Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Justin Bieber?

I know this sounds like an old fogey but can someone (not named MJ4H) explain Justin Bieber? I heard the name and a lot of people making fun of Bieber but never heard him (her??) perform. I just saw that Bieber's movie is #1, so I went to youtube and read the wiki. The kid is about as white bread as one can be yet they are re-making him with street cred?? He's not much of a singer as far as I can tell and frankly, he doesn't have that much of a look with that weird hair and lipstick. He's probably a nice kid and is charming with fans (hence the pre-teen fanaticism?) but what does he really have going for him?

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

YouTube sensation. Usher and Justin Timberlake got into a bidding war to sign him. He signed with Usher. Becomes global superstar.

Not any different than any other boy starlet of that ilk, really.

But he's not trying to appeal to your demographic, so don't try to understand it.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hawt.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He's just the latest non-sexually threatening male hottie.

That type has been making money in the music biz for several generations.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Was attending a friends Bday party and went to bowl a few games after dinner with a large group.

At night they put on blacklights and drop bigscreens down to play music videos. I really wasnt paying attention but realized when the song was ending they put up the info / record / performer stuff and it was Bieber.

Didnt know who it was the whole time, but prob only knew about 1/2 what was playing overall anyways.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He's just the latest non-sexually threatening male hottie.

That type has been making money in the music biz for several generations.

Well sure, I grew up with Cassidy, Sherman and Osmond. But I was more wondering about his "style". It probably makes sense given the popularity of hip-hop but it doesn't seem to fit him.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

This probably won't go over to well, but I don't think hes that bad of a singer. even watching his older youtube videos before he got famous he seemed to be decent, and he has a great passion for what he does.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
This probably won't go over to well, but I don't think hes that bad of a singer. even watching his older youtube videos before he got famous he seemed to be decent, and he has a great passion for what he does.

I find his raw voice just meh. I haven't heard much range in his voice. Does he have long-term staying power?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I think a lot depends on how his voice changes as he goes through puberty. Hes hitting that stage now and his voice is changing, hes already said he can't hit some of the notes on some of his previous songs.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Well sure, I grew up with Cassidy, Sherman and Osmond. But I was more wondering about his "style". It probably makes sense given the popularity of hip-hop but it doesn't seem to fit him.

I think it's genius. Not only is he non-threatening, but he makes urban, predominantly black music less threatening as well.

The conspiracy theorist could think of him as a gateway drug.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

He's a pretty talented kid that got in with Usher and his production company, they moved him to Atlanta, and they manage everything from his song selection to his public appearances to the clothes/shoes that he wears (and the way he wears them).

I'm not sure about his staying power, but if you are a youngster in the entertainment business, having a direct line to Usher (one of the few child stars that has successfully transitioned into an adult superstar) is probably a very good thing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He's a typical over-rated kid creation. A blight on the music industry along with all that disney created crap.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How is he overrated? The music biz is about making money, and currently he does that as well as anyone.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Oh no, don't tell me we are going to have arguments about Bieber on the board. Please tell me it isn't so. I already have heard enough Bieber talk with my daughter. In fact, she can't wait to watch the freaking next Glee episode since they going all Bieber.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Oh no, don't tell me we are going to have arguments about Bieber on the board. Please tell me it isn't so. I already have heard enough Bieber talk with my daughter. In fact, she can't wait to watch the freaking next Glee episode since they going all Bieber.

LOL, what Ant said. He's making money though...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

In a move calculated to piss off MJ4H, he's dating Selena Gomez.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Justin Bieber is a FOFC plot.

How do I know this?

Look at his name. No true stat geek would go by the name Justin Bieber. But, one oif the easiest ways to switch around your name, in this case taking the first letter from your first name and switching it with your first letter from your last name...

Bustin Jieber

BUSTING JEEBER!

see? Irrefutable proof that JeeberD is messing with us all by pretending to be a non-sexually threatening male hottie!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
to the clothes/shoes that he wears (and the way he wears them).

The way he wears them?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Irrefutable proof that JeeberD is messing with us all by pretending to be a non-sexually threatening male hottie!

That's one helluva lot of pretending right there.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

For some reason, I assumed he was an American Idol winner or close-to-winner.

Learn something every day, I guess. Well, today at least.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
For some reason, I assumed he was an American Idol winner or close-to-winner.

Learn something every day, I guess. Well, today at least.

YouTube has better stuff than AI these days.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #22
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I think his willingness to make fun of himself is a big plus. I don't care for his music, or that other side, but I have really enjoyed when he makes fun of his own hype/phenomena.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Way too much information, even though I was wondering the same thing as Bucc. (I guess you're not that old afterall, mentally... or I am...)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #24
PilotMan
Head Coach

I can't believe that Bucc of all people was the person to start a thread about Justin Bieber. Is there no safe haven on the internet anymore?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The way he wears them?

Open laced shoes, pegged jeans, etc.

I'm guessing if someone told you or me to wear jeans, a hoody, and high top sneakers we would have a much different look than Usher or Bieber.

(BTW, the reason I know most of this is because my wife has a patient that is obsessed with him to the point that she tries to call him and is convinced that he is going to "discover" her -- even though she doesn't sing -- and she did some research on him.).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

I couldn't tell you where he came from or what he sounds like, but I can tell you two things: every day I see 5, ,10, or sometimes as many as 20 Justin Bieber shirts out of our 375 or so K-1st graders, and a guaranteed way for a first grade boy to make a first grade girl mad is to say "Justin Bieber sucks".
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
I couldn't tell you where he came from or what he sounds like, but I can tell you two things: every day I see 5, ,10, or sometimes as many as 20 Justin Bieber shirts out of our 375 or so K-1st graders, and a guaranteed way for a first grade boy to make a first grade girl mad is to say "Justin Bieber sucks".

Absolutely true. I'd say it is all the way through fifth grade. I helped out at an elementary school book fair running the cash register Thursday night, and the ONLY things I sold more than one of was the Justin Bieber posters and books.

Lots of dollar bills and quarters in my cash draw after that.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I see 5, ,10, or sometimes as many as 20 Justin Bieber shirts out of our 375 or so K-1st graders

There's hardly any parenting out there any more.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I see 5, ,10, or sometimes as many as 20 Justin Bieber shirts out of our 375 or so K-1st graders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

One of the myriad reasons why we homeschool.

And yes, I would definitely have been one of those "he sucks" kids. I remember during my middle school years an intense desire to exterminate New Kids on the Block for much the same reason.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #30
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Funny. I was thinking about that myself.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

About three months ago, I was working on the floor on my second job. I was talking with one of my co-workers, a host, and joked that I had some kid in my section that looked a little like Justin Bieber, and I was joking around about it.

About five minutes later, this host is being dragged back to me by a waitress--a 20-year-old waitress--saying, "What? You had Justin Bieber in your section?" And I mean it was a "hope" question, as in "Wow, I hope Justin Bieber is here!". And she's 20!

I felt bad, because she was clearly excited. So I gave her "Bieber's" credit card number.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #33
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm with whoever said he's the latest in a never ending string of pre-pubescent non-sexually threatening male child stars. 10 years from now the only air time he'll be getting is on washed up reality shows.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #34
molson
General Manager

She does kind of look like Tom Brady.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

i like justin bieber
i respect what he done
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #36
Subby
lolzcat

I am still amazed that people come here to ask questions like this.

"Hmmm, who is this person? Should I try Wikipedia or Google or LazyAssClown? NO. I will pose the question to a message board and get some much deserved attention!"
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

"Hmmm, who is this person? Should I try Wikipedia or Google or LazyAssClown? NO. I will pose the question to a message board and get some much deserved attention!"

The question was not legitimate. The OP pretends to know little about Justin Bieber by acting like he doesn't even know his gender, but then drops the knowledge on us that his movie is #1, and that they're remaking him with street cred, and that he wears lipstick. Maybe the OP is just making fun of him for wearing lipstick by adding the "her" in parentheses. But anyway, the questions seems more about explaining the phenomenon, rather than just "who is this guy" since the OP mentions checking out the wiki.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #38
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

lol humans like to socialize.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

Justin Bieber Found To Be Cleverly Disguised 51-Year-Old Pedophile

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I think a lot depends on how his voice changes as he goes through puberty. Hes hitting that stage now and his voice is changing, hes already said he can't hit some of the notes on some of his previous songs.

He's nearly 17. How is it possible that his voice is still changing? Delayed puberty?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #41
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I saw an interview with him on Kimmel and he seemed to be a decent kid. As stated earlier in the thread, very willing to laugh at himself (the anti-Kanye?). Not my type of music at all, but I wish him well. Not like his doing well is going to bother me any (the type of person that likes him likes the same kind of music, so instead of hearing "Baby" out in public, I'd be hearing something similar anyways).
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I saw an interview with him on Kimmel and he seemed to be a decent kid. As stated earlier in the thread, very willing to laugh at himself (the anti-Kanye?). Not my type of music at all, but I wish him well. Not like his doing well is going to bother me any (the type of person that likes him likes the same kind of music, so instead of hearing "Baby" out in public, I'd be hearing something similar anyways).

I've only ever heard him talk once. Was something about all the haters being jealous of the women he gets and how he's so good looking he'd be getting all the women even without the fame.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #43
Ksyrup

I've heard way too much of his music, but even so, it's not something that makes me want to kick him in the throat. I don't think I've ever seen an interview or anything, just heard the music. I definitely don't enjoy it, but I don't hate it either. It's just... there. There are much worse/annoying things they could be listening to. I'll save my hate for other things/people.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #44
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Geez curmudgeon. Is this what I have to look forward to when I turn 40?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #45
Ksyrup

Subby calling people out for wanting attention. Funny.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #46
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Subby calling people out for wanting attention. Funny.

At least we now know what happened to Hell Atlantic.

I read the Grammy's article so I could learn more and came across the word "Beliebers". I'm still wondering how they felt they could successfully turn a sweet looking kid (thus the femininity moniker) into something more hardcore. I guess it would not have worked to have him do "Puppy Love" type shit.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #47
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
He's nearly 17. How is it possible that his voice is still changing? Delayed puberty?

16.... 17 in a few weeks, and I guess its delayed, I have no idea I don't know the kid, all I know is what he has said about his voice changing from puberty in multiple interviews in 2010.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #48
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
That's one helluva lot of pretending right there.

Oh so true. I'm VERY sexually intimidating...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Hoya1
High School JV

Don't be dissing Bieber!!
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #50
Hoya1
High School JV

Really though, he's a really good kid. His family (mom especially) keeps him pretty grounded.
He'll be around for a while, just maybe not soley as a singer.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote