Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Textbooks on the Kindle?

Looking for some opinions from those who have tried it.

How do you feel about textbooks on the Kindle? I am starting up an MBA program here in January and I'm trying to decide whether I go the Kindle route for my books or not. I have some... hesitation... about using the Kindle, but it's all conjecture.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 12-14-2011 at 07:56 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
darkenigma510
n00b

I prefer casual reading on a kindle but would prefer hardcopy books for reference materials. Also, I know PDFs come out okay on the Kindle DX...do the smaller Kindles handle them ok?
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No experience with it, but I anticipate it being what my son will be using a couple of years from now (based on conversations with key members of the faculty on their textbook advisory board). Apparently the cost savings are ridiculous & every book they're currently using (or planning to soon use) are available already.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
darkenigma510
n00b

Funny enough, iPad might be better for textbooks. You can see the pictures/graphs better and hyperlinks work well. I can see lots of e-textbooks being more geared towards iPad applications than the kindle.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Undergrad admittedly...

The books I looked at were not cheap enough to justify springing for the e copy. You can't sell it back, either, which makes it even less worthwhile. My wife did buy a few ebooks from cengage brain, and I thought those did seem to be worthwhile in the cost basis. These were masters of education type books.

It probably comes down to your personal preference. I think it is way easier to flip through a large text cause you can look at multiple pages at the same time. I Don't know whether you'd be looking at a bunch of charts doing an MBA.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Rizon
Pro Starter

Yeah, I only use the Kindle for free games. As for my school books, I can get them cheaper elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Undergrad admittedly...

The books I looked at were not cheap enough to justify springing for the e copy. You can't sell it back, either, which makes it even less worthwhile. My wife did buy a few ebooks from cengage brain, and I thought those did seem to be worthwhile in the cost basis. These were masters of education type books.

It probably comes down to your personal preference. I think it is way easier to flip through a large text cause you can look at multiple pages at the same time. I Don't know whether you'd be looking at a bunch of charts doing an MBA.

I'm just starting out, and haven't actually tried using a textbook in iPad only format. But this has been my thought, that being able to flip back and forth easily between a few sections, look at a table in the back at the same time as something in the front, I think the physical format is still worth it. I love using the iPad for things like PDFs and documents, and I can bookmark and highlight and do all kinds of cool things. But so far I haven't felt like it worked to switch over with textbooks. I'm interested to hear if there's anyone who has and how they felt about it. (Seconded on the price as well, I can almost always find the book for about the same as the rental fee. It would be nice to not have to carry the books around though).
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This thread is making me feel old. Haven't touched a textbook in 15 years.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
Funny enough, iPad might be better for textbooks. You can see the pictures/graphs better and hyperlinks work well. I can see lots of e-textbooks being more geared towards iPad applications than the kindle.

Your post made me realize that I was lumping all the various e-readers into a single group, basically letting the Kindle brand name represent them all. In the case I mentioned, Kindle's and iPad's were both being considered as options for the high school & middle school students that would be affected. The big discussion (locally) at this point seems to be about what & when to make the switch, rather than whether to make the switch.

It's a different environment than what the original post was about, I answered just to indicate that if it's something being looked at closely for even some middle schools then it's probably a very reasonable idea for students seeking an MBA.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Get an iPad.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Your post made me realize that I was lumping all the various e-readers into a single group, basically letting the Kindle brand name represent them all. In the case I mentioned, Kindle's and iPad's were both being considered as options for the high school & middle school students that would be affected. The big discussion (locally) at this point seems to be about what & when to make the switch, rather than whether to make the switch.

It's a different environment than what the original post was about, I answered just to indicate that if it's something being looked at closely for even some middle schools then it's probably a very reasonable idea for students seeking an MBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Get an iPad.

iPad certainly seems better suited here. However, the cost of an iPad is a bit prohibitive for me right now. And you're not really saving all that much on the ebooks to make up for that cost either.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
iPad certainly seems better suited here. However, the cost of an iPad is a bit prohibitive for me right now. And you're not really saving all that much on the ebooks to make up for that cost either.

FWIW -- and I suspect that might be fairly little since the situations are quite different -- the quotes & estimates our school got had the break even coming at about two years. Literally getting all e-textbooks for about $60-$80/yr per student, versus around $300/yr per student for the hard copies.

I imagine the key here might be quantity purchasing and/or institutional purchasing versus what individual students would face in a college environment.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the cost of an iPad wouldn't make it up. $79 or $99 could be, but not $500. Even the $300 I paid on a refurb Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wouldn't really make it so that you were paying less in the long run, I'd imagine.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW -- and I suspect that might be fairly little since the situations are quite different -- the quotes & estimates our school got had the break even coming at about two years. Literally getting all e-textbooks for about $60-$80/yr per student, versus around $300/yr per student for the hard copies.

I imagine the key here might be quantity purchasing and/or institutional purchasing versus what individual students would face in a college environment.

Yeah.. because just looking at one book... it's $100 new on amazon or $63 for the kindle version. And that's not counting whatever I could get for selling it back.

Quote: