Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Sports Guy - NBA Playoff Edition...

Here it is My Friends.. Great Stuff..

"...One other Lakers note, and I know it has been mentioned elsewhere, but this was my first chance to write about it: What about the NBA changing the playoff rules during the season, changing the first round from five games to seven?

Was that unbelievable? I know they were desperate to get at least one seven-game series with the Lakers, who were floundering at the time, but really ... do you have to be that shameless? That was the equivalent of the Masters Committee watching Tiger shoot a 77 on Day One, then announcing that the cut has been expanded to included every player that finishes plus-5 or lower after two rounds. I can't believe that happened. What other sport changes their playoff rules during the season???? And nobody even batted an eyelash. Oh, and you don't think Chicago or New York is getting LeBron James? Please.

I mentioned this on a Thread earlier in the season when this was announced and Laker Fans "pooh-poohed" the idea. I still stand firm when I say that it is more than just a coincidence that this rule was put in place when it was..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-24-2003 at 01:42 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Hah, that's a great article, I love it. Agree with most of what he said as well.

Although, I definitely don't see the Sixers making the finals, could happen I guess, I doubt it though. I guess that's a moot point anyhow, as the Western Finals will be the championship again this year.

That's actually intriguing about the change to the first round, I was really shocked when they changed it halfway through the season, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it was because of the Lakers sucking, but I do think something strange was happening, probably in the TV deal department.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sports Guy is always pretty fun to read even with his Boston-bias. Which is cool considering most coastal-centric guys are typically boring to the half of us who don't give a rats ass about those areas.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
heybrad
Norm!!!

The flaw in the argument regarding this rule being changed for the Lakers is this. If you've watched the Lakers this year, you would know that they only provide maximum effort when maximum effort is absolutely needed. Look at their series so far. Game1, Its important to get home court advantage. Everybody on the Lakers is flying around, the offense is running smooth... Bingo, they win. Game 2 rolls around and the Lakers defense takes a snooze. It wouldnt matter if it were a 5 game series or 7 game series. That wouldnt affect the Lakers chances. Are you suggesting that if it were a 5 game series, Minnesota suddenly would be a huge favorite?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
tucker342
Pro Starter

the Sports Guy is really funny.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote