Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
AgPete
College Prospect

NFL Rumor: Dallas Cowboys to pick up Tim Couch from Cleveland Browns

These might be bologne internet rumors but this site HERE is claiming that they have inside sources telling them that the Cowboys and Browns are seriously talking about swapping Tim Couch. I can't access the article because you have to subscribe to read their articles which I don't want to do because I have no idea how legit this website is.

Tim Couch? Inside Scoop on a Trade with Cleveland

By Derrick Crosby

Rumors are floating everywhere involving the Dallas Cowboys and the Cleveland Browns. SilverStarDigest has the absolute latest on 3 possible scenarios that you won't believe! We've got the inside scoop on three possible trades that could send Tim Couch to Dallas on draft day. What will it take? More than you might imagine!

Anyone else heard these rumors? Any Browns fans out there that have heard about this?

AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It would almost make sense, the Cowboys have older players and could use a QB with expierience. I assume the cowboys would have to trade the 5th pick which the Browns could use on Leftwich and keep him in ohio.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
AgPete
College Prospect

I'd love to see Couch come to the Cowboys but a 5th pick in the first round seems awfully high considering what he's done during his time in the NFL. Couch needs a fresh start and the Cowboys just need a damn quarterback.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
astralhaze
College Prospect

What, isn't Quincy Carter good enough for ya's?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:35 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

No....I don't want Tim Couch, and definitly not for the #5 pick.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:44 AM   #6
astralhaze
College Prospect

Dude, if Chad Hutchinson was my starting QB I would take Couch any day. Not for the number 5 pick though, that much I agree with.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:45 AM   #7
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
What, isn't Quincy Carter good enough for ya's?

All I have to say is thank god Bill Parcells is running the team now.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #8
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

i think Chad Hutchinson can develop into a decent QB.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:01 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
i think Chad Hutchinson can develop into a decent QB.

I agree. I don't think we need to make a rash move and send get Couch for the #5 pick when we have other areas of the team that need help too...

Old 04-22-2003, 01:07 AM   #10
astralhaze
College Prospect

Hmmmmmm. I guess he could be decent, perhaps even above average. However Couch is above average right now, with a chance to improve. Would I gamble the number 5 pick for him? No. Would I take him over Hutchinson? Absolutely.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:18 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

If we can get him for something other than the #5, sure, why not. He's not terrible, and it'll give Chad a chance to mature as a QB. But as I've said a couple times already, I don't want him for the #5...

Old 04-22-2003, 01:32 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, you guys act like its gonna be Couch for #5 straight up .
Old 04-22-2003, 04:49 AM   #13
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Supposedly the deals are (taken from the Browns forum on that insider site)

1. Couch, Jamel, 1st round pick (21st overall), and 3rd round pick to Dallas for Dexter Coakley, 1st round pick (#5 overall), and a 5th or 6th rounder.

2. Couch and #21 to Dallas for Dexter Coakley and #5 overall.

3. Jamel White to Dallas for their 3rd round pick.

Hm, also seeing the following scenario...

R. Philpot-Moderator has informed the Cowboys forum of a potental trade rumor between Dallas/Cleveland

The deal would be Cleveland sending T. Couch and #1 pick to Dallas in exchange................Dallas would send
Chad Hutchinson,Dat Nguyen, And Dallas' 2nd rounder 2/38.

As a Cowboys fan, I find scenario 2 to be ludicrous. Scenario 1...I'm not overly fond of either, but if they're that convinced about Couch...the last deal is intriguing too, but whew. I feel like one of the teams will blow it big time.

Jamie
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:18 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

I hope one of the deals happen, I love big trades on draft day!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:34 AM   #15
cincyreds
High School Varsity

No, no please?

No, Tim Couch. Not for the our 5th pick. Jerry Jones don't you do it again, you here me!!!

I also have heard the rumors that the Cowboys may trade their #5 pick to the Saints for their 17 and 18th 1st rd picks.

I'd love to see my Cowboys grab Boller out of California. I have a good feeling about him, that is if we take him.

But I have also heard that Parcells will not draft a rookie QB.

Sad it is, so sad!

Old 04-22-2003, 08:38 AM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

Interesting rumors, but with all the signing bonuses and such of todays players, it seems rare to have a deal involving more than two established NFLers, so you can probably cross the last one off the list.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:47 AM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
desperation fuels these rumors.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 AM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

Wow, you thought Couch cried in Cleveland .. wait until you see the tears in Dallas!

Why are people so quick to knock on Hutchinson anyways? Granted he was a horrible actor in HBO's "Hard Knocks", but it was his first year back to football and he gets thrust into a starting QB role. Tough assignment.

BTW - have they picked a team for Hard Knocks this year?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #19
Celeval
Pro Starter

Hm... I heard this rumor through the Browns fans site on the insiders yesterday (posted it in one of these threads, maybe the draft one?) - from different sources, although the same deals. Dunno if that lends credibility or not.

Funny that the Cowboys are so against dealing for Couch, I'm not sold the deal should happen as a Browns fan. I wouldn't be surprised at the third-round for Jamel deal - that would be a solid deal for the Cowboys; Jamel White is a good back, who won't start in front of William Green in Cleveland.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #20
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Supposedly the deals are (taken from the Browns forum on that insider site)

1. Couch, Jamel, 1st round pick (21st overall), and 3rd round pick to Dallas for Dexter Coakley, 1st round pick (#5 overall), and a 5th or 6th rounder.

2. Couch and #21 to Dallas for Dexter Coakley and #5 overall.

3. Jamel White to Dallas for their 3rd round pick.

Hm, also seeing the following scenario...

R. Philpot-Moderator has informed the Cowboys forum of a potental trade rumor between Dallas/Cleveland

The deal would be Cleveland sending T. Couch and #1 pick to Dallas in exchange................Dallas would send
Chad Hutchinson,Dat Nguyen, And Dallas' 2nd rounder 2/38.

As a Cowboys fan, I find scenario 2 to be ludicrous. Scenario 1...I'm not overly fond of either, but if they're that convinced about Couch...the last deal is intriguing too, but whew. I feel like one of the teams will blow it big time.

Jamie

This looks a little fishy. I can't see the #2 happening either. Where did Dexter Coakely come from? I guess I could see Dave Campo lobbying for him now that he's the defensive coordinator over there, but if Bledsoe could barely pull a first round pick, I don't see why Couch is worth much. Not to say he won't be a good player, but just that he may not be worth these types of picks considering what other teams have gotten away with in past trades. I guess being a former #1 overall pick still carries clout.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:34 PM   #21
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well here in the Dallas media there is talk of the Cowboys moving down. Coakley does not fit into Parcells "big LB" mentality (neither does Dat for that matter) but their LB's are the strength of the defense. I personally do not see any deal involving them.

Besides Couch would fare no better than Hutch or the Q-Kid if the offensive line plays like last season.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Smile

I applaud this move if it comes to fruition!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #23
AgPete
College Prospect

Also, regarding Coakley, the news is that Parcells is quickly becoming attached to Zimmer. (Dallas defensive coordinator) When Parcells was hired, the small linebacker talk was always big but Parcells admitted that he had to work with what he had and supposedly, he's quite fond of Zimmer and has a lot of trust in him. I don't see who would replace Coakley. Markus Steele? He played some middle linebacker but I don't know if they would make him the weakside LB now. I agree about the offensive line Horned and hopefully the addition of Young with a healthy Larry Allen (assuming he will ever stay healthy now) and more experienced Walters and Gurode will make a difference. I see Couch as a more proven Hutchinson with more experience under his belt so if the Cowboys could work out a trade in which they wouldn't lose much, I'd be all for it. It would speed up the rebuilding process. Howie Long made a comment once that not even Michael Vick could succeed behind an offensive line like that but I'm still not convinced Hutchinson is the answer. The receivers are set (Galloway, Bryant and Glenn), they're just waiting for a veteran QB to come in.

Last edited by AgPete : 04-22-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #24
primelord
Pro Rookie

I have seen a couple people say Hutchinson will develop into a good QB and someone said they don;t understand why everyonebags on Hutch.

I guess my question is what keeps leading everyone to believe Hutch will develop into a good QB? He didn't show me anything last eyar that led me to believe he was on his way to becoming a good QB. I am not syaing he won'y be and the poor offensive line and other factors surely played into his poor performance.

But I just can't see how so anyone can make the statement that given time he will develop. Unlike some young QB's I didn;t see any "flashes" of greatness fromh him last year. He wasn't even that highly regarded coming out of Stanford. I don;t see how 4 years off could have made him any better. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #25
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I agree, as the season went along the rookies in the interior O-line improved a lot.

Personally, I don't know how Parcells can get any sort of evaluation of Chad from last year. I gave him an incomplete as a grade. When he had time, he throws a nice ball, that just never happened too often.

Your other point is good too. Steele can't play the outside (if the Boys intend to use a similar scheme) and they are thin besides those 4 backers. By trading one of them, this forces them to draft another one which does not make much sense if it is the strength of the defense.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #26
BigDPW
College Prospect

I would love to see a huge trade like this... One involving players of this magnitude going to both teams hasn't happened in a long time in the NFL and it would be refreshing to see...

I still can't see this happening though...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:01 PM   #27
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I have seen a couple people say Hutchinson will develop into a good QB and someone said they don;t understand why everyonebags on Hutch.

I guess my question is what keeps leading everyone to believe Hutch will develop into a good QB? He didn't show me anything last eyar that led me to believe he was on his way to becoming a good QB. I am not syaing he won'y be and the poor offensive line and other factors surely played into his poor performance.

But I just can't see how so anyone can make the statement that given time he will develop. Unlike some young QB's I didn;t see any "flashes" of greatness fromh him last year. He wasn't even that highly regarded coming out of Stanford. I don;t see how 4 years off could have made him any better. Just my .02

I'm just saying give the kid a chance - some people were writing him off already. His 60 or so passing rating wasn't that impressive. But project his yards to 16 games and it's close to 3000 with about a 1:1 TD/int ratio and 50% completion. Not bad for a rookie.

Take a highly touted rookie QB on another crappy team for comparison ... say Joey Harrington. Same 60 rating, same 3000 yards projected over 16 games, same 50% completion rating and a .75/1 TD:int ratio.

The games I saw Chad was 'ok', but I think the reason I think he has a chance was simply based on comparing his performance to Quincy with the same team.

Also, I think he was fairly highly touted at Stanford. He left for baseball before his senior year (if memory serves correct) that's why he likely never was hyped up in the media blitz. I could be wrong on that though.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote