Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Any dog whisperers here?

Here is the situation. I have an older female English Bulldog and an older male mutt. We also have a 16 mo old son. The two dogs have been great forever except now they fight. Ive noticed they fight a lot when a new person enters the house, me, the mother in law, the parents, etc. The fights are pretty brutal... no longer the old "im gonna hump you" stuff. The long snouted mutt grabs the bulldogs jowels (sometimes through it) and causes a bunch of blood however its usually the bulldog that starts and accelerates the fight. tonight I got bit breaking it up. The wife said she wanted to get rid of the bulldog but Im looking for help first. Any advice on what to do? The fighting is a bit out of control and bloody... and dangerous. I couldnt give nola (the bulldog) to another family knowing how she's behaving... help.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Comey
College Starter

I whispered to a dog once. It looked at me, then licked itself and walked away.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Here is the situation. I have an older female English Bulldog and an older male mutt. We also have a 16 mo old son. The two dogs have been great forever except now they fight. Ive noticed they fight a lot when a new person enters the house, me, the mother in law, the parents, etc. The fights are pretty brutal... no longer the old "im gonna hump you" stuff. The long snouted mutt grabs the bulldogs jowels (sometimes through it) and causes a bunch of blood however its usually the bulldog that starts and accelerates the fight. tonight I got bit breaking it up. The wife said she wanted to get rid of the bulldog but Im looking for help first. Any advice on what to do? The fighting is a bit out of control and bloody... and dangerous. I couldnt give nola (the bulldog) to another family knowing how she's behaving... help.

Did you include your son for a reason? Are you thinking it's a "dogs fighting to protect the baby" type situation? Did it just start with the baby?

I'm no dog-whisperer, but I have watched that show plenty (as I guess you have?). It sounds to me like the two dogs just need to be reminded essentially that they are subservient to you/your wife. Almost like you need to each take one and have them in the same room and just make them sit there and ignore each other...correct them if they start to move towards one another. Then eventually when they will essentially sit there and ignore each other you can let them start to socialize again but always ready to correct them?

I'm sure Cesar Milan has something in one of his books about dogs fighting each other (probably even involving new babies in the house), you could just check the bookstore/internet for that.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Did you include your son for a reason? Are you thinking it's a "dogs fighting to protect the baby" type situation? Did it just start with the baby?

I'm no dog-whisperer, but I have watched that show plenty (as I guess you have?). It sounds to me like the two dogs just need to be reminded essentially that they are subservient to you/your wife. Almost like you need to each take one and have them in the same room and just make them sit there and ignore each other...correct them if they start to move towards one another. Then eventually when they will essentially sit there and ignore each other you can let them start to socialize again but always ready to correct them?

I'm sure Cesar Milan has something in one of his books about dogs fighting each other (probably even involving new babies in the house), you could just check the bookstore/internet for that.

I was putting the son in there to bring up the fact thats pretty scary for him. He wails while they fight and he's exhibiting some fear of them. I dont think it has anything to do with protecting him but who knows. I'll look into one of his books but you never know, the collective FOFC has come through before.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Comey
College Starter

Is it only when someone new enters the house?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i'm not a dog whisperer but i have a similar situation. i have a 9 yr old beagle and a 2 yr old mutt rescue. i've had the beagle since it was weened and it sleeps with me, is spoiled rotten, etc. the mutt is gracious to not be on the street but is constantly trying to climb the hierarchy ladder. similar behavior to what you mentioned. i catch it. discipline the dog (no dinner, make it sleep in the garage, long time-outs, etc.) and it's cool 98% of the time.

it's not fully fixable. it's the dog's nature. but if you correct it when you see it problems are few and far between.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

My wife says it happens at other times during the day but I dont see that. all I see is that when I come home from work, within about 10 minutes the growling starts and then the fight. I have a water bottle handy and thst prevented a couple fights from breaking out but it didnt work tonight and they fought right through the spraying.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
My wife says it happens at other times during the day but I dont see that. all I see is that when I come home from work, within about 10 minutes the growling starts and then the fight. I have a water bottle handy and thst prevented a couple fights from breaking out but it didnt work tonight and they fought right through the spraying.

They're fighting to be dominant - you need to make sure they both know they're submissive to you humans i think? Instant correction and forcing them to roll onto their backs and expose their stomachs (displaying their submissiveness) should do it right?

There's got to be solutions online - it's not an uncommon problem.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-29-2011 at 08:33 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Which one did you have first? it sounds like the male is trying to dominate the bulldog, right? the bulldog's not gonna relinquish it's position.

i don't know if it's right, but like i said, what i did was reinforce hierarchy through discipline. 'sorry odie. i like you and all, but you're never gonna be no.2. just how it is."

so long as their fed equally and exercised everything is copacetic.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
Which one did you have first? it sounds like the male is trying to dominate the bulldog, right? the bulldog's not gonna relinquish it's position.

i don't know if it's right, but like i said, what i did was reinforce hierarchy through discipline. 'sorry odie. i like you and all, but you're never gonna be no.2. just how it is."

so long as their fed equally and exercised everything is copacetic.

Its actually the opposite re: the domination. The female bulldog starts picking on, growling at, the mutt (male) and then when the fight breaks out, the male wins.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

There were no problems until the kid was born?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
There were no problems until the kid was born?

and up until about a month ago so when the kid got to be 15 mos old. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. The whole thing is very frustrating and the mark on my calf from the inadvertent bite sucks.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
digamma
Torchbearer

A woman quit a job at our company to be an animal communicator. Happy to send you her information if you're into that sort of thing.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I would start by sniffing each dog's ass. I'm not sure what you'll find out, but most dogs I know seem to think it's important.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
They're fighting to be dominant -

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Rizon
Pro Starter

Try a squirt bottle? Buy an empty one, fill it full of water, set it to stream, and blast them in the face with it when they fight or growl. They'll get the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
molson
General Manager

Quote:
They're fighting to be dominant - you need to make sure they both know they're submissive to you humans i think? Instant correction and forcing them to roll onto their backs and expose their stomachs (displaying their submissiveness) should do it right?

There's got to be solutions online - it's not an uncommon problem.

Agreed and ya, there's lots of little tricks to help setup a hierarchy, both betweens humans/dogs, and among dogs. Things like the order everyone eats (dogs should always wait until the end), and who goes through doors first (always make the dog go through last). I think that stuff would work if you want one dog to be dominant over another as well. A dog who has been trained into submission is happy dog.

Last edited by molson : 03-30-2011 at 11:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it is territorial/dominate type thing. The pack order should have been established between those two long ago before the kid came into the picture. Plus male/female fights are usually not over domination.

Are there any toys or food in the room at the time of the fights?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Flasch186
Coordinator

Usually the fights happen in tight quarters. For example, their beds are in a small alcove and the fights start there or sometimes when the mutt is under a coffee table, the bulldog starts pickin' on him. My wife seems to think its starts playful sometimes but I dont believe that to be the case.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Whatever you are doing for corrective actions, make sure your wife plays a part in it as well. She needs to show dominance over the dogs as much as you do, especially during the day when you're at work.

Seemingly playful interaction between the dogs need to be closely supervised and interrupted before it escalates.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Flasch186
Coordinator

Big fight today when my friend came over to pick up his daughter that was staying here during the day. I wasn't here but the effects were brutal. The bulldog has a bunch of wounds while the mutt seemed to get out of it fairly unscathed. The trend I think is when someone comes to the house including myself...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Can you separate them when someone comes over?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #23
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Do the dogs get their daily exercise? It's possible that they have a lot of pent-up energy that is released the only way they seem to know how, by fighting.

Take them out for a walk or play fetch. That should expend their energy.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Can you separate them when someone comes over?

This is what we're going to try PLUS ABC, no they dont get enough exercise and that can be pinned squarely on my shoulders as Ive become super preoccupied with the kid and the business.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL