Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Colossal Sturgeon Found in Michigan

What the hell is up with all of the giant seafood?

from the AP

MUSKEGON, Mich. (AP) -- Area scientists have a new big fish story to tell. And they have the big fish to prove it.

But they did not know about the nearly 140 pound and 6 foot-long fish lurking in the waters of Muskegon Lake until she was struck and killed by a passing freighter on Tuesday.

The gigantic sturgeon was nicknamed "Muskegon Molly" by the same research group that found and tagged another huge sturgeon, "Muskegon Mary," last year in the same waters.

The Great Lakes sturgeon research team, under the direction of Paul Vecsei, a Ph.D. candidate from the University of Georgia, recently returned to Muskegon for the second year of what is expected to be a three-year study of native sturgeon.

Tuesday night, three fishermen were at the Lake Michigan end of the channel trolling for walleye and ended up with possibly the biggest catch of their lives.

"We noticed a huge cement boat getting ready to come through the channel," Randy Bandstra, one of the fishermen, told The Muskegon Chronicle for a recent story. "Just after it went by us we noticed a huge fish floating just a few yards away.

It appeared the fish had been hit in the head by the boat's prop, so the three hauled the fish in, Bandstra said.

Coast Guard officials contacted the state Department of Natural Resources and Vecsei rushed over when he heard the news.

"This fish is huge," Vecsei said. "This is the biggest Great Lakes sturgeon I've ever seen."

Vecsei estimated the fish weighed between 125 and 135 pounds and was about 50 years old.

The fish didn't have any transponder tags, which are permanent serial codes implanted under the skin of previously caught fish. Nor did it have any unusual markings other than those caused by the unfortunate encounter with the cement boat prop.

"The skull on these fish is extremely hard," Vecsei explained. "You couldn't do this kind of damage with a direct hit from crow bar."

After taking careful measurements, the team extracted pieces of cartilage, skin and egg samples.

The information will reveal the exact age of the fish and to which group of sturgeon it belongs, Vecsei said.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Stupendous Sturgeon vs. Colossal Squid, next week on Fox's Celebrity Boxing 12.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:32 AM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
how did this slip to page 3?

SAVE THE COLOSSAL STURGEON!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
how did this slip to page 3?

SAVE THE COLOSSAL STURGEON!

I'll be interested to see the results of your study on what percentage of FOFC memebrs have Colossal Sturgeon in their rectum.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I'll be interested to see the results of your study on what percentage of FOFC memebrs have Colossal Sturgeon in their rectum.

Logically, only members with a Colossal rectum might.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have encountered quite a few gigantic asses on this board.

Figuratively, of course.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Re: Colossal Sturgeon Found in Michigan

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips

"The skull on these fish is extremely hard," Vecsei explained. "You couldn't do this kind of damage with a direct hit from crow bar."

Does he have to beat these off with crowbars often? Wonder if the Colossal Squid's hooks would be more effective?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Hard heads and gigantic asses. Are we sure the Colossal Sturgeon isn't a member of FOFC?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Colossal Squid would destroy this thing. Rotating hooks, 200 pound weight advantage, an extra 10 feet of reach, and multiple beaks are just advantages that the sturgeon could not overcome.

But most of all, notice that nowhere in the article was the Sturgeon ever referred to as 'formidable'.

Match Point: Squiddy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fidatelo: But the Colossal sturgeon has a massive reproductive advantage. One on one Colossal squid wins every time, but given enough time Colossal sturgeon will control all of the world's oceans.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Colossal Sturgeon: "All your ocean are belong to us."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:04 AM   #12
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Hard heads and gigantic asses. Are we sure the Colossal Sturgeon isn't a member of FOFC?

I'm not sure what the status is on QOTM, but this one sure as hell is getting submitted...
Old 04-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Fidatelo: But the Colossal sturgeon has a massive reproductive advantage. One on one Colossal squid wins every time, but given enough time Colossal sturgeon will control all of the world's oceans.

but wait

Quote:
Hello,
I have interviewed four of the crew who saw the 'Great White Shark'. Their identification is based only on size, colour, and estimated weight. None of the crucial distinguishing features were described and they did not express a knowledge of what to look for - most notably the white free rear tip on the first dorsal fin. I had a good look at the boat, a 28 footer, against which they judged size. The shark appeared 40 ft off and passed just 5 ft from the boat in a single glide at the surface. It was seen for about 45 seconds total. I believe that it is quite possible that the shark was a very large Porbeagle. The FAO species catalogue 1984 puts a possible maximum length for Porgies at 370 cm / 12 ft. The crew fish for porbeagles regularly but have not previously caught any close to this record size. I believe that an error of 3 ft could have been made in judging length, and that all the other features they described to me equally describe a Porbeagle. Off course we will never know, but I think it is probable that there is a monster Porbeagle off Padstow because there is no doubt that they saw a colossal shark. Since they regularly target this species with gear that can land such a shark, we may yet see this fellow again...?!

Cheers,

Rolf Williams
Interpretation Officer. (National Aquarium, Plymouth)
Old 04-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #14
Ksyrup

Woops, I said "ass." Sorry to have offended those of you without one.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

*gulp*
Old 04-23-2003, 11:08 AM   #16
KWhit
Coordinator

Damn, KS, you in-betweened me!

The gulp post was clearly meant to follow the sighting of the colossal shark. Do you see how funny that would have been!?!? But you ruined it! Thanks a lot, asshat!

I'm gonna go bite my pillow! I hate you and I hate your ass face!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #17
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think I see a 6-issue crossover mini-series here. Chromium plated covers, multiple big-name artists and writers, full page fight scene's, epic battles in both fresh and salt water locales... I'm calling Quesada right now!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

A colossal shark? Now I'm really scared...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #19
Ksyrup

"Once upon a time colossal trout cruised the Truckee River. There were few streams on Earth that offered the opportunity to land these huge fish. We invite you to flick your fly into these famous waters, and hopefully you will fight with one of the giants that still lurk along the banks."

On behalf of all colossal trout, everywhere, I am pleased to invite all FOFC members to flick their flies into the Truckee River.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mr. Burns: "Begin the thawing of Roy Schieder."
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #21
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

This thread is enchanted in some bizarre but highly entertaining way. It's downright formidable.

Kwhit, I think it's funnier that your "gulp" seems to be about not having an ass. I'd also like an explanation of "I'm gonna go bite my pillow," or THAT goes to QOTM, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
I'm calling Quesada right now!

I read this as "I'm calling Quesadilla right now" - must be almost lunchtime.

Carry on.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

SAVE THE COLOSSAL QUESADILLA!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM   #23
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar
I'd also like an explanation of "I'm gonna go bite my pillow," or THAT goes to QOTM, too.

My lawyer has intructed me to refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM   #24
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
My lawyer has intructed me to refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

do you pratice kissing with your pillow as well?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #25
KWhit
Coordinator

See my last answer above.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:28 AM   #26
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can I have the Colossal Quesidilla with the eight pantyless women? Yummy.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Can I have the Colossal Quesidilla with the eight pantyless women? Yummy.

I think you want a tuna taco, not a colossal quesadilla.

Funny, I think I've encountered a Colossal Tuna Taco once or twice, actually.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 AM   #28
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Re: Re: Colossal Sturgeon Found in Michigan

Quote:
Originally posted by ColtCrazy
Does he have to beat these off with crowbars often?
That is a disturbing image....
Old 04-23-2003, 11:31 AM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmmm, have I found Colossal Squid's long lost cousin? All hail Colossal Octopus!!!

"As part of March's National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month 2003, the Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation (formerly the Cancer Research Foundation of America) will lead a nationwide, 20-city Colossal Colon Tour from February 2003 to November 2003."

Will I be going to see the Colossal Colon when it gets to Dallas? Oh, you had better believe it...

And finally, is there a better way to end a rough day dealing with all things colossal than with a a glass of milk and a Colossal Cookie? Yummm...

Old 04-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Funny, I think I've encountered a Colossal Tuna Taco once or twice, actually.

No SKyDog, that is a disturbing image
Old 04-23-2003, 11:33 AM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I actually saw the Colassal Colon on The Daily Show. Watching small children walking into a Colassal Colon is a most disturbing sight.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:50 AM   #32
KWhit
Coordinator

I'll have a Colossal Colon and a Diet Coke to go, please.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #33
Mountain
Mascot

I think the sturgeon can take the squid. Didn't the description of the squid say it was 16 feet long and 300 pounds?

Sure the squid is long but its not very dense. It sounds to me like the Manute Bol of the seas.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:01 PM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

Did you read about the Colossal Octopus?

"The portion of the creature that remained, the body minus the arms, was eighteen feet in length and ten feet wide. Parts of tentacles, unattached to the body, stretched as long as 36 feet with a diameter of 10 inches. Dr. Webb estimated weight at four or five tons. "

"Based on photographs sent by Webb, Verrill concluded that the creature was indeed a colossal octopus that might have had a diameter of one-hundred and fifty feet when living."

Something that huge would have no problem with Colossal Squid or Colossal Sturgeon. After eating them he would probably have a Colossal Cookie or two for dessert...

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-23-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:05 PM   #35
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya, that colossal octopus scares that shit out of me. But so far there is no real proof, just some blurry old photos and some tissue that may or may not be from an octopus. Until I see harder proof Squiddy will remain Queen of the Deep in my mind!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh, Fellatio said "harder"...

Old 04-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #37
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Heh, Fellatio said "harder"...

Fellatio also said queen....
Old 04-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #38
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I also said "deep".
Old 04-23-2003, 03:01 PM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

And you also said "photo". Oh, wait, that's not funny...