Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Carmelo Anthony

According to my sources, Carmelo Anthony is going to declare for the draft at 2pm today.

Not much of a surprise, but you heard it here first!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

looks like tj is gone too
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm sad on both accounts...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Carmelo improved so much in the sense that he now knows what it takes to play basketball at such a high level. It would be so great to see him play one more year with the experience under his belt and 1 more year of maturation.

But, I cannot blame him in the least for bolting to the NBA. He brought a title to syracuse, what more could a fan ask for.

As for TJ, again, it would be great to see him return and see if he could take Texas to that next level. Oh well. I'll probably never see these two kids play another entire basketball game again. I just cannot watch an NBA game.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

But, in all honesty, if you are essentially assured that you are a top 3 pick (Anthony) or a lottery pick (Ford), why would you come back for a year and risk injury?

As much as I would love to see the top players stay in school (imagine Arizona last season if Gilbert Arenas had stayed ), I also tend to take a practical view of this. If you are a guaranteed lottery or mid first round pick and leave early, you get your first contract (3-4 years) when you are 20 to 21 years old. That puts you in a great situation to get atleast two more big money deals (24-25 and 31-32). Compare that with a guy that stays all four years and gets his first deal as a 24-year old. He will be 27-28 when that deal ends, so the odds that he gets two more big-money contracts is pretty low.

Arlie

Last edited by Arles : 04-24-2003 at 12:13 PM.
Arles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Arlie, no doubt about what you are saying, but as a Syracuse fan myself, we were holding out some hope based on a few facts:

1) Carmelo was a lottery pick out of high school but passed that up

2) He is still only 18 years old, so if he waited 1 more year, he would only be 19 entering the draft, again as a top 2 or 3 pick.

3) Michael Jordan told Carmelo to stay one more year, basically because the bulk of Nike money is going to go to Lebron this year, and if Carmelo comes out next year, the bulk would go to him.

4) His mother wanted him to return, and he said a few times he wanted to return, but would have to think about it.

His was a unique situation, which is why there was some hope he would stay.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #7
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
what more could a fan ask for.

Another title instead of playing selfish ball for a team that no one cares about like the Nuggets?

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
Arles
Grey Dog Software

A great comparison for Anthony is Stephon Marbury (both would leave after their freshman seasons). He got a high draft pick contract (3-years) with Minnesota. Then, he left for a big deal with New Jersey and has set himself up for another huge contract from Phoenix when his current deal ends after next season. If he would have stayed, he might have cost himself one of those big contracts.

Carmelo won the title, what else is there for him to accomplish? It's not like he's going to stay 4 years and graduate, so the mother comment doesn't mean much. If he goes pro, Nike, Addidas, or some other big Shoe company will throw millions at him, regardless of when he leaves.

And, if he's going to be the No. 2 or 3 pick now (as the consensus is), why go back for another year? He could risk not only injury, but the chance of putting up worse numbers as teams gameplan primarily for him after his huge successful season. If you are honest and impartial, I can't see any reason to tell Carmelo to stay in school another year.

Arlie
Old 04-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Have any of you read the comments by Mike Dunleavey Jr.? He basicly said that coming out was the best decision he could have made. He said the NBA was a completely different world than college ball and the only thing he could have accomplished the next season at Duke would be to pick up more habits he would have to later change.

If you have the talent for it, you need to go to the NBA. There is very little reason financially or career wise which makes sense to stay. The only reason I can think of would be a maturity factor, something both Melo and TJ already have.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

TJ will be a horrible pro..IMHO...you heard it here first

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't think he'll be terrible, but it will take him some time to adjust and to develop a jumper. He won't be a star, but I think he could be a decent starter/good backup PG.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:18 PM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

I think TJ will be fine. I think he's kind of like AI in the fact he's so fast, he'll cause problems regardless of the other factors in his game. Still, you would like to see him be about 3 inches taller. . .

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:22 PM   #13
bamcgee
High School JV

I agree.

he's a gifted passer and strong leader with some quickness, but otherwise he's a below-average height point guard with little range on his jumper. Average defender who will likely get abused by bigger, stronger guards like Payton, at least at the start.

Last edited by bamcgee : 04-24-2003 at 02:23 PM.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:36 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

I always thought the purpose of college was to make sure it prepares you for career in life. Seems Carmello proved what he needed to do and will get a contract. Thus, he took full advantage of college
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:56 PM   #15
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

TJ, reminds me a bit of jamaal tinsley... not a great jumper, but can throw some great passes... should be a fine pro.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote