Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
DougW
High School Varsity

Tim Tebow ..

Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. He's a hard worker, a student of the game, a natural born leader and most of all a WINNER! It takes time and he'll be nice

Listened to Merril Hoge today on [SportsCenter] and he was just blasting Tebow. The man hasn't even play a full season and its only his 2nd year in.

Guys get on that TV and act like they was all WORLD when they played. How bout encouraging him and wishing him the best instead of hating!!

Just saying.

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

There are plenty of guys who are natural leaders, who work hard and are students of the game, they just didn't get blown by the national media. None of that makes Tebow special. His inability to read a defense, his awkward throwing motion and his general lack of NFL translatable skills are what will make him a flop.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hey LeBron!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hey LeBron!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Blackadar
Retired

Kyle Orton is better.

It's quite possible that Kyle Orton will always be better.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
rowech
Pro Starter

Kyle Orton has to wonder what he did to piss everyone off. He's not spectacular but he will certainly be better than Tebow and is surely a starting NFL QB.

Tebow's issue is that he was a #1 pick when he had no business being a #1 pick and because of that, he's doomed to be always viewed as a failure. Had he been drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds where he belonged we would look at anything he does a positive.

Great kid but he's not destined for any long term success in the NFL.

Last edited by rowech : 08-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Tebow can go back to intramurals if he's looking for encouragement and well wishes. He will never live up to the hype.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Although they had different skill sets in college and weaknesses that (will, in the case of Tebow) cause(d) them to fail in the NFL, Tebow is basically Danny Wuerffel with a rock star personality and a Y2K hype machine. And I'm assuming he looks better in underwear. And like Wuerffel, I wish he was on the Saints instead of the Broncos.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

unfortunately living up to the hype surrounding him would be impossible unless he truly is the next John Elway.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Kyle Orton has never been respected. He was winning games when he was in Chicago and they shipped him off to Denver for Cutler. He was miles better than Cutler last year. Now, Denver doesn't want him because of Tebow.

I would take him on the Redskins.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Tebow can go back to intramurals if he's looking for encouragement and well wishes. He will never live up to the hype.

Hype? Seems hard to justify that description when so much time & energy has been invested in ripping him at every turn.

He may never live up to expectations for fans who think he's a franchise savior, but I'm not sure how many of those there are.

Should he have been a first round pick? Questionable IMO (for anyone other than Jacksonville perhaps), since the standard for that seems to be "perennial all-pro" or something. Is he an NFL caliber QB? I'm pretty sure that's a yes. Can you ultimately win a SB with him as the starter? I'd also say that's a yes, with the right supporting cast & the right bounces.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tebow.jpg (15.0 KB, 355 views)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

I cant wait for Tebow. He will struggle this seasob and all the naysayers will "See, he's terrible." But in the long run, I believe he will succeed. And he has Elways blessing. And we know Elway was one of the greatest ever. I tend to listen to Elway then anyone else.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I cant wait for Tebow. He will struggle this seasob and all the naysayers will "See, he's terrible." But in the long run, I believe he will succeed. And he has Elways blessing. And we know Elway was one of the greatest ever. I tend to listen to Elway then anyone else.

Why? Just because someone is an amazing talent themselves doesn't mean they are a great judge of talent. Charolette Bobcats anyone?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

I wasn't a Tebow fan in college, but I don't know...for some reason I think he'll end up being pretty successful on the NFL level eventually. Obviously his surrounding cast will be crucial.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tebow was my major fantasy sleeper this year. Oh well
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

To clarify... I don't think he would win much this year. But he should be good for >250 yards passing, 50 yards rushing and 2-3 Tds at least half of the time.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

Did Elway buy his way into the Broncos like Jordan with the Bobcats? Im not sure.

But I dont think Elway was hired because he is John Elway. I hope, and maybe Im wrong, that he was hired because he can judge talent.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hopefully whoever hired him was a good judge of judges of talent.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't think he was that bad last year as a rookie. Sure he has flaws, but some of the shit Hoge was calling him out for doesn't seem fair for a guy who has started a couple games.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Hopefully whoever hired him was a good judge of judges of talent.

I think that's a stretch. After all, that would mean whoever hired that guy was a good judge of how well someone could judge another persons ability to judge talent. Just seems like a lot to ask of that guy.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Kyle Orton reminds me a lot of Trent Dilfer. A better than average quarterback that no one respects because he isn't flashy or will ever be a headliner. Dilfer won a Super Bowl and was still shipped out of Baltimore. Kyle has a winning record for his career and could easily be a playoff quarterback in the right situation. He's no Rodgers or Manning, but there's several teams that would love to have him leading their team.

Tebow? Who knows. Vince Young doesn't impress me as a quarterback but he has shown an ability to win. Maybe Tebow can do that. But Denver doesn't have the talent Tennessee did. They are probably the worst team in that division. He would have to be very good to make Denver respectable quickly.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #23
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Kyle Orton reminds me a lot of Trent Dilfer. A better than average quarterback that no one respects because he isn't flashy or will ever be a headliner. Dilfer won a Super Bowl and was still shipped out of Baltimore. Kyle has a winning record for his career and could easily be a playoff quarterback in the right situation. He's no Rodgers or Manning, but there's several teams that would love to have him leading their team.

Tebow? Who knows. Vince Young doesn't impress me as a quarterback but he has shown an ability to win. Maybe Tebow can do that. But Denver doesn't have the talent Tennessee did. They are probably the worst team in that division. He would have to be very good to make Denver respectable quickly.

Dilfer better than average? He completed 55% of his passes in his career and never completed 60% in a season. He also threw more interceptions than TDs.

If that's better than average what the hell is average?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
bronconick
College Starter

He's got a slow release, isn't terribly accurate, and thinks he can take on NFL front 7's head on.

What could possibly go wrong?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
JediKooter
Coordinator

I don't care who the quarterback for the Broncos is as long as the team isn't any good.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
Ksyrup

Quote:

I don't believe he has Elway's blessing. I think the Broncos front office is praying he's good because of the marketing potential, but I don't believe Elway really thinks he can succeed. I think the public comments are solely because the fans are so much on Tebow's side, he's basically in a no-win situation if he says anything else.

I think Tebow has been so underwhelming in camp, that the Broncos decided to keep Orton. I don't necessarily believe that a deal "fell through." I think it's more likely that when they realized Tebow was having a hard time keeping pace with Brady F'n Quinn, the idea of just throwing him out there this season as the #1 was out of the question.

Personally, I wish they'd just get the grand experiment over with so we can move on, rather than dragging it out another 2-3 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #27
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I like Tebow, think he's a decent kid who works hard. It's not his fault Denver did a major reach by taking him in round 1.

But... can he succeed consistently in the NFL with the looping delivery and poor accuracy?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Tebow will succeed because he has God on his side.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Did Elway buy his way into the Broncos like Jordan with the Bobcats? Im not sure.

How they got into their role doesn't matter. As pure talent evaluators just because they were great players doesn't mean they have an eye for talent
Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. He's a hard worker, a student of the game, a natural born leader and most of all a WINNER! It takes time and he'll be nice

Listened to Merril Hoge today on [SportsCenter] and he was just blasting Tebow. The man hasn't even play a full season and its only his 2nd year in.

Guys get on that TV and act like they was all WORLD when they played. How bout encouraging him and wishing him the best instead of hating!!

Just saying.
Are these your words, or did you copy and paste them from someplace else? I ask because you have "SportsCenter" in brackets, as if you are substituting it in place of a different word.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Are these your words, or did you copy and paste them from someplace else? I ask because you have "SportsCenter" in brackets, as if you are substituting it in place of a different word.

It's a tweet from LeBron
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #32
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Lebron James' twitter. That's why Lathum said "Hey Lebron" at post 3 or so

Last edited by DougW : 08-04-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarity.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
RedKingGold
College Starter

I just don't understand the hate for this guy.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #35
Galaril
Pro Starter

Tebow and this situation some what reminds me when Flutie came out in 84 more than Vince Young. I also think if we endures the criticism for decade he will have some success like Flutie when he is older.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Tebow and this situation some what reminds me when Flutie came out in 84 more than Vince Young. I also think if we endures the criticism for decade he will have some success like Flutie when he is older.

The Flutie comparison crossed my mind earlier as well.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
TRO
College Prospect

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work as hard."

I'm tired of hearing him say this in his stupid commercial. He apparently never worked hard at knowing the meaning of redundancy.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if he'll ever be a starting QB, but I think Tebow could be one of the best backups in the league. Who here wouldn't want him as their backup? He's going to work hard, he's going to be prepared, and he's going to give you something a little different that the defense isn't prepared for if he comes in. Not to mention you can script some short yardage and goalline plays for him too.

Ultimately I think being a top backup will be his calling, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on a defensive team where he can be a guy who manages a game, won't turn it over, and will give you a few big plays with his legs. I don't think he's much worse than a guy like Mark Sanchez.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #39
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I just don't understand the hate for this guy.

I am a Nole. I am predisposed to not liking him, and that's before you take his questionable talents into consideration.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #40
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I am a Nole. I am predisposed to not liking him, and that's before you take his questionable talents into consideration.

Rank in order of your personal hatred: Tebow, Spurrier, Wuerrfel, Meyer, the mascot.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #41
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Personally, I wish they'd just get the grand experiment over with so we can move on, rather than dragging it out another 2-3 years.

I think if he has any chance at being a decent starter in the NFL...he needs to be a backup for the next 2-3 years.

This guy needs reps & consistency under a decent OC so he can learn a system and step forward at some point. I think with all he has to learn and change from his college game, he really needs to sit for at least this season. A couple of cleanup jobs here & there, sure. But not starting until he's shown some real consistency. Otherwise, I think he loses his confidence along the way...regardless of how much faith he has.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How they got into their role doesn't matter. As pure talent evaluators just because they were great players doesn't mean they have an eye for talent

Jerry West is the counter argument
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kevin McHale
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #44
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Dilfer better than average? He completed 55% of his passes in his career and never completed 60% in a season. He also threw more interceptions than TDs.

If that's better than average what the hell is average?

Admittedly bad his first 3 years (including a 4 td, 18 int year), Dilfer went on a stretch with good stats, 2:1 TD to Int ratio, and a 14-4 record over a two year run. He had some productivity. Then, got bounced around and was never the same.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #45
DougW
High School Varsity

This thread didn't turn out anything like I thought it would. I was going for a Lebron vs. Hoge. I'll be ok though, this was better.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #46
britrock88
Pro Starter

Orton is way better than Dilfer ever was. It's just that the Bears mismanaged him (benching him after a 10-5 year), and then he grew that wispy beard...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #47
Danny
Head Coach

Dilfer was not an average quarterback. He was a serviceable one who didn't kill the team and allowed a great defense to bring a title to Baltimore. Also, the NFL game has changed since then. With the rule changes that place more of an emphasis on throwing the ball, It's going to be more difficult for a Baltimore type team to win the super bowl. The Jets would probably be the closest in today's NFL, and so far they have choked their chances. As an example, look at the last 5 years of superbowl QB's (Grossman being the one exception on a fantastic bears defense, but they got thumped in the big game minus the Hester return).

Rodgers over Roethlisberger
Brees over P Manning
Roethlisberger over Warner
E Manning over Brady
Manning over Grossman
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #48
Danny
Head Coach

On the Tebow subject, I don't understand the hate for him either. He works hard, seems like a great teammate etc... That said, if he is going to be a successful NFL QB, he needs time to develop and the Broncos would be wise to keep Orton and let Tebow try and develop for another year or two. Some guys like Ryan and Flacco are exceptions, but people are really going overboard with their expectations for young QB's.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

I agree he needs a year to develop. The Broncos look to be bad this year, regardless of who starts at QB. But I think Tebow could weather a couple bad years and come out ok. Kind of like Aikman did. Now, before anyone thinks I am comparing Tebow to Aikman, Im not. But the situations may be somewhat similar.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #50
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Orton is way better than Dilfer ever was. It's just that the Bears mismanaged him (benching him after a 10-5 year), and then he grew that wispy beard...

Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote