Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Computer Upgrade Advice

I currently have an older HP computer with 1GB of memory. It has a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ (whatever that means). 1.78 Ghz

I want to upgrade to 4GB of memory. This will cost me $125. From what I understand, if I am still running windows xp, it will only let me use 3.0 - 3.5 GB of that memory? Is that correct?

So do I need to upgrade to windows 7 so I have 64 bit and can use all 4 GB of memory? What's that cost for win7? About $100? So maybe $225 total with memory?

Or should I just buy a new computer with win7, 4gb, 3.0Ghz and a bigger hard drive all included for about $375? How much of a difference does the Ghz of a computer make?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

XP Pro is the one with the option for 64 bit. If it's just the home version, you get no real use out of 4GB with 32 bit. $125 for 4GB of RAM seems rather high, but I haven't priced any either. OK, just did a quick search on newegg and that's way high.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-14-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Well, this computer has 4 slots for memory and it is PC3200 184 pin:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178297

I guess I can get that down to $100 at new egg for 4GB.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 12-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yeah, 4GB doesn't buy you much at all in a 64 bit OS. Yes, you are limited to ~3.5GB with a 32 bit OS, but there is no real speed difference in the 64 bit OS. The main feature is being able to use >4GB of RAM.

If you are thinking of going to Windows 7, be aware that only the license upgrades from XP to 7. There is no upgrade install, it will be a new installation. At that point, you might be better off looking to buy a new computer. The price of the OS is heavily discounted for a new computer, and more than likely the new one will be multi-core, meaning 2-4 CPUs running at 3Ghz.

EDIT: depending on the computer, just because it has 4 slots doesn't necessarily mean that you can use 1GB chips in each. My aunt had an HP Pavilion that had similar specs to what you have mentioned, and it was limited to 512MB chips/2 GB total.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

On the win XP, i think this is the home version. It is just whatever came with the computer. So I would have to upgrade to win7?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If you already have two 512 MB sticks of RAM installed into the pc, I would purchase the 2GB kit, which would give you 3 GB total. (two sticks of 1 GB of ram because installing them in pairs will give you the best performance)

I always buy mine from Crucial, but that's up to you.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...Series&Cat=RAM

I wouldn't worry about upgrading to XP 64 bit or W7 64 bit because all that pc can handle is 4 GB and the extra GB wouldn't really be a big deal. It would only be able to use 3.5 GB tops and most of the time 3 GB is all it would see.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If you wanted 64 bit, then Windows 7 would be your best option. With either XP or Win 7, to get to 64 bit will require re-installation, an software upgrade isn't possible.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

OK, I'm learning on the run here. So I can upgrade to 3GB, keep Win XP, but I'd be running at 1.78 Ghz - about $100

Or buy a new computer wtih AMD Athlon™ II X2 (is that dual core?)...$375.

Just trying to weigh the cost differential against the performance upgrade...thoughts on that?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The 2GB upgrade is $62 from Crucial and I believe that includes free shipping. I would go with that unless you just want to get a faster pc for a specific reason.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Yep, that CPU is a dual core.

You'd be getting a much bigger performance upgrade with the new computer. There have been big strides in memory, video, and CPU performance in the past couple of years. Without knowing how your current computer runs, a best guess estimate is that just the memory upgrade will make a 5-15% improvement, a new computer would be a 30-50% improvement.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The 2GB upgrade is $62 from Crucial and I believe that includes free shipping. I would go with that unless you just want to get a faster pc for a specific reason.

Hmmm, even better. I could actually just try the added memory and if it doesn't work out as good as I would have liked, I could (a) try to return it and get a new computer or (b) just eat the $62 and get a new computer.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Usually opened memory can only be returned if it is defective. You'll need to keep that in mind. (that pretty much goes for most computer components)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yep, that CPU is a dual core.

You'd be getting a much bigger performance upgrade with the new computer. There have been big strides in memory, video, and CPU performance in the past couple of years. Without knowing how your current computer runs, a best guess estimate is that just the memory upgrade will make a 5-15% improvement, a new computer would be a 30-50% improvement.

...and more food for thought. It is always fun buying yourself a Xmas present too.

I appreciate the crash course and all the information guys. I'll have to sleep on it.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For a new pc, I'm an intel guy.. so I would go with an i3, i5 or i7 depending on what you want to spend.

The i5 is a damn good processor.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Hmmm, even better. I could actually just try the added memory and if it doesn't work out as good as I would have liked, I could (a) try to return it and get a new computer or (b) just eat the $62 and get a new computer.

Yeah, that's pretty cost effective. You should defnitely notice a difference, but it comes down to what you are using the pc to do.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I just bought a new GeForce 560TI NVIDIA card to replace an old ATI Radeon. I installed the card and loaded the drivers. When it rebooted, I got a message saying the old ATI Catalyst Center software was not compatible with new hardware. That's cool. So I look to uninstall or remove the old ATI drivers - but I can't find them. They don't show up under Device Manager - display (only the new NVIDIA card shows there). They don't appear in the Uninstall Program list from Control Panel.

Any other ideas where I might be able to delete the old drivers? My machine seems to have been slow/stuck a couple of times, and I wonder if having both sets of drivers loaded is causing part of the confusion.

Thanks for any help!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I just bought a new GeForce 560TI NVIDIA card to replace an old ATI Radeon. I installed the card and loaded the drivers. When it rebooted, I got a message saying the old ATI Catalyst Center software was not compatible with new hardware. That's cool. So I look to uninstall or remove the old ATI drivers - but I can't find them. They don't show up under Device Manager - display (only the new NVIDIA card shows there). They don't appear in the Uninstall Program list from Control Panel.

Any other ideas where I might be able to delete the old drivers? My machine seems to have been slow/stuck a couple of times, and I wonder if having both sets of drivers loaded is causing part of the confusion.

Thanks for any help!

Give this a try -- http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Dr...Version-3-2-0/

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Give this a try -- Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper
That looks like it did the trick. Thank you very much! Now to run a few games and make sure it all works as expected. (I have an older motherboard, so am/was worried it may not be compatible.)

My computer itself seems to just freeze up every now & then for a few seconds (was not doing it before the video card swap).
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote