Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

2011 Video Games Thread

Time to start a thread for the new year

Gamestop and Toys R Us offering Pokemon download promos next month | Joystiq

Shiny versions of the legendary dogs at Gamestop the next few weeks.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-31-2010 at 11:50 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Can't wait for LA Noire (despite development issues), Deus Ex and Fight Night.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm looking forward to finally playing Dragon Quest VI when the DS remake comes out in February. And I'll be getting MLB: the Show 11 when that comes out in March.

I'll check out reviews and impressions of LittleBigPlanet 2 and Inazuma Eleven (a soccer RPG for DS that I would have to import from Europe) but might wait on one or both of those.

And if there are some cool games in the 3DS launch lineup I'll probably get one of those if Nintendo doesn't release it for some ridiculous price.

So far my only New Year's Resolution is to buy fewer games and wait for sales more often instead of buying them the week they come out. We'll see how that goes.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure there are more, but the big three in terms of MMOs that I can think of are DCUO, The Old Republic, and Guild Wars 2. The latter two would have my interest the most. Since GW2 has no sub, I could do both, but I would also have to axe my City of Heroes account. I'm still not sure really.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So far my only New Year's Resolution is to buy fewer games and wait for sales more often instead of buying them the week they come out. We'll see how that goes.

Not a resolution for me, per se, but I would love to do something similar. We'll revisit next year to see if I was successful or not.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Not a resolution for me, per se, but I would love to do something similar. We'll revisit next year to see if I was successful or not.

Yeah, it can be difficult. I built a new PC recently and all of these cheap DD games make it hard for me to stay within this kind of guideline, considering I am tempted not just by new games but by games I have missed out on in the last half decade or so. Plus I still have a Wii/PS3/DS and will likely have a 3DS soon.

It's not even about the money so much as it is about the time needed to get something out of the games I would be buying.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'm looking forward to finally playing Dragon Quest VI when the DS remake comes out in February.

I too am looking forward to this one, but have DQIX to finish (grinding for boss battle for final fygg) and I also picked up the new Golden Sun and would like to get through it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Michael Jackson Experience for the kinect should be quite the party game with friends/relatives!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Michael Jackson Experience for the kinect should be quite the party game with friends/relatives!

Are 10 year olds included with the game or do the players have to lure them?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Playing Greed Corp. Second map and it has two PC opponents to take on. It takes some time, but I finally figure it out that I have things in the bag and just playing it out. I think I lasted 2-3 rounds after that.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

One of my ALL TIME games is making a reappearance

You've waited eight years for a proper You Don't Know Jack, so can you wait an additional two weeks for the return of Cookie Masterson, without feeling like you're being screwed? THQ sure hopes so: The publisher has delayed the game's new iteration (appearing on 360, PS3, Wii, DS and PC) from January 25 to February 8.

In a fit of generosity that seems ... out of step with the series' rib-tickling misanthropy, Jellyvision has provided a web sample of the game to tide you over. Enjoy.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

geez this thread was buried.

Duke Nukem Forever. Thats right I said it. May 3rd 2011 release date.

I've been waiting 12 fucking years. Still have my original pre order receipt. lol

I don't care if it doesn't live up to the hype, just give me Duke Nukem fun! It looks decent, and the main thing is, it looks like Duke!
Trailer:

Last edited by k0ruptr : 01-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

New Star Soccer 5 coming end of February, can't wait!

New Star Soccer 5 - NewStarForums

Can't wait for Duke Nukem either!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
New Star Soccer 5 coming end of February, can't wait!

New Star Soccer 5 - NewStarForums

Can't wait for Duke Nukem either!

I hate that they took the real player DB out. For me, the whole point of NSS is that I'm inserting myself into a real world soccer universe (as wacky as it can be at times). Unless the game is so improved that everyone is raving about it, that's probably enough to get me not to buy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I hate that they took the real player DB out. For me, the whole point of NSS is that I'm inserting myself into a real world soccer universe (as wacky as it can be at times). Unless the game is so improved that everyone is raving about it, that's probably enough to get me not to buy.

That doesn't bother me one bit.. but I do see how others might not purchase for that reason alone.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Same thoughts, love that he is going back to 2D, but hate that there won't be a players database anymore.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

Anyone buy Magicka? It's an Action RPG, but there is no experience, loot or such like a typical one. You simply combine different elements for thousands of different effects and spells. I bought it for $8 at direct2drive (20% coupon) and then activated it on steam. Game is very fun and pretty funny so far. You can play online with a party of up to 4, so if anyone is interested in playing let me know.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have been playing this interactive fiction story/game called Blue Lacuna - absolutely amazing so far. The writing is fantastic, and the interface of it lets you wander around at your own pace, looking at every detail if you want, or just playing in more like adventure mode. I haven't really played one of these IF games in a long, long time (probably since Zork and other Infocom games) and this one is really stunning.

Blue Lacuna: IndieCade Personal Statement from Aaron Reed on Vimeo.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Anyone buy Magicka? It's an Action RPG, but there is no experience, loot or such like a typical one. You simply combine different elements for thousands of different effects and spells. I bought it for $8 at direct2drive (20% coupon) and then activated it on steam. Game is very fun and pretty funny so far. You can play online with a party of up to 4, so if anyone is interested in playing let me know.

Seems like maybe they had a rough start. We'll see if this helps bring in more players or not...
Quote:
Tuesday's release of the fantasy action-RPG Magicka has been affected by a number of bugs. Developer Arrowhead Game Studios and publisher Paradox Interactive have already released four patches for the game via Steam. Now a new post on the game's Steam message boards has an update on upcoming patches for the game.

According to the post by a Paradox rep, the next patch for the game will be released on Monday and "will be fairly big". Paradox's own programmers have been helping Arrowhead with fixing bugs in the game. According to the post, "We've been prioritizing stability, network code and show-stopper issues." Among the bug fixes that are being dealt with are disappearing save games, improved connection messages and stuttering on PCs with high-end hardware.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Danny
Head Coach

Yeah I read that before buying, but they have been patching daily to try and get things fixed. Really fun and unique game in there though.

Last edited by Danny : 01-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Homefront looks like a frigging awesome game. I can't wait. And now I find out that it's coming out the same day as MLB The Show. Nuts.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I've have it and enjoyed the half hour or so I've played it so far. My username on Steam is KingOf7 if you want to add me.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-30-2011 at 04:55 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Danny
Head Coach

I added you. Is there a thread where people post their steam friend ID's? My ID is dannykdri
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, time to mention Duty Calls, which is an actually game (playing time, about 4 mins).

I'm not much of a COD basher, would be kind of silly of me since it's easily the shooter I've played the most ... but this does have it moments.
I think it won me over at "Rank Up ... Sergeant of the Master Sergeants Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants to the Max"

Here's a link to the G4 story
Call of Duty Parody Game Promotes Bulletstorm, Spams Laughter - G4tv.com

But if you have no interest in downloading the "game" but still want to see, here's the playthrough video.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg51061">
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This marks only the third time that JimGA has given me a hard-on.

This year.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtbD9...layer_embedded

This looks interesting...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Got the new Fight Night demo. Only played a few rounds, but I like it. The 'just throw haymakers until the guy goes down' is completely gone from the game. If you throw too many punches in a row, then you have to recover, otherwise there is no bite in your punches. It seems you actually have to pay attention to defense in this version.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Got the new Fight Night demo. Only played a few rounds, but I like it. The 'just throw haymakers until the guy goes down' is completely gone from the game. If you throw too many punches in a row, then you have to recover, otherwise there is no bite in your punches. It seems you actually have to pay attention to defense in this version.

You just reminded me... thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Can't wait for LA Noire (despite development issues)

This game looks friggin' sweet.

New L.A. Noire Gameplay Trailer is absolutely amazing
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOQk1...layer_embedded

Incredible.. cannot wait!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow. amazing. Do Want.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

WOW. Can't wait to buy this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #33
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Can't wait for LA Noire (despite development issues)

Same here. Still, i'm hoping Rockstar can take things a bit further into good writing and interesting stories than they did with Red Dead Redemption.

RDR was a pretty good, but the fact that the general consensus seems to be that the writing in that game was outstanding highlights everything that's wrong with video games.

I'm an optimist though. Will definitely be a day 1 purchase for me.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
RDR was a pretty good, but the fact that the general consensus seems to be that the writing in that game was outstanding highlights everything that's wrong with video games.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "everything that's wrong" (pricing would get a serious check mark from me for example) but I agree with your general premise I think.

I liked the game, the writing had moments, but I wasn't exactly hanging on every word either.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #35
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I agree with you guys 100%. I have caught myself thinking the above when I played games like RDR and Mass Effect. While great games, I was always under the impression that these were supposed to be the pinnacle of storytelling in gaming. They are certainly better then 90% of whats out there but I hope it's just the beginning and not the standard.

EDIT: Clarify. Using the word "standard" was probably the wrong word to use. I just hope that in the end the above games are not the peak of storytelling in gaming.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I agree with you guys 100%. I have caught myself thinking the above when I played games like RDR and Mass Effect.

You have no idea how close I was to citing Mass Effect specifically, but figured I'd be hung, drawn, and quartered for admitting to being less than impressed by the writing in it. And let's face it, I get h/d/q plenty around here without giving one away on something so simple

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Yeah, i may have misspoke slightly. What i'm saying is, the medium should be embarrassed if RDR is held up as an example of "brilliant" writing. People described it as subtle, adult, etc. It is nowhere near either of those things.

Also, i think the sort of false 'open-world' of the game didn't do it any favors. You're more or less railroaded into doing things in a certain order, and at times that would lead to weird junctures when a character you had just dealt with 5 minutes earlier responds to you (in a detailed cinema scene) as if they haven't seen you in months.

Plus I just found a few of the main characters so annoying that I wouldn't have continued dealing with them if i wasn't forced to in order to keep playing the game.

Red Dead Redemption, and again with Undead Nightmare (which i just played recently, at least 6 months after finishing RDR) were both decent gaming experiences.... but by the end of both I actually was happy to have finished the game. In both cases there was just diminishing returns as you neared the finish line. And in both cases I sold the games as soon as I was done, knowing full well I'd never feel like picking them up again.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-13-2011 at 10:05 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You have no idea how close I was to citing Mass Effect specifically, but figured I'd be hung, drawn, and quartered for admitting to being less than impressed by the writing in it. And let's face it, I get h/d/q plenty around here without giving one away on something so simple

As one who got bored with Mass Effect after just a few hours playing (as soon as I needed to start searching planets for a key character), I'll have your back on this one...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #39
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, I felt the same about Mass Effect. I want to like it, I want to play it more, but it just doesn't hold my interest enough. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months and it'll grab me more.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #40
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Dragon Quest VI remake (the first time it's been released outside of Japan) comes out tomorrow, I'm pretty excited. DQ VI and DQ VII are the only two games in the series I haven't played yet.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Yeah, i may have misspoke slightly. What i'm saying is, the medium should be embarrassed if RDR is held up as an example of "brilliant" writing. People described it as subtle, adult, etc. It is nowhere near either of those things.

Also, i think the sort of false 'open-world' of the game didn't do it any favors. You're more or less railroaded into doing things in a certain order, and at times that would lead to weird junctures when a character you had just dealt with 5 minutes earlier responds to you (in a detailed cinema scene) as if they haven't seen you in months.

Plus I just found a few of the main characters so annoying that I wouldn't have continued dealing with them if i wasn't forced to in order to keep playing the game.

Red Dead Redemption, and again with Undead Nightmare (which i just played recently, at least 6 months after finishing RDR) were both decent gaming experiences.... but by the end of both I actually was happy to have finished the game. In both cases there was just diminishing returns as you neared the finish line. And in both cases I sold the games as soon as I was done, knowing full well I'd never feel like picking them up again.

I totally agree with you.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #42
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I too am stoked about Dragon Quest VI but I think I'm going to hold off on playing it until after Pokemon Black/White comes out and I put some time into that.. will probably pick it up sooner than that, though, so it doesn't disappear from shelves on me like other games have.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Dead Island...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG...layer_embedded

Incredible trailer............

More info...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/..._cmpid=ign1161

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-16-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #44
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:

Holy shit! That was one of the most awesome trailers, game or movie, I have ever seen! Now, instead of complaining about how The Walking Dead doesn't have enough zombie slaughtering action, I can slaughter zombie on my own. And since I usually suck at these types of games, I will get slaughtered just as much if not more than the zombies.

I hope this game is out this year so that I can pick it up when I visit the States in December.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #45
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Pretty F'n saweet

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

For the life of me, I will never understand the appeal of these zombie games.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #47
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, I felt the same about Mass Effect. I want to like it, I want to play it more, but it just doesn't hold my interest enough. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months and it'll grab me more.

Mass Effect 2 was probably my favorite game of last year. I'm playing through the original Mass Effect again, and having a blast doing it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
Holy shit! That was one of the most awesome trailers, game or movie, I have ever seen! Now, instead of complaining about how The Walking Dead doesn't have enough zombie slaughtering action, I can slaughter zombie on my own. And since I usually suck at these types of games, I will get slaughtered just as much if not more than the zombies.

I hope this game is out this year so that I can pick it up when I visit the States in December.

I've watched it 5 times now.. best trailer I've ever seen.

You can also co-op with 4 players that come in and go out of the game seamlessly..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #49
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I've watched it 5 times now.. best trailer I've ever seen.

You can also co-op with 4 players that come in and go out of the game seamlessly..

The trailer was great, but doesn't have me excited for the game quite yet. It does sound like it's using some of the same elements as Left 4 Dead with 4 player co-op. Having played over 200 hours of Left 4 Dead 2 that would interest me. Dead State is still the Game Coming Out in 2011 With Dead in the Title that I'm most looking forward to.

And on the topic of Left 4 Dead 2, is getting the campaigns of the original ported over and a new campaign. Hooray for free DLC!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #50
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I love how folks get excited over trailers that show zero gameplay, much like folks go for hardcore debates over gameplay issues based on a freakin' static screenshot, or criticize graphics in a screenshot without realising that the motion of a playing game completely changes the look.

It may be a cool short movie, granted, but it tells you nothing about the game except that zombies are involved.