Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
couriers

QoTM Removal Requests

"Confucius say Crowded elevator smell different to midget."

I don't care who said this originally or who submitted it but I have a friend who is short and finds the use of the word "midget" very offensive. I would like this removed on his behalf.

Old 04-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

get rid of the kleenex one. we've all seen it. maybe it'll help randomize them a bit more.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:28 PM   #3
Daimyo
College Starter

Where is that "trying too hard" smiley when you need it?

EDIT: Instead of making up stupid shit to try to test the system, why not just give it a chance and see if it works as intended. Save everyone the trouble until such time when/if it is really warranted.

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-22-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Buzzbee
College Starter

couriers - If you are serious about this (which I question) do as Daimyo suggested and PM John Galt and see what happens.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
couriers

I am serious about this quote. I didn't PM John yet because he has had his plate full up to this point. Besides that I thought that maybe would could all contribute and help get a decent list together instead of hitting him with a hundred PMs.

Why is this interpreted as "trying too hard" and not being serious?

This is not a joke but rather a serious and innocent attempt at helping the system work. If certain people can't see that then I can't help them with that problem.

BTW, thanks for giving me the benifit of the doubt people. It is highly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
couriers

DOLA:

The more I think about it the more upset I become at the fact that others have been allowed to voice their distain concerning QoTMs but when I do it then it is made a joke of and I in turn become the victim of insults.

Just because I have voiced my opinion against QoTM and QoTM moderation doesn't make my suggestions about what is offensive any less important than anyone else’s.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:49 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Fine. Change it to "Confucius say Crowded elevator smell different to little guy with no sense of humor."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
couriers

So now that my friend, who I like to have included in this board, finds the word "midget" offensive he now has no sense of humor?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Given your animated opposition to the QOTM moderation process, it is an easy jump (whether fair or not) to assume that you are posting this thread as a grand-standing snipe at the system.

In truth, that's how I read it as well. Though I apologize if you are being sincere, couriers, the circumstantial evidence is heavily against you.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

Maybe if you had followed protocal and PMed the request you would be taken serious. BTW... does this "friend" actually visit the forum?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Re: QoTM Removal Requests

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
"Confucius say Crowded elevator smell different to midget."

I don't care who said this originally or who submitted it but I have a friend who is short and finds the use of the word "midget" very offensive. I would like this removed on his behalf.

Okay, honestly, you can't see the humor in your request? It's not so easy to tell intent here. Plenty of posters use jokes and do not put a smiley on it, so we are still left to come to our own conclusions.

Also, does your friend post or visit here? If he is so offended, why does he not post it jimself? Or has he sent a PM to Galt? I doubt this last, though, because then I figure you would not post this at all.

IMO, the obvious slur at Chinese people speaking English is more offensive than the midget reference. After all, midget is a legitimate reference to a person of stunted growth, and, funny or not, I would imagine such a person would find a stay on a crowded elevator to be, umm, problematic.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #12
couriers

Maybe so WSUCougar except that I have stated my opinions in the appropriate thread very clearly and have never resorted to low-ball tactics like those that I have just now been accused of. If anything that I have said in the other thread can be interpreted in a manner that would support me become a jackass about the issue I would like to be shown where.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
couriers

My "friend" and my father both visit this forum on the weekends from my computer using my account. Is there something so unbelievable about that? Have I ever given anyone the impression that I would make something like that up to prove a point? Have I ever, as far as anyone can tell, lied about anything on this board in the 1700+ posts in almost year years that I have been a member?

Your accusations are absurd and unwarranted and I have been offended by them.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe so WSUCougar except that I have stated my opinions in the appropriate thread very clearly and have never resorted to low-ball tactics like those that I have just now been accused of. If anything that I have said in the other thread can be interpreted in a manner that would support me become a jackass about the issue I would like to be shown where.

What low-ball tactics have you been accused of? Where? Here in this thread? In the other one, which I have managed to avoid posting in?

Just curious, because right now I don't get the references, so your post is nonsensical to me.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My "friend" and my father both visit this forum on the weekends from my computer using my account. Is there something so unbelievable about that? Have I ever given anyone the impression that I would make something like that up to prove a point? Have I ever, as far as anyone can tell, lied about anything on this board in the 1700+ posts in almost year years that I have been a member?

Your accusations are absurd and unwarranted and I have offended by them.

Is this to me?

Chief Rum

Old 04-22-2003, 05:04 PM   #16
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
What low-ball tactics have you been accused of? Where? Here in this thread? In the other one, which I have managed to avoid posting in?

Just curious, because right now I don't get the references, so your post is nonsensical to me.

Chief Rum

Low-Ball Tactics

“trying too hard” (as if I was trying something below the belt to prove a point)

“making shit up to try to test the system” (again, as if to prove a point)

“save everyone the trouble” (as if I am stirring something up to prove a point)

“couriers - If you are serious about this (which I question)” (as if I am making shit up and trying too hard to prove a point)
Old 04-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #17
couriers

No Chief, it was to the person who accused me of not really having a "friend" in the post above yours.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #18
couriers

This is absurd and I am absolutely done with defending my principles on this issue. Think what you will and I'll do the same about all of you.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #19
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Is that quote a new one or an old one?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:10 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

I think it's been around for a while...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
I think it's been around for a while...
If it has, then it is very difficult for me to see how posting this thread today is anything BUT grandstanding.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Low-Ball Tactics

“trying too hard” (as if I was trying something below the belt to prove a point)

“making shit up to try to test the system” (again, as if to prove a point)

“save everyone the trouble” (as if I am stirring something up to prove a point)

“couriers - If you are serious about this (which I question)” (as if I am making shit up and trying too hard to prove a point)

You're right in that Daimyo maybe went too far with the second part, and you could extend that to the fourth line, by Buzzbee, as well. But it has already been stated how the context of the message, and the fact that the situation you evoke (that of a short perons being insulted byt the QOTM "midget" reference) could be regarded as a humorous attempt, or a sarcastic swipe at the system. Without fursther explanation from yourself to that point, I can easily see where they could come to those conclusions and respond that way. We can't read your mind even face-to-face, much less across the Internet.

The trying too hard and the save everyone the trouble references seem to actually be a reflection of the passion and dogedness with which you are approaching the issue. You seem to care about the issue strongly, and it would be my guess not many others feel this to the depth that you do. So they are taking jabs at your unusal persistence on the issue, not on any below the belt tactics you have IMO) incorrectly read into their words.

Chief Rum

Old 04-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #23
HornsManiac

couriers - Please get a life so that you don't have so much time to bitch about insignificant issues.

Thanks, Horns
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #24
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-22-2003 at 05:22 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:23 PM   #25
Buzzbee
College Starter

SkyDog, in couriers defense, the fact that he did it today isn't really evidence of grandstanding. The announcement of Galt, and ensuing debate {sic} happened today, so his timing is appropriate.

I am one of the ones who questioned his motives. Still do. He made well over 40 posts in the other thread regarding this subject. Then he creates a new thread to PUBLICLY bring attention to the fact that he finds this quote offensive. I believe that couriers has a midget friend and that couriers is offended by the quote. But knowing that couriers is WELL aware of the process outlined in the other thread, I question his motives. And I could be completely wrong, but I just know how it appeared/appears to me.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #26
couriers

Points taken Chief Rum but that doesn't change the fact that I didn't need to be attacked on the issue. If someone felt that my intentions were less than honest then they could have addressed their concerns to me in a more positive fashion so that I could have had the opportunity to respond in kind. Out right attacks and accusations are not justified. And as far as someone jumping to the conclusions that I am "grandstanding" or have no life is a perfect example of not being given the benefit of the doubt.

SkyDog, is voicing concern over a QoTM on the board unacceptable or just for today because like I have pointed out, several other people have done this in the past and I shouldn't be treated any differently then them.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #27
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
SkyDog, in couriers defense, the fact that he did it today isn't really evidence of grandstanding. The announcement of Galt, and ensuing debate {sic} happened today, so his timing is appropriate.
My point is that there have been several other "this quote is offensive" threads prior to today, and I've never heard a peep out of him about that quote.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:30 PM   #28
couriers

Regardless of how my intentions may appear they shouldn't be assumed. This is a legitimate thread topic and it should have been taken as a seperate issue in regards to the other thread.

BTW, I am not personally offended by the use of the word "midget" but I know that my friend would be and since I like to promote this board to my friends I felt it would serve the purpose better for him to not be subject to that quote. We have been told that the QoTM represents ALL OF US so why should my feeling about a particular quote or the intention of starting a possible list from other members be questionable. Using my opinions in another thread just doesn't cut it for me.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:31 PM   #29
couriers

Quote:
Regardless of how my intentions may appear they shouldn't be assumed. This is a legitimate thread topic and it should have been taken as a seperate issue in regards to the other thread.

BTW, I am not personally offended by the use of the word "midget" but I know that my friend would be and since I like to promote this board to my friends I felt it would serve the purpose better for him to not be subject to that quote. We have been told that the QoTM represents ALL OF US so why should my feeling about a particular quote or the intention of starting a possible list from other members be questionable. Using my opinions in another thread just doesn't cut it for me.

That is so wrong. I have posted in nearly every single one of those other threads.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #30
couriers

As a further note, Pyser was the first person to respond in this thread and he took the topic seriously. It apparently wasn't so difficult for him to see the honest intentions that I started this thread with.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You didn't need to eb attacked now, but that's part of the "fun" of posting in an Internet forum with a relatively uninhibited range of discourse.

When you post something, you risk that people may see something they don't like about it (a disagreeable opinion, an illogical connection, undue bias, grandstanding, outright falsehood), whatever they perceive it to be, true or not.

I'm not saying they are right to go at you for this, but I think within the context of today's other discussions, the possibility for misreading your motivations, and the "potentially" facetious/sarcastic nature of your objection to this quote, they certainly have reason to feel as they do, and on this forum the right to respond to you in kind.

That said, those same rights allow you to respond to them as you wish.

Chief Rum

Old 04-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #32
couriers

Screw'em.

Screw'em All.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #33
Axxon
Pro Starter

I actually do know two midgets that I've met at the hospital I work at. They are a husband and wife team. They're pretty cool but their health situation isn't the best. They put up with a lot of shit because of their size and not just jokes but people feeling like they have to save them from them all the time like they're helpless. Makes them feel less like human beings and more like freaks. Guess what couriers, midgets have brains and ideas and if the guy was offended he could speak for himself. He doesn't need you protecting him from the big bad world. He likely really just needs a friend.

I am extremely offended that you would use something like this to try and prove your point and I'm quite sure the couple I know would feel the same way. Sorry, I don't buy your act for a minute and I think it shows extreme insensitivity ( being nice ) to use someone else's situation in a mere grandstanding ploy. It's extremely low class and offensive.

This isn't me being cranky. I'm dead serious. This makes me sick.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #34
couriers

Screw you to Axxon.

Who the hell do you think you are telling me how to treat my friends. Do you know me or them? Didn't think so. Now go back to being your bad ass self elsewhere.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #35
HornsManiac

Quote:
Screw'em.

Screw'em All.

The boy is learning something... finally.

HornsManiac
Old 04-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #36
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornsManiac
The boy is learning something... finally.

HornsManiac

It was just a matter of time before you started wearing off on him....hes growing up so fast. *sniffle*
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:47 PM   #37
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

This is fucking dumb...
Old 04-22-2003, 05:49 PM   #38
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey
This is fucking dumb...

I agree. This is all PC bullshit. I just think things have been slow lately.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:49 PM   #39
couriers

Here are a few that actually offend me, does this help any Axxon?

Dude, if you're happy now just think how much happier you'd be during hour 35 of your meth binge! Ya, there is a chance you might kill your children and throw their heads out the window of your moving car because your sleep deprived brain thinks they are the spawn of satan, but nothing in life comes without risks!

I embezzle money from my "employer" for a living. That and sell smack to kids on street corners.

Don't let Subby fool you. He's really just a 13-year old junkie who dropped out of junior high school to pursue a life of crime, drugs, and dwarf porn. Oh, he's a client of mine, too.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:51 PM   #40
couriers

HM, I have tried being nice to just about everyone on this board since the day that I registered but there is a line to my kindness.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #41
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey
This is fucking dumb...
No kidding. This whole QOTM debate has not exactly been a shining moment for this board, but playing the "my friend is an offended midget" card is just weak.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #42
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
HM, I have tried being nice to just about everyone on this board since the day that I registered but there is a line to my kindness.

I think you meant limit to kindness.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #43
couriers

Wow, now I am being accused even still despite trying to convince others of my honest intentions. I guess that I am just one big fat liar.

Thanks for the typo correction Qwikshot but was it really necessary?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #44
couriers

I would like to once again point out that the first person to respond to this thread did so in all seriousness. It was everyone else that had to go and make it a big issue as if there was some kind of underlining motivation behind my feelings.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #45
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

My God, people, let the poor bastard have his offended midget friend. It's a sad day when someone can't have an opinion.

It's also a sad day when people get all bent out of shape and retarded because somebody thinks their opinion is stupid.

Pony loaf, I say.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #46
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, now I am being accused even still despite trying to convince others of my honest intentions. I guess that I am just one big fat liar.

Thanks for the typo correction Qwikshot but was it really necessary?

I felt so yes...I know you are typing angry now...no need for someone to make fun of, or ask you what you meant.

Seriously, I have no problem with the quotes, I could care less actually...but there should be a skin that removes them, or an option to remove them. I was so used to the old boards' broken set that I think some people went quote crazy much like our poll crazy people now.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #47
HornsManiac

I like your two OOTP5 skins.

HornsManiac
Old 04-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #48
couriers

So now I'm retarded on top of everything else. Great. Anyone else like to take a stab at me while you have me on the ground?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #49
HornsManiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
I could care less actually...

I think you meant couldn't care less actually...

HornsManiac
Old 04-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #50
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here are a few that actually offend me, does this help any Axxon?

Dude, if you're happy now just think how much happier you'd be during hour 35 of your meth binge! Ya, there is a chance you might kill your children and throw their heads out the window of your moving car because your sleep deprived brain thinks they are the spawn of satan, but nothing in life comes without risks!

I embezzle money from my "employer" for a living. That and sell smack to kids on street corners.

Don't let Subby fool you. He's really just a 13-year old junkie who dropped out of junior high school to pursue a life of crime, drugs, and dwarf porn. Oh, he's a client of mine, too.

I've got a quote of the moment? Cool! And it offended someone? Even cooler! I love this board
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote