Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Dealing With Long Illness In Family (Cancer)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say before I get into this that, although I have only met a few of you face to face, that outside of my family and friends, you all form pretty much my next "family", my online family, as you will, so I feel like I want to (and maybe even should) be open about something going on in my life and seek guidance and advice from the many great posters here.

Yesterday, my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and it has already metastisized (spread) and gone to her brain. She had shown no symptoms until she suffered a seizure while driving (no one was hurt, no accident, thank God), and she says she still feels fine/the same. She's 62.

The doctors say if she fights it (and she will), she has about a year and a half. The five-year rate of survival for any diagnosis of lung cancer (metastasized or not) is 14-15%, and I can only assume that since the cancer has spread, the percentages go down very significantly.

So although we're fighting the good fight, I think me and my family are all more or less resigned to the likelihood my Mom's not going to make it.

I know Senator (I think) was just dealing with cancer in a parent, I think, and there are plenty of others I am sure. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone willing to offer it on how best to deal with fighting cancer specifically (both for my Mom and our family) and also on preparing in the long term for her passing and what needs to be taken care of there.

I feel like I have some handle on the logisitics with respect to handling estates and how to prepare things, such as with respect to my Mom's condo and the use of trusts and what not, since I am in the real estate business, plus my uncle is a former corporate bigwig lawyer and we're all going to have a meeting about this stuff tomorrow. But I am out of element with respect to tax impacts and dealing with a mortgage and what not.

And where I am really uncertain is how best to help my Mom through this, whether it's in fighting it or accepting it, the day to day, as well as what kind of physical symptoms and effects we're going to be seeing as a result of the radiation and eventually chemo.

In any case, I appreciate any thoughts. This has always been a resourceful, giving and caring community, so I'll thank you all in advance.

Matt Kieta (aka Chief Rum)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm horrible at giving advice in these regards so, I won't even attempt. All I can offer is best wishes to you and your family in the coming months.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, best wishes Chief. This has to be rough, man. We're all thinking about you.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I have no advice other than, do what you can to help, be there for her and I'm hoping for the best for your mom, you and your family.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'll echo what is above...in situations like these not really sure what to say, other than we'll all be praying and thinking good thoughts for you.

Only thing I can add, as far as how you cope and help your Mom cope, follow her lead. Probably sometimes she/you will want to cry, and nothing wrong with that. Other times, she/you will want to forget about it for a little while, and live "normally"...even if it is for a few hours, and nothing wrong with that. Other times, she/you might be angry about it...nothing wrong with that.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, guys.

This probably goes without saying, but for those of you whom have friended me on Facebook, while this news is probably making the rounds there among my more outflung family and friends, I would like to keep any comment from FOFC friends here instead.

My immediate family and friends know about my "football board", but the outlying reaches, particularly the older folk, will probably be less enlightened about my willingness to bring this subject up in an online forum.

Thanks again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thoughts and prayers are with you, CR.

We just lost a close family member to a long-term illness last night.

This is probably kind of painful for you to discuss now, but one thing that we are/were thankful for was that he had prepared a list of directives (from things like DNR, to leaving the hospital to go home if further treatment is unlikely to help, to feeding directives). It was somewhat comforting to know that we were able to make his decisions based on what he would have wanted to do and the decisions he would have made.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry to hear Matt. As others have said not much to add except we'll be praying and if you ever need to vent or anything we're all here.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-05-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Thoughts and prayers are with you, CR.

We just lost a close family member to a long-term illness last night.

This is probably kind of painful for you to discuss now, but one thing that we are/were thankful for was that he had prepared a list of directives (from things like DNR, to leaving the hospital to go home if further treatment is unlikely to help, to feeding directives). It was somewhat comforting to know that we were able to make his decisions based on what he would have wanted to do and the decisions he would have made.

You know, Charlie, it's weird, because it's not painful just yet. I think we're all more in shock. I am sure the pain will come. Right now, we're all just sort of trying to figure out how to deal with it. Maybe this is just the phase we're all in. Heck, I think even my Mom is in this phase right now. She's mostly annoyed she can't drive for 12 weeks because of the seizure.

I know Mom has already given some thought on the DNR, but we definitely need to think about the logistics of the medical care near the end. I am sure that my Uncle and I and my brothers will be discussing this some tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh and sorry for your loss as well. I hope you and your family are holding up well.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Chief, first of all please accept my sincere condolences. My prayers for all those affected by this go along with that, that's a package deal.

I can't help much with the finer legal & financial points but there is something I'll offer on the emotional aspect.

As some of the board may recall, I lost my grandmother to liver cancer almost three years ago. One of the things I struggled with throughout that was knowing what to do/say. Loving & supporting her was easy, but learning how to keep my mouth shut when we disagreed over her treatment choices, doctor's decisions, etc., wasn't.

What I finally tried to look for was a sense of acceptance. Not of the disease or what became the inevitable outcome for her but rather of her right to make her own decisions whether I liked it or not. And with that came some sort of understanding that "how to best help" wasn't something I
had complete control of either. That's the understanding I'd offer you today, that what the family members think/want to do isn't necessarily always the best thing.

I imagine every situation is going to have its own unique characteristics & to help most requires reading & reacting to the loved one and the desires that they express or that you recognize. Wishing you could make it go away is the most natural thing in the world but that isn't an option, instead we're left with trying to fulfill whatever role they want us to take.

In my own case, I cherish some of the conversations that I had with her during the final months. We laughed a lot, incredible as that might sound. She told stories all the way back to her childhood, we reminisced about the things & people we'd shared, poked fun at a few absurdities. That was, I believe, some form of comfort for her or at least a distraction and it was something she wanted to do with me so I ran with it.

The other, unexpected, role that fell to me almost exclusively was becoming my mother's outlet. My mother, an only child, was the primary caregiver for her mother during some awful times. The daily care & watching someone go through the final stages was a grinding, draining experience. If she needed to vent, to cry, to laugh at some highly inappropriate stuff, whatever ... I was her go-to person for that. I don't know how much it helped, but again, it was something that I just followed her lead on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe you probably help most by responding to the needs of the loved ones around you as they are revealed.

This is something, as nearly impossible as it is to accept, that is almost completely beyond your control. Letting go of the illusion of control, accepting that what you want most to offer isn't always what the people you love so much need or want, and setting your own desires aside to fulfill the roles they want/need you to play is about as good as my advice is going to get.

My heart goes out to you & your family.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Jon, very touching. I am sure your insight here will help a lot (as will that of others, not to downplay them, but I can tell you put a lot of thought into that and in drawing from your experience).

Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thanks, Jon, very touching. I am sure your insight here will help a lot (as will that of others, not to downplay them, but I can tell you put a lot of thought into that and in drawing from your experience).

At the risk of obvious understatement, it can be a very hard road for everyone touched by this sort of thing. I struggled throughout with finding my place in it all and looking back at the thread from then, the phrase "do no harm" really rings true in hindsight. You won't be perfect, between the learning curve & the uncertainty there really isn't any perfect in it.

What I believe I learned was that all you can really do is the very best you can & I'm confident you'll meet that challenge, even if you aren't always personally satisfied by it, you'll be committed to the effort.

I just wish I could offer something that was more encouraging or comforting.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Really sorry to hear about this Chief. I don't have a lot of advice for you, except to echo what others have said: be there for her in whatever manner she wants you to be. Your whole family will be in my thoughts.

Swaggs, you have my condolences too.

Fuck cancer.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

First off I want to extend my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

My Grandmother battled a form of leukemia for years before eventually succumbing to it and she always felt best when we didn't talk about it. I suppose it boils down to individual choice, but my grandmother always was one to worry more about others than herself. I think Jon's post is spot on.

For my grandmother she lived her normal life as long as she could and though I am sure she had some painful moments accepting her illness she never let on and whenever I wanted to talk about her she would quickly change the subject to how I was doing. The hardest part for me was conforming to what she wanted as I wanted to do all I could to help her and she wanted to do what she had always done, which is take care of others.

Whatever road plays out just enjoy every moment, I found with Grandma it helped to take time over the course of here ordeal to prepare myself, whether it be crying, looking back on fond memories or trying to convince myself I would be strong when the day came (I still fell apart of course)

All I can do is wish you and your family the best and hope that you are able to enjoy your time with her immensely.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My Dad died at 67 after a long bout with prostate cancer that eventually spread to his bladder and liver. Dad fought up to a point, but somewhere along the line he realized that he wasn't going to survive and decided to stop with some of the more painful and/or unpleasant treatments. The most important thing for Dad was that he die at home. That was tough, especially for Mom in the last couple of weeks, but as Jon said, it's really important to let them have control of the end of their life.

Do you have kids? We adopted after my Dad died and one thing I wish I had done was bought together a video of Dad when he was vibrant. I have lots of pictures, but I wish I could show my daughter what her grandpa was like. I also wish I would have recorded some of his stories about his childhood and early adulthood. Of course I don't know if he would have agreed to that as it's obviously a bit morbid.

I don't know how to avoid this, but one of the most difficult aspects of Dad's death is that the image of him in those last weeks sticks with me in a way I wish it didn't. I won't sugarcoat, and I sure as hell hope your mother doesn't go through what Dad did, but the end was brutal. I catch myself seeing images of Dad in those last weeks when someone mentions him and I really wish those memories weren't imprinted.

Good luck and God bless.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Sorry to hear about this. My best advice is take it one day at a time and don't anticipate the future. When my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer (in his 70s), I was never told the prognosis, but I am fairly certain it was a similar timeframe to your expectation, maybe even less. He lived for almost 6 years after his diagnosis and 4 of those were "almost normal" (played golf, fished, etc).

I don't mean to give you hope or unrealistic expectations, but nobody knows what is going to happen. Be happy for each day you have with her, celebrate the victories and don't let the set backs get you down.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Bad-example
College Starter

I wish you strength during this messed up time. Damn.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No advice, but I wish you and your family the best, Matt.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear Matt.

I'd probably try to get an accurate picture of her finances, etc.
Some people elect to purchase a funeral package when they have a clearer mind...basically that and many other things are best done devoid of strong emotions

Also it might not be bad to familiarize yourself with her health insurance. With various hospice and home care options.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey everyone,

Not all of you are friends with me on Facebook, so I thought I better pass this along here, too.

My mom passed away yesterday, due to complications from her treatment for cancer. She went peacefully and without pain.

It has been a rollercoaster three months since she was diagnosed with lung cancer that metastasized to her brain. I haven't said much about it, because, you know, when you're in the middle of it all and you don't know the end of the story, you don't really know how to tell it to others.

My mom had radiation for her brain cancer in November, and was taking Dilantin because she had a seizure at the start of all this (a seizure caused by the tumors in her brain). She also started to take Decadron, a steroid, becuase the tumors were causing swelling in her brain that was making it hard for her to think clearly and communicate.

The first week of December, she got a horrible rash that progressed quickly to blister levels. It turns out she is one of the 2-6 out of a million people who are susceptible to a very rare skin condition called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, which essentially kills off the underlying layer of skin. This condition is an allergic reaction to Dilantin and radiation can be a contributing factor. There's no real way to test for it until it happens.

The rash and blistering came to encompass much of her body, and is akin to second degree burns. Because of how rare the condition is, there are few known treatments. They started her on one they thought had the best prognosis, but the doctors essentially told us it was unlikely she would make it through that weekend in December.

So it almost felt like a miracle when the treatments actually worked, and she started getting better. But she had a long way to go. Her body was know healing her skin, growing her a new skin and allowing her old skin to die. She had to remain in the hospital for two weeks, and then in a nursing facility for three weeks, including Christmas.

On New Year's Day, she was allowed to leave nursing facility to stay with her friend, a retired oncology nurse. This whole time, she wasn't getting her chemo for her cancer, because chemo pretty much eliminates your immune system, and without her protective skin, she was even more susceptible to infection than usual. So we thought the cancer in her lungs would have spread. Well, not only had the cancer not spread as it appeared, it even appeared to shrink in size, without treatment. And a CT scan of her brain indicated all of the tumors there were either shrunk or gone from the radiation. We truly felt we had a miracle on our hands. The doctors were amazed.

She had her first chemo treatment a week ago. It was soon after that that her nurse friend saw how much weaker my mom's legs were. She had been on this Decadron steroid the whole time, and because of the long term use, she was losing muscle tone and strength as a side effect. She couldn't walk or do much with her legs and was generally weak. This past Tuesday, she started to fall (her friend was there to help her to the ground) and she had to be transported to the hospital.

It was while she was at the hospital that they discovered that she had a staph infection. They started her on antibiotics, but it turns out this was a tougher drug-resistant staph. It spread very quickly. We still don't (and won't ever) know where the infection started, but it could have begun as early as her fight with SJS and lied dormant, slowly growing while she was being nursed to health.

And in the end, that is how Mom lost the fight. This infection almost from out of nowhere, despite how well she was doing with the cancer. Funny, the twists life takes, huh?

She went peacefully and without pain yesterday afternoon. She just turned 63 years of age two weeks ago.

We are calling the extra six weeks she lived a miracle six weeks, and are wondering why God gave them to her. He must have had some purpose to it. Maybe for us all to say goodbye. Or to hear her infinite laughter and joy. I don't know. But I am glad we had that time. She had some special moments in that time, to let her know without question how much she was loved.

Thanks again to all of you have followed along. Your prayers have all been appreciated, more than I can say.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Our love and prayers are with you CR, I'm glad that in the end she went peacefully.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry to hear of your loss, CR. I'm glad that you guys were able to get those "miracle 6 weeks" and that she went without pain.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for your loss, CR. Glad that you were able to enjoy those 6 weeks with her.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry for your loss Matt
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family CR. Like terpkristin said, it was great reading you were able to spend 6 weeks with your mom before she passed and I will be thinking of her and you for a long time to come.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #27
samifan24
Pro Starter

So sorry for your loss, CR. Your family are in our prayers.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Chief, I never saw the original post, as it was during the real tornado of my grief. I am very sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you are feeling, but that will not really make you feel any better. My circumstances were similar, the diagnoses came out of nowhere, he was 65 and had retired just three months before, ready to enjoy life, really for the first time. He was also doing well with the leukemia and other things started to get him due to his immune system being zapped from chemo. Pneumonia eventually got the last attack and he had nothing left to fight with.

The main thing that took me by surprise, was, intellectually, I was prepared for it. I had mentally positioned myself to handle everything that was most likely coming. I was there almost every day the last 4 months, and while those days were precious, those were days I would not wish on anyone. I had to see my proud and noble dad deteriorate in every conceivable way. What I was not prepared for was how emotionally painful it has been, and how my emotions are on a roller coaster.

It has now been 4 months, and I still expect him to call and ask about his grandson. Maybe this goes away, but the only advice I guess I can share is to let yourself go up and down that roller coaster, because they tell me that is normal and healthy in the end.

For now, my heartfelt condolences.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
MIJB#19
Coordinator

My condolences, Matt.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Chief,

Saw your FB post and immediately thought of this thread and had to say my condolences...
Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #31
Bad-example
College Starter

Very sorry for your loss.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear Matt.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

My thoughts are with you and your family CR....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #34
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Very sorry to hear Matt, but happy that you had those six weeks (and a lifetime, come to think of it) to enjoy her love and laughter.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #35
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Thoughts and prayers CR
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Sorry to hear about this CR, stay strong.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #37
Izulde
Head Coach

Sorry for your loss, CR.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #38
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

So sorry for your loss Matt.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not much to say except so, so, sorry for your loss.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #40
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Matt. If you need anything please let me know. I'm local to you, so if you need someone to just talk with or whatever I'm here. My wife and I lost her father after successful surgery due to complications after a fall while he was healing, we have been there.

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Really sorry for your loss, Matt.

Will be sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Sorry for your loss CR
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #43
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear. Eventually some of the pain passes, but the memories live on.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about your mom Chief. My condolences to you and your family.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #45
digamma
Torchbearer

My best as well.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #46
chesapeake
College Starter

Sorry to see this, CR. Best wishes to you and your family.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #47
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Very sorry to hear this, Chief. All the best to you and your family.

As I have just started down this path with a loved one of my own, I know how hard this can be, how much it sucks and how wonderful whatever time you have with your family really is.

H_B
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #48
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy, man.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #49
Kodos
Resident Alien

Your post made me tear up, Chief. My sincere condolences for you and your family during this time of loss. Help your Mom live on with happy memories of her.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #50
BYU 14
Coordinator

So sorry for your loss CR, my condolences to you and your family. Always keep those memories close that make you smile.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote