Head Coach

8.8 magnitude Earthquake in Japan

Just saw it as breaking news on CNN.

This one could be devastating.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tokyo (CNN) -- An 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Friday, triggering tsunami warnings and sending people fleeing out of buildings in the capital.

The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. In Tokyo, crowds huddled together and tried to reach relatives via cell phone.

Its epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.

It triggered a tsunami warning for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said.

"Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.

Well it's mentioned as a 7.9 in the article that just came up. Hopefully it sticks at that.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hmm. All the other news sites are listing it as an 8.8. Who knows at this point. Either way it's fucking massive.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Tigercat
College Starter

Saying 8.9 now, the footage of the tsunami moving unbelievable amounts of mud, houses, and farmland across miles of land... insane.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My In Laws are on vacation in Hawaii right now and I was just chatting on Facebook with my MIL. She said they are already giving warnings there and people are pretty freaked out and taking it seriously.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Tigercat
College Starter

Nevermind. Insane isn't the right word. Watching whole small towns being destroyed on live TV, watching cars run away people fleeing for their lives. Horrible is the only word. Just horrible. This feels like watching 9/11.

Last edited by Tigercat : 03-11-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

tsunami watch here, not warning yet, but we'll see. A watch is always called if the earthquake is 7.5 or higher, even if they are unsure of an impending distant tsunami. Warning is when one has definitely been generated.

Scary, and my prayers go out to everyone impacted.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The footage of the wave on MSNBC is pretty crazy
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, this is nuts. Watching on Fox as they are showing footage of Japan.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

I'm usually very forgiving with news people, but that CNN broadcasters can use such chipper voices and tones of voice when the footage is obviously showing some amount of deaths... Come on. But instead they tiptoe around the reality, lots and lots of people are losing their lives in horrific ways.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, Tigercat, I am seeing something like that here on the local Fox feed as well. Not chipper, at least they're not doing that. But they seem so matter of fact, and one guy keeps asking how what kind of displacement is needed to cause a wave this big. Dude, who the fuck cares! While this guy's asking this question repeatedly to every new expert, you can see people trying to drive away from the tsunami right on screen. WTF?!?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

unreal; just seeing footage now.

What size was the tsunami? The damage is unimaginable. I can't even comphrehend the potential human toll.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
unreal; just seeing footage now.

What size was the tsunami? The damage is unimaginable. I can't even comphrehend the potential human toll.

I have seen reports of a line hundreds of miles along. And a second wave the video was focusing on about ten minutes ago was described as 13 feet high.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-11-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just seeing a clip from the wave pushing over the land. It's sickening to watch; seeing cars that were on the road being swept away and knowing that someone was in that car.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

oh, fuck. We just got upgraded to a warning. stay alert people. I gotta go to work

edit: reports coming in wave on the way here.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 03-11-2011 at 01:39 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

8.9 quake triggers devastating Japan tsunami - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Don't we have a couple FOFCers that live in Japan (or at least used to)?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #19
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
oh, fuck. We just got upgraded to a warning. stay alert people. I gotta go to work

God speed, stay safe!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Worried about you all over there. Although the local Fox feed had an expert on that says that the system in place in Hawaii for signaling approaching tsunamis is one of the best in the world.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

yup, just signed off facebook chat with my MIL. Their hotel is being evacuated. Luckily they have a friend on the island who lives inland.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #22
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm worried, I work at the airport as a supervisor. My fiance and my house are in the flood zone in Ewa beach, which also in fact is the the pacific tsunami warning center HQ. covering something like 25 countries. Still I really don't want to go to work while my fiance and family are there. I told her evacuate if anything and call me. pretty worried for some reason this time.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't we have a couple FOFCers that live in Japan (or at least used to)?

oykib comes to mind.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm worried, I work at the airport as a supervisor. My fiance and my house are in the flood zone in Ewa beach, which also in fact is the the pacific tsunami warning center HQ. covering something like 25 countries. Still I really don't want to go to work while my fiance and family are there. I told her evacuate if anything and call me. pretty worried for some reason this time.

Not very religious but my prayers are with you and your family. I hope that it ends as a false alarm for you.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Stay safe, k0ruptr. Make sure your fiance keeps a level head and be ready. Is there someplace they can go if they need to?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watching coverage on CNNi right now. Just horrifying stuff.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tsunami horns are sounding in Honolulu, per Fox. Scary. Be safe, k0ruptr!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #28
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Tsunami alerts have been raised throughout the Philippines' eastern coast. We're expecting one to hit in 1 to 3 hours if there is one, expecting at least a 1 meter wave if it's there.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Tsunami alerts have been raised throughout the Philippines' eastern coast. We're expecting one to hit in 1 to 3 hours if there is one, expecting at least a 1 meter wave if it's there.

Where is Paranaque in relation to the east coast? Are you close to Manila? IIRC, most of the primary population centers of the Philippines are on the west side of the main islands. I would think that would be a good thing.

Hope you stay safe, Neon.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just reporting that the west coast is now on a tsunami watch (estimating 7 AM PST).

Last edited by EagleFan : 03-11-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #31
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Where is Paranaque in relation to the east coast? Are you close to Manila? IIRC, most of the primary population centers of the Philippines are on the west side of the main islands. I would think that would be a good thing.

Hope you stay safe, Neon.

Paranaque City is part of Metro Manila. Metro Manila is kind of in the bottleneck part of the land, between two bays, although primarily towards the western bay. We should be safe, although worried about relatives in the east coast.

Thanks for the concern. Will update if a tsunami hits us first, for the people in hawaii.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #32
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Paranaque City is part of Metro Manila. Metro Manila is kind of in the bottleneck part of the land, between two bays, although primarily towards the western bay. We should be safe, although worried about relatives in the east coast.

Thanks for the concern. Will update if a tsunami hits us first, for the people in hawaii.

One-meter tsunami waves may hit in next 3 hours—disaster officials - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos
Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #33
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Holy crap. AFtershocks are apparently in the 7 e
Range, some stronger than the Haiti quake.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Almost 11 p.m. in Hawaii. Reports I am seeing says first water to hit around 3 a.m. locally. Four hours to get out...

Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Everyone in the danger zones please take care of yourselves and your families.

I need to go get some sleep.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #37
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Some images courtesy of MSNBC:

Massive earthquake hits Japan - Picture Stories- msnbc.com

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-11-2011 at 04:35 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #38
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

So far so good. Taiwan is clear. Seems like we might be clear too.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #39
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I was just checking out the recent earthquake list on USGS. Looks like there has been quite a bit of activity in Japan the last 60 hours or so. I counted four 6.0+ earthquakes there in the last 2 days before this big one hit.

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

Last edited by fantom1979 : 03-11-2011 at 05:36 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

Devastating...I was in a couple of 7's while I was in Japan and they were scary as hell. Both times I thought the building I was in was coming down and many around the area did. Now if I'm not mistaken an 8.9 would be like 3 7's at once or some shit in magnitude. Crazy. Very sorry to hear the news but I know the Japaneese are in good hands as far as disaster recovery teams.

Also, good luck Hawaii.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Everyone in the danger zones please take care of yourselves and your families.

Big plus 1
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Scary footage. I have never seen water do that. A lot of the stuff in Japan looks like toys in the tube. My prayers and thoughts are with them.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

news from hawaii indicated waves only up to 3 feet... so no REAL damage... ut well see....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #44
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There are reports that possible waves are just now hitting Hawaii at 6-7 feet. It might be spotty and eradict. So, the west coast might have several hours of watching ahead. This is crazy stuff. The videos out of Japan are insane.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #45
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Devastating...I was in a couple of 7's while I was in Japan and they were scary as hell. Both times I thought the building I was in was coming down and many around the area did. Now if I'm not mistaken an 8.9 would be like 3 7's at once or some shit in magnitude. Crazy. Very sorry to hear the news but I know the Japaneese are in good hands as far as disaster recovery teams.

Also, good luck Hawaii.

Don't forget the richter scale is a log scale. An 8 is 10 times worse than a 7, so an 8.9 is 90 times worse than a 7!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #46
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

North shore of Mauii harbour gauge just hit 6 feet, receeded 6 feet, then hit over 6 feet.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #47
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

these videos are some sick shit... wow!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #48
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Coastal roads in Santa Cruz closed, though they're only expecting a 3-5 foot wave. Scary, scary stuff. My heart goes out to all those affected by the devastating natural disaster
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Did Obama seriously just release a statement saying that 'our friendship with (Japan) is unshakable'?????

Unfortunate choice of words there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #50
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn! Supermoon Man is hootin' and hollerin' today, I bet.

Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters? - Yahoo! News
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote