Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
revrew
Team Chaplain

ZFL Draft - Year 1

Though it pains me to start a new thread before the last one hits 1,000 views, rumor is that DolphinFan, who owns the first pick, is about to make a move.

Continue draft coverage right here!
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.

revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
revrew
Team Chaplain

For reference, players still available are listed in bold. The others are off the board -- they've been drafted.

Quarterbacks:
A. 22 "The only reason the NFL passed this kid up is that they couldn't watch him on TV. But look for this SMU stud to light up the ZFL. He might go, no, he should go #1 overall."
B. 22 "He's no superstar, but he can step into the ZFL and start right away for some teams. He's young enough to develop, too. Look for a team in need of a QB to take a chance on him in the second round."
C. 24 "He got bounced around NFL Europe because he's got enough skill to make you hope, but little enough to break your heart. Might go third round."
D. 22 "The CFL rejected this guy for a reason. A hint of raw talent, but only the worst QB in the league could possibly lose his job to this guy."

Halfbacks:

E. 24 "Christian Okoye was called the Nigerian Nightmare, but NFL owners will have nightmares over passing up this Nigerian halfback. ZFL owners won't be so nearsighted. Look for a team in need of a back to take this one in the first round."
F. 22 "Who knew DePaul even had a football team? But their star halfback should be a solid contributor in the ZFL. Behind a good offensive line, he'll do well. 2nd round, perhaps?"
G. 23 "Boise State's workhorse didn't fare well in the CFL. He just didn't have the afterburners. But he runs downhill and should be able to help a team out, especially one that already has the pass established."

Fullbacks:
H. 21 "He was too big to be a back in the CFL, and couldn't catch well enough to be a fullback in the NFL. But a 6'2 255 back with speed to burn should rip right through the ZFL. Look for a team to gamble on Mike Alstott, Jr. here in the top few picks of round 1. It'll pay off, in touchdowns."
I. 21 "A young bruiser who can pound the ball in around the goal line, this USC tight end turned ZFL fullback will kick most teams' running game up a notch. There's no way he should fall beyond the second round."

Receivers:
J. 22 "The second receiver at Ohio State. Should be a solid possession guy, valuable to his QB. Look for him to go in the second unless someone really needs a WR."
K. 23 "He was good enough to get a look in the NFL. Good enough to start in the ZFL. But he won't be a star here, either."
L. 20 "He's a bit raw, but the potential is there. If this 20-year-old can learn the routes, he'll start in the ZFL."
M. 23 "Not much to brag about here, but he's got good hands. Sort of."

Offensive Guards:

N. 21 "Probably the best lineman in the draft. Nebraska sure has a way of churning them out, don't they? Look for him to go in the first few picks."
O. 21 "Big, powerful, bulldozer. Look out endzone--somebody's comin' behind this guy."
P. 21 "He helped plow the way for the Heisman winner, though his line-mates got more of the credit. Still, he's no slouch and worth a low second or third round pick."
Q. 20 "A decent contributor. He may have gone to a small school, but he has the mechanics to stick around."

Offensive Tackles:

R. 22 "Offensive tackle is an important spot, and that may make this Boston College Behemoth the top overall pick. 6'5 335, and not an ounce of fat on him. Yikes!"
S. 22 "Any talk of 'best lineman in the draft' had better not exclude this guy. At 6'6 315, don't let the fact he went to puny Wartburg College dissuade you. Might go top 5."
T. 21 "Strong and quick, but his footwork needs some work. He's got the body, but not quite the skills. Still, he could do the job. Late second...maybe?"
U. 21 "He helped his BYU team, but he might not help his ZFL squad much. Still, a team without quality at OT may look to him in the 3rd. Or maybe not."

Defensive Tackles:

V. 23 "The best defensive lineman in the draft. The Rhein Fire liked him a lot, but he wanted to come back home. He'll find a home in the ZFL for a long time."
W. 22 "He won't break up the pass much at 6'0 even, but he can plug the run. Would make a good companion for a team with another quality tackle. He can do the job."
X. 23 "Nobody ran on him when he played for UTEP, but things got harder in the NFL. The Cowboys couldn't use him, but the ZFL sure can. Mid to late second, I suppose."
Y. 22 "The skills are all there, but the attitude isn't. This guy was a problem at Purdue, and he'd be a gamble."
Z. 21 "He's young, and he has potential, but he has a long way to go, too. Not much help for someone who needs it now."
AA. 21 "The third round might take this young man off the board. He's not much now, but he's got a good upside."
BB. 21 "As was said before, 'He's young, and he has potential, but he has a long way to go, too.' -- Maybe even longer than the other guy."

Defensive Ends:

CC. 21 "An impressive young prospect from Central Florida, where he starred but didn't get much media attention. But look at his stats, look at his size, strength, speed. This guy is good."
DD. 22 "At 6'5 and 290, he's got the size to wreak havoc on the corner. His skills lack a bit, but his athleticism alone will make any team think twice about how to block him. Second rounder, likely."
EE. 22 "The other DE at Washington got a lot of attention, but this young man can play, too. A solid contributor. Look for him to go second round."
FF. 23 "A rookie burnout in NFL Europe, he's got the prowess, but none of the mechanics. He won't stay on a ZFL roster long, either."

Middlebackers:

GG. 20 "A no-college pup right out of the Marines, he's got the athleticism to star. But does he have the football know-how? If he does, he'll lead his team's defense."
HH. 21 "This young man led the Stanford Cardinal in tackles for 2 years. At 5'11 235, he may not have caught the eye of the NFL, but he'll be a great competitor in the ZFL."
II. 21 "All he does is make tackles. Sack numbers and pass defense numbers are low, but he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. A solid third, maybe even late second rounder for a ZFL squad."
JJ. 21 "The NFL looked over this feisty 'backer from LSU, but not without a second glance. He should be a capable, complementary player."
KK. 23 "His size got him into the CFL, his attitude got him out. He might develop, but I doubt it's worth the gamble."

Outsidebackers:
LL. 21 "At only 210 pounds, he's quite small for his position. Sure, he's scrappy, but his talent may be lacking, too. Not unless you believe in Rudy."
MM. 22 "Not big enough to take on a fullback, not fast enough to cover a receiver. Not tall enough to match a tight end, not good enough to play in the ZFL."

Cornerbacks:
NN. 23 "A good cover-guy, but he's had some attitude problems. A team needing some help or depth should take a look at him, but don't bet the farm."
OO. 23 "Not particularly fast, but physical and makes good decisions. I'd take him as a nickel back, if the ZFL had those."
PP. 21 "His INT numbers were high at Pitt, but he did poorly at the combine. Dropped right off the draft board. Still, if you need somebody late in the third..."

Safeties:
QQ. 23 "He'll need to improve his decision making if he wants to start. Right now, he's too much of a gambler. I'm not sure a ZFL team wants to gamble with him."

Kickers:
[/b]RR. 23 "This former Australian footballer has strength, speed, and toughness. He might just be tough enough to win a few for a ZFL squad."
SS. 21 "He was on American Gladiator once. Didn't do too bad. He's young, athletic, strong. Of course, he's not too bright. But then, since he went on Gladiator, I guess that goes without saying."
TT. 23 "Predicting the success of a ZFL kicker is tough. What do you look at? Still, this guy deserves a look. 6'4 225 and light on his feet."
UU. 22 "At 285, he's a bit heavy for a ZFL kicker. But he could knock a few off on strength contests."
VV. 21 "He's young and feisty, but a bit uncoordinated. No matter how much you like his attitude, I don't think you want to count on him in overtime."
WW. 22 "Only if ZFL overtimes start getting decided by chess matches."

Last edited by revrew : 05-06-2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #3
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Re: ZFL Draft - Year 1

Quote:
Originally posted by revrew
Though it pains me to start a new thread before the last one hits 1,000 views, rumor is that DolphinFan, who owns the first pick, is about to make a move.

Continue draft coverage right here!

Thanks revrew. Just a final notice. Any last minute offers for my #1 pick, please PM me sometime today. I will be making my decision this evening. Before the clock strikes midnight hopefully.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

*yawn*

Just waiting around to take my franchise [insert position here].

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I won't be here tongiht, but I will be here tommorrow morning.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm waiting anxiously for my chance to pick...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Ok boys, here we go.

"With the 1st pick in the ZFL draft year one, the Milwaukee Muscle Men..........
Trade their 1st round pick to digamma, GM of the Knoxville Rednecks for their 1st and 2nd round picks.

Knoxville is on the clock."

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

thought it would be helpful to copy the draft order from the other thread:

Draft order for all three rounds (unless trading alters it):
Milwaukee
LA
Little Rock
Omaha
Knoxville
Birmingham
Albuquerque
Portland
San Antonio
Chicago

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Note, digamma said he'd be out of town this weekend, so this probably won't get moving till Monday.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Why do I get the feeling this is gonna wind up being more insane than this years NFL draft.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Note, digamma said he'd be out of town this weekend, so this probably won't get moving till Monday.

that sucks
Old 04-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Can everyone either go pick a logo from here or design your own, or if you don't want to, I can try to pick the best one for your team. I'm getting a website going, and I would like to be able to put the team's logos in it. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ok, I have a preliminary website done. I still would like for the logos from all the teams, and I still have to add most of the stats, players, etc. But I do have most of the stuff down, so you'll know what goes where. And bear with me, this is the first site I've ever created that I sorta knew what I was doing.

The Link is ZFL Homepage

Edit: The pictures of landscape will be replaced with team's logos.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 04-27-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:42 AM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Triple dola

What kind of banner options do you guys want on this.
The site lets you pick, so I figure I'll let you guys decide.
here are the options:

Tower Ad
This option will place a scrolling tower ad on the top of your pages. The ad appears, then scrolls away, automatically!

Top of Page
Add the banner to the top of every page on your site.

Split Banner
This banner places a small banner at the top and bottom of every page on your site.

Framed Options
If your site contains framesets, or if you wish to display the banner in a frame at the top or bottom of your page.

Pop-Up
Choose to display a banner in a pop-up window from every page on your site. Tower ad option now available!
Old 04-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

None. I'll give you an account on my server and we can completely ignore evil ads.

PM me a username and a password, and I'll give you the details.

You have your choice of zfl.officepimps.com, zfl.hark.org, zfl.oddoneoutgames.com or zfl.coffeewars.org
Old 04-27-2003, 05:15 PM   #16
revrew
Team Chaplain

You guys are sooo cool. Waytogo illini!
Old 04-27-2003, 05:53 PM   #17
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

LA Stars:

Old 04-27-2003, 08:02 PM   #18
revrew
Team Chaplain

Kiper's Official Draft Predictions:
It's always risky stepping out and predicting a draft, even the first round, when everything seems so clear. But if Mel Kiper were in the war room for each of these teams, this is probably how the first round would pan out...

Knoxville - "They traded up to get a QB, and QB they shall get. Added to an already potent running game, QB A. should push Knoxville up into the elite teams of the league."

L.A. - "They need an OT, and they will have their pick of two superstars. I'm guessing they go with R. because of his superior size and strength."

Little Rock - "Little Rock will be forced to make some tough decisions, but in need of an Offensive Guard, and with the top guard on the board, I've got to think Little Rock goes with OG N."

Omaha (Fargo) - "The Fighting crawfish have all kinds of decisions they could make here. Of all the picks thus far, guessing this one is a crap shoot. Do they try to help their woeful D? Do they pick up a much needed halfback? Given the philosophy that you take the best talent available, I'd wager they pick up Offensive Tackle S."

Milwaukee - "The Muscle Men made a great trade (though I wonder if they got enough for that top pick), which leaves them right where they want in the running back wars. If Omaha takes the HB, then Milwaukee here will go with stud fullback H. But since I think Omaha goes O-line, Milwaukee will be thrilled to pick up the Halfback they've been coveting, E."

Birmingham - "Though the talent pool is at the offensive side, Birmingham may be tempted to go D here. Rumor from inside the Olympian camp is that GM tucker is disgruntled with current QB Zeus. What will it be? They will take Defensive Tackle V."

Albuquerque - "The Isotopes would like some improvement at halfback, but this spot is a bit high for HB F. They will have to choose between an upgrade to superstar possibility FB H., or filling a need with the top Defensive End, CC. If they go with need, look for CC to fall here."

Portland - "Portland is a well-rounded team. They may be the hardest to predict. But looking at the scouting reports, I'd be tempted to think they go with Offensive Guard, O."

San Antonio - "The Margarita defense is awfully long in the tooth, so Defensive Tackle, W. will head south to the Alamo."

Chicago - "Given prior predictions, this leaves Fullback phenom H. falling to Chicago. If that happens, G.M. illini will break out the bubbly. And if H. fills in to help out the Steele brothers, Chicago will have an offense nearly as potent as their defense. Can you say 'Dynasty'?"

(edited before the first pick was made, because I wrote down the wrong inital--RR)

Last edited by revrew : 04-28-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

For Immediate Release - Rare Interview With Portland Owner Coffee Warlord

Q: "Mr. Warlord, can you give us any insight as to your plans with this draft?"

A: "No."

Q: "Hmm. Can you say which side of the ball you'll be looking to upgrade?"

A: "Yes."

Q: "That being?"

A: "Both sides. All sides. We are all."

Q: "....wait a minute."

A: "We wait forever."

Q: "Damn you Portland! Stop sending Kosh to do your interviews"

--- end interview ---
Old 04-27-2003, 10:04 PM   #20
tucker342
Pro Starter

Birmingham Olympians-

Old 04-27-2003, 10:06 PM   #21
tucker342
Pro Starter

nevermind, I found a better one

Old 04-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #22
revrew
Team Chaplain

Does revrew get one?

Old 04-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #23
NevStar
High School Varsity

This'll work until I find something better:

Old 04-28-2003, 11:21 AM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

The Knoxville Rednecks are back in town and will take quarterback A. Sorry for the delay.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:23 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We've got a pick in! Yay!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #26
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Your official colors of the Portland Sea Biscuits is black, with purple trim.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:32 AM   #27
digamma
Torchbearer

This should work for a Redneck.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:00 PM   #28
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here is an actual redneck helmet:
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:05 PM   #29
Swaggs
Coordinator

For the Slick Willies:

Old 04-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #30
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks, Swaggs. I'll take it.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #31
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quarterback A. (as of yet unnamed) has been selected.

Marmel, You're on the clock with L.A.!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #32
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

LA drafts that OT, R.

His new name is Freddie Prinze Jr.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:54 PM   #33
digamma
Torchbearer

QB A. shall be called "Thumbless" Bo Jackson.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:40 AM   #34
revrew
Team Chaplain

Pick #1 - QB "Thumbless" Bo Jackson
Pick #2 - OT OT Freddie Prinze, Jr.

With the third overall pick, Little Rock (swaggs sent me his draft list) selects Offensive Tackle, S.

Fargo, you're on the clock...
Old 04-29-2003, 10:15 AM   #35
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Fargo selects Halfback E...

His name is Glutton For Punishment

Anyone looking to acquire him, it will take at least your 1st and 3rd pick or a RB or D player instead of the third pick. PM if interested.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

#1 - QB 'Thumbless' Bo Jackson (Knoxville)
#2 - OT Freddie Prinze, Jr. (Los Angeles)
#3 - OT Keith "Slap" Slapinski (Little Rock)
#4 - RB Glutton for Punishment (Fargo)
#5 - FB Bulldozer (Milwaukee)
#6 - DE Atlantis (Birmingham)
#7 - DT Nelson "The Hammer" Muntz (Alberquerque)
#8 - OG Tim the Troll (Portland)
#9 - DT Stopped for a Loss (San Antonio)

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-30-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:15 AM   #37
Swaggs
Coordinator

At a press conference held early this morning, Little Rock owner Swaggs flew in the Slick Willies' first ever amateur draft pick, mammoth OT Keith "Slap" Slapinski.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #38
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Which letter is he?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #39
Swaggs
Coordinator

Slapinski is also known as OT S.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:45 PM   #40
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Slapinski? The defense is going to slap him around Swaggs.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Slapinski? The defense is going to slap him around Swaggs.

Great, now I have to take crap from one of the two teams that are worse than me?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I am moving ahead of you this season. I expect to be in the middle of the pack in season 2.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So who's on the clock?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #44
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

With the 5th pick in the 1st round, the Milwaukee Muscle Men select: Fullback H, age 21, he will be called, "Bulldozer."

Old 04-29-2003, 09:57 PM   #45
tucker342
Pro Starter

With the 6th pick- Birmingham selects Defensive End CC

Atlantis
Old 04-30-2003, 03:51 AM   #46
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:52 AM   #47
NevStar
High School Varsity

With the 7th pick,

The Isotopes select DT V - Nelson "The Hammer" Muntz

(Incidentally, we're looking to trade up in the 2nd round, if anyone's interested)

Portland is on the clock
Old 04-30-2003, 10:13 AM   #48
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

With the 8th pick in the 1st round, the Portland Sea Biscuits select Tim the Troll, Offensive Guard, Nebraska. (N)
Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 AM   #49
revrew
Team Chaplain

Thanks, Coffee, for keeping the running list of picks! Nice draft, guys. Some quality guys are dropping through, but others are being snatched up just where they should be. If I were illinifan, I would have chewed all my fingernails off by now.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #50
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm surprised Tim the Troll fell that far in the first round, really. Wasn't our first choice, but he'll certainly do. Tim and Erik will now rule the line!