). In thinking about the question I realized how little I know of other cultures. For example, what were the golden age of Japan and India like?

It's hard to think of a culture that a) was not without war for a few generations b) where being anything but royal would suck

So far I am leaning towards Greece and hanging with So-Crates.

Anyway, what culture would you pick? Assume you were not the richest or poorest. Also, if you know of any books that would go a long with your pick, please share.

Finally, I still miss our historical/pop drafts.

Last edited by AENeuman : 01-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Being a Viking would be a lot of fun, as long as you survived anyway. Booze, broads, war, and traveling.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rome under Augustus or during the "Five Good Emperors" era.

Failing that, I'd do Renaissance era....probably Venice or France.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

A Roman?

or...a pre-contact Native American.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Rome under Augustus or during the "Five Good Emperors" era.

Trajan/Hadrian were always my pick.

In a lot of ways you can probably make the argument that that was the "high water mark" of the Roman Empire. Not necessarily in the territorial sense, but in totality.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-04-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Though, this question would be better suited split into two:

1) What historical culture/era would you want to be a sort of passive observer to, to watch history truly unfold before you? (Sort of a Doctor Who scenario...without aliens fucking everything up. You're there, you can interact, but it's history to you, and you're not getting involved, just being there.)

and

2) The actual "where would you want to be living, working, breathing, part of day to day life as an person ignorant of what the future will bring?"

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Without being pedantic, I'd say the answer is none. We forget the advantages we have now - hell, plumbing is one, air conditioning is another, cars are a third, basic sanitation and hygine as a whole. Even a 100 years ago, you couldn't take most of this for granted.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Rome prior to The Colosseum. They were so far advanced for the time. Its too bad the Dark Ages stalled much of this progress.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Without being pedantic, I'd say the answer is none. We forget the advantages we have now - hell, plumbing is one, air conditioning is another, cars are a third, basic sanitation and hygine as a whole. Even a 100 years ago, you couldn't take most of this for granted.

Im sure the majority feel this way With the mindset that you dont miss what you dont have/know about what culture would you have chosen?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Which ever one encouraged men being allowed to spend their time with multiple women and those women do what they were told.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think what screws me over in answering this one is that I'm assuming that history then runs its course from wherever you're plopped down.

At that point I'm just swapping one set of eventual problems for the ones I've got now, so it's probably just as well to sit tight.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Which ever one encouraged men being allowed to spend their time with multiple women and those women do what they were told.

Isnt that the Middle East in todays world?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

There's not one place I can think of where I'd actually want to live there. Visit? Now that would be different. There's lots of times and historical cultures I'd like to visit.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There are parts of Alabama where this still can't be taken for granted, although I suspect hygiene issues are a matter of local choice.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
So last night wife and I are watching a Frontline on Afghanistan. She asked me why anyone would want to live as 12th century community. Then she asked me what culture I would want to live in (no America at any time). In thinking about the question I realized how little I know of other cultures. For example, what were the golden age of Japan and India like?

It's hard to think of a culture that a) was not without war for a few generations b) where being anything but royal would suck

So far I am leaning towards Greece and hanging with So-Crates.

Anyway, what culture would you pick? Assume you were not the richest or poorest. Also, if you know of any books that would go a long with your pick, please share.

Finally, I still miss our historical/pop drafts.

Before I even opened the thread, I had this image in my head

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1) What historical culture/era would you want to be a sort of passive observer to, to watch history truly unfold before you? (Sort of a Doctor Who scenario...without aliens fucking everything up. You're there, you can interact, but it's history to you, and you're not getting involved, just being there.)

and

2) The actual "where would you want to be living, working, breathing, part of day to day life as an person ignorant of what the future will bring?"

1). Without question or hesitation, the era of Christ.

2). 1880's Australia. The only major war coming up (WW1) isn't fought on your soil, and only takes volunteers. You're past most of the anti-colonial stuff and the anti-miner stuff. You are a democracy, largely westernized, you won't have a lot of the unrest others have in the 20's. The depression of 1930s hits you hard too, but it's difficult to find a nation that isn't hit roughly after WW1 and it's free and Westernizied. By then, I'd be in my high 70's or 80s, if alive at all. However, Australia is one of the quickest nations to recover from it, and by the mid 30s is back in business. (Edit: WW2 is nasty in the Pacific Theater, but by then, it's 55-60 ish years later, and you aren;t hit as hard as other nations either).

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

I opt for whichever culture had the best broadband speeds.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I opt for whichever culture had the best broadband speeds.

The mongols
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rome although apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I want to live in Dolemite's culture, because he had an afro and kung fu bitches.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The mongols

Sorry, I should clarify: Best broadband speeds AND no requirement to burn goat dung in my ger to keep the flies away.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #22
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

and

I like number 1 better, but I was going for number 2. I think this was a rough question for me because, like others, today seems so much better than any other time, even the US in P.B.E. (Pre-Bucc Era)

As far as number 1, I think witnessing the Christological councils leading up to the Nicene Creed would be great.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think most historical events, particularly the further you go back, would probably be quite underwhelming compared to what we would expect, given how much they have been built up over the centuries or more.

Religious events in particular, without wanting to turn the thread into one of those threads, would most probably fit that bill, with the exception of those wanting to witness Xenu's electronic ribbons capturing those thetans.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think if you moved back to a time where things were "rougher" by today's standards you'd adapt though. I mean sure...you might miss the internet for a couple months, but if you're hunting buffalo on the open prarie and riding bareback across the plains, eventually I think you'd have better things to do with your time when whine about not having access to all the information on the internet.

There's definitely an appeal to a "simpler life."
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'd go back and challenge Napoleon to a game of 1 on 1, first to 21 wins.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Not that simple.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

...until you die of a tooth infection.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Being a Viking would be a lot of fun, as long as you survived anyway. Booze, broads, war, and traveling.

You do realize that they were mostly all farmers and didn't wear horned helmets.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Buccaneer
Head Coach

As a passive observer, Galilee ca. 30ad.

As far as living in a culture, Ancient Egypt under Ramses II, only if I had plenty of prilosec, antibiotics of all kinds and a significant reduced sense of smell (all three would apply to any historical culture prior to the 20th century I suppose).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You do realize that they were mostly all farmers and didn't wear horned helmets.

DAMN IT!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
...until you die of a tooth infection.

que sera sera
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #32
booradley
High School Varsity

Hmmm ... I've often had the fantasy that I would travel back in time and record Jesus' life from start to finish, just to put an end to the whole Christian controversy once and for all. Sadly, I think I'd be murdered by church officials before I even set off. They just wouldn't want the risk of being proven wrong, methinks ...
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Hmmm ... I've often had the fantasy that I would travel back in time and record Jesus' life from start to finish, just to put an end to the whole Christian controversy once and for all. Sadly, I think I'd be murdered by church officials before I even set off. They just wouldn't want the risk of being proven wrong, methinks ...

Already happened
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life-of-brian.jpg (53.0 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by AENeuman : 01-04-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

And Bucc would know as he was there

I've been wanting to catch up on this thread for a couple of days now and the least I can contribute is a "Bucc is old" joke

That said, I kindof was hoping for more responses like AENeuman- I don't know much about other ancient cultures to make an informed decision and was hoping others did...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The two different scenarios really are an important distinction.

For "best time to live"- boy, you'd be hard pressed to find a life as prosperous, interesting, and comfortable as the American baby boomers. Yes, there was a threat of nuclear war to worry about but no major plagues, massive technological advancement in all aspects of life, and tons of history unfolding from the Cold war to landing on the moon to the dawn of the Information age.

As for time to witness- yeah, I see the Doctor Who-esque aspect and have often thought about it. However, until the 20th century, it seems things happened so slowly that it would be like watching a glacier move. Yes, Jesus would be an obvious big marker there as a single event. However, the rise of Christianity takes centuries. Same with the rise and fall of the Roman empire. We've probably already seen it but can someone point to the single salient event that led to the fall of the American "empire" (probably 9/11 but who knows) and that's an empire that was maybe 100 years long, tops.

There's no media to transmit images to get a flash reaction from the populace until the last 60 or so years. And even those type of events that get that flash reaction are not ones we are so moved by the reaction so much as embarrassed, going back in time (think Rodney King trial or OJ chase or violence and discrimination against Muslims post 9/11). So I guess it needs to be about the single solitary event. I really feel bummed that I was born a few years too late for the moon landing and it will likely be decades before we again do something significant space-wise. It's really tough to top 30~33 AD, tho. A few off the top of my head would be the Reformation, maybe the building of some great structures (the pyramids or Colisseum), or the creation of some great works of art (Shakespeare's Hamlet or the Sistene Chapel, for instance).

Also, to the previous point, I've often considered that I'm a couple hundred years too early. I'd love to see what 200 or 500 years brings. I know we could very easily fall into a multitude of distopian futures but there's also such a capacity for positive change if we mature as people. It's hard to imagine a civilization with as many mile markers and advancements as the 20th century- flight to atomic energy to space travel to information age all in 100 years! But, on the other hand, can you imagine how fast science and society can advance when we, as a civilization, learn to harness the information age, as a whole?

Right now, we're all adjusting to the amount of information out there- how to process it quickly, how to build off of it- I mean, think about it: all of us who wanted to learn more than a couple of pages about a topic had to spend a couple of weeks in a library, doing a research paper, reading original sources and trying to collect information from disparate books and periodicals, microfiche, etc. Now you can find all that in a few mouse clicks. Think of the historical advancement attributed to Gutenberg. Now expand that exponentially.

As humans, our minds and teaching methods will again have to change to comprehend information quickly as our processing speed will be where the bottleneck is. But how far off are we from the Matrix scenario where you can just download a book straight into your head and not just input it as data but actually comprehend how to fly a helicopter in a matter of seconds? Now imagine doing that with physics or agriculture knowledge or biology- how fast one could advance new sources of energy or food production or medicine if one had the capacity to understand and then build off the science in an afternoon.

That will be an amazing time, beyond our comprehension, provided we also can mature as humans and not destroy ourselves in the process.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #36
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

Ancients had plumbing,basic sanitation and hygiene...Its pretty much with the advent of the "dark ages" that society took a crap, so to speak........

My choice would be ancient Sumer

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 01-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
TroyF
Coordinator

I understand the two questions, but when you go back in history the scary thing is what you might end up.

As a white guy, I at least have the race angle in pretty good shape historically. Growing up lower middle class? That really puts me in bad shape in a lot of historical cultures. Having health issues (Marfans, prone to severe cases of bronchitas) puts me in even worse shape. With those traits, I don't even make it through childhood in many cultures.

Make me super rich and powerful? There are a lot of places I could live.

All in all, I'll stay put. Force me to choose and I'll probably go to Greece and hope I can be Homer's seeing eye dog.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #38
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My wife is a huge Jane Austen fan and would like to live in that time period. I could do that as I like the warfare in that era, so as long as I could be Wellington, I'm good with that.

WWII tank commander would be cool too. That's probably third. I think above that I'd like to live in the age of castles, as long as I was a king and didn't have shit all over me.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #39
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
My wife is a huge Jane Austen fan and would like to live in that time period. I could do that as I like the warfare in that era, so as long as I could be Wellington, I'm good with that.

WWII tank commander would be cool too. That's probably third. I think above that I'd like to live in the age of castles, as long as I was a king and didn't have shit all over me.

So you want to go to a time where you can be involved in warfare? I'd want to pick a time that had as much absence of warfare as possible, personally.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
So you want to go to a time where you can be involved in warfare? I'd want to pick a time that had as much absence of warfare as possible, personally.

Guess it's the inner war gamer in me. If I wanted a more peaceful time, then the Victorian era and the height of the railway would be a favorite for me since I've always liked trains. The Age of Exploration would be neat too if I could be an explorer.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #41
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Guess it's the inner war gamer in me. If I wanted a more peaceful time, then the Victorian era and the height of the railway would be a favorite for me since I've always liked trains. The Age of Exploration would be neat too if I could be an explorer.

I like fantasy games, doesn't mean I really want to go into a dungeon and try to kill a dragon
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #42
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

1970's England.

Kick-ass cop shows, comedies, music (from across the pond, mostly) and the worst thing that can happen is a gust of wind knocks my enormous plaid collar out of place.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

God, the 1970s would have been music heaven for me, especially in the UK.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #44
bhlloy
Coordinator

As a regular citizen, I would have to think the height of the Roman Empire would be the way to go. Pretty safe and you have probably more rights and live in a more civilized time (relatively) than many ages after that until the 20th century. Plus Italian women are hot and there are public baths.

WWII tank commander - ugh. Uncomfortable way to live and a horrible way to die if you get hit.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #45
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Interesting question and one which the Woody Allen movie MIDNIGHT IN PARIS answers quite well. I recommend this movie to anyone who is actually interested in this question and wants an amusing and intelligent work of art to point the way to an answer.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #46
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Also P. J. O'Roarke had a one-word response for everyone who yearns to live in a prior era:

Dentistry.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote