Dark Cloud

What the hell are you listening to...2012 Edition

2011 Edition
2010 Edition
2009 Edition
2008 Edition
2007 Edition
2006 Edition

Here's a smattering of what's coming in 2012: New and Upcoming Music and Albums at Metacritic

Will this really be the year of Dr. Dre's off-delayed Detox?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.walkingwithkings.com/default.aspx

First free download of the new year perhaps, as the Christian Rock side project featuring Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo, Fozzy) & Frank Fontsere (Fozzy) debuted at midnight offering the entire album for free.

Unapologetic Christian lyrics, musically it's rather AOR with occasionally modern touches in the guitar work, vocal style ranges from mostly melodic rock with one Stryper-esque track ("Home"), even get a little 70's vibe from another track ("Friends").

Not going to be everyone's cup of tea obviously -- indeed I think it's probably an album where even fans will like one or two cuts better than they like the rest, regardless of which one turns out to be their favorite -- but worth a download if you enjoyed Stryper or earlier Christian Rock artists.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
...Unapologetic Christian lyrics, musically it's rather AOR with occasionally modern touches in the guitar work, vocal style ranges from mostly melodic rock with one Stryper-esque track ("Home"), even get a little 70's vibe from another track ("Friends")...if you enjoyed Stryper or earlier Christian Rock artists.

What is "AOR"?

I haven't given this a listen, but I imagine it's rather hard Christian Rock? The only Christian Rock I can think of are Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, and then the more modern POD and Switchfoot...all of which I like...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
What is "AOR"?

I haven't given this a listen, but I imagine it's rather hard Christian Rock? The only Christian Rock I can think of are Michael W. Smith, Jars of Clay, and then the more modern POD and Switchfoot...all of which I like...

/tk

Album Oriented Rock, basically the radio format shorthand for the style of the classic rock era where album cuts were frequently played without as much regard to singles. More recently the phrase "melodic rock" has started to get some use, basically that's hard(er) rock with distinct vocals. In this instance, think somewhere along the lines somewhere between early Journey and maybe Rainbow or something.

Interesting vocal (the singer is actually a metro Atlanta music minister), to be honest I was a little worried after hearing the first track they released a couple of months back but the full project is a lot cleaner (and more traditional mainstream rock) vocally. Sort of Jimi Jamison (Survivor) in several places, although the Stryper-flavored track was one of the better performances here IMO.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Fergie Frederiksen has a great AOR album from last year "Happiness is the Road". Also Mecca's 'Undeniable' was cool too.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
Fergie Frederiksen has a great AOR album from last year "Happiness is the Road".

I'll admit I had to look up the name, I couldn't place it. Hadn't thought about LeRoux in quite a while.

If you liked this, be sure to check out last year's Kimball/Jamison project that paired the ex-Toto and ex-Survivor (now again current-Survivor) singers.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No one's heard it yet, of course, and frankly, I don't really care as I was never a big fan, but if the album cover is any indication of the quality and time put into the new Van Halen album.... this is going to be an uninspired stinker.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

as you know, I am a big fan...and I'm not holding my breath
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Ksyrup

They are playing an invite-only show for 250 people soon, so I assume we'll hear some comments about the new stuff after that show. Eddie Trunk was invited, and I'm sure he'll be tweeting about his impressions.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Pitchfork's Guide for upcoming hipster releases.

Pitchfork Guide to Upcoming Releases | News | Pitchfork

The only ones that seem interesting are The Big Pink, Cloud Nothings, Dr. Dog, and Sleigh Bells.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

looks like I'm no hipster
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Lamb of God: Resolution [Roadrunner]

"One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong"

That's the only one on that list I'll be getting. Maybe Andrew Bird, but the further away he gets from his Bowl of Fire days, the less interesting he gets.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Of course, 75% of that list I've never heard of, let alone heard.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Alabama Shakes are absolutely, positively legit.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Ksyrup

This album came out almost a year ago, but thanks to some year-end best-of lists, I just got around to hearing it a couple of weeks ago. Now I can't stop listening to it.

Ghost - Opus Eponymous

It's a terrific blend of late 60s/early 70s hard rock/early metal, clean vocals that evoke Blue Oyster Cult at its best, fused with lyrics about Satan. It's so damn catchy, I have absolutely no issue singing along with the chorus:

This chapel of ritual
Smells of dead human sacrifices
From the altar...

Great stuff.

http://
f
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Ksyrup

So it looks like the rumors were right about VH digging into the old demos for new songs, as the only "new" song they played last night was one from the Gene Simmons demos days, She's the Woman.

Although I guess it's a cop out for a new album to be mostly old unreleased songs, in a way I think it's a smart move, since there's likely no way they'd be able to capture the old sound 35 years later. This will at least ensure they sound a lot like they did in the 70s, which is probably for the best..

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-06-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Had this in my head today so I must listen to it...

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Coming up March 13th ...

Adrenaline Mob, the super group featuring Mike Portnoy, Russell Allen, Mike Orlando, Paul DiLeo and Rich Ward, will release its full-length debut, "Omertá", on March 13th via the newly formed Elm City Music in conjunction with EMI Label Services. The 11-song CD, which was produced by ADRENALINE MOB and mixed by Jay Ruston, includes a "blistering" reinterpretation of DURAN DURAN's classic "Come Undone" featuring guest vocals by Lzzy Hale of HALESTORM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Ksyrup

I heard the new single last night on XMLM and was underwhelmed. It was good, I guess, but pretty ordinary. But I don't listen to a lot of the newer mainstream metal bands, so maybe it's just not my cup o' tea. I'm underwhelmed by a lot of them.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I heard the new single last night on XMLM and was underwhelmed.

Undaunted ?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And, speaking of upcoming releases ...
Royal Bliss Waiting Out the Storm - Jan 24
Lacuna Coil Dark Adrenaline - Jan 24
Cavo Thick As Thieves - Feb 28
12 Stones Only Human - Mar 27
Shinedown Amaryllis - Mar 27

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Some 2012 possible LPs I'm looking forward to:

The Appleseed Cast
Bloc Party
The Dirty Projectors
Janelle Monáe (apparently talking of releasing 2 albums)
Mumford & Sons
Phoenix
The Shins - Port of Morrow
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
The xx
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Ksyrup

Quote:
Undaunted ?

Yes, that's it.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
Ksyrup

I'll definitely be getting the new Lamb of God in a couple of weeks.

After that, I c an't think of anything I'm looking forward to other than Storm Corrosion, due in April. That's the collaboration of Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth and Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Janelle Monáe (apparently talking of releasing 2 albums)
Mumford & Sons

Very much with you on Mumford and Sons. It's wait and see on Janelle's album though. I think part of what I disliked about her last one was it being a little too ambitious. There were songs that simply could have been left off the album and I would have been ok with it. Now she wants to do two albums? It just feels like when artist do two albums there's too much filler stuff going on.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
Ksyrup

Kool and the Gang will be opening for Van Halen on its tour. HA! That totally has to be Dave's idea.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
So it looks like the rumors were right about VH digging into the old demos for new songs, as the only "new" song they played last night was one from the Gene Simmons demos days, She's the Woman.

Although I guess it's a cop out for a new album to be mostly old unreleased songs, in a way I think it's a smart move, since there's likely no way they'd be able to capture the old sound 35 years later. This will at least ensure they sound a lot like they did in the 70s, which is probably for the best..

That's a pretty good tune though...or, at least has the potential to be one. I agree, it's weak but smart.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Desperately needs Michael Anthony's backing vox, though.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #29
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Desperately needs Michael Anthony's backing vox, though.

yeah, don't even get me started on the shafting he got
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Digging the Ghost and Alabama Shakes stuff. Both are going in the collection.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
Ksyrup

I have fallen hard for that Ghost disc. Damn.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #32
Ksyrup

Here's a live version of Ritual. LOL at the costumes. They're like a combination of Blue Oyster Cult, stoner rock, and Mercyful Fate.

http://

Here's something funny about the riff for that song, though. I've been listening to this album non-stop, and you know how when you wake up in the morning, you sometimes have a song immediately pop into your head and you just can't get rid of it? Well, this morning, it was Symphony of Destruction. And I don't own that album and haven't heard that song in ages. About 15 minutes ago, I listened to Ritual and went to the fridge right after, singing SoD. And then it hit me! HA!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Steven Wilson(Singer of Porcupine Tree). From his new album "Grace for Drowning"

Last edited by Qrusher14242 : 01-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, don't even get me started on the shafting he got

+1
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
Ksyrup

Love Grace For Drowning. Not a huge fan of the last 2 PT albums but GFD has me hopeful for the Åkerfeldt collaboration.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Disappointing news, but understandable.

Quote:
Rich Ward Steps Down As The Guitarist In Adrenaline Mob: When I was first asked about coming on board as the 2nd guitarist for the Adrenaline Mob project, it was understood that every member of the band had other band commitments, most of us having multiple active music projects. We all acknowledged that it would be a challenge to make it work, but we all agreed that the lineup's potential was worth making the necessary compromises in each of our schedules. In recent months it was made clear that after the release of the band's album, scheduling around my previous commitments wasn't going to be possible, and that it would be necessary to make Adrenaline Mob my sole priority. This basically meant that if I was to move forward with the Adrenaline Mob guys, I would only be available to continue on recording and touring with Fozzy, Stuck Mojo, and Walking With Kings, when the AMOB wasn't working. That's a commitment I just couldn't make. So, I contacted Mike Portnoy, and told him that I would need to step down and allow the band to find a guy who has the ability to fully commit to the project the way they need him to. His response was gracious and completely understanding. The experience of playing in a band with Portnoy was amazing. I've never met a more passionate, committed musician all my years, and always a complete gentlemen towards me. Playing with musicians of that calibre was an honor and a privilege, I hope they go on to the great things they deserve.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-06-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and first single from Van Halen is completely underwhelming

Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

(DLR also might win an all-time award for worst lip syncing)
Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nice find this morning, courtesy of the lower end of the Canadian Active Rock chart. One YouTube fan said it was like "Nickelback meets Slaughter" and I'm not sure I can describe it much better (although I might have mentioned early Def Leppard in there somewhere). If that doesn't scare you off, check out Hard Honey, from Calgary.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-10-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
and first single from Van Halen is completely underwhelming

Musically sounds awesome. Lyrically it's abysmal. They aren't even trying to sync the video with the music as I think some of it is done in reverse. This feels like they should just stick to Vegas, or do a casino tour at this point.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Musically sounds awesome. Lyrically it's abysmal. They aren't even trying to sync the video with the music as I think some of it is done in reverse. This feels like they should just stick to Vegas, or do a casino tour at this point.

I'd go with vocally sounds pretty good, musically it's okay, lyrically it's abysmal.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get past the replacement of Michael Anthony with what appears to be Chas Bono.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd go with vocally sounds pretty good, musically it's okay, lyrically it's abysmal.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get past the replacement of Michael Anthony with what appears to be Chas Bono.

Draft Dodger likes this post
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #43
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

crank this up...

...to 12
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't help but smile a little at the polarizing effect of the new VH single.
I think these consecutive responses on Revolver magazine's FB page sum it up nicely.

Rasmus Holmen Awful
2 minutes ago · Like
Joey Severance its a step in the right direction! \m/
2 minutes ago · Like
Jon Loveless Eh, it is what it is: mediocre lyrics (at best), okay musically, pretty fair vocally. It's also something I'm just not all that interested in, the Michael Anthony deal kind of killed it for me.
about a minute ago · Like
Kendra Jaggers Zito Wow. It's horrible.
Thomas S. Pauloni its awsum !

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-10-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

weird how that Jon Loveless guy had almost the same same reaction you did
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
weird how that Jon Loveless guy had almost the same same reaction you did

GMTA I guess
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

Some nice icelandic folk music

OF MONSTERS AND MEN
"LITTLE TALKS"

Last edited by korme : 01-10-2012 at 02:53 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #48
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't care what the kid looks like since I would most likely listen to it without video. Vocals are good but these days with studio work that's not saying a lot.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Vocals are good but these days with studio work that's not saying a lot.

Well, considering that DLR is 57 and considering the life he's led, I don't think the quality of the vocals could be taken for granted.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #50
whomario
Pro Starter

Nada Surf is getting a new Album out on the 23rd, first song :

nice song, hope the album is at least nearly as good as "Lucky"
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote